MLB Power Pros - Ps2 and wii

aussiepesfan

Champions League
17 April 2002
Hey there,
Just passing on some gaming info, as i think this is a game more people should be aware of.

Based on a very popular baseball game in japan, ie. Konami's pawapuro series (Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu), most couldnt play it or even bothered since it was a japan only release, and if you had youre machined modded, itd be hard to translate...
Anyways, despite its cutey cartoony graphics (which puts most westerners off it seems), for me - the pawapuro series is what the winning eleven series is to football. Despite its simple graphics, its the best baseball simulation there is...and its fun aswell. Im from australia, and cricket is a big thing.. never liked baseball, until i played the pawapuro games (i began playing pawapuro12(Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 12) a few years ago)..
This game was based purely on the japanese leagues as were the previous versions. Then another version of the game called pawamajor (Jikkyou Powerful Pro Major League) came out more than a year ago, and although it was all in japanese, and only sold in japan, it was based on the major league in the us (since a few japanese stars play there) for the first time in pawapuro history. It was an easier game to play than the previous version, which made it even more fun (mind u i never played the game on the highest of difficulties). The game was a blast to play, particularly in multiplayer.. just AMAZING!!! I still play more JLwe2007cc than any other game, but if im not playing that, and i have a friend over, ill be playing the Pawamajor ;)
Oh, and there are all these cool single modes, eg life mode where u play as one player, and go through championships etc, but the japanese menus prevent me from doing so... (hence cant wait for this first time english version)

Anyways.. this is the site that introduced me to the game, including all the info required, full translations of menus/controls etc.: http://japanesebaseball.com/forum/forum.jsp?forum=86
It includes reviews etc, of the upcoming japanese baseball games.

Unlike the winning eleven series, there were no english patches for the pawapuro games, which is why im so excited about this game:

MBL POWER PROS :)

its basically, the first time its come out in english format, etc, and is bascially the equivelant to pawamajor2 (Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2) (which came out a few months ago in japan which is kinda like what we10 was to pes6), but.... it seems the US version, ie. MBL Power Pros, is even better.. ie. has a player stats edit mode, which from my understanding has never existed in previous pawapuro games. Whats happened is that 2K Sports and Konami's pawapuro team have joined forces to bring the game to the US market -… with the MLB and MLBPA license. Im sure alot will be happy about that ;)

So if u like baseball, and want what i regard as the best baseball sim (which despite its graphics, has so much depth) around you should check it out. I havent got it yet, but will be ordering it soon, and funny enough the only reason i found out about this game was from the advertisement on top of this evo-forum.

Here are some cool links.. the ball physics look amazing, as does the views when hitting into the outfield.. perfect for multiplayer if ask me ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJkI067k1FY - japanese version (pawamajor2)intro it seems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOIPqGmo4OQ - trailer :) including gameplay of Japanese version (pawamajor2)

gameplay movies of US version (MBL Power pros):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abBAONCH4eA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZOJu0BsJyk&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWIFQjrXMh4&mode=related&search=

new edit mode of player stats, which ive heard is the first time ever for this series
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpnhpB2OvMs&mode=related&search=

Here is a review (can find more at http://japanesebaseball.com/forum/forum.jsp?forum=86):

MLP Power Pros Impressions
User Rating: / 5
PoorBest
Written by Quietcool72
Thursday, 04 October 2007

So I came home from work today to find a package at my door from 2K Sports. I had no idea what on Earth it could be- since I knew we were caught up on most 2K Sports releases from their programs that Consolesports.net takes part in. I noticed the package felt like two games in their bubble envelope.

To my surprise, it was the PS2 and Wii versions of the brand new, just released MLB Power Pros. For those who don't know about Konami's "Jikkyo Powerful Pro Baseball", let me enlighten you. What Madden is to sports games in the USA, Powerful Pro Baseball is to the sports fans in Japan. It’s that big. I’ve heard rumors of the game’s accuracy and the very realistic game of baseball that it plays despite it’s cartoony graphics, but to be honest, I’ve never been one to mod a game system to play Japanese imports. So all I could do was read about the Powerful Pro series… which to this point was only in Japan (for the most part) and never included real MLB players.

