Microsoft Xbox

I got an X on Amazon..
Now I just need to decide whether to cancel my pre-order for the X or PS5, or be a complete a*hole and keep the pre-orders and sell on for profit.

TBH I think I will get the X.
More powerful console, most of the PS5 games are also coming to PS4, so will just keep my PRO for a while longer.
The subscription model of Game Pass, I feel is a better way of getting games especially since Sony want £70 for PS5 games.

I went down to my local store to queue up at 7:30am. Luckily I managed to get one.

The manager was absolutely fuming. 100 people in the queue. The store had been allocated 20 X's and 10 S's.

I cannot get over that. How little stock of these consoles must there be?
I ordered online and it’s a complete shit show. Only TWO retailers offer All Access which comes with free Game Pass Ultimate for two years. The two retailers GAME and Smyths Toys websites couldn’t handle the traffic and no one has been able to use the All Access plan. I was interested in doing this myself but have had to buy it from Amazon instead. No two years of free Game Pass for me.

Why do MS only allow two retailers to offer this? Why can’t we do it via Microsoft’s website? It’s bizarre.

I ordered online and it’s a complete shit show. Only TWO retailers offer All Access which comes with free Game Pass Ultimate for two years. The two retailers GAME and Smyths Toys websites couldn’t handle the traffic and no one has been able to use the All Access plan. I was interested in doing this myself but have had to buy it from Amazon instead. No two years of free Game Pass for me.

Why do MS only allow two retailers to offer this? Why can’t we do it via Microsoft’s website? It’s bizarre.
One retailer here,guess they're trying to make shops more Xbox exclusive/friendly or something.
And yeah,you should be able to order from ms/Xbox store directly,which I'm certain you will after release.
I'm holding off my purchase til around new year,selling my old one first

One retailer here,guess they're trying to make shops more Xbox exclusive/friendly or something.
And yeah,you should be able to order from ms/Xbox store directly,which I'm certain you will after release.
I'm holding off my purchase til around new year,selling my old one first
I'm honestly thinking of cancelling my pre-order now. I REALLY want the All Access scheme. Two years of Game Pass Ultimate for free is an amazing offer.

I thought the game pass option was £28.99 a month on X for 2 years making it nearly £700.

Or is there an option to buy the console for £450 and get a two year free pass

I thought the game pass option was £28.99 a month on X for 2 years making it nearly £700.

Or is there an option to buy the console for £450 and get a two year free pass
Oh my god. I'm stupid. I assumed that it was the price of a console (£450 over two years in total) plus free Game Pass Ultimate. I completely read it all wrong!

Glad I've got the pre order now.

Bethesda is a mad get for Xbox, even if I will only miss Wolfenstein myself. Youngblood was naff, but I believe they could still have a true sequel in them. The New Order and the New Colossus are brilliant.

Bethesda is a mad get for Xbox, even if I will only miss Wolfenstein myself. Youngblood was naff, but I believe they could still have a true sequel in them. The New Order and the New Colossus are brilliant.

I expect most of the games to be timed exclusives, with some like Wolfenstein and Dishourned to be released on all systems at the same time.
I suspect it will mainly be Elder Scrolls and Fallout which will remain exclusive to Microsoft systems.

I'm honestly thinking of cancelling my pre-order now. I REALLY want the All Access scheme. Two years of Game Pass Ultimate for free is an amazing offer.
I'd do that,hold off til the first rush/hype is over,then get the all acces package,that's what I'm doing!
Not really interested in Game pass ultimate really,had it for a long time,and my plan was the cheaper game pass for console, especially since I have EA play pre paid for a year,if not I'd go for a ultimate (which will be bundled with EA play)

Well Games order service this morning was a complete shit show after a 100 tries I finally got to the bank taking my money out when everything crashed. The whole site went down after that the pricks. Luckily I had another order with Shopto that went through fine.

OK, I was looking for this information which makes the size of the hard drive a bit more acceptable:

"The Series S and X both do support external drives, but only for last-generation games. You can, of course, store Xbox Series titles there, but you’ll need to move them across to a speedy SSD to play them. Given the limited and expensive storage options for both machines, if you do intend on playing last-gen games, it’s probably worth adding some slower storage: The last thing you need is a bunch of old games taking up space on a high-end SSD they can’t take advantage of."

OK, I was looking for this information which makes the size of the hard drive a bit more acceptable:

"The Series S and X both do support external drives, but only for last-generation games. You can, of course, store Xbox Series titles there, but you’ll need to move them across to a speedy SSD to play them. Given the limited and expensive storage options for both machines, if you do intend on playing last-gen games, it’s probably worth adding some slower storage: The last thing you need is a bunch of old games taking up space on a high-end SSD they can’t take advantage of."
My plan is to get all my current games over to my two external HDD (4+4 TB) and have the internal drive for newer games (series X) until new drives cones out,not a big issue since I'm not going to buy that many games anyway

Well, for now I got a XSS .... Don't really know if I'll keep the preorder or I really need it as I don't really do a lot of gaming in my PS4 currently. Maybe I would if I didnt have to wait so long for games to load, so that's one thing I will look forward to... Plus Ultimate gamepass for 3 years.

I guess upgrading my PC will wait a bit, but I'm satisfied with the $299 price and having a bunch of games to play once I get it. Probably wont buy a game for 3 years....

Man, everyone on the planet must have been pre-ordering an XSX just now. Tried doing it at 4 places online that kept kicking me out before I managed to snag one from Microsoft.

Last edited:
Wouldn't something like this work? It probably depends on the cables of your surround sound system.
It's not HDMI 2.1 so it wouldn't pass-through HDR, Dolby Vision etc. which I'd like to take advantage of if I can!

Cheapest AV receiver I can find that can handle multiple HDMI 2.1 sources up to 8K (just in-case I get a PS5 in the future) is £649.

I wish Sony was handling the pre-orders as well as Microsoft (my PS5 pre-order was cancelled). I loved my original Xbox, sat in the back of a Walmart layaway section with a few friends in 2005 to get a Xbox 360 at launch, and bought an Xbox One later down the line. I'd contemplate getting a new one, but I already have a powerful gaming PC. I can play Xbox exclusives on Windows 10. With that said, they do seem to be making the right moves at the moment.

I've got a decent PC for gaming but the Series X is going to kick it's ass I think. I much prefer console gaming too - I've never enjoyed gaming on PC.

With that said, they do seem to be making the right moves at the moment.
They have won me over 1,000%. To the point where I have purchased £104's worth of Xbox Live Gold today (covering 30 months plus 3 free months which you can get by allowing them to set up recurring payments every time you redeem a code, then immediately cancelling it and redeeming another code)... Then converted it all into Game Pass Ultimate for £1, which adds another month on top.

34 months of Xbox Live, plus Game Pass Ultimate (inc. PC games, Project xCloud etc.), which should cost £11 a month (or £374 total)...
...for £3.09 a month. Or, because you can share Gold with another console (and all your benefits)... £1.55 a month each for the other half and I.

Not to mention the pre-order process being fair, sensible and as well-organised as it could possibly be (I didn't think I'd manage to get two)...

Not to mention being able to play all the old games I haven't finished yet from the last three generations of consoles...

Not to mention the hardware being the beefiest of the two consoles...

Not to mention the exclusives I'm looking forward to (superheroes and Japanese RPGs do nothing for me)...

Not to mention the acquisition of Zenimax and all the IPs contained under that roof...

Not to mention the build quality of the Xbox One X (which gave me no problems) versus the PS4 Pro (which I had to put headphones on to play, and even then I could still hear the fan)...

...and to top it off, the battery in my PS4 controller decided to stop working today. The third time that's happened to me in three years (and we all know how expensive controllers are). They're pieces of shit with no replaceable battery. It felt like fate.

Literally the only thing I'll miss about the PlayStation is Share Play, for playing single-player experiences (like FIFA's career mode) over the internet with my dad, who's in his 70s and needs all the help he can get to play games. Which is why I'll keep the old PlayStation, and just use it for that and nothing else.

I've got a decent PC for gaming but the Series X is going to kick it's ass I think. I much prefer console gaming too - I've never enjoyed gaming on PC.

A PC will only be better than the X if you own a 3000 series GPU.
A PC will be as good as the PS5 if you own a 2070 or above.

The X has some absolute serious hardware in it, for developers to say it can match the same PC settings as a 2080 Super.
£450 all in - To match a GFX card which is £650, with no additional hardware.

Last edited:
They have won me over 1,000%. To the point where I have purchased £104's worth of Xbox Live Gold today (covering 30 months plus 3 free months which you can get by allowing them to set up recurring payments every time you redeem a code, then immediately cancelling it and redeeming another code)... Then converted it all into Game Pass Ultimate for £1, which adds another month on top.

34 months of Xbox Live, plus Game Pass Ultimate (inc. PC games, Project xCloud etc.), which should cost £11 a month (or £374 total)...
...for £3.09 a month. Or, because you can share Gold with another console (and all your benefits)... £1.55 a month each for the other half and I.

Not to mention the pre-order process being fair, sensible and as well-organised as it could possibly be (I didn't think I'd manage to get two)...

Not to mention being able to play all the old games I haven't finished yet from the last three generations of consoles...

Not to mention the hardware being the beefiest of the two consoles...

Not to mention the exclusives I'm looking forward to (superheroes and Japanese RPGs do nothing for me)...

Not to mention the acquisition of Zenimax and all the IPs contained under that roof...

Not to mention the build quality of the Xbox One X (which gave me no problems) versus the PS4 Pro (which I had to put headphones on to play, and even then I could still hear the fan)...

...and to top it off, the battery in my PS4 controller decided to stop working today. The third time that's happened to me in three years (and we all know how expensive controllers are). They're pieces of shit with no replaceable battery. It felt like fate.

Literally the only thing I'll miss about the PlayStation is Share Play, for playing single-player experiences (like FIFA's career mode) over the internet with my dad, who's in his 70s and needs all the help he can get to play games. Which is why I'll keep the old PlayStation, and just use it for that and nothing else.

I haven't bought the all the codes for £104, I am guessing there are guides somewhere on UK Hot Deals for that.
But the reasons mentioned above is the reason why I am going for the Xbox this time around.
+ I have about 3 Xbox One controllers including the Elite which helps.
+ A massive mention for Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos Sound - Massive selling point for me, as my Samsung Soundbar is Atmos.

The PS5 I will purchase near the end of the console cycle and then go through all the exclusives like Uncharted 5-9, and next Last of Us but I know people love the God of War games, but they aren't for me.

----------

The other thing for me as well is that Sony just keep banging on about 3D Audio and the SSD.. Like these are absolute game changers.
The SSD is, but anyone who bought a laptop the last 5-8 years would know how much difference an SSD makes.
The 3D audio, sorry Sony but Creative want their 90's marketing material back.
Sony have just been so quiet on the console side about how powerful and good it is going to be.
They just constantly talk gimmics as if they are Nintendo.

The PS5 will still outsell the Series X, because the Sony fanboys are the best fanboys out there.

Last edited:
What an absolute cluster fuck from Smyth's. Eventually managed to pre order around 3:30pm.when website started taking All Access orders, got through the Klarna credit checks only for an error message at the final hurdle.

Yet, I have a DD confirmation from Klarna and no confirmation from Smyth's as to whether my pre order has been successful or not. Little to fuck all communication from Smyth's since.

Shit show, well and truly.

See, that's why they got me by the balls. A lot of them end up coming to PC, but the Playstation naturally has the most support for Japanese games (and a lot of my favorite titles over the past few years are Japanese). Otherwise, I'd pre-order an Xbox. I use my PC 99% of the time for gaming these days. I don't really need either of them, but I just can't help myself from buying a shiny new toy.

I haven't bought the all the codes for £104, I am guessing there are guides somewhere on UK Hot Deals for that.
But the reasons mentioned above is the reason why I am going for the Xbox this time around.
+ I have about 3 Xbox One controllers including the Elite which helps.
+ A massive mention for Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos Sound - Massive selling point for me, as my Samsung Soundbar is Atmos.

The PS5 I will purchase near the end of the console cycle and then go through all the exclusives like Uncharted 5-9, and next Last of Us but I know people love the God of War games, but they aren't for me.

----------

The other thing for me as well is that Sony just keep banging on about 3D Audio and the SSD.. Like these are absolute game changers.
The SSD is, but anyone who bought a laptop the last 5-8 years would know how much difference an SSD makes.
The 3D audio, sorry Sony but Creative want their 90's marketing material back.
Sony have just been so quiet on the console side about how powerful and good it is going to be.
They just constantly talk gimmics as if they are Nintendo.

The PS5 will still outsell the Series X, because the Sony fanboys are the best fanboys out there.
I’ve never understood fanboys of games/consoles. They’re cutting their nose off to spite their face - it’s weird.

I always buy both consoles but there’s no doubting the incredible deal and power you get with the Series X and Game Pass.

Multiplats are gonna to purr on the Series X too. Cyberpunk - ohhhh man.

I’ve never understood fanboys of games/consoles.

hqdefault.jpg

I guess that would be the Mega Drive for most of you on this forum.

They have won me over 1,000%.

Same here for some reason.... I guess they targeted me with the right price.... If the console was $399 I probably would have not have preordered (havent decided if to keep it 100%). It does suck to leave behind the library of games I had with PS tho (I had just renewed PS Plus in March)

The X has some absolute serious hardware in it, for developers to say it can match the same PC settings as a 2080 Super.
£450 all in - To match a GFX card which is £650, with no additional hardware.

I was dead set on upgrading my pc, but I dont just need a card I need everything except hard drives. So I am going to wait and in the mean time use the 299 console to get by plus the still chugging along pc for strategy stuff

It's not HDMI 2.1 so it wouldn't pass-through HDR, Dolby Vision etc. which I'd like to take advantage of if I can!

Cheapest AV receiver I can find that can handle multiple HDMI 2.1 sources up to 8K (just in-case I get a PS5 in the future) is £649.
Maybe a HDMI 2.1 splitter would help, but I don't think those exist yet.

Back
Top Bottom