Motion blur when playing PES2018 or PES2019 on PS4 Pro

CustomX

Non-League
19 March 2019
Hi All,

I play on a PS4 Pro. Hoping for some feedback and to see if others experience same issues. When playing PES2018 or PES2019, I get sporadic blurring on my screen. Sometimes all looks fine but then for 15 or 20 seconds things get blurry (or maybe its judder - I'm not sure of the difference). It happens to both the ball and the players but its more noticeable with the ball 'cos the ball is moving faster obviously.

I have just bought a really good gaming TV (Samsung NU8000) and no matter what settings I use, I still get this problem.

Does anyone else experience it? Any suggestions or advice?

First question is, do you have your TV set to "game mode" for the HDMI port you're using. This is the reason for issues like this 99% of the time.

Beyond that, make sure the PS4 Pro is outputting in 1080p/4k/HDR (I don't know what resolution and modes your TV supports) and that your HDMI port settings match this (on some TVs, you can specify what "type" of signal a HDMI support is going to receive, i.e. 8/10/12 bit colour).

Does it happen with any other games? Have you e.g. downloaded demos of similar games (in terms of, players moving around a field with the camera in a fixed position) to see if they do the same?

Hi Chris, thanks for your response.

Yes - game mode is on and activated.
Every other game and indeed all other content looks fantastic on the new TV. PES18 and PES19 are the only two games where I see this issue

Are you talking about blurring or freezing?
Cause judder would result in freezing motion, not blurryness.

And in that case, it's either the game can't hold locked 60 fps during gameplay for some reason on your hardware, or the TV might be running on a refresh rate that's not 60Hz.

Can't say for sure. But those are the two things that came up in my mind as the possible cause of the problem.
Does the problem go away if you play on another TV?

Thanks for clarifying what judder is. Its definitely blurring. When the PS4 Pro is running the game, TV says 3840 x 2160 / 60p HDMI UHD COLOUR HDR.

I had a 10yo Samsung LCD TV until recently. I don't think the problem occured on itm but I can't be 100% sure. I didn't play PES on it much. I recently got a new TV that is highly rated for gaming (Samsung NU8000) so I'd be surprised if the TV is causing a prbolem. Everything else looks and plays perfectly on it.PES18 and PES19 are the only games in which I see this blur sporadically.

Thanks for clarifying what judder is. Its definitely blurring. When the PS4 Pro is running the game, TV says 3840 x 2160 / 60p HDMI UHD COLOUR HDR.

I had a 10yo Samsung LCD TV until recently. I don't think the problem occured on itm but I can't be 100% sure. I didn't play PES on it much. I recently got a new TV that is highly rated for gaming (Samsung NU8000) so I'd be surprised if the TV is causing a prbolem. Everything else looks and plays perfectly on it.PES18 and PES19 are the only games in which I see this blur sporadically.

I don't have ps4 pro. But looking at the graphics on pc, this game seems to be using TAA [Temporal Anti Aliasing] which is prone cause ghosting.

If other games look fine on this TV, it might be possible that the blurring you are noticing might be TAA ghosting. Then again I didn't notice any severe ghosting on pc [which is aps4 port so ps4 should look similar]. I've to take a look at this game again.

You also said you notice blurring on the ball. And TAA ghosting becomes more noticeable on high contrast backgrounds [white ball and green grass] and the fast moving ball might make the ghosting trail more obvious. So even though I'm not 100% confirmed, I think what you are experiencing is the side effects of TAA.

Thanks for your reply, @Sami 1999 . The blur is most noticable on the ball but actually everything on the screen shows the affect too. Just to a lesser extent than on the ball. It lasts for a few seconds. It often occurs at kick-off at start of a half, or after a goal has been scored.

The PS4 version of the game has no adjustable display settings.

I guess I just have to live with it.

Back
Top Bottom