Until now. In a very impressive partnership between 2K Sports and legendary game-maker Konami, MLB Power Pros was born… with the MLB and MLBPA license.

I really had no expectations going into the game, other than rumors I have heard about how the series looks cartoony, but plays a surprisingly deep simulation of baseball that mixes the best elements of current baseball games with the pick up and play mechanics of the NES classic “Baseball Stars” as well as “Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball”.

Still.. I had my expectations set for “arcade fun”.

I was half right… it is a lot of fun. BIG TIME fun.
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->
But the other part of it was that I felt like I was playing a sim! I’m still in shock about how deep this game is despite the simple mechanics! I took the Yanks versus the BoSox at the House That Ruth Built and started an exhibition game, and the 3D payers do look very cartoony- almost like South Park characters. The players have goatees and correct hair, skin color, dreadlocks, guts, etc. – all represented in a cartoony style that for some reason does not detract from the actual deep baseball you’ll play.

I still can’t get over that part! Many of you are obviously thinking I've lost it.. particularly when you see these graphics.. but trust me, there's a lot of real baseball under this hood!

Pitching is cursor based, and the pitchers all have a certain number of pitches (depending on the skill of the pitcher… example: Yanks reliever Mariano Rivera has a great fastball and an awesome cut fastball…that’s it, while starter Andy Pettitte has about 5 pitches). You pick a pitch with the d pad or the L-stick, and hit the pitch button. You then have about a second and a half to place the pitch with the cursor. (Perhaps less time than that...it is a bit challenging at times, and I found myself throwing my fair share of unintentional balls...which I like..).

Batting is 3D locational. YES, locational hitting! You have to move a player specific bat cursor and try to hit the ball in the zone where it crosses the plate. (Note: MLB 2K9, please follow Power Pro’s lead here!) So essentially you have 3D hitting…and the ball physics off the bat are INCREDIBLE. Yes..this game probably has the best “Bat hits ball” physics of any game I’ve played this year (including MLB 2K7 and “The Show”). Don’t believe me.. In my exhibition game on normal difficulty, I beat the Sox 4-2, and had 1 home run by Posada that I had to really work to get with my timing and location of the swing. Folks, this game only looks “arcade”!

And we have injuries. I was thinking about going for a double with Johnny Damon, but thought better of it and dove back to first. Damon hurt his game doing it and he was out for the game! I was seriously impressed!

I also noticed the guys hitting close to their averages, and that HR’s are rare. Basically, your normal swing gives you a bigger bat cursor to hit with. (A cursor as big as the contact area of the bat the players use..) but you can hit “R2” on the PS2 controller to go into power swing mode. In that mode, you get an extremely small contact area the size of the ball..or perhaps smaller (depending on the player’s ability, I’d imagine.) Needless to say, timing your swing in a 3D space, trying to pull for power, and trying to make solid contact with the cursor really brings serious sim elements into it. Mix that with the incredibly awesome hit physics..and damn, this is a GAME!

What’s more, the AI is aggressive. They pinch hit when necessary, pinch run, change pitchers when a guy is struggling… you name it. And keep in mind folks… I played on the default difficulty and got a tight 4-2 game.

Wow..I really can’t say enough about this game. Remember, I only tried the PS2 version, and I have yet to try out the Wii version to see how the Wiimote motion sensor could be involved. I read that the season mode has some very serious RPG/sim elements too. Haven’t gotten there yet though, but you can bet I will.

One thing though- no online play in either version. That hurts! It hurts even more because of how awesome the baseball is. I’d be itching to play people at this game online… if only it had online. Man..if only. I can tell you right now, from one game of it- this would be my online hardball game of choice. No question.

