music thread

Lately I've really been listening a lot to some great singer/songwriter stuff. Thanks to my dear friend Danwin (in a non-homosexual way) I'm listening to Bright Eyes- I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning, Ray Lamontagne - Trouble, Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker.

Also looking forward to Devis And Dust, the new Springsteen record. I think I'm going to see him again in June.

wise words gerd! I'm a music maniac too and i just can't stand the music we hear nowadays and this brainless 'mtv generation'. Discography enterprises fucked up the music system!!! You ask for a good band or album...I'll tell you Radiohead, Jeff Buckley, any Mike Patton's band, QOTSA, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Nick Cave, Pj Harvey, Perry Blake, Divine Comedy, Jack Johnson, Pearl Jam, Depeche Mode, Tool and a lot more...

This is real good music! At least for me...

I'd like to know what are your fav bands of all time, those you feel better listening to and won't stop listening to as years go by, those you play in that special moments...

Any recomendation of less known bands are welcome too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cue the tumbleweed...

Lately I Have Been Listening To...
Motorcycle - Around You (Gabriel & Dresden Remix)
Night & Day - Let Me Know
Northcore - Lucky Star
Colours Feat Domino - Holding Me And Kissing Me (Friday Night Posse Remix)
Lustral - Solace (Matt Cerf Remix)
Airbiscuit - Lately (Riley & Durrant Remix)
Locust - Aerospace (Probspot Remix)
Michael Woods & Judge Jules - So Special (Robin Palmer Remix)

Soundtracker, don't agree with you about everything. There still is plenty of very good music today.
All time favourites??? This changes but i'l give it a try.
Bach
Miles Davis
Mingus
The Band
Dylan
Tom Waits
Captain Beefheart
Van Morrison
The Talking Heads
Velvet Underground
Gram Parsons
Prince
George Clinton
The Walkabouts
Zap Mama
Einsturzende Neubauten
The Notwist
Joni Mitchell
Hedningarna
dEUS
Stephan Eicher
Francoiz Breut
Gainsbarre
Urban Dance Squad
Goran Bregovic
Jim White
Sixteem Horsepower

(and i forgot hunderds)

not saying that there aren't good bands today. i just think the music scene is completely different nowadays, value isn't given to the bands by their quality but by the money they can give. 50cent?britney?timberlake?daft punk?...WTF!!!

quality bands still exist of course but you have to search below all this crap we listen to everyday

and what is this hiphop/rap scene? any videoclip with a pseudo-gangster with a few chicks around sells a lot and passes all the time on mtv and every radio station. looks like people have no idea what hiphop represents or how a true rock and roll band sounds. so many awsome bands around everywhere struggling to survive and being able to launch a cd and at the same time any idiot with a good marketing plan gets milionaire.

you get my idea?

Thats what music has always been about. You can take anyone off the street put them on a magazine, get a top producer to make a track with a catchy hook. make them go on all the radio/TV shows possible, boom Short turm success. I dont think you can put Daft Punk in the bracket of crap mate. they have been pioneers in music over the last few years and all electro artests that have been comming out recently have had some influence by them. i know this myswelf creating dance funk music. i can understand how you can dismiss it but if a band is good enough and dedicated enough then they will be noticed.

Soundtracker said:
I'd like to know what are your fav bands of all time, those you feel better listening to and won't stop listening to as years go by, those you play in that special moments...

I agree with you about the mtv generation, alot fo shit we seen.
There are exceptions still! There are a few REAL bands/singers on MTV.

All time?
Metallica, my favorite
In Flames
Paradise Lost
Tool

I also like dancing, but it's more like a thing of every now and then. I do enjoy going out to a club every once and while.

The only recent song I seem to like now is the new Moby song, Lift Me Up.

I'm a bit of a wrestling fan and hear a lot my fav music on that.
Anyone here listens to Powerman 5000?

joostebrood said:
Lately I've really been listening a lot to some great singer/songwriter stuff. Thanks to my dear friend Danwin (in a non-homosexual way) I'm listening to Bright Eyes- I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning, Ray Lamontagne - Trouble, Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker.

