Most Popular TV shows in your country?

EatonTJ

Why Today Doesn't Suck.
11 April 2002
Since Evo-Web has many members from all sorts of countries, I thought there would be no place better to learn about what the hell everyone is watching around the world. Just give the show name a short description if you don't mind.

Here in the USA, its the offseason for television. The normally most popular shows (CSI, House, American Idol, Without a Trace) are all showing repeats... leaving the door open for America to find new shows to watch. The top two shows of the summer have been:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. America's Got Talent - This show is essentially, a freak/talent show. It is pretty much a copy of American Idol, except besides just singers, there are jugglers, sword swallowers, contortionists, magicians, people who play music from bodily instruments, etc. It appeals to the lowest common denominator, but since there is very little else on... people seem to watch.

HOWEVER, there is a pretty great reason to watch despite the general crapiness, and that is David Hasselholf. Never have I seen a man more in love with himself, and he has allowed this dillusion to pierce him to his core. I swear he wakes up every morning, grabs his penis, rips it off with both hands, and sticks it up his ass to fuck himself. He truly is a television miracle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

2. So You Think You Can Dance? - This is another "talent" show, but with the exact format as American Idol (or any other, you think you are a pop star program) except instead of individual artists, its dancers, or groups of dancers. My wife watched this for about a half an hour before I realized what was going on so I have now sadly contributed to the viewing audience.

So, what the hell are people watching in your country?

Here we're watching the same shows as you guys in US.

Unfortunately my parents & little sis do follow BOTH of these shows (Especially dance one) so I've had to watch a few mins of it as well.

The America got talent show though has Piers something (The English dude) as one of the judges and he's f'n hillarious! :mrgreen:

I don't know if you watched the episode a couple days ago but that was the first time I watched this show and after an Irish-American family of 8 or 9 people did their act which was called "Celtic Spring" (which including tap dancing while playing violin and lots of other stuff.. the WHOLE family including a very young boy and the mom and dad)... Piers asked the group who had now finished performing and was very excited to hear all the positive feedback or praise:

Piers: "Do you want to win?"

Group answered.. yes of course we want to win...

Piers: Then do you want my honest opinion?

Group: yeah sure..

Piers: "SACK the mom, dad and the little brother!!" :mrgreen: :lmao: :lmao:

The group was shocked.. the little brother and the younger sister both of which are very young started crying... :lmao:

The kids were saying.. No they're our parents.. they're our backup band.. we won't do that.. and the audience was booing him harder than they boo Simon on American idol!! It was harsh but f'n hilliarious!! :mrgreen:

Then the mom got on the mic and said we're a family and Piers said: "Mom, you gotta go! If you want to win a million dollars and wouldn't give up! :lol:

Now I don't know how funny this sounds written out but if you actually watched it, it was one of the funniest things on TV for a long long time!! :lmao:

From English series I think in Peru the most popular are Smallville (Warner Bross Channel), American Idol (Sony) (I don't like personally), Scrubs (Sony), C.S.I. (Sony) and Gilmore Girls (Warner Bross Channel) (really too boring for me).

But are others as the mexican "Otro Rollo" with Adal Ramones (Canal de las Estrellas), "Bailando por un sueño" (Canal de las Estrellas) and from peruvian shows "Habacilar" (América Televisión), "Pataclaun" (Frecuencia Latina) (not more in TV :( ) and "Así es la vida" (América Televisión).

In Italy we get basically all the new US tv shows since we have Fox and channels like that with original language and HD. But the most popular remain to be Alias, House, CSI (all of them), Lost, ER, 24..... much more but I cant remember as I dont watch them all.

All those American shows everyone allready mentioned.
I prefer those old Enlish shows like Blackadder, Fawlty Towers and The Young Ones.

In England I would say at the moment.

Big Brother, 24, lost.

Most of the American sitcoms are popular Friends,Will and Grace,Scrubs.

So what the hell? All of you watch some sort of US show? That's a bit boring, I was hoping for some cool shows I've never heard of...

Although I don't live in Ireland any more I've lived there long enough to tell you about Fair City, Fair City gives a look at the real Dublin. basically it is Coronation street, but in Dublin and thick Dublin accents. As far as I remember there's a shop, and a few homes, and you get to see stories of these peoples lives, like most shows. I think the daughter of the people that own the shop, she's a ho, and they have to sort that out. Then there was this guy called Jimmy who used to ride around on a motorbike and wear the same leather jacket ALL the time!! Everywhere he went, having cornflakes in the moring he'd be wearing it, later on at the pub sinking down a few pints he'd still have it on him. It must have been stuck to him, in Season 6 he was still wearing the same fucking jacket, he probably showered with it on. I haven't seen the show now in a while so don't quote me on all this. Other classics from Ireland was of course Bracken, The Riordans, Glenroe, Wanderly Wagon (A fucked up kids show, worse than teltubbies, these people were all on drugs, we were meant to believe that the caravan could fly), Bosco (another fucked up kids show full of sexual psnuendos, "what's behind magic door" "knock knock open wide", great stuff, excellent adult entertainment now) and The Late Late Show is our big talk show that has ran for years and years, kind of like a mix of Letterman/Bill Maher & Ed Sullivan.