Still, what a fine baseball game, and – incredibly- after one game I can see that this game is a deep one. Take the old Griffey Jr. games, mix in the best elements of Baseball Stars, World Series Baseball’s hitting, MLB 2K7’s depth.. and throw in incredible hitting physics… and so far, you got yourself a highly recommended MLB baseball game.

Wow…

And at $29.99 for the PS2 and $39.99 for the Wii, it won’t hurt the wallet. I know I personally am very hopeful that this game gets a foot-hold over here in the States, because I think anyone who gives it a try will be sucked-in and amazed. Again, this is arcade LOOKING baseball. This is not some homerun derby aimed at little kids. Heck, batter power seemed way more realistic than MLB 2K7 to be perfectly honest! Believe me, my 4-2 score against the Sox was no arcade slugfest. I had to work baserunners, work the count, bunt, pinch hit, bat for contact...

All that stuff I'm used to doing in the "The Show" and the MVP series!

More to come as I dig into this unexpected gem. Now I can understand why this game is huge in Japan.

Three words though...
TRY THIS GAME!!!

Previewed by Scott Hemphill "Quietcool72"
Co-Founder, Senior Writer
Consolesports.net

anyways, now i need to find where i can order this game.. apparently its only $30 which is a bargain for a brand new game. Let me know what u think of it guys - if anything, ive introduced some of you evo peeps to a great baseball game ;)
cheers,
steve b

Last edited:
Anyone know where i can buy this game online. I live in australia, n usually get games online from play-asia..but no..they only have the japanese versions. Anyone know of some great US based online stores, ones with a great reputation?? price etc..

.. cant even find this game on ebay.. hmm

Nice thread Aussiepesfan. I couldnt wait for the english release of this game. And now I have got it on the Wii! \\:o/ Quickly played it last night and was a bit upset that it doesnt really support the motion senor of the controller. A or up on the DPAD is to hit. Going to play a proper match later and see it properly. Only problem was that since it was a US import the game would only run at 50hz instead of 60hz. But that really isnt a problem actually.

:)

Is it me or is the batting hard? I was hitting a few in the practice nets and I couldnt hit even 1! Does play great though. Will try and post more impressions later after I have played a match if I can. Does look like a very good game though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I havent got it yet, but have some of the previous japanese versions:
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 12 Final, and Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 13 Final, and Jikkyou Powerful Pro Major League.. and there are many settings u can play with to make batting easier, ie. you can go totally manual with analogue stick, or u can get some assist from the pc. Mind u, its not supposed to be easy batting wise, and Big hits (small batting cursor) should only be used when on no strikes or 1 strike ... depending how risky u wanna be...

Yeah took me a while just to get my first home run.. like a week of playing. Stick with it, its an amazing game ;) oh yeah.. give multiplayer a go if u can.. much easier (providing the opponent isnt a veteran) and heaps more fun ;)
Now to get my hands on this game, just ordered it from ebay ;)
cheers,
steve

Quick First Impressions of MLB Power Pros on the Nintendo Wii:

So I have finally had some time to sit and play MLB Power Pros a new baseball game to the western markets. Made by both 2K and Konami, this is basically the english language version of the Jikkyou Powerful Pro series. Over in Japan this game has a huge following and is one of Konami's key titles in their portfolio.

The first thing you will notice is the amount of options in MLB Power Pros. There is a lot of them. Exhibition, Season, League, Practice, Shop, Baseball Cards and specifically for the Wii version the Wii Remote match option.

MLB Power Pros allows you to use either a Gamecube controller, the Wii remote and nunchuck or the classic controller. Playing a normal game without the motion sensing I began a match with NY Yankees against Chicago Cubs. All teams are licensed and there is full commentary.

After some time of understanding the controls and playing with the difficulty levels I began to get the hang of pitching and batting. With pitching you have the usual choices of cuts, changes etc. Batting has the choice of big swing and normal hit as well as a bunt. One thing you will notice is the exact precision of the shots. Overall after playing with the game and its numerous features you start to understand how good this game really is. Look past its cartoony graphics and you have an absolutely brilliant and stellar baseball game!

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom