Microsoft Xbox One

anyone having lag problems when broadcasting? i have a 60mb connection and when i broadcast a online game it definatly influences on the gameplay, everyhting feels heavier, some friends also having the same issue, and thats on the lowest possible quality (800kbps) :(

Borrowed my brothers Xbox one for a few weeks. Gonna test it out fully later tonight but first impressions are mixed.

The tv, snap feature and other unique things are awesome.
The things I'm used to on ps4 like simple uncluttered dashboard, simple store, clear icons for things like battery and ability to get from game to dash to something super fast. I'm really not liking the experience of navigating the Xbox.
Also the way games don't seem to start updating automatically for you is a pain.

Titanfall is great though :)

Need to test the camera and voice stuff later at least just to experience them.

Can you only upload to the onedrive on the main account on the xbox one? I've saved a replay in fifa with the game dvr and edited it with upload studio (very cool kit). But it then won't let me upload to the onedrive. just says unable to do it try later or just upload normally... i presume to xbox servers?

Any tips for a new Xbox One owner?

Welcome aboard!

Game wise?

Aside from the obvious;

1) Powerstar Golf - bit cartoony, but loads to do and addictive
2) PvZ: Garden Warfare - looks rubbish, but is superb!!
3) Halo Spartan Assault is decent and is even cheaper now

Non gaming, stick your TV into the back of the XBO as its great to jump around between tv (or snap it) and your games, especially if you go all digital for the games. The "OneGuide" TV guide is in beta (and I've got it) and is showing to be really good. Works with Sky, Virgin, BT etc.

And if you dont get Titanfall then SHAME ON YOU!!!!

Welcome aboard!

Game wise?

Aside from the obvious;

1) Powerstar Golf - bit cartoony, but loads to do and addictive
2) PvZ: Garden Warfare - looks rubbish, but is superb!!
3) Halo Spartan Assault is decent and is even cheaper now

Non gaming, stick your TV into the back of the XBO as its great to jump around between tv (or snap it) and your games, especially if you go all digital for the games. The "OneGuide" TV guide is in beta (and I've got it) and is showing to be really good. Works with Sky, Virgin, BT etc.

And if you dont get Titanfall then SHAME ON YOU!!!!

It was titanfall that made me jump in ;)

Will have a look at those. Thanks for the info. I don't really want to put ma sky through it as my wife wouldn't have the first clue how to work it.

It was titanfall that made me jump in ;)

Will have a look at those. Thanks for the info. I don't really want to put ma sky through it as my wife wouldn't have the first clue how to work it.

I tried the tv thing and it worked okay. Bit of an arse having to turn the Xbox on just to watch tv though. I usually turn my consoles off and swap inputs to watch tv so this felt really wrong.

I tried the tv thing and it worked okay. Bit of an arse having to turn the Xbox on just to watch tv though. I usually turn my consoles off and swap inputs to watch tv so this felt really wrong.

Yeah, I like the feature and how it's implemented, but when I'm not playing on the console, it will be switched off. It's clever switching between TV and gaming, but it's only a source button press at the end of the day.

Yeah, I like the feature and how it's implemented, but when I'm not playing on the console, it will be switched off. It's clever switching between TV and gaming, but it's only a source button press at the end of the day.

I have all digital games, so its great to be playing fifa and just say "xbox, go to tv" to have tv come up, then (i'm in the beta) say "xbox watch bt sports one", then "xbox play fifa" etc.

Its also really nice to be able to snap the TV in. Often I'll be playing FIFA with Soccer Saturday snapped or something like that.

I have all digital games, so its great to be playing fifa and just say "xbox, go to tv" to have tv come up, then (i'm in the beta) say "xbox watch bt sports one", then "xbox play fifa" etc.

Its also really nice to be able to snap the TV in. Often I'll be playing FIFA with Soccer Saturday snapped or something like that.

Yes. I have two Xbox Ones and all my games are digital and I love being able to switch between TV, Netflix (or other streaming), and games in moments with voice commands. On top of that, with the two consoles I can pause/resume whatever I want (for games it's not a pause/resume, it's a save/load... still nice, but I wish it would do save states) and move between the two rooms.

Both my wife and I work from home a lot of the time and being able to move seamlessly between different rooms while keeping whatever media/entertainment going is terrifically convenient. Same for the kids as well.

When even a Trials game isn't hitting full HD@60fps there's something wrong there surely?

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Tr...080p-60fps-PS4-900p-60fps-Xbox-One-63383.html

Meh. Not sure about the source, but if true it's not terribly important as long as the XBox One version still looks excellent. If multi-platform games start looking glitchy and awful, there will be an issue, but if it continues to be a matter of both versions looking good, with the PS4 version looking better than it's not really something being "wrong." Ryse still might be the best looking game out for either console. It's not like XBox One games can't look really nice.

I'm guessing that the PS4 will stay on top of the XBox One in terms of graphics for every multi-platform game coming out over the next year or two with a possibility of Microsoft catching up if they get some improved tools to developers. But even if not, The Xbox One will likely keeps its lead in terms of console OS, which for me is a meaningful difference. I also greatly prefer the Xbox One controller to the PS4 controller.

If you are a consumer that is only getting one console this generation (and you are getting it today), I'd still recommend an XBox One over the PS4 (at least in the US where all the OS features are available) simply because it has better exclusives currently. Titanfall is a joy to play and is better than it's Killzone counterpart, IMO. Infamous and Dead Rising 3 are similar-yet-different open world games that are both enjoyable... but than the XBox One also has Forza which (if you are a fan of racing games) is probably the most fun racing simulation game I've played in a long, long time, thanks to it's AI opponent system.

What's interesting is that the XBox One games are more "next-gen" to me because of their new features, NOT their improved graphics. Dead Rising 3 looks nice, but not nearly as nice as Infamous:Second Son. However, the sheer number of zombies on screen and the seamless transition across the open world make it feel like an experience I couldn't have had on either XBox 360 or PS3. Infamous looks like a great looking version of the same sort of action games we had a generation ago (I have the same complaint for Ryse on the XBox One.)

Killzone is also the better looking game when compared to Titanfall. But Titanfall's player movement and combat is something new to the genre that makes it feel fresh compared to a better looking, but still the same, Killzone.

Forza looks great, as a racing game should, but it's in its AI that I feel like I'm playing a new generation of racing games. Gran Turismo games felt stagnant in that department over the last few games. Once I figured out how to make sure I had the best car for every race (either with better parts or tuning) the AI racers never really mattered because they never adjusted to do anything other than to race their lines. The AI in Forza (even without my friend's "drivatars") is a lot more "human" in terms of making errors and playing more aggressively. It can be frustrating, but it keeps races very, very exciting... which makes them ultimately more fun to me.

Overall, the Xbox One needs to catch up in graphics. And the PS4 needs to catch up in games and OS. I think both controllers are good enough, people will always have a personal preference. However, if the PS4 expands the gap in multi-platform game performance to the point where the PS4 version is the only version worth getting, than EVERY multi-platform game will essentially be a PS4 exclusive, so Microsoft better hope it's new development tools keep the console versions relatively similar.

The next big test will be "Watch Dogs." A potential AAA game that may perform significantly better on one console vs. another. After that it will be "Destiny." Then maybe "The Division." How will developers chose to release their games on either console? Will developers figure out a way to integrate the Kinect into typical games?

It's too early to say which console is going to finish as the "best', but I think what is really promising is that each console may actually offer a different experience. Meaningful variety would be nice.

Last edited:
Have both consoles here, I like the Xbox more, it gives me a better feeling, dont know how to describe it better....

I just can't get into the Xbox one.

Main menus seem cluttered.
Joypad feels cheap and the buttons pingy

Games wise...
Dead rising just doesn't grab me like the first did. I'm having to force myself to keep playing it which is always a bad sign.
Ryse is the same, I got past the opening part and the combat just felt so basic that I lost all interest.
FIFA feels slightly laggy compared to ps4 version. Just feels slightly off.
Titanfall is fun but I'm already getting tired of it. Doesn't have the same oomph that I get from battlefield.
Peggie 2 is fine
Zoo tycoon feels odd. It's a nice game but has no real game to it. Like there nothing like the stages to roller coaster tycoon where you have a set budget and goals. Plus it's ruined by having a terribly small limit on what you can build.

If I had multiplat games on the Xbox I'd probably like it more I think. They're mainly all I play on ps4 as the exclusives there haven't grabbed me either. Killzone is full of issues (I'm fed up of getting stuck in scenery or thinking I've found a shortcut underground only to find its a poorly designed, almost unfinished part of the level and I'm stuck. And infamous just has poor gameplay. Graphics are nice but it's just not that fun to move and play :(

Can't both PS4 and Xbone do that with Mantle instead now though?

No Mantle is a PC only technology.
AMD’s Mantle is a groundbreaking graphics API that promises to transform the world of game development to help bring better, faster games to the PC.
Mantle reduces the CPU’s workload by giving developers a way to talk to the GPU directly with much less translation. With less work for the CPU to do, programmers can squeeze much more performance from a system, delivering the greatest benefits in gaming systems where the CPU can be the bottleneck.

DX12 on the other hand is a new API Microsoft has been working on that should allow Xbone to have a 'significant' performance increase, as the API has been designed for both PC and Xbone. As currently Xbone games are developed in DX11 hence why Microsoft have used PC's in the past to show of the Xbone at games conferences.
Microsoft claims the new API will increase performance on average by 40%, if this is all true then Xbone should in theory be able to match the PS4 on resolution and performance, but as with all new technology and theories on percentages the increase probably won't be as much as the claims.
In the tech demo Microsoft showed off Forza running on a PC with an Nvidia Titan GPU in both DX11 and DX12 and claimed the performance increase was over 40%.
Microsoft also said that games can be patched when DX12 comes along to allow 1080p, but again if you were a developer would you bother patching a two year old game?

But anyway although this will try and plug the gap, you have to remember that the GPU in the PS4 is in theory 50% faster than the XBone, and the Xbone uses 10% of the GPU to power the kinect.

Back
Top Bottom