Music thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassicD

Galáctico
11 November 2001
Glasgow
Celtic
Ok, last one went to pot, here's a new one :).

I'll start by saying I went to see the White Stripes last Thursday at the Glasgow Academy, and it was blinding.

Tough trying to get through the night without finding out the 'tic/Boavista score though, taped it and watched afterwards ;).

Nice venue, only opened about a month I think, 3 tiers, though the booze is well-overpriced, more expensive than festivals - £3 a pint!!! :shock:

I got the White Stripes album last week. Its well worth a listen even if you have never heard of them, there isnt one bad track on the whole album....well, maybe just one but that aint bad out of 12 tracks

The music thread is back. Hurrah! Try this diabolically difficult music question without the use of a search engine: 'Why should I care, 'cos you weren't there when I was scared, I was so alone' name the song this line came from and the singer who sang it to earn........Nothing.

Easy. Avril Lavigne - Im With You

Im more into Rock and Punkish (Greenday and the like) at the moment. Really liking Simple Plan's stuff.

What kinda music do White Stripes play?

White Stripes are like blues/rock, absolutely crackin'.

Not a fan of Avril Lavigne, when will all these little skater/angst bastards fook off!?!!

No its not 'I'm with you' - better luck next time. Told you its hard.

BoroBoyz said:
Easy. Avril Lavigne - Im With You

Avril is Canadian trash, she can't sing and she looks very similar to the lead singer of that boy band Hanson, the one that looked like a horse! :D

I want to say i'm pissed off i couldn't get tickets for the Ben Harper gig at the Astoria. :( :x The guy played the Albert Hall last time, and now he wants to play a tiny venue. Tickets sold out in no time, no doubt loads went to those scum scouts mofos who try to sell them to you at astronomical prices. :x :twisted:

Haven't heard 'Elephant' yet, but 'White Blood Cells' was an awesome album. I'm into all kinds of stuff, mostly alternative and rock. Pavement and The Pixies rule.

Heard a couple of songs by Athlete, both sounded good.

Pixies were great.

Only heard a few Yeah Yeah Yeahs songs, all sounded no bad, though not quite "amazing" as music press has been saying. Arseholes the lot of them anyway ;).

ClassicD said:
Pixies were great.

Have you heard any of Frank Black's solo stuff? The guy's a frickin' genius... complete madman, but I don't think I've ever heard a bad song by him or the Pixies. 'Teenager of the Year' is particularly awesome.

If you like the Pixies, you'll like Frank's solo stuff (but the more recent stuff with the Catholics is a bit more country-tinged).

Anyone got the Zwan album? Is it any good? How similar is it to the Smashing Pumpkins?

ClassicD said:
IF GAAAAAAAAAWD IS SEVEN, IF GAAAAAAAAAAAAAWD IS SEVEN!

;)

Hee hee... when I had a radio show, that was the first song I played every week ('Monkey Gone To Heaven' by the Pixies for those who don't know). The last was always 'Monkey Wrench' by the Foo Fighters, and the show was called 12 Monkeys.

Back in my student days, I really liked monkeys.

I also find it's impossible to choose a favourite Pixies song, but at the moment I think Velouria gets my vote. What other stuff you into, Classic?

matcolo said:
Hee hee... when I had a radio show, that was the first song I played every week ('Monkey Gone To Heaven' by the Pixies for those who don't know). The last was always 'Monkey Wrench' by the Foo Fighters, and the show was called 12 Monkeys.

Back in my student days, I really liked monkeys.

hehe, I love the Foo Fighters too, more the first 2 albums than the last two though. Quite a monkey thing goin there, do you like Ian Brown :D ;).

I like loads of stuff, I've started listening to Vines again lately. Some of my likes include Supergrass, Oasis, early Travis (and some of their newer stuff), early Stereophonics (but I hate their newer stuff), Nada Surf, Mull Historical Society, Libertines, Strokes, White Stripes, Idlewild, Minuteman, Eels, Muse, Turin Brakes, Hives, Manic Street Preachers, Radiohead, Verve, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Rage Against The Machine, and probably a good deal more I just can't remember.

How about you?

ClassicD said:
hehe, I love the Foo Fighters too, more the first 2 albums than the last two though. Quite a monkey thing goin there, do you like Ian Brown :D ;).

I like loads of stuff, I've started listening to Vines again lately. Some of my likes include Supergrass, Oasis, early Travis (and some of their newer stuff), early Stereophonics (but I hate their newer stuff), Nada Surf, Mull Historical Society, Libertines, Strokes, White Stripes, Idlewild, Minuteman, Eels, Muse, Turin Brakes, Hives, Manic Street Preachers, Radiohead, Verve, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Rage Against The Machine, and probably a good deal more I just can't remember.

How about you?

That's a pretty good portfolio you got there... I like a lot of those bands, particularly Idlewild (esp. early stuff, Captain and Hope is Important), Eels (just brilliant) and Libertines (Up the Bracket and Time for Heroes are classics already!). I've heard a couple of Nada Surf's recent tracks and was impressed. Obviously the Strokes and Stripes rock! Used to like Radiohead and the Manics, but then I got happy ;)

I'm addicted to MTV2, some really good stuff on there. I'm into loads of American indie, like Mercury Rev, Flaming Lips, Grandaddy, Pavement, Polyphonic Spree, Smog, Belly... and I like post-rock stuff like Mogwai, Godspeed You Black Emperor and Trail of Dead, alt-country like Ryan Adams, Giant Sand and Joe Pernice. Love Dylan, Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel... DJ Shadow, Leftfield... er, better stop now. :oops:

That always happens when I talk about music...

The Pixies rule, i remember getting into them through a friend in the late eighties, along with Dinosaur Jr and Jane's addiction. I didn't like Frank's solo stuff as much, as the whole band character wasn't there. Now that he's teamed up again with Joey Santiago things are back on track, but it'll never really be the same if you know what i mean. Those days are gone.
I too was a DJ at uni, it was brilliant, you could play whatever you wanted, so i took the opportunity to educate the masses with decent music. They're probably thanking me now :mrgreen: .

Yes and yes :)

"Where is my mind?" is the track I believe.

ClassicD said:
Rage Against The Machine

Now your talking there first album was class, one of my all time favourite albums of all time ''FUCK YOU I WONT DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!!!'' nothing better then when I was a student in my mates car going up the city to get pissed & pull a few young innocent females with the volume up full with this track on & everyone in the car head banging away & shouting the words so loud & beer flying everywhere.
But after there first album It went a bit downhill from there. The track on the film The Crow was also class :D

Pearl Jam's first album TEN was also one for the history books.

Pearl Jam's first two albums where for the history books two of the greatest albums ever, I also like Oasis, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Coldplay and the beastie boys! :D

I like the foo's too, i saw them on their tour last year. The rage always does it too. fuck you i wont do what you tell me will always be a classic!

Lokil dont you think the lead singer in colplay is a bit of a prick? I liek the song "Clocks" though.

That new white stripes song is decent.

I like Gonzo on MTV2. Hav you seen those 3 new chanells that went live yesterday? over 30 "free" music chanells now :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom