Managers who could join the greats

Vangelis

22 April 2013
Prague, The Czech republic
SK Slavia Praha, Arsenal
Hi all,
at http://espnfc.com I´ve just read an article with title "5 managers who could join the greats". I was pretty suprised when I´ve read that, ´cause one of them (together with Klopp, AVB, Deschamps and Conte) was czech coach of Viktoria Plzen, Pavel Vrba

Here is a part of the article (whole article HERE) :

Pavel Vrba, 49, Viktoria Plzen

An outside choice, granted, but in an era when the big clubs stay big and the small clubs stay small -- unless huge cash injections are involved -- Vbra's performance at Viktoria Plzen over the past five years has been magnificent.

Vrba initially made his name by winning the Slovakian league with MSK Zilina in 2006-07 and then transitioned to the Czech Republic. Viktoria were traditionally a yo-yo club, experiencing both promotion and relegation three times in seven seasons between 1998 and 2005, but after becoming established as a midtable side, the 2008 appointment of Vrba took them to another level. He won the Czech Cup in his first full year and has since triumphed in the league twice, being named the Czech Coach of the Year in the each of the past three seasons.

Equally impressive has been Viktoria's record in Europe -- Champions League qualification in 2011-12 was a huge achievement, and after dropping down to the Europa League, they were only eliminated at the hands of Schalke in extra time. Last year, they thrashed Napoli 5-0 on aggregate before narrowly being defeated by Fenerbahce in the round of 16.

Vrba has the right characteristics to be considered for a job in a major European nation -- he's media-friendly, emphasises the importance of a long-term vision featuring youthful players and attack-minded, passing football. It's no surprise that he looks to La Liga for inspiration, although, arguably, Italy coach Cesare Prandelli would be a better comparison.

Described by Czech legend Pavel Nedved as a "fantastic coach," Vrba's job with Viktoria has seen the club record impressive UEFA coefficient scores in the past two seasons -- looking at 2011-12 and 2012-13 alone, they're ranked above Ajax, Liverpool and Roma. Vrba might be a relative unknown, but he has all the attributes to become a genuinely top-class coach.

It´s really amazing for Czech citizen that this "NONAME" coach can be compared to a bignames like Klopp or Conte. That it isn´t important to be in best leagues with great players and lots of money to became great manager.

And now I ask you: Who can be the next Fergie, Rinus Michels or Helenius Herrera? Discuss.

I think Jurgen Klopp is ascending quickly to this level, next season will be a good one for him if he can compete with Bayern despite them improving drastically.

(Grudgingly) Moyes has the mettle to be a great if he can succeed with United, and look tentatively forward to seeing how he does

Klopp should be there , not sure for others I think they are still far from that , Klopp for me deserve to be best coach of last 5 years right now , this guy ts amazing and so far has been the best , I hope he continua like this for long and never leave BVB , so far hes my fav coach I ever seen !

to become a great coach he needs to control his temper, you can pick some photo from him and show it children and they get scared and run away

his treatment to the 4. official is on the edge to schizophrenia sometimes, shocking

Moyes has already joined the Greats....great unknowns that is.

He needs to establish some authority w the club quickly because I'm worried about attracting and retaining breast talent to United as long ass he doesn't embody the scale and success off United..even its only poerception. Its not the great players we've had the fortune of having at the club IMHO..its that SAF truly seemed to ensure that the team went out to the last minute (+fergie time) to get a goods result for the club. Hope Moyes will continue the need for stability while being better at reconning the new reality of the transfer market a bit better than SAF did.

When i think of the all time great coaches i think of them "being the club". Hence the reason why in my mind somerone like Mourinho at this point will never join that group .

Last edited:
Moyes has already joined the Greats....great unknowns that is.

When i think of the all time great coaches i think of them "being the club". Hence the reason why in my mind somerone like Mourinho at this point will never join that group .

You are very prejudiced because you are thinking about Ferguson. A splendid manager isn't necessarily about "being" the club. In England you ahd a succession of Liverpool managers who were relly "being" the club and you have Ferguson and Wenger. I would also add moyes with Everton, what he did with Everton was phenomenal.

Outside of England, i don't see too much big managers "being" the club...the first one that comes to my mind is Guy Roux with Auxerre, but was he an all-time great on the international level ? No (Maybe with a club like Auxerre, that is irrealistic).

I will give you some names of big continental coaches, most of them never were "being" the club: Rinus Michels, Udo Lattek, Helenio Herrera, Trappatoni in the 70's and the 80's (not the carricature that was Ireland's coach), Sacchi, Capello, Ancelotti (the one i respect much), Van Gaal, Guardiola, Bielsa (my favourite and a very big influence on Guardiola)...they performed for several clubs. I did not mention Mourinho, but to me he is also a great coach (although we Belgians have even facebook groups about him and De Bruyne, but Mourinho is truly a great coach).

I'd be interested to read the general opinion on Ferguson from football fans in other countries. While he's obviously known for his longevity, does the fact he underachieved in top level European competition get held against him in terms of putting him up there as one of the best ever?

four cl finals is quite an achievement imo. I don't mind the lost 2 of them. fergie is as perfect as it gets.

how many coaches we know who reached there four times or more?

p.s. only two other. marcello lippi with juventus and miguel munoz with real madrid in 60s.

Last edited:
yeah, i don't think any football fan could possibly question ferguson's legendary status. in italy sir alex is considered as an icon. i remember a few years ago he visited the corriere dello sport offices for an interview (there are also videos about that interview on the web).... i clearely remember the journalists treating him with the same deference and respect u would show a visiting foreign monarch :D

however abou, i'm not sure i follow u about the "underachieving" point. to what season\competition are u referring to? coz i can't honestly remember man utd ever underachieving during ferguson's long tenure.

Back
Top Bottom