Music Thread

bradley1886

Premiership
6 August 2004
London
Just thought I would start a general music thread (dunno if there already is one:-k ). Just a place to chat about your favourite bands and ones you hate.

I'll get it started, my favourite bands The Strokes although I've been listening to a load of System Of A Down lately.

I can't stand any music without meaning, usually anything thats played in my common room at 6th form.

(My threads have a habit of being total flops, this thread probably hasn't been started already for a reason)

Been listening to a bit of everything lately, but mainly into Nebula, the Datsuns and a bit of Kyuss, Noise Conspiracy, Eric Clapton and Captain Beyond.

I dont really like hip hop, but occasionally theres a catchy song thats in my head. The only non-rock song thats in my head now is Beat it by Michael Jackson.

Anyway, I usually like songs that have loads of riffing (Nebula) and Captain Beyond.

I'm also someone who likes songs with meaning and emotion, the current R'n'B era in the UK is doing my nut in.

Along the lines of new indie / rock stuff - there's not much interesting me, I tend to listen to stuff by Manic Street Preachers, Kula Shaker, Libertines, Babyshambles, some Oasis and a bit of Soulwax.

Got some classical remakes of two Manics songs by Sonic Stealth Orchestra. "Everlasting" and "A Design For Life", both brilliantly spooky and different.

On a classical tip I watched 28 Days Later last night on the TV and it reminded me just how good a tune "An Ending (Ascent)" is by Brian Eno. There's a trancier version around too. My heart lies with trance music, albeit not the kind you hear on Ministry Of Sound albums or Clubland bollocks. We're talking the style you hear on Mellomania & Trance Around The World radio shows.

I like old skool Indie by Oasis and Blur. just like Proxi all this R'n'B shit does my head in as well. The Black Eye Peas really annoy me too! especially that Dont Funk With My Heart song! does my head in completely!!!

DJ

hooray more RnB haters

im just into all of the kind of music in the Rock Catagory really (punk,indie,grundge etc)

My favourite band of all time and there still going strong , The Offspring, love these guys,

Also Finch (but sadly no more)

a good site is purevolume, you can find really good unsigned bands on there,

I think I've mentioned the bands I'm listening to on more than one occasion. But fuck it, here we go again.

Currently I'm listening a lot to The Decemberists, a very good folk band. I also have an album by the Kingsbury Manx which is great. It's called The Fast Rise & Fall of the South. Throughout my life I've been a REM fan and also a very big Bruce Springsteen fan, he's coming with a Pete Seeger cover album and I've listened to a few samples and it's really uplifting traditional folk music. I loved it at first listen.
The paxt few years I've also become a Bright Eyes fan, if Connor Oberst loses his depressive self-reflecting lyrics (which he quite did on IWAIM) he could become the greatest songwriter of our time. He and Ryan Adams actually. Ryan Adams should focus on 1 great album every two years instead of 3 decent albums every year. His band Whiskeytown was a very good alt-country band. I heard rumours they'll reunite in the near future. Another favorite band of mine has to be Pearl Jam, great live band and a great attitude in general.
Besides this I've mentioned some of my favorite albums in another thread about music.

I love Coldplay, Hell is for Heroes, Less Than Jake, Motion City Soundtrack, Fightstar, Billy Talent, Taking Back Sunday.......

So many bands. Just check out my Last.fm :P

ballack 13 said:
Hard-fi are the best. ;)

Hmm...i went through a stage of liking Hard-Fi but i can't seem to hear any guitar in their music so it's a bit off putting.

Last edited:
Loved Offspring during my college days! Always listened to the Americana album that my best mate had! but the vast majority of the time my CD player always had something house/trance related in it or Oasis/Blur or old skool 80's music.

DJ

anyone know what the song is called which goes like this

"now everybody jump jump
pack it up pack let me begin"
thats all i can remember

Stringer Bell said:
Does anybody here listen to UK Hip/Hop?

Nope, I used to listen to rap though, but i was young and easily influenced by people from school. I don't think much of it now (in all honesty i can't stand it) and i can't stand the people in my school, there is an uproar whenever i play anything, but they can blast out any of their **** (<---use your imagination ;)).

One track that I keep listening to on iTunes amongst the many is "Creeping up the backstairs" by "The Fratellis"

Catchy as hell and a band to keep an eye on

bloc party are amazing,all there songs on the silent album are amazing especially,banquit and helicoptor

Gotta say it but the Arctic Monkeys are boring me big time. They're good but not worth a song and dance over. I prefer the Artex Monkey, now there IS world class talent.

bradley1886 said:
Nope, I used to listen to rap though, but i was young and easily influenced by people from school. I don't think much of it now (in all honesty i can't stand it) and i can't stand the people in my school, there is an uproar whenever i play anything, but they can blast out any of their **** (<---use your imagination ;)).
LOL! Kinda understand where your coming from.

proxi said:
Gotta say it but the Arctic Monkeys are boring me big time. They're good but not worth a song and dance over. I prefer the Artex Monkey, now there IS world class talent.

