Moggi tapes - Italian Football Scandal

Re: Moggi Tapes

Prominent Players Exposed In Italian Betting Scandal

The web of corruption that appears to have ensnared Italian football is gradually being untangled by official investigators, but each new revelation prompts a further sharp intake of breath.

Today it is revealed by the Torino and Parma magistrates probing match-fixing suspicions raised by unusual betting patterns for a number of matches last season that four Juventus players allegedly illegally bet on the outcome of last season's Coppa Italia tie between Atalanta and Juventus, which Atalanta won 5-3 on aggregate (the first leg finished 2-0 to Atalanta, the second was a 3-3 draw in Turin).

The players alleged to have placed bets have been named as Gianluigi Buffon, Enzo Maresca (now at Sevilla), Antonio Chimenti (now with Cagliari) and Iuliano (now at Sampdoria)

The betting scandal has come to light through phone calls intercepted by the Guardia di Finanza, a special police force that deals exclusively with financial crime.

The intercepted calls are alleged to expose the existence of a syndicate that used fake names to transfer money to phoney accounts that would be used to place bets which were sometimes as high as 100,000 Euros per game.

It was the size of the bets that first alerted the suspicions of the investigators.

Potentially the alleged wrong-doers, if proven guilty, could face fines, suspensions and possibly even jail terms.

For the most high-profile of the four, Buffon, his involvement in the forthcoming World Cup for Italy is now thought to be in jeopardy.

that's a shame
we will go in serie b with ac milan :(
but i'm more juventino today than yesterday...

BARCOLLO MA NON MOLLO

JUVENTINO OGGI PIU' DI IERI

Last edited:

Spero che la Juve rimane in A. Dont want to see Inter as title contenders...or we'll win every year or.... we will see Inter in CL every year.

Scholes18 said:
For the most high-profile of the four, Buffon, his involvement in the forthcoming World Cup for Italy is now thought to be in jeopardy.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :cry:

i hate inter and I HATE ROBERTO MANCINI...brizzolone spero ke lo sgamano mentre telefona ai froci

how high would you rate the chance Juve will be relegated for all this?

I don't think that'll happen. Nobody likes to get shot or have their lives or their families in danger and die just so a team gets justice and sporting competitions remain fair. (Which is what Stan was saying and it's the way it should be)

But think about it even though it's wrong sadly it takes serious balls to make these decisions (especially when it's against a club with millions and millions of hardcore fans not just in Italy but abroad too) and the fact that you know if you do, your life and your loved ones could be OVER, real justice probably won't prevail (don't know if it's right word)! :(

Just my opinion but I hope I'm wrong!

OPM said:
how high would you rate the chance Juve will be relegated for all this?

Though the dirt is stacking, I would personally say the chances aren't that big. The consequences for italian football would be way to big to handle, italian football would be in chaos. Besides that, lack of evidence will probably save the clubs in question. Having said that, I do expect some sort of punishment, just not one of relegation.

:( this is probably one of the worst moment for Italian football, at least over the last years..

I don't think either FC Juventus or AC Milan are going to be relegated, for one simple reason: without them, Serie A would not exist.

also I expect a punishment for both teams, and for other teams too, but it won't be as hard as relegation, imho..

I'm sorry to say this, but I'm aware that all of these 3 guys below will make it without any consequence, as always.. and this hurts!!
bannerlupin1iw.gif

That's the way it always will be with big clubs: individuals get punished, but the clubs not....
If it is true that Milan and Juventus have cheated, the should relegate and then everybody must face it: Inter and Romaarethe big clubs in Italy (if they did not cheat aswell)...what's wrong with a champion that isn't Juventus or Milan. And why could Udinese, Palermo, Livorno or Chievo not be champion...i would lovethat.

Oh and Gedtillo, judged by Belgian standards Madrid still cheated...you just gave a longer version of what i told...basically they manipulated local authorities to sell their properties for higher value...in Belgian that is corruption...could be a cultural difference.