Also looking forward to Devis And Dust, the new Springsteen record. I think I'm going to see him again in June.
joost just got the bright eyes album, great stuff, good mello shit, to think about girls and shit with... just dont let your boys know you listen to this stuff.....

Recently I have been sonically aroused by the Bravery (The Bravery) and Rilo Kiley (More Adventurous). I'm still also being aurally felated by the Doves new one (Some Cities) having seen them in Brum on Friday where they were cracking.

Has anyone heard Alligator by The National? I'm interested in getting it and only have access to 30 second clips on iTunes where I'm not paying 8 quid for not really CD quality...

Soundtracker said:
wise words gerd! I'm a music maniac too and i just can't stand the music we hear nowadays and this brainless 'mtv generation'. Discography enterprises fucked up the music system!!! You ask for a good band or album...I'll tell you Radiohead, Jeff Buckley, any Mike Patton's band, QOTSA, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Nick Cave, Pj Harvey, Perry Blake, Divine Comedy, Jack Johnson, Pearl Jam, Depeche Mode, Tool and a lot more...

This is real good music! At least for me...

I would reccomend these bands/Artists;
- Dinosaur Jr
- Sonic Youth
- Alice in Chains
- The Jesus and Mary Chain
- Nick Drake ( a bit like Jeff Buckley, great acoustic music)
- The Cure
- Wilco
- Death Cab For Cutie
- Velvet Underground

csaunders said:
clapton should have never stopped doing acid, go listen to his 70's shit and he is just a legend

Yeah of course, that "70's shit" is tight.

I've been listening to the latest Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire and The Mars Volta albuns...I recomend any of them and for those who like harder rock, give a listen to the latest Sinch album too.

Currently there's somee very very good music in Scandinavia: i can't remember the names of all the bands, but Unter Beyen seems to be fantastic and then of course Bjork and Sigur Ross and my favourite Scandinavian band: Hedningarna (Swedish folk music with techno beats...i've seen this band live a couple of years ago...it was the best concert i ever saw...great...).

Oh and in my list above i forgot to mention one of my all time favourites: Elvis Costello.

For those who compare Nick Drake with Jeff Buckley: he's much better. And you guys should try Jeff's father Tim Buckley...much better than the son...but very, very weird.

i have been listening to a mixture of stuff.
mike oldfield-Tubular bells 1 and 2, ormadawn
NOFX-all albums
Rancid-all albums
dropkick murphys- Blackout
joe strummer and the mescaleros-global a go-go, streetcore
Oasis-be here now
razorlight-up all night
snow patrol-final straw
Newtown neorotics-beggers can be choosers
anti-flag-die for the government
the prodigy-experience
tiger army-tiger army rise

and lots of punk stuff.

Need a bit of help, and hope I've got the right artist.

Whilst on holiday heard a song which I'm sure was Anastasia, sure that's what they said. It must be fairly recent, although I don't know the name of it. It seems to have some Indian type guy singing along too. Well sounds kinda Indian anyway. Any ideas or am I just off my trolley!

Cheers anyway.

FD

fd1972uk said:
Need a bit of help, and hope I've got the right artist.

Whilst on holiday heard a song which I'm sure was Anastasia, sure that's what they said. It must be fairly recent, although I don't know the name of it. It seems to have some Indian type guy singing along too. Well sounds kinda Indian anyway. Any ideas or am I just off my trolley!

Cheers anyway.

FD

More detail needed FD, at the moment it sounds like you are indeed off your trolley

joostebrood said:
I like Audioslave's album, it's got more melody

I only like the song Yesterday to Tomorrow. Theyve completely changed their style. Theyve seemed to have lost their RATM and Soundgarden roots, which is the reason why I dislike this album.

Hmmmm, maybe I am going off my nut.

Although doing a little searching, I think it could be 'Left Outside Alone' but I can't seem to find any that fit the bill.

FD

FD, go to MTV.com, and watch the latest videos, its got to be one of those because they were super popular in countries like Italy and Greece during the summer.

Back
Top Bottom