Microsoft Xbox One

Well, had a good long session on the XB1 last night, some early thoughts...

1) Hardware is amazing. Smaller and lighter than I was expecting, runs absolutely silent and I put it through a tough time last night - didnt hear a peep. Kinnect is also smaller than was expecting and controller - well, thoughts below.

2) Controller is a mixed bag for me. I do think its great, but its actually quite different to the 360 pad so its gonna take a while to get used to it. The haptic triggers though ARE the future!! Needs patching into COD though and utilised more in other games for sure.

3) The UI experience is also a mixed bag - and very much the WIP I was expecting. If you dont use Kinnect voice commands, its actually VERY frustrating to find a lot of things that should be to hand - settings for one. But, using the voice commands is great and very quick - I'd say if you careful what and how you say stuff, then kinnect works 99% of the time.

I actually think the times it doesnt work is down to the UI lagging, rather than any voice recognition. Sometimes it seems like its 'locked' and not able to listen? Weird.

Snapping stuff is cool (though IE didnt work for some reason yesterday) - but i think yea, overall, room for improvement which I'm sure will come.

4) Multiplayer... only tried FIFA so far and jesus - SHOCKING implementation of online, was really disappointed. To play multiplayer in FIFA, you have to snap in (or already be in) party chat with who you want to play (if you wanna play a friend this is) and then in the game, it groups who is in your party.

You then pick one of those to play. A message pops up their end saying "X has invitied you to play" and thats it?! You cant immediately jump to that open game - you have to navigate to Ultimate Team for example, then PLAY then the little window that says "Play a friend" has a "1" on it.

Really, really poor and needs sorting out.

That was the biggest let down for me so far with the XB1, but hopefully its something that either can be fixed, or will never happen again for future games...

5) THE GAMES! Thankfully, this is a positive experience!

Forza 5 - AMAZING! Anyone who has said this isnt 'next gen' is clearly mental. Its unbelievably good. Graphics are amazing, super sharp and smooth. The effects are great, sound immersive and the feedback through the triggers is better and more helpful than you can imagine.

The sense of speed in this game is also insane! Compared to Forza 4 (or GT) where you get all excited at the start, then dumped in a Renault Clio or something, this starts off allowing you to pick up a decent car right away and christ its fast! Was sweating palms on the first few tracks as its just so fast and the concentration needed under braking etc.

The 'Drivatar' feature is brilliant too. Genuinely fun racing now and so unpredictable. Out of 16 cars, I was regularly finishing 13-16 on the medium level avatars, but it felt fair and the racing was intense - just trying to catch and stay with the pack is so much fun.

I doubt there is a better next gen game around at the mo, nor a better console driving game on any platform...

FIFA 14 - oooooo jury's out for me!!! Didnt think I'd be saying this as I love it on current gen - maybe thats why. There is something just 'off' with it - and I think its just the differences, both in the controller and the way the game feels now, both of which I'm sure I'll get used to.

Aside from the gameplay (which IS quite different to CG), the rest of the game falls a bit flat with modes removed and stuff. It shows as the menus look a bit barren now too me?

Plus the issue with the party multiplayer stuff... dont know. On the pitch and the presnetation etc is excellent really, probably the best football game I've played maybe ever, but something nagging away says 'rushed'.

Definitely need to spend more time with it and fall in love with it all over again.

Marvel Lego - got this one to play with the GF as she loves Lego games. Its really well done, not totally my cup of tea those games, but can definitely appreciate it for what it is and we had a good hours fun on it last night.

Powerstar Golf - pretty much the hidden gem of the launch. Nothing particularly next gen about it nor anything that couldnt be done on the 360 I'd say (though it does look quite nice, some nice effects like individual blades of grass etc), but its just a fun game and the fact you get constant XP chucked at you and there is always something to do means it holds your attention. Love it!

Peggle 2 - Only picked this up this morning. Again, not a 'next gen' title at all and its basically "More Peggle" with nothing added. Still fun for a change.

Killer Instinct - Only had one quick go and I'm shite at these games. Can have fun button mashing, but to be any good, you have to be very technical and thats just not something I'm good at. Dont think I'll bother buying the addons, but for a freebie its a good showcase of what the XB1 can do as it looks amazing.

So, overall its definitely a positive, though I've picked up some negative things. Its a long term investment, but getting my hands on one makes you realise where we are with the XB1 - its a LONG road to get to what we are coming from with the 360, but thats also why I chose the XB1 over the PS4, knowing that MS will want to improve it and make it a better experience as we go along, and thats quite exciting.

Surely you would make more selling it on ebay then you could get a PS4 and some games?

Bsmaff in the ring trololololo....bsmaff in the ring trololololol he looks like a sugar in a plum troll troll!

Question re Xbox ones internet browser.

I go on a streaming website but I can't seem to get the streams to play.

Does the internet browser need to have something downloaded to have it play?

I just get a message saying "error loading player"

Thanks

Question re Xbox ones internet browser.

I go on a streaming website but I can't seem to get the streams to play.

Does the internet browser need to have something downloaded to have it play?

I just get a message saying "error loading player"

Thanks

Probably needs Flash - which browser doesnt support...

Is the lack of love on a Evo web for XBO telling, or just we having too much fun/no problems to post in here? ;)

Anyways, still loving my xbo - have my TiVo running through it now too and it's awesome to jump between tv/games/apps with voice commands - or snap SSN to the side of the screen whilst playing a round of golf :)

Overloaded on games now though which was a bit silly as struggling to find time to play them! Halo Spartan Assault is awesome and also grabbed that Max game the other day as something for me and the missus to okay together and she lives it.