Well there's 5 mins of my life I ain't getting back. Arctic Monkeys are a really good band, even if they are ridiculous big in such a short amount of time. Just because they are big doesn't mean you have to dislike them.

`Hilarious` parody groups should be killed off at birth, there is nowt like riding on the coat-tails of success is there

Not a big fan of bloc party. there is only so much "Are you hopin for a miracle" that I can stand, I think it has been over-played and over-rated, if it wasnt for that im sure id love it. Its the same for some Dance/House tunes that I dont like, mainly because they get played too much. To start with I loved Eric Prydz Call On Me but it got played far too much and did my head in at the end of it all.

DJ

djdavedoc said:
To start with I loved Eric Prydz Call On Me but it got played far too much and did my head in at the end of it all.

DJ
I loved the Red Kult version of that, I still mix it into a set every once in a while. I have a rare whitelabel vinyl of the Eric Prydz version, remixed by Saint and that's the best mix from his side of the coin.

Yeah I tend to find the Remixes (which dont get played that often) tend to be decent Proxi, Im a big fan of decent remixes of big tunes.

DJ

Lately I have been listening to a lot of Bob Dylan lyrics, I also have the No Direction Home DVD, but still have to finish that one. What strikes me the most about his lyrics is the will to critisize the things he's seeing AND being huge doing that! He had a very big fanbase and the people really cared about what he was singing. There were more bands those days that really tried to change things.
Now I'm not saying there aren't artists that care these days, but when I watch LiveAid and I see Coldplay performing their new hitsingle and Madonna crawls out of her shithole to dance around with an Ethiopian woman I somehow feel sad about the whole industry. It's one of the reasons for me to listen to smaller bands or bands that seem real to me. Everytime I think like this I'm trying to tell myself that times have changed and that it's not that bad, but it actually is bad. It's very frustrating that most people don't see this or don't want to see this. Hearing about American Idol or every variant of this in every Western country in the world makes me sick. Music is supposed to be an art, something you do to try and make people feel something. I always listen to artists that bring up all sorts of emotions and I'm NOT talking about Celine Dion crap, I mean emotions that are complex to describe. Every cunt can write a Celine Dion style lovesong. What also doesn't help is MTV and channels like that. MTV (Music Television) only shows how rich and famous "stars" are these days. Shows like Cribs, The Famous Life of... etc make me sick and anhry. I don't fucking care if Brad Pitt has a house where ever the fuck it is. And no, I'm not jealous either.
This shit should be brought back to how it originated. We need a musical culture again. The 90's were a terrible decade, since the change really kicked in then, but at least there was the grunge era. I'm not even a fan of that, but it started off pretty well. Unfortunately all the huge record companies and music channels fucked it up, so up till this day we still have to listen to crap like Nickleback and stuff like that. I sympathize with Pearl Jam. They hardly sell records these days compared to their debut album, but they stayed true to themselves and their fans.
Since grunge there hasn't been a culture. Well, the rap and R&B era maybe. But that's horrible. And rap fans, I'm not talking about the guys who still do their thing and stay true to who they are. No, I'm talking about that cunt P-Diddy and Destiny's Child and shit like that.
The 2000's have been terrible when you look at what the mainstream can come up with. Underneath that there's been good and very good stuff, but it hardly gets any airplay. A positive side is that you can still listen to bands and really think they're singing it for you, since no one knows them. A bad thing is that kids will get the wrong examples when our generation raise them. I will let my children listen to anything they want, but when their babies, I'll play my Freewheelin' Bob Dylan record while they're asleep and I just hope they will pick up on the creativity, the honesty and the dignity you hear through the lyrics. And one day I'll pass on my music collection to my son or daughter and I'll hope they'll continue the legacy.

Last edited:
Yes, music has shifted with popular culture and the rise of the celebrity has not helped matters, music icons are no longer worshipped for their musical ability, they are judged on their fame. As long as the 'image' people have their way, music in the mainstream will be extremely limited.

Look at the sixties man, people had issues, times were a changing and the music reflected the change. Music is nothing but a product these days and the marketing men are nothing short of genius, marketing the seemingly talentless into the next big thing.

The evolution of rap music is terrible to see, coming from the likes of Public Enemy, who were prepared to speak up for equality and real life issues up to the terrible mainstream rap of today, who's main priority appears to be promoting their 'image' and ridiculously overembelished lifestyle in the hope of increasing their fame and notoriority.

In saying this it's nice for me, I like to despise popular music, it makes me feel warm inside. It's also forced me to delve deep into the alternative scene and discover a whole new world of fantastic music. It's like being in a secret society. It's life affirming stuff.

In my opinion, it's going to get worse before it gets better, it will require a shift in modern culture, people are too confortable right now despite the shit going on outside their front door, fantasizing about living the life of their idols, the money, the fame. What about the people man? What about the fucking people?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom