My World Cup 2018 Tournament with Argentina (FIFA 16 MW+mods)

zoVdNz7.jpg

Argentina continued with 5-4-1 formation with Gonzalo Higuain as a lone striker but played Messi a little bit higher. When Sergio Aguero came in as a substitution at '74 Argentina switched to traditional 4-4-2 formation. Giovanni Lo Celso made his World Cup debut in defense.

gIECHlh.png

Uruguay had no surprises with their lineup. Their superstar strikers were tightly held by Argentine defense and they couldn't get much going. They had constant problems with Federico Fazio's and Nicolas Otamendi's height as they effectively muted the effectiveness of headers and long balls.

6WoTvqF.png

Lionel Messi is about to put the deciding penalty behind Uruguay goalkeeper Fernando Musleira.

NtRwB8m.png

2Pm7ypR.jpg

A3rdmOQ.jpg

Penalties

Looks like Peru's victory over Croatia was a fluke. Be wary of Spain, they basically make up all of the Team of the Week. Scary

I feel for Southgate, he didn't deserve to lose by that margin :(

JoZg7je.jpg

Contest between Germany and Argentina will revive memories of World Cup finals of the late 80s and 90s as the sides faced each other for a record third time in Brazil 2014 World Cup final.

Argentina have only scored four goals in the run up to the semifinal, compared to Germany's 11.

Before the tournament started there was a lot of speculation about Argentina's defense but defensemen like Nicolas Otamendi, Nicolas Tagliafico and also colossal Federico Fazio have been extremely solid. That has a lot to do with Argentina's playing style. They switched tactics to defensive 5-4-1 system which they have started both of their cup stage matches.

All eyes will be on Lionel Messi. Argentines will be hoping that the greatest player of his generation will be able to summon the spirit of Diego Maradona and honour the memory of deceased Alfredo Di Stefano by leading them to victory. Messi has scored only one goal in the tournament so far (against Croatia).

Germany crushed England with Thomas Muller's goals. But both Muller and Mats Hummels will be sidelined from the semifinal because of injury they got in the England game.

Qnjj8hc.jpg

It's a new-look Germany that once again has high expectations

WTWL88Q.jpg

OiYpS3C.png

iTEHJuf.png

Toni Kroos tackles striker Sergio Agüero at '105 and second penalty was awarded to Argentina

l0Y8qV1.jpg

LNFCyKO.png

soZbZdY.jpg

Highlights

Spain beat Belgium in the other semifinal and the World Cup Final will be played between Spain and Argentina

85xDiVz.png

pG7u9qD.jpg

After enthralling games which have yielded lots of drama and goals, the winners of World Cup 2018 will be crowned on Sunday night as Spain and Argentina go head-to-head.

Spain, who lifted the World Cup in South Africa in 2010, is big favorite over Argentina who was the runner-up in 2014. Sunday's final will be Spain's second World Cup final appearance and Argentina's sixth.

Spain's all-time record vs. Argentina:

hOVyhbV.jpg

Argentina wants to forget the embarrassing loss in March and with their new-found defensive system that kind of result is not excepted. They will continue to play 5-4-1 formation and rely their tactics heavily on counterattacks. Their defense has surprised everyone during the tournament and neither France, Uruguay or Germany couldn't find keys to open it (France's goal came from penalty).

But Spain are hardly short of players who cherish possession and in Andres Iniesta, Koke, Sergio Busquets and David Silva they have a quartet capable of picking their way through the most tightly locked of defences.

Don't prepare for this match like Ventura did and play with just 2 midfielders against them -- seriously, Spain plays tiki-taka to the death and you basically decide to concede all of midfield to them? What was his problem? :CONFUSE:

PS: Argentina and Spain only played 14 times total? EDIT: Well, Italy played against Brazil only 16 times themselves, so it's really not a surprise then. Argentina-Brazil, on the other hand, was played a whopping 109 times! :WOOT:

Don't prepare for this match like Ventura did and play with just 2 midfielders against them -- seriously, Spain plays tiki-taka to the death and you basically decide to concede all of midfield to them? What was his problem? :CONFUSE:

PS: Argentina and Spain only played 14 times total? EDIT: Well, Italy played against Brazil only 16 times themselves, so it's really not a surprise then. Argentina-Brazil, on the other hand, was played a whopping 109 times! :WOOT:

Yeah, and amazingly the tally between BRA and ARG was _tied_ as well... like 44-44-11 (or something like that) just a few years ago. In last years Brazil has probably won more.

4hkPtBO.jpg

No surprises in both teams' lineups. Argentina continued with their defensive formation and changed to 4-4-2 at '61 when Agüero replaced Salvio.

LWoyLXS.png

jHgSu3E.png

3BMnuGD.png

rhtDdRh.jpg

Xcf6brK.jpg

HIYuDdb.jpg

NKx2EHn.png

KIeTGlA.jpg

Spain's goal was bit of a mistake by Fazio. I wish I could take that corner back. Haha.

But it was a fun tournament.

p0M5JSx.jpg

Argentina had decided very defensive 5-4-1 formation with Gonzalo Higuain as a lone striker. Gabriel Mercado started instead of Federico Fazio.

vHG9PRE.jpg

France went to the game with different approach and they completely dominated the game for the first half.

BYXU9FU.jpg

France players during their national anthem.

NKsRzay.jpg

5zICY9w.jpg

hVdCHzg.jpg

P7wzZqa.jpg

Second round results:

lRhi8Hq.jpg

wO1WtUj.jpg

Highlights:

I love the bend on Higuain’s goal.

Maybe I will, now that we all have this terrible corona quarantine. Maybe a Copa America tournament, huh?

Maybe I will, now that we all have this terrible corona quarantine. Maybe a Copa America tournament, huh?

Well I recently re-installed this so it would be a great opportunity to do it. Get the latest rosters and play the Copa Amerrica 2020 Colombia/Argentina that never was...

Back
Top Bottom