My PES 2022 Menu UI Design

Which menu design do you prefer?

Results are only viewable after voting.

SteGa

Non-League
16 September 2017
Hi all! amid the PES 2022 announcement and subsequent PES 2021 Season Update, i've been working on a menu design for PES 2022. The goal is to create a visual prototype going through the main menu, kick off, selecting sides, and the pre-match screen (where you can select kits, change game plan, etc). I've created 3 different drafts for the main menu so far. Barring any font changes (because i'm still exploring that) I would love any and all input!

You can view the drafts here: *EDIT* the drafts have been updated to the most recent ones to align with the poll

Last edited:
Wow, some sick drafts there mate!

Draft 1 for me.
Is this a working menu? (As in a Menu Mod) or is this just a thread for Concept menus through Photoshop?
Cheers.

Imagine PES ever having menus as good as your draft #1 there. Just can't see that ever happening.

Excellent work.

Wow, some sick drafts there mate!

Draft 1 for me.
Is this a working menu? (As in a Menu Mod) or is this just a thread for Concept menus through Photoshop?
Cheers.

It's a concept menu (more-so a passion project for me with a low key hope the right people will see it). I'm using Adobe XD to put it together and prototype it with animations

Imagine PES ever having menus as good as your draft #1 there. Just can't see that ever happening.

Excellent work.

Appreciate the kind words fellas!

Reactions: Ttb
Hi all! amid the PES 2022 announcement and subsequent PES 2021 Season Update, i've been working on a menu design for PES 2022. The goal is to create a visual prototype going through the main menu, kick off, selecting sides, and the pre-match screen (where you can select kits, change game plan, etc). I've created 3 different drafts for the main menu so far. Barring any font changes (because i'm still exploring that) I would love any and all input!

You can view the drafts here:

At the first draft the sub menus appear on the right as pictures and texts when you enter the main ones on the left? Thats a great idea.

I love them! Unfortunately Konami’s menus will still look like an Atari 2600 game next year even on powerful hardware like the PS5.

It just makes me angry and sad. But it also makes me laugh. Game developers around the world, particularly AAA ones want you to believe they house the very elite in artists, designers and programmers in their field - Yet PES 2020's menu's are so basic, so underwhelming and unfinished looking, they look like a powerpoint pitch to investors.

How do we go from the class of PES 2011 to the modern showcase of console power of PES 2015... To the abomination of tiles to what we have now?

Yet, The fans still absolutely bury most of what the professionals have to offer. It's cases like this that lends credence to the quip that "Fans are finishing the game".

It just makes me angry and sad. But it also makes me laugh. Game developers around the world, particularly AAA ones want you to believe they house the very elite in artists, designers and programmers in their field - Yet PES 2020's menu's are so basic, so underwhelming and unfinished looking, they look like a powerpoint pitch to investors.

How do we go from the class of PES 2011 to the modern showcase of console power of PES 2015... To the abomination of tiles to what we have now?

Yet, The fans still absolutely bury most of what the professionals have to offer. It's cases like this that lends credence to the quip that "Fans are finishing the game".
The problem is bigger in the UX. If you watch in my video below, from 0:00 up to 00:24. I am in DATA VERSION menu and i want to transit to the Edit Mode.
They are both in the same category in main menu, just different sub-menu.
Instead of just go me back, when i press :circle: to go back and then forward to edit mode, the games UX browses me back to the begining, to main menu instantly, while waiting the loading cycles in the left bottom position of the screen, then i must go again edit mode, wait "Edit Data loading" , then "Image List loading", then wait 2 second the screen with the loading cycle.

It is very rigid at all. Almost every new screen makes you load the same information again and again. If you are in an online menu, on top of this you have also to wait for Live Update implementations and checking netwrok enviroment or communicating with servers, almsot every second time you browse a sub-menu, back and forward.

Looks really clean. I like it!

Honestly I kinda fancy this year's menus, at least in terms of visuals. Huge step up from 2019's grey background with flying bubbles. Or PES 2014's.... thing.

pes-2014-menu-leaked1.jpg

That's not a sight you wanna have when you open a game

Nice work

The Konami UI is a total joke at this day and age,Not only visually but the way it functions is so pathetic.

In Master league you open your messages, It tells you about and event but there's no link to access it. So you have to go back and then open the menu all again!

You can't sort column on every screen, Also some player data can be accessed in a screen but disappears from others.

