MMORPGs

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
I've never been involved with any of these as I'm not a big "one thooousand years ago, there were big swords and ogres" person (at all), but I keep reading news stories about World of Warcraft and everyone seems to think it's pretty amazing.

Which are the best ones out there? Would someone who's not a fan of oldé worldé hack-and-slash games get into WoW? I've heard about EVE as well, which is a futuristic version - is that any good?

Does anybody here play MMORPGs?

I don't have any interest in MMO's to be honest, I certainly don't have a desire to pay £8.99 a month subscription fee just to play WoW!!

Funny you just created this thread Jack. My mate just bought WoW and subscribes and it's all he plays. But he has always liked that sort of game so maybe it's not for me.

I liked Oblivion but it soon got boring. I like pick-up-and-play games in my old age!

• Staff
I don't have any interest in MMO's to be honest, I certainly don't have a desire to pay £8.99 a month subscription fee just to play WoW!!
I agree, but I'd happily pay £100 for a year's worth of gameplay, IF the game was really good. Two XBOX 360 games are £100 (well, the RRP is), and if they were really good games then I'd buy them in a second. But it would have to be worth it.

I might try the 14-day trial of EVE, as I'd prefer spaceships and aliens to horses and orcs.

I agree, but I'd happily pay £100 for a year's worth of gameplay, IF the game was really good. Two XBOX 360 games are £100 (well, the RRP is), and if they were really good games then I'd buy them in a second. But it would have to be worth it.

I might try the 14-day trial of EVE, as I'd prefer spaceships and aliens to horses and orcs.

Well that is an interesting mind set in itself, I don't want a years worth of gameplay out of one game. I like to start a game a finish it, I couldn't stand playing a game with an ever growing number of quests - I need to have an end goal.

• Staff
That's a good point actually, but I do have some "long-haul" games (i.e. Football Manager - which I've stopped playing, hence the interest in MMORPGs). You can set yourself goals in longer games, and the best thing about that is you can then go out to better them, rather than being greeted by a "Game Over" sign.

I've just downloaded a 14-day trial of EVE and I've got to say it seems a lot of fun, flying around, blasting pirates and stealing their cargo... But how repetitive that will become remains to be seen. I'm downloading a WoW trial as well but it's 2gb - so it won't be finished until tonight. :|

I'm quite surprised at how good EVE is, actually!

It's a shame there isn't more variety in MMORPGs, though. I mean, I would love a Battlefield MMORPG where you're sent out to various stations around the world (or even in one country), sent out to battles under different commanders with different missions... Would be fantastic fun. And I would love a game with the gameplay of FIFA/UEFA/PES where you control one player, work your skills up, be assigned to a crap 75th-Division team and work on your skills every day, selected for some matches and left out for others, being sold, let go, being bought, watching your value rise and fall...

I'd even love a huge online game of Football Manager - but the games only last a week before the guy who's in last place suddenly decides he doesn't want to play any more.

Jack when I played WoW a while ago I got really into it and it really is the best MMORPG out there. Unfortunately I'm not as nerdy as most of the people who play it and it pissed me off a bit how many secrect slang words there are and everything between the geeks. It has a quite a steep lurning curve but you do start of with the rest of the newbies so its alright. It's a lot of fun though and they just released an expansion with a whole new continent.

I don't have the time for MMOOOOORRRGS. I like having sex occasionally too.

I wasn't really into MMORPGs until I played WoW. Don't play it anymore, but when you first start to play it, its like Football Manager. Really sucks you in and you'll find yourself immersed for hours.

Back
Top Bottom