Mass Effect

9.5..........not a 5

@ flores, you could head over to teamxbox and read their latest mass effect dairy entry. The guy couldnt stand rpg, the same as me, but even he really liked the game and also really enjoyed the dialog. Something he would normally skip. Give it a read, gives a good view for people who arent into rpg's.

9.5..........not a 5

@ flores, you could head over to teamxbox and read their latest mass effect dairy entry. The guy couldnt stand rpg, the same as me, but even he really liked the game and also really enjoyed the dialog. Something he would normally skip. Give it a read, gives a good view for people who arent into rpg's.

Will do mate. :thumbup:

The last RPG game I played with a passion was Final Fantasy VII on PS2 which I really enjoyed. It took me months to finish it but it was all worth it. Ever since then, my love has died for this types of games. Considering the lack of time, interest and poor development of this types of games, I rather pass on them unless if they are really worth it.

I hope Mass Effect is a classic one at that and rekindles my love and passion once again for RPG games.

Stll unsure about this tbh.

Vids make the combat look weak imo but hope its great none the less.

Stll unsure about this tbh.

Vids make the combat look weak imo but hope its great none the less.

thing that turns me off is that there have been no screens/vids of fantastic looking environments or busy bustling towns/cities. It all looks drab and a bit unambitious in terms of locales - hope for a surprise but would expect them to show it off if it had it....

thing that turns me off is that there have been no screens/vids of fantastic looking environments or busy bustling towns/cities. It all looks drab and a bit unambitious in terms of locales - hope for a surprise but would expect them to show it off if it had it....

Totally agree. It will get great reviews but something just sems off to me.

Hope its great tho

Yeah same here, the combat always seems to be down some narrow corridor, whether inside or outside it all looks very narrow and funnelled, where are the open spaces?

Yep but like i said it will get great reviews as its another game hyped i just dont see variety except in squad orders.

Out on Friday so we wil soon see.

Agree with what you guys are saying, however to a certain extent its a different genre. It has loads of worlds/planets/area's to view and has large scale dialog within it. Imagine trying to do that AND have a bustling city with hunderds/thousands of people. The same for the planets you can view/explore outside of the main quest, to me they look a bit sparse and you have about 6 to 8 places to visit with the rest being empty. Seeing the combat vids it looks a bit "flat" as the structures/sites are small elements in sparce landscapes.

But then its not a combat/fps game. Maybe because it is real time and it contains a lot of fighting we probably expect more "intense" fighting and settings that increase it. From the vids I've seen that doesnt seem to be the case, it looks more about developing the character(s) and the multiple ways you can move the story with your behaviour/choices. And the fighting leads you to areas / moments where you get to interact and make more choices. Its not about the actual fighting but more about what/where you get to after youve done that, the latest eurogamer vid leads me to believe that, as well as it being a rpg from bioware.

For me it looks really good, because Im not looking for a game that has intense fighting/combat but one were Im looking forward to finding out the story and discovering the different planets and stuff. For me the main drawback for rpg's was the turn based combat and the randomness of the fighting. Last rpg i played was ff7 and i couldnt stand wandering around an area only to suddenly be transported to a turnbased fight. What i did really like about it was the different settings/areas and going through the story. Fortunately Mass Effect is more movie style with spoken dialog then endless lines of text that ff7 had. And for me the fact that the fighting is realtime and not random makes it look really good. If you are looking at this as a galaxy hl2 or something like that that also has a strong story content but is based on a fps model you might end up dissapointed.

Last edited:
I haven't got the time for games like this at the moment (the missus wants a baby so I am a busy man most weeks of the month) - I got bored quickly of Oblivion and fear I will with this. I will rent it first I think :)

tiktiktiktik so what you're saying is we can have really nice conversations in it? Hmm must buy then

If thats your thing then Yep :D. As i said its very much about the character development and the interaction with the other characters, through the talking system theyve developed.

I wonder if the NTSC (J) version is region-free. Play-Asia are selling it for £24.41 with £1.52 postage. If it's region free then I may go for them.

Taken from another forum:

"I just finished my first speed runtrough (not focusing on sidequests or anything mainly doing the main questline). I have to say I'm impressed, the game clocks in at around 20-25 hours on my first runtrough. When you do all sidequests and whatnot involved I figure you can nearly triple that amount of time. Then ofcourse there also the different backgrounds + different paths to take."

"Game of the year just did a run through;. I believe I achieved a great portion of side quest in addition to the story line. investigated every system followed up on journal entry. well it took me 22 hours. This game is GOTY easy. they just need to try to optimize it through updates the slow rendering can fuck with you at times and take away from the exp. All in all this game beats the shit outta Assassins creed maybe not same genres but the creed got really tedious with the running and jumping I felt tired just running around plus it got a lil redundant because of the side missions being the same all around. This game is the fucking bomb. playing through again"

Last edited by a moderator:
Read the same from the review embrace posted. During very heated/busy battles the framerate drops. I wonder when they will release games that dont have these problems.......

Reading more impressions and I REALLY want this game. It sounds like an improved KOTOR and so many people saying it's GOTY and best on the 360. This is my favourite kind of game and I could do with a more relaxing game than the frantic gaming of COD4, FIFA, Orange Box and Bioshock.

Quite a few people are mentioning framerate drops. Really, this kind of thing is unacceptable these days. It's not like the machines aren't powerful enough, people haven't even used the full power of next-gen yet we're getting slowdown already? It's just not on and smacks of lazyness.

That does it. I'm passing on this game. The ign review just didn't convince me and the framerate problems, unresponsive command buttons at times etc...just kills it for me.

Uncharted-Drakes Fortune, here I come.

The game was released here a week ago by Kmart and some ppl who didnt do the side quests said the game was too short but apart from thet they said it was amazing.
Its another 9+/10 games.

Too short? I'm reading posts by people who said they only did the main quest and it's taking them 25+ hours which, to me, is a LONG time considering they're rushing through. I like to do all the side quests and explore so this game will take me forever to complete :)

Back
Top Bottom