My PC died for this: PES2021 Realism Review - This Generation's Best Football Simulator

PRO_TOO

Team Heffernan
25 May 2003
Rego Park, Germany
Team Heffernan
the @The_Knight is back with another review!

edit: notice, this guy had to deal with collateral damage because he played PES “to much”! All PS4 owners know how demanding this, most definitely, bad coded piece of software can be...

but let’s just assume he’s “burning for the series” rather than having a burnout over it. :LOL:

edit2: and let me add...
I get that a lot of users, who don’t like PES in its current state, do acknowledge the pros of the game. Same time I, who enjoy them so often, are very aware and annoyed of/by the fundamental flaws that the series is plagued by.
when i’m short on alternatives i have to pick PES.

and what a goal!! Chapeau.

edit3:again: people, play manual. I’m begging you. :)

Last edited:
There it is, after three weeks of editing!

I tried to break down just why this year's game plays a lot smoother, while making sure I highlight what's been fixed, and what's still broken.

Timestamps:

0:00 Mini-review summary
2:43 Smoother ball recovery
4:32 Better Player Runs
4:56 Improved Offsides
5:45 Improved Dribbling
6:41 Enhanced Player Stability
7:29 Manual Passing Unlocks Potential
10:48 Auto-player switching movement bug
12:26 Manual Crossing (intro)
12:56 Heavier Touches
14:54 Simpler Controls on Manual
15:18 Manual Crossing (main)
16:00 More Bicycles on Manual
16:53 Manual Shooting (intro)
17:07 Manual Finesse Fixed
18:24 Manual Shooting (main)
19:06 Set piece manual headers still an issue
20:07 Fixed Keepers: Saves, Exits, Friendly Fire
22:48 Chipping the Keeper
23:36 Referee still broken: Collisions, Penalties, Advantages
26:21 Referee fixes: Offsides, Advantage Fouls
26:57 Free Kicks more challenging
27:51 Player Paths and 'Stupid' Defenders
28:58 Clunky Animations
29:29 Bad Cutscenes and Celebrations
30:16 Player Ball Awareness
30:36 Long Knock Ball Dribble ...is it back?
31:03 Modding the Game

I really dislike this constant "season update - like FIFA has been for the past decade, right guys?! LOL!!" stuff from the PES community in general (30 seconds into this video). You're telling me (for example) PES 2018, 2019 and 2020 have more changes between them than FIFA 18, 19 and 20? No chance. Both games barely change year-on-year.

Sorry man, great video - just really annoys me when people I respect let their inner fanboy out, it immediately makes me sceptical. Especially if they're going to literally call something the greatest [anything] of a generation.

I really dislike this constant "season update - like FIFA has been for the past decade, right guys?! LOL!!" stuff from the PES community in general. You're telling me PES 2018, 2019 and 2020 have more changes between them than FIFA 18, 19 and 20? No way. Absolutely no way.

Sorry man, great video - just really annoys me when people I respect let their inner fanboy out, it immediately makes me sceptical.
PES 2004, 2005, 2006 were season updates. 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 were season updates. The original script had me have PES games in the top half and FIFA games in the lower half. It was a little too much work, and it was unfair to Konami who did confess it's a season update, and priced it accordingly. That's the only difference here.

Best of this decade? Doubt so. I fondly remember playing any games much more offline and online from 2010-2013. Not to mention FIFA 14 online and FIFA16 offline. The last gen PS4-XBO is no doubt the dark ages of footy games, especially of PES.

I really dislike this constant "season update - like FIFA has been for the past decade, right guys?! LOL!!" stuff from the PES community in general
Same here.
While it's true that games released yearly hardly differ much from a year to another (usually it's a task of refining and fixing what's wrong with the previous game plus adding new assets), it's not that we're told "here's the game: it's last year's one with diferent assets". It's hardly the case in FIFA and it's definitely not the case in this year's PES (it's way more than a mere "season update" IMO).
Not to mention that since PES is based on the Fox Engine (it is still based upon Fox, isn't it?) FIFA had... Impact Engine (14), Ignite (15-16, with the latter probably being the best FIFA of this generation), Frostbite (17+) so there's hardly any point in saying "FIFA is always the same game with just updated assets".

Yep, it was the best back then. Still the best these days. It's easy whne your competition is a football-themed cards game!
While it's true that FIFA's main mode is FUT (and that they're somehow neglecting the other game modes to develop it, and each time they add something new to it it shifts a little more away from real football), it's also easily noticeable that Konami don't really consider the "offline crowd" the main audience anymore. Both games cater now to the online crowd (FUTers/MyClubbers) and none of them really wants realism as in "I have to think hard to string three successful passes together and to break down the opponents' defence". They all want fun, banter and goalfests.
This being said, I find PES still better than FIFA at reproducing the "real world" of football.

Last edited:
Nicely done review. Seeing how Fifa looks this year. I probably will go with Pes 2021.

