Metal Gear Solid 4

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)

Drekkard, I came in here saying how much I disliked it and I don't think a single person agreed - I'm glad I'm not alone, I thought it was horrible uninspiring pap with an outdated clunky control system which made it a chore to play. But I'm glad someone agrees with me now anyway. ;)

Believe it or not, I only just started this at the weekend, having completely rinsed Uncharted 2 since Boxing Day, collecting all the treasures, bonuses and extras.

First impressions of MGS4 are it's really good. However, I'm finding it really hard to start off with. Im only about an hour or so into it, but it's really difficult not being detected by the soldiers. I'm looting the place and finding all the little hideaways and crawl tunnels, but then suddenly I'm spotted and although it's a stealth mission, I end up firing shots off and ruining the stealth approach.
Also, if I'm under the cardboard box and a guard is curious, is there any way to make him avoid lifting the box to find me there? The only resulting thing to do is unload a round or two in the guys head.

Anyway, I've just collected the MG Mk2 and got into the hideaway so that's where I am now. Like I say, it feels like it's starting to open up, and I'm sure it does, but it seems a bit hard to begin with.

Also enjoying the cut scenes thus far, I realise there's plenty to come.

Last edited:

I really liked the first steps of it, as you'll see in the previous posts, It's about mid-game that it sinks big in my oppinion (and at least in Chris's opinion too). Cutscenes range from great (at the beggining) to utterly boring (towards the end), and the game starts quite creative but slowly fades.

Anyway, technically is a very good game and some levels are really great, only that th e rest seemed very uninspired, specially boss fights and some characters.

I'm interested in knowing your comments while you advance through it.

General consensus is that is a work of art, while me and my friends (great snake fans all of us) were deeply deceived at the end.

Been playing this a lot this week. Absolutely love it - it makes me feel quite nostalgic as I'm a huge fan of the series. I'm loving the cutscenes and loving some of the little jokes in the game. I really love Akiba - he's the man.

The game really explains a lot for the series and it's great to finally understand why some things happened etc.

Last edited:

I really wish they patched in trophies for this as it would give me a huge reason to go back and play this all again. I really enjoyed it and the last parts of the game were epic.

My personal game of the generation so far. Nothing has come close to Metal Gear Solid 4.

It's weird.

Normally I play MGS games over and over and over again (certainly the first one I'm still playing all these years later), but with MGS4 I've barely touched it since I completed it on day of release.

Not because I don't like it, in fact I absolutely love it, but I think purely because it was the most satisfying way to end a series of something I've ever experienced and I don't think playing it through again knowing what happens and all the rest of it would really hold my attention.

I don't think I've ever been more engrossed in something than I was when I first played through it, engrossed to the point where I sat there for an hour after the whole thing finished (I watched everything with full attention) just collecting my thoughts and taking it all in.

Maybe I'll just give it a go again at some point. Especially just to get back to Shadow Moses.

Same here Mat. Played it once but it just finished the entire series in such a fantastic way that I have no need to replay the entire game again. However I wouldn't mind playing certain segments again such as the return to Shadow Moses as well.

What they really need to do is instead of releasing a MGS HD collection I would rather they remake the MSX versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 for the PS3/NGP.

I think I'm only a quarter in, I'm fighting

Raging Raven with Big Boss' body downstairs with EVA

Some scenes already hit me as it brings back so many memories and seems to prepare the way for a sad ending (well that's my impression I got from the 'press start' screen before you even start the game).

For me it was a bit a long ass movie but I didn't know what they were talking about. A bit when I talk to clever people, I can't really remember the gameplay.

Did you ever play any of the other MGS games Jay? MGS4 is pretty much fan service for the most part which is obviously great if you do like the series.

To me the 4th started quite well. The middle was a bit hit and miss for me with the inclusion of too many hours of cinematics without a reason and the inclusion of some poor levels (following that guy in the streets, bosses that are killed simply by shooting them....).

Action cinematics were great but too long anyway. In previous MGS, cinematics had a very clear goal. In this game, they drag the story to dead ends all the time.