Last edited:

Kleimann said:
I don't think either FC Juventus or AC Milan are going to be relegated, for one simple reason: without them, Serie A would not exist.

Both for me have no excuse! (and I like both)

Life is like sacrifices, if you want to win, work for it! Only the frustranted ones cheat. It will be more compectitve league with Inter, Fiorentina, Roma, Lazio and Livorno.

Forza Inter e Roma!

SPiTFiRE said:
Both for me have no excuse! (and I like both)
Life is like sacrifices, if you want to win, work for it!
You're right, mate.. I agree with this, and if AC Milan deserves to be relegated, well, I can't do anything about it except keeping on loving my team, more than before..

But that's not the point.. The only thing I wanted to underline with that post is that probably they won't be relegated for reasons linked to MONEY and INTERESTS.. No one (LEga Calcio for first) would like to LOSE MONEY because of the relegation of AC and Juve..

I know it sucks, but I think it would end this way.. There's way 2 much money involved!!

Im a big fan of Seria A, but if this is how its going to run its league its a joke. If all these claims are true then they should be relagated. If the reason that no one is relagated is money then it shows how a corrupt footballing nation Italy are. Then if this is the case how can anyone belive that either the National side or a club side have won either a World cup or a European compatition without MONEY involved.

Well, it's just my opinion.. but the way LAZIO and PARMA (and other teams) were saved from bankrupt, while Fiorentina was drowning, too, and no-one made anything to save them, made me wonder WHY it was happening..

I hope I'm wrong, but that's the way I think that things go.. we'll see in these next days then.. I hope it's not so but I'm not very confident about it!! Btw, I think that the National team is not involved.. And I think also that in European competitions things are a bit different.. How come Juve isn't winning anything in Europe?

Kleimann said:
How come Juve isn't winning anything in Europe?

That is something that puzzles me for years...

what a joke to put this pic in this thread... anyway, italian football now is the biggest joke ever.

Stan said:
That's the way it always will be with big clubs: individuals get punished, but the clubs not....
If it is true that Milan and Juventus have cheated, the should relegate and then everybody must face it: Inter and Romaarethe big clubs in Italy (if they did not cheat aswell)...what's wrong with a champion that isn't Juventus or Milan. And why could Udinese, Palermo, Livorno or Chievo not be champion...i would lovethat.

Oh and Gedtillo, judged by Belgian standards Madrid still cheated...you just gave a longer version of what i told...basically they manipulated local authorities to sell their properties for higher value...in Belgian that is corruption...could be a cultural difference.

They sold their properties for its fair and proper value. They only ASKED the council to give them what they had given everyone else around before, as they deserved. That's not only legal, but fair and had to be done. If not, they would have discriminated Real Madrid for no reason at all (why should they not be allowed to build in their land while everybody else around had been allowed to?).

It puzzles me how you can say that what I tell is a "shorter version" of "Real Madrid manipulated..." and the likes. They manipulated nothing. You just need local authorities' permission to build, they asked for that and the got it, as every neighbor had before. It is hardly corruption anywhere... and I'm starting to get tired of the "cultural difference" arrogant tone... :(

nt89 said:
i hate inter and I HATE ROBERTO MANCINI...brizzolone spero ke lo sgamano mentre telefona ai froci
Milanista said:
I hate Mancini too, hes a baby.
Insultate pure mancini poi voglio vedere alla fine dell'estate ki riderà tra noi, con la rube in b ed il bbilan penalizzato solo xkè ha galliani e berlusca se no anke lui in b, ieri con la roma nn mi è sembrato ke gila facesse di tutto x stare in piedi, ehmmm;)
Come diceva il grande Peppino "Quando do la mano ad un milanista dopo me la lavo...Quando do la mano ad uno juventino dopo mi conto le dita":lol:

Back
Top Bottom