I got a question though. Can you import Pes 2020 teams into 2021? Would like to save time if possible. I made one full premade team in 2020 and would like to chuck it back in.

I always enjoy you video's Knight so I'm looking forward to watching this one tonight with my beer & pizza as it looks like it'll be a long one! 😀

But I also agree, The stating PES 2021 as the best simulator is a bold statement. And I even really enjoy the game and I'm addicted to playing it on manual. But I cannot with a straight face say this is a better simulator then the likes of PES 5, 2012, FIFA 16 or PES 2017 when there's still rudimentary issues with basics such as player positioning, Bad defending, Players who orient like oil tankers, Rubber banded sprinting and underwhelming AI. All of these things which are far more polished on the aforementioned titles.

If a game makes me utter swearwords to myself during the most routine of procedures than it's not the best simulator created I'm afraid.

the @The_Knight is back with another review!

edit: notice, this guy had to deal with collateral damage because he played PES “to much”! All PS4 owners know how demanding this, most definitely, bad coded piece of software can be...

but let’s just assume he’s “burning for the series” rather than having a burnout over it. :LOL:

edit2: and let me add...
I get that a lot of users, who don’t like PES in its current state, do acknowledge the pros of the game. Same time I, who enjoy them so often, are very aware and annoyed of/by the fundamental flaws that the series is plagued by.
when i’m short on alternatives i have to pick PES.

and what a goal!! Chapeau.

edit3:again: people, play manual. I’m begging you. :)
how do i download kits for pes21 pc?

how do i download kits for pes21 pc?
PC? You have four ways to import kits as far as I know:
  1. Download 'em one by one from here and add them yourself with Kit Studio (most difficult, most flexible as you have full control over what you're importing)
  2. Wait for someone releasing a complete patch like the Evo-Web patch (see its 2020 thread) and then download it and apply it to the game (the easiest way, but you'll have to wait for someone to release a patch first)
  3. Use an Option File (choose one of the OF's already around like the CYPES one and apply it, you'll likely have to tinker a little and kits wouldn't be of the best quality usually)
  4. Use Kitserver (requires Sider to run) and download one of the pre-compiled kit packs available here (the easy way)

I love your videos, but I would really know how to apply all those mods in my pes 2021. I tried some and they're great. However, the scoreboards don't work properly in competitions and I asked people in the scoreboard thread and they siad they couldn't help because it's for pes 2020. I asked it here and u removed my question saying I'm "flooding ur thread". I don't know why it's so difficult to help. All I want is to play this game u "died for", with this sort of realism. I sold my ps4 lro and my xbox one X, invested my money on a PC built for next gen, and can't enjoy your awesome stuff, with scoreboards, real cameras, etc, because people refuse to help. Sad.

Hey @FH1S bud it wasn't I who removed your post, it's not even my thread if you noticed :D Anyway, you're probably asking in the wrong forum. You need to go to the 2021 thread not the 2020 thread. Over there you'll see that the new scoreboards mod that works for every league has already been released! Here, I'll even link you: https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/crowd...rds-sider-version-released.83993/post-3592526

Finally, make sure you are using the new sider, not the old 2020 one!

I love your videos, but I would really know how to apply all those mods in my pes 2021. I tried some and they're great. However, the scoreboards don't work properly in competitions and I asked people in the scoreboard thread and they siad they couldn't help because it's for pes 2020. I asked it here and u removed my question saying I'm "flooding ur thread". I don't know why it's so difficult to help. All I want is to play this game u "died for", with this sort of realism. I sold my ps4 lro and my xbox one X, invested my money on a PC built for next gen, and can't enjoy your awesome stuff, with scoreboards, real cameras, etc, because people refuse to help. Sad.

I removed your posts and I told you why. You even responded to me, so I don't know why you're all Alzheimers all of a sudden :)

vsP4kEc.jpg

I removed your posts and I told you why. You even responded to me, so I don't know why you're all Alzheimers all of a sudden :)

vsP4kEc.jpg
haha man, sorry, I just want help and I'm becoming frustrated AF with my incapacity of putting it all together

• Love
Reactions: Tom
Hey @FH1S bud it wasn't I who removed your post, it's not even my thread if you noticed :D Anyway, you're probably asking in the wrong forum. You need to go to the 2021 thread not the 2020 thread. Over there you'll see that the new scoreboards mod that works for every league has already been released! Here, I'll even link you: https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/crowd...rds-sider-version-released.83993/post-3592526

Finally, make sure you are using the new sider, not the old 2020 one!
Thank you!

haha man, sorry, I just want help and I'm becoming frustrated AF with my incapacity of putting it all together

No worries, my good man, I totally get where you're coming from. However, you're not the only one seeking help around here, and if everyone was to post his issues and requests everywhere he pleases, there'd be anarchy. So excuse me for being a party-pooper on this. Anyway, here's hoping you found what you were looking for!

Back
Top Bottom