And the end was epic in one hand, but utterly stupid in the other one. The final third of the script seemed to be like a very bad soap opera. Something that never happened with previous MGS. And I'm talking specifically about:

Huge spoilers, mind you...
That little girl being captain of an army vessel? WTF!
Jokes about shitting your pants? Are we 10 years old?
All Otacon-related things were... ridiculous? How many times did he touch his glasses with melancoly?
Snake not killing himself makes no sense at all given the 100 pages of script before that.
That wedding at the end may be one of the most ridiculous things ever put in an ending cinematic.

I love the series but it did seem to take itself a bit too seriously after the first one. The horribly convoluted plot (and especially the ending) of the second didn't really help, the third was a lot better and probably the most balanced game in the series. MGS4 kind of speaks for itself. Yahtzee's review of it, despite being typically very cynical, summed it up quite well.

It's still a video game masterpiece though. Although I wish it had the replay value of its predecessors, I haven't touched it since my first playthrough.

Massive masterpiece indeed. However, I also noticed it has less "pulling power" when it comes to replay value. Which I don't know why, as this is the most complete game of the series and, of course, some of the best graphics in this generation.

I completed it twice. The 2nd was 2 years ago when I had a lot of time in my hands, so I decided to play ALL of them (even the MSX ones :) ) in the right sequence (timeline-wise).

But I do recommend any of you a second time, for the sake of experiencing the "Easter Eggs", which are many in this game. The photoshooting sessions with the Beauties is great! :)

Completed this last night. I thought the final fight scene was epic. The graphics were great, the music was great and the actual fight itself was awesome. I felt very nostalgic and excited for that fight.

When Liquid changed to Liquid Ocelot, then to Ocelot - it just felt so epic and I was filled with Nostalgia. It was beautiful when you could see the huge cruiser in the background. It was also amazing when Snake was crawling through the microwaves and you could see all the other characters on the top half of the screen. I'm so sad that the game ended, but it just felt right

It was a nice conclusion to the story with some big surprises. I think it was the least stealthy of the MGS games that I've played.

Last edited:
Trophy support and full installation option coming in a patch. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

Y0FPl.png

Metal Gear Solid 4 Gets Trophy Support; New Announcements Coming at August Event

Metal Gear Solid 4 will get a Trophy patch, according to an interview with Hideo Kojima in this week's Famitsu. The magazine does not reveal a date for the patch, but MGS4 is scheduled to receive a budget release in in August, so the timing could coincide with that.

The interview also reveals that Konami will hold a Metal Gear Solid 25th Anniversary Event on August 30 at Tokyo Midtown (the office complex that houses Konami's main office). There will be some sort of announcement at the this event, Kojima reveals in the interview. This announcement is apparently related to the vision he's previously shared about a game that connects people. Peace Walker's "Transfarring" component served as a test for this vision.

Unlike today's other Famitsu reports, which came from our usual sources, we're not totally sure of the source for this particular report, but we should have confirmation later in the day.

Update: This report does appear to be true! The Trophy support will be included out the box with a 3,990 yen "PlayStation 3 The Best" budget version of MGS4 in August. Current MGS4 owners will be able to patch their copy of the game.

Trophies aren't the only surprise feature Konami is readying for Metal Gear Solid 4. The game's new PS3 the Best budget version will also feature support for full data install. This means that rather than having the game install data at the start of each chapter, which is how things currently work, you can opt to have a full install at the start of play, and have no more installations for the rest of the game.

A listing at Konami Style for the budget version mentions both the Trophy support, which we first heard of via Famitsu yesterday, and the full install support, which wasn't mentioned in Famitsu's article.

The Konami Style listing says that the Trophy functionality will be offered as a patch to current users. It does not say this about the full install support. It's possible that the listing is just being vague about the patch, so we'll have to wait for Konami to make an official announcement.

The Konami Style listing says that the updated PS3 the Best budget version will be released in early August, priced ¥3,990 MSRP.

Thanks Shikashi. I've barely played the game since I got it. This might push me to now.

I've been playing the HD collection a lot recently, put me in the mood to play 4 again.

I'll hold off till trophy support comes in and absolutely hammer it.

Worse game of the series for me, and by a big margin. Snake Eater and the first one remain masterpieces even in SD.

MGS and MGS3 are for me the best despite the lower tec involved in both games.The ending of MGS3 is among the best I've ever experienced in videogames

Back
Top Bottom