New Stadium(building) all in world

Marseille rebuilding will make it one of most beautifull stadiums in world imo.

capturedcran20101214083.jpg

I'd wait until its finished, those "working-pictures" do never show the result, but a nicely shopped ideal.

They ruined an unique stadium...
These new arenas look more like shopping malls then footy stadiums.

Well if you ask Marseille fans they did just the right thing. As I have read on few places Marseille fans complained for many years because Velodrome haven't had any roof so they were all standing there on rain and wind. Marseille wanted to upgrade the stadium earlier, but they couldn't get funds for it and when France was announced as host for EURO16 they finally got a chance to upgrade it. It won't be unique as until now, true, but it will be much much better and will offer much more comfort for fans

Aerial photo of Velodrome with roof construction almost completed and with roof placed over one of grandstands
1009653_10151633586549798_934658157_o.jpg

I stand by my opinion that I love the architectural accomplishments of the Marseille stadium but the more pictures I see (taken from inside the stadium during games) the more I am starting to dislike it for its cavernous and cold interior.
But..they're still a ways off completing it so Im curious to see what the finished product will look like.

Are these new stadia more environmentally friendly ?

Can they generate their own electrical supplies and water through appropiate technologies ?

The redeveloped Stade Velodrome looks pretty cool in my opinion. Yes, it's going to lose some of its character and look a bit more like the modern generic stadium, but putting a roof on top of the Marseille fans could generate a magnificent and very loud atmosphere. The open-air Velodrome was known for it's cauldron-like atmosphere - the new Velodrome could sound even better.

At first I was a little sad to hear they were going to put a roof on the Velodrome. Always been a fan of open-air stadia, but things change and I think they will become a thing of the past in top-level football.

The Coface Arena in Mainz and the MAGE SOLAR Stadion in Freiburg are said to be environmentally friendly.

I had a look at the stadiums. One looks to be built on a greenfield site which is a shame. The transport system is environmentally friendly and some of the materials.

Didn't see any solar installations or water catchment though.

All building designs and that includes sports stadia need to move to this way of thinking.

There are many solar installations in Freiburg(3/4 of the complete stadium roof is filled with these to be exact), take a look at Wikipedia or on pics. ;)

There are many solar installations in Freiburg(3/4 of the complete stadium roof is filled with these to be exact), take a look at Wikipedia or on pics. ;)

Thanks. :)) That is excellent to see. I read a little more about Freiburg and it isn't just the stadium but the residences that have extensive solar power.

This is the way forward with the advances in photosystem technology and storage. They deserve congratulations.

A pity more clubs and towns are not moving this way. New builds here in England do not have that much regard to independent power generation. :(

picturegallery-120740-628878.jpg

Dortmund also have solar on their stadium

Thanks Hansi. :))

That is very aesthetic too in a way. It has to be said as seems commonplace that we here in England are lagging behind most countries in Europe with regards to renewable energy supply.

Germany as usual seems to be ahead of everyone else with their planning and also more of a Green lobby than here where we are stuck with an obsession with fossil fuels and nuclear.

Policies here mean installing solar panels for instance is expensive and have no inducements for companies and residential use of sufficient amounts to persuade people to take it up.

House design remains poor.

I have written a letter to my club Watford asking for them to include solar panels on the new stand roof and provision for water catchment , when it does get built.

If everything goes as planed, this is the last season that Rijeka's Kantrida stadium will be used.
1233426_636039163085608_1974314240_n.jpg

Plans are to demolish the stadium, starting in May when Croatian 1st divison finishes, and to build a new stadium on that same place. New stadium will hold 12.000 spectators (11.000 under the roof) and in future it may be enlarged to accommodate 18.000 spectators. Pics of how new stadium should look in spoiler

1240080_10151960874829319_1409626412_n.jpg

1239007_10151960874834319_420870995_n.jpg

1234602_10151960874824319_60853210_n.jpg

996603_10151960874879319_202380915_n.jpg

While work is being done, Rijeka will play their home matches in Pula at Aldo Drosina stadium. It is planed for new stadium to be built and ready in summer of 2015. for start of 2015/16 season

It's a nice stadium and I like that they'll use the current location, but it's a shame that they'll leave Kantrida. Always has been one of my favourite stadia.

true. Kantrida really is one of the best looking and best placed stadiums in the world. But...it is old and rusty and too small. Pitch is 2 meters narrower than minimum needed for UEFA competitions, tribunes are not that comfort (been there few times so I know from personal experience) and now that Rijeka has again risen in form it is too small to accommodate everyone who wants to be there watching game.

And now, I am reading that Split will candidate for hosting UEFA EURO 