In France, now it's Lost S2, DH S1 finished and lots of CSI-like.
Grey's Anatomy is the new hit here, before Prison Break stars at the end of the month. And 24 S4 airs after midnight. WTF !!!

Basically, all the big shows are shown in France but the best are on private channels (Scrubs, Deadwood, Shield, House...).

Dermot said:
Bosco (another fucked up kids show full of sexual psnuendos, "what's behind magic door" "knock knock open wide", great stuff, excellent adult entertainment now

to quote myself on this, I just find it hilarious sorry...Just watch this clip and listen to the words they are actually saying, it's the biggest racist sexual oriented spiel I've ever come across.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi1je3kWFUU

"all the animals are excited in the wind" "like horses"

"there's lots of wildlife in Africa.....almost everything I've seen today came from Africa...they can run very fast"....."Do they get to run very fast here?"

"oh look he's eating a banana...that's tommy....tommy loves bananas, he eats the whole banana.....skin and all.......yes, every little bit"

Well, foreign shows:
all the SCI's, even though CSI New York and already ended it's season 2 they are making a rerun. There are two channels here that show CSI all of them, just so you see the popularity of these shows around here. Everyday you can see CSI. Dr.house, the woman President(?)lol, 24 season 5. but I really love seeing those 6 hours reruns. Lost was superbly popular aswell, but since it as already ended there will be probably a rerun before the new season opens.Smallvile WAS popular, but it lost interest. Alias is also relativly popular. The Shield=personal fav.

National shows: Soap Operas, all the way. Altough Brazilian soap operas are foreign, they speak the same language. Everyday there more than 4 different ones on the 3 major channels. Portuguese and/or brazilian.
Currently there are no reality shows, but it shoulnd't take long for one to appear. on a personal note : I HATE REALITY SHOWS.

that 70s show is the best for me in n.america.....does it come on in europe..or else where...?? too bad it ended... =(

Blackadder...was my favorite british show...pretty hilarious...

I think there`s too many shows out here I like "The dog whisper" and "I shouldn`t be alive" my favorite is "Dream Team" most popular in this country? who knows from your selection everybody watches the same thing... what a small world we all live...we`re all connected

Prison Break just break the record of the biggest audience in France of all time for a serie (7 Millions) and that versus Lyon Dynamo Kiev in Champion's League !

In Belgium we've just had a Dutch Belgian show that was very good "de parelvissers" (the pearl fishermen). It's about some friends who used to have a television production company. They all worked together with one charismatic friend of theirs which was the leader. One day the big charisamtic leader disappears with all the money and nobody ever hear s baout him.
The show starts ten years later when the (much) younger brother of the disappeared charismatic leader is a documentary maker and brings all the remaining people (who all have different jobs) together duroing a weekend to reconstruct what happened. All this is filmed Big Brotherwise and the ego of the reamining people clash all the time...great television.

Another original Belgian format which was sold in different countries wa called "De Mol" (the mole). It's based on reality television but is uch more original. Ten people are brought together in a foreign region (there were three series: one in the Provence, one in Italy and one in Spain) and have to succede all sorts of "games". Teamwork is very important, but there is a mole who is payed by the makers of the program. Nobody (including the audience) knows who the mole is and his task is to sabotage the rest of the team without being noticed. Every other day there is a sort of examination with questions concerning the mole. The candidate who has the least good answers has to go home. All this cumulates in a big final with three reùaining candidates: the mole and two finalists. It was a big hit in Belgium (and afterwards in Holland too i think) everybody was guessing who the mole was on special internet forums.

Most of the popular soaps here have gone shite - combined with the popularity of Sky, viewing figures have dispersed so realistically, there aren't that many programmes which dominate viewing figures.

I don't get to watch TV much (due to episodes being available on the net) but there are certain programmes I will not miss: namely "Have I Got News For You" and maybe "QI". "Countdown" regularly pulls in 5-6 million viewers apparently(!). ITV is perhaps the worst channel ever but X-Factor pulls in at least 10-12 million viewers.

Comedy these days have gone crap. There was a time when it can be said that the only american shows that can be considered to be anywhere close to british comedy was either Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm. If the Catherine Tate show and Little Britain is the best that can be offered, we should be worried :(

Here in Bulgaria are Musik Idol ( American Idol ) Big Brother and Survivor . The first and the third are their fist seasons and they turned out very succesful .

Back
Top Bottom