My 30-year journey from Konami's soccer game, to FIFA, and back to PES

Hey guys, I thought I'd share with you my journey with football games since I started playing them in 1989. I'm a little embarrassed by how long it took me to jump ship to WE/PES, but there it is!

Man!! Thank you!! 🙏

It’s starts off so well...!! Wasn’t the first match vs Cameroon?! :LOVE:

Edit: :WOOT: that sharp transition from Gameboy to current PES really got me me off the sofa!! It’s moments like these I appreciate “being allowed” to become that old. :D

Last edited:
Pretty awesome video... thank you.
Actua Soccer 3 was another stellar game, with a gazillion of teams and pretty cool, unique gameplay mechanics

Pretty awesome video... thank you.
Actua Soccer 3 was another stellar game, with a gazillion of teams and pretty cool, unique gameplay mechanics
Thank *you* Juce, you're the reason we're all playing PES :D

I just checked Actua Soccer... that came out alongside FIFA'98? Wow. I feel sorry for the guys who made it... Looks like FIFA ate a big chunk of their sales.

Wow that WE9Korean Edition looks nice, those animations look pretty cool.

ALso, thanks for bringing back memories of striker football! Many hours on my SNES with that one. It had I think all the countries of the world

Hey guys, I thought I'd share with you my journey with football games since I started playing them in 1989. I'm a little embarrassed by how long it took me to jump ship to WE/PES, but there it is!

Such a cool video.

I love how harmonic and slow paced Fifa 11 was, comparing it to Fifa 20 it really seems they have gone backwards.

Last edited:
How is it possible that I missed (or, most likely, forgot) this video?

Great recap, pretty much what happened to me too. Nintendo World Cup (which I now remember with a bit of nostalgia due to how over-the.-top it was), then FIFA International Soccer at home and the Super Sidekicks franchise at the arcades (boy I loved the third game of the series)... I only got to play ISS and ISS Deluxe at a friend of mine as I didn't have either NES or SNES at that time, but I grabbed myself a copy of ISS 64 and it blew everything else away.
Not a fan of FIFA 97, it was too stiff and on rails, but I agree FIFA 98 was a Hell of a game (and so was FIFA 99 for me).
Then along with FIFA 98 came Virtua Striker 2 (I hardly played the first one, but I spent a lot of time and money with the second one at the arcades).
From there on, it was almost only FIFA (with still a bit of Virtua Striker 3 and 2002 at the arcades and on a friend's GameCube) until PES 3 got released for PC, then PES until FIFA 09... And I did some back and forth in the following years (FIFA 12, then FIFA 14, then PES 2015, FIFA 16, hardly any game in 17)... Now I almost only play PES 2021 on PC and FIFA 14 or 16 on Xbox One.

By the way, @The_Knight, I'd love to see a Super Sidekicks series review of yours. Even more than that, a review of the arcade football games history (including of course some Konami arcade games like Premier Soccer and Soccer Superstars 😉).

Back
Top Bottom