Loving next gen!!!

Fun and no problems for me :LOL:

Playing Fifa and some Forza and thoroughly enjoying it, not really used any of the features on the XBone other than the record thing though but i didn't buy it for the features i bought it for games and I'm very very happy with that side.

I do need a new game to mix up from just playing football or driving though. Any suggestions?

Fun and no problems for me :LOL:

Playing Fifa and some Forza and thoroughly enjoying it, not really used any of the features on the XBone other than the record thing though but i didn't buy it for the features i bought it for games and I'm very very happy with that side.

I do need a new game to mix up from just playing football or driving though. Any suggestions?

Well as I say, I've overdosed on games!

FIFA and forza, same as you - and COD, which is... COD basically! I enjoy it even though it's not been well received. Apart from that;

Marvel Lego: typical Lego style game, but that's no bad thing as it's excellent. Sharp graphics, loads to do and me and the missus play it co-op which is good. Seen it's down to 29.99 now? Defo worth it.

Nba 2k14: best sports game ever made? Got to be up there. Presentation is off the hook and it genuinely looks and sounds like a real broadcast. Amazing.

Power star Golf: one of the hidden gems of the launch. Looks cartoony, but it's actually very decent in terms of both gameplay mechanics and online features. Doesn't have direct multiplayer, but rather you can "play" against up to 4 of your friends rounds on the same course (either watching their shots, or just seeing where that shot landed). Has a great social feature whereby practically any shot you take has a leaderboard to try and beat (and markers shown on the course of where records are). Also you get xp for pretty much anything you do and leveling up allows you to buy packs of cards which contain new equipment, powers etc. it's very good.

Halo Spartan Assault: brilliant twin stick shooter set in the halo universe. Perfect for little chunks of action as each level is a score/medal attack type thing. Leaderboards, unlocks and online co-op. Really like this a lot.

Max Curse of Brotherhood: beautiful looking platformer with a nice little mechanic whereby you have to 'draw' stuff to solve puzzles (I.e. Draw a vine to reach a platform etc). Puzzles are not too hard, but enough to make it more than a kids game. As I say, looks amazing and has plenty of stuff to find for longevity. Missus likes this one too.

Peggie 2: it's basically the same as peggle with very little different. No bad thing, but don't be expecting anything different to the original. Online multiplayer is still fun and local multiplayer is coming soon.

The arcade games are great too be fair and probably played them more than any of the blockbusters.

Let me know if you want any more detail on any of those.

Thanks for the heads up.

I was seriously thinking about getting NBA 2K14, from what i have seen it looks amazing but i'm no basketball fan so i think i would play it a few times then wouldn't touch it again.

I'm not really in to arcade games that much although that Max Curse of Brotherhood sounds interesting.

Think I'm just gonna wait until more games come out. Roll on the new Trials, now that's great a arcade game.

Oh I've also got Zoo Tycoon! Pretty good and not as cutesy as the cutesy screen shots make out.

Really need to find some time to invest into it though, only done the (10) tutorials.

I'm not an NBA fan but I've played the game almost everyday since release.
The more you play, the harder it is to stop playing.

think im falling out of love with gaming. Barely touched my Xbox1 since release and cant be bothered too now either.

Fifa is great and so too Battlefield but after 30 mins im bored and want to do something else.

Maybe im just getting too old for all this shit.

39 next week!

think im falling out of love with gaming. Barely touched my Xbox1 since release and cant be bothered too now either.

Fifa is great and so too Battlefield but after 30 mins im bored and want to do something else.

39 next week!

I'm the same way. For me it's primarily age but also lack of innovation and progress as well, I think. Most games provide no intellectual stimulation at all and I see no signs of them doing so on the new systems. That's why I haven't taken the plunge yet. I used to play a variety of games. Now it's mostly football and driving sims (which I really enjoy). Football could be off the radar in the next year or two though if things don't change for the better. Time to really start being selective about what games you spend your money on and don't pay full price for any of them:))

Same boat for a while now, bt gotta admit I'm being more pulled towards Nintendo's games now and portables.

39 next week!

Same boat for a while now, bt gotta admit I'm being more pulled towards Nintendo's games now and portables.

Old bastards, you should begin reading books and quit gaming life.

39 next week!

Should've got a PS4....

;)

So Titan fall is going to be 6 v 6 online. Now that's pretty shit.

EDIT: after reading into it each of these players has a Ai Titan running round with them so 24 players isn't too bad.

Last edited:
So Titan fall is going to be 6 v 6 online. Now that's pretty shit.

EDIT: after reading into it each of these players has a Ai Titan running round with them so 24 players isn't too bad.

Yea should be quite chaotic I reckon. Keeping my pre-order.

As for falling out with gaming... think we've all been there. I'm coming up to 38 and have a 8 month old daughter, so yea, different priorities.

Too be honest, I think XB1 is becoming my favourite console too be honest, love it and its on pretty much all day in our house with the TV fed through it and just being able to walk in the room and control it by voice (to watch a YT vid, or Netflix etc), then jump back to TV, pick up a pad and play a game of FIFA with the TV snapped in the corner etc.

But I'd still say 90% of my gaming is done on my iPad because its just so much easier to pick up and grab 5 mins of something. The new Football Manager on iOS is keeping my attention primarily due to the new cloud saves, so I can play a bit on the sofa, some on the train, then iPad in bed etc - very good.

Back
Top Bottom