Even when editiing stuff, PES 6 interface was better, You could even import a home design to the away one and add to it!

And my favourite, That horrible Iniesta section under the main menu which means nothing and is false advertising coz dribbling doesn't exist in this sorry excuse of a game.

Love your designs, #1 looks very clean, even professional enough to be in a finished PES game;

Would love to see some menu modding on PES 2020 although I don't think it's possible

As far as I noticed, it's just a reskin? Like other player images and color?

I would love to see different placements of menus and stuff, also in the team selection menu, it's really boring and stale since it's 4 years the same

I don't think it's just a reskin. It's completly different. The guy created PES 2020 menu with 3 different style ( PES3, WE9 & PES6 )

I don't think it's just a reskin. It's completly different. The guy created PES 2020 menu with 3 different style ( PES3, WE9 & PES6 )
It's PES3, PES6 menus, but I think it is not in the game of PES 2020?
Interesting if it would be, it means this area could be exploited more in PES 2020

It's PES3, PES6 menus, but I think it is not in the game of PES 2020?
Interesting if it would be, it means this area could be exploited more in PES 2020

If you look closely in PES 3 menu, bottom right you can see Sider + PES 2020 running. He's done something in the past about PES Menu but in the end nothing has been released.

https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/edited-main-menu-background-by-diego-martiniello.79933/

https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/moving-menu-objets-wip-by-diego-martiniello.79934/

If you look closely in PES 3 menu, bottom right you can see PES 2020 is running. He's done something in the past about PES Menu but in the end nothing has been released.

https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/edited-main-menu-background-by-diego-martiniello.79933/

https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/moving-menu-objets-wip-by-diego-martiniello.79934/
Wow, I've never seen this: interesting part

On the non release thing: this could be the case

https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/moving-menu-objets-wip-by-diego-martiniello.79934/#post-3398516

Brilliant work. :APPLAUD:

So now let’s get that menu into into the game via mod and make a YouTube video. Include the existing gameplay mods! Let’s see their faces when „Pro Evolved Soccer“ boots up on screen! :D

Waking em up a little! ;)

Hey all,

Firstly I wanted to say thanks for the positive feedback! Sorry i've taken a while to respond, i've just had so many ideas for the menu design and I can't decide which one to lock down and work off of for the rest of the menu screens. Keep in mind these are all drafts and once I nail down a direction I will add the small details like myclub info/coins etc.

I'm trying to find the best balance of visual appeal and usability. With that said, would you prefer each category (Kick off, eFootball, etc) have the sub-menus visible within the same screen? Or clean up the space a little and separate them (ie only showing the sub-menu options after pressing kick off).

I've got a few more drafts i've been working on. Not sure how i'll end up deciding on a direction... But figured i'd share nonetheless.

Hey all,

Firstly I wanted to say thanks for the positive feedback! Sorry i've taken a while to respond, i've just had so many ideas for the menu design and I can't decide which one to lock down and work off of for the rest of the menu screens. Keep in mind these are all drafts and once I nail down a direction I will add the small details like myclub info/coins etc.

I'm trying to find the best balance of visual appeal and usability. With that said, would you prefer each category (Kick off, eFootball, etc) have the sub-menus visible within the same screen? Or clean up the space a little and separate them (ie only showing the sub-menu options after pressing kick off).

I've got a few more drafts i've been working on. Not sure how i'll end up deciding on a direction... But figured i'd share nonetheless.

its looks so fresh! :) ...and surely is well overdue update for the series!

i do like the last pic but i would move the settings category to the right side (habbits). kick off could still be left in the middle.
more like this: |Modes | eFootball | Kick Off | Statistics | Settings |

the first one i like too. and i'd prefer if the menu just collapses, not loading a new screen (sub menu)! we had that deep diving into menus (even multiple times) for years now. ^^ just let the menu unfold and collapse to show the sub menu points! thats what i like. :D

keep it up buddy!

edit: are you on twitter? i would like to see weedens having a look at those menu screens! if you are not, i would like to try and spread the word on twitter (only 35 followers though).
https://twitter.com/weedensprod?lang=de

he's doing some media stuff (like trailers) for konami these days... and i could think of him having some to say about the menu as well.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I like all of them, aesthetically pleasing and so much better than Konami's.
If I had to choose, I'd go with the first one. Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong but would the left stick choose the main options while at the same time the right stick the suboptions? I'd be an interesting approach in my opinion, quick and responsive.
Great work.

its looks so fresh! :) ...and surely is well overdue update for the series!

i do like the last pic but i would move the settings category to the right side (habbits). kick off could still be left in the middle.
more like this: |Modes | eFootball | Kick Off | Statistics | Settings |

the first one i like too. and i'd prefer if the menu just collapses, not loading a new screen (sub menu)! we had that deep diving into menus (even multiple times) for years now. ^^ just let the menu unfold and collapse to show the sub menu points! thats what i like. :D

keep it up buddy!

edit: are you on twitter? i would like to see weedens having a look at those menu screens! if you are not, i would like to try and spread the word on twitter (only 35 followers though).
https://twitter.com/weedensprod?lang=de

he's doing some media stuff (like trailers) for konami these days... and i could think of him having some to say about the menu as well.

I actually initially had it set up with the settings and stats to the right, but something was off about it for me. Maybe the fact that i was going backwards aka left to access the modes? I guess I feel players naturally want to move to the right, so i put the modes there.

I am on twitter, i've tried reaching out to PES Universe and Adam Bhatti when i shared my original drafts, but I got no response. Maybe it would be worth tagging Weedens for these new ones.

If I had to choose, I'd go with the first one. Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong but would the left stick choose the main options while at the same time the right stick the suboptions? I'd be an interesting approach in my opinion, quick and responsive.
Great work.

I'm very glad you said that, that's exactly what I had in mind (using the left and right sticks I mean). I'm glad I was naturally able to convey that through design without any instruction

Great work.
Not a fan of 2 sticks in the menu. It’s super unintuitive and remember what happened when Konami changed R2 close control! ;)
One stick, better support the digi cross too, and a few buttons for direct access.
Don’t make it to complicated.

Ok so although it may not seem that way, I've narrowed it down to 7 menu designs :BORED: (I had like 15 or so, so cutting that in half isn't too bad lol)

I'm sharing them all in this link, does anyone know how i can set up a poll so I can do a majority vote?

Ok so although it may not seem that way, I've narrowed it down to 7 menu designs :BORED: (I had like 15 or so, so cutting that in half isn't too bad lol)

I'm sharing them all in this link, does anyone know how i can set up a poll so I can do a majority vote?

as the thread creater... you should be able to start a poll. have a look at the menu top right corner of your first post!

poll.JPG

its hard to choose mate! :D looking all pretty sick! :TU:
i like the dark mode. these days its a common option to have so it would be cool if the game featured that (especially when playing at night) option to switch between light and dark.

nr. 7: i like the small underlying menu here.
nr. 6: i like the gold bar to the selected tile. its better to see what you actually selected.
nr. 4: looks like the other game and i wouldnt mind but i wish for something new!
nr. 2 would be simple and cool if you could press a button and then the highlighted menu tile is splitting to top and bottom giving away the options to select further.
nr. 1: guess that will be the fav version when the vote is up.

overall i like the greyed out players (not selected/highlighted) in the background or left and right...

and finally: they all look better than what we have right now, imo! :APPLAUD:

Last edited:
as the thread creater... you should be able to start a poll. have a look at the menu top right corner of your first post!

View attachment 53793

its hard to choose mate! :D looking all pretty sick! :TU:
i like the dark mode. these days its a common option to have so it would be cool if the game featured that (especially when playing at night) option to switch between light and dark.

nr. 7: i like the small underlying menu here.
nr. 6: i like the gold bar to the selected tile. its better to see what you actually selected.
nr. 4: looks like the other game and i wouldnt mind but i wish for something new!
nr. 2 would be simple and cool if you could press a button and then the highlighted menu tile is splitting to top and bottom giving away the options to select further.
nr. 1: guess that will be the fav version when the vote is up.

overall i like the greyed out players (not selected/highlighted) in the background or left and right...

and finally: they all look better than what we have right now, imo! :APPLAUD:

Very appreciative of all the feedback man, good stuff! I've just set up the poll. This thread hasn't gotten much traction recently but i'm hoping I can get a lot of votes to gauge which one people like best

Very appreciative of all the feedback man, good stuff! I've just set up the poll. This thread hasn't gotten much traction recently but i'm hoping I can get a lot of votes to gauge which one people like best
What font(s) are you using mate?
How could these slides of yours be implemented into unreal engine? ...how does that stuff work?

Last time I build a menu on PC it was for some dvd’s back in the early 2000’s.

Back
Top Bottom