Microsoft Flight Simulator [PC/Xbox]

Tried this on game pass after seeing the hype about it - bit disappointed tbh, not really interested in the gameplay but thought it would be nice to check out various cities and landmarks. Most of the game looks like arse unless you're in one of the photogrammetry areas. Maybe the natural scenery like mountain ranges would be more impressive, but I think the novelty of the visuals would wear off before too long.

This is apparently Old Trafford :LOL:

AA197FFE835D03EFFDB1B619C2AD45333DBBFCA3

Yeah, all satellite/streaming and live features are on (time/weather etc.). Graphics settings are pretty high but not completely maxed...

I find Google Earth's 3D view way more impressive and accurate than this, shame they couldn't use that tech instead of Bing + whatever AI they are using...

This should go to a 3D view of Old Trafford in Google Earth (ctrl+click to pan, shift+click to rotate);
https://earth.google.com/web/search...0mAo_sElAEcmTUCqpMzFAGe39C7kgDmJAIcYMQa0u5UvA

zkJTwJa.png

Last edited:
Are most of you guys using a Joystick? I had planned to use my DS4 as a controller but it doesn't play nice and with a keyboard its manageable BUT very inconvenient.... Might have to find a used xbox controller or just cheap joystick

I play in Medium settings and its quite nice (not as nice as the videos) but even the missus was impressed when I showed her our home

I'm using an old xbox 360 controller and am finding it to be good enough so far. There are sensitivity and dead zone settings for the analogue sticks, so it feels fairly stable to fly with.

Tried this on game pass after seeing the hype about it - bit disappointed tbh, not really interested in the gameplay but thought it would be nice to check out various cities and landmarks. Most of the game looks like arse unless you're in one of the photogrammetry areas. Maybe the natural scenery like mountain ranges would be more impressive, but I think the novelty of the visuals would wear off before too long.

I actually just went to manchester and also saw the same building ha, it looks pretty bad.

If they used google maps it would probably look the same as they are using the aerial view to process depth using AI (not 3D maps, but reconstructed via 2D maps available). Still, I think its a pretty good looking game (if not one of the most realistic looking ones). I def dont think it looks like arse, I've tried flying in remote places and still looks good. Granted its a flight simulator to kinda relax and basically fly a plane... Though I get how it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Hopefully bing maps information will get updated with time and they can improve the AI modelling...

I actually just went to manchester and also saw the same building ha, it looks pretty bad.

If they used google maps it would probably look the same as they are using the aerial view to process depth using AI (not 3D maps, but reconstructed via 2D maps available). Still, I think its a pretty good looking game (if not one of the most realistic looking ones). I def dont think it looks like arse, I've tried flying in remote places and still looks good. Granted its a flight simulator to kinda relax and basically fly a plane... Though I get how it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Hopefully bing maps information will get updated with time and they can improve the AI modelling...
If you're high enough up that you can't pick out how bad a lot of the buildings/roads look and just look at the lighting/scenery as a whole, it can look great... Flying through the clouds, seeing the weather effects etc. Feel like I can appreciate that just as much from watching gameplay videos rather than pushing my PC to the limit to render it myself though.

Maybe in a few years when they add more cities and the AI improves then it will be worth exploring a bit more. Got 3 years of game pass so may revisit it at some point.

:LOL:

I decided to fly through where I live now.

TBH the mapping is very accurate, and the roads are all there.

However the town is just covered in trees and the buildings are all just generic old London style terrace houses from the Victorian period, as if that's what all Brits live in.

Admittidely this game is stunning from the air, and when your flying through mountains.
Taking off from a Baleric Island is stunning - But there is severe limitations if you want to go for a quick flight round where you live.

I suppose this is the limitations with Bing Maps, as if they used Google Maps, then maybe they could of streamed the 3D data from there.. Or maybe if they wanted cities to be accurate there would be just way too much data to be stored in the cloud.
TBH though although generic buildings is kind of fine, I really do wish they could of made roads look like roads - Even on lower graphics settings.

whats the difference between VFR and IFR flights?
if i put VFR and AI on comand .. AI flying at 8500 feet..way to low..

But this is what, if i had my way, Old Toilet WOULD look like!!

Looks like the building Harry MacGuire currently resides in...

;-)

The new Crysis.... I wonder what the settings are when it runs on an XBox

I would suggest LOW on One S.
Medium with some low setting on X.
4K and HIGH on Series X.
With 30FPS being the performance on all consoles, I would expect the Series X to maybe have a 60FPS mode.
Or they might even do Med/High settings on the Series X to have a stable 60FPS.

As watched something online which said the Gears of War Series X version has the same visual effects as if it was running on an RTX 2080.
So it now seems the Series X is a monster of a machine to have a £700 GFX card in it, along with CPU, SSD, Motherboard - That is some very serious hardware for £500..

It's possible to convert Google Earth 3D models into this, which could really improve a lot of places not covered well by Bing/photogrammetry, though you would probably need massive amounts of storage space if you added whole cities like this as it would have to be on your drive rather than getting streamed as needed. I wonder if Google will take any action to try and stop this.

Maybe this method could even be used by modders on here to help make external views for PES stadiums etc.

Last edited:
Looks like there is going to be a massive amount of mods for the game over the next six months.

Lot of modders are importing images from Google Maps, to make places more realistic, and some modders have even imported the high res VFR from FSX.

The only issue is, if you start installing lots of MODS, you will need a 1TB SSD just for FS.

Microsoft Flight Sim has now been confirmed to be released in Summer 2021 for Xbox Series S/X.

However Microsoft have decided that the game will no longer be released on the previous gen Xbox One or One X.

Microsoft Flight Sim has now been confirmed to be released in Summer 2021 for Xbox Series S/X.

However Microsoft have decided that the game will no longer be released on the previous gen Xbox One or One X.

What would you think the graphical settings will be good those consoles equivalent to pc?
XSS: medium-high 1080p60?
XSX: medium-high 2k60/4k30?

I have no idea so I just threw out that prediction. Just wondering if it'll be better than my pc. It would be great if loading is improved

What would you think the graphical settings will be good those consoles equivalent to pc?
XSS: medium-high 1080p60?
XSX: medium-high 2k60/4k30?

I have no idea so I just threw out that prediction. Just wondering if it'll be better than my pc. It would be great if loading is improved

Your not far off.
I expect the same to be honest.
The series s will probably be lower, the machine is piss poor and I still don't understand why Microsoft released it.

Your not far off.
I expect the same to be honest.
The series s will probably be lower, the machine is piss poor and I still don't understand why Microsoft released it.

I have the series S and tbh its a great secondary device (the little I game I have a PC which will upgrade once I upgrade TV). For me at least given I currently have a 1080p TV. Of course if you want to download a bunch of games and play with the best graphical fidelity it doesn't stack up.
I would not have gone in to Microsoft Gamepass if they hadn't announced it and was ready to just bypass consoles altogether (there's your answer as why MS released it). Again, I think it targets more casual gamers and it doesn't really take away anything from the XSX.

The screens of the XSX look really nice

The Series X should look the same as if the game is running on an RTX 2080.
So would expect most settings to be aound the MED/HIGH setting - I know that sounds low.
But I have a 3080 and most of my settings are MED/HIGH.

The game is a GFX card breaker, and is certainly the modern day Crysis.
And to think they are adding DX12 features and Ray Tracing next year too - Performance is only going to get worse.

Back
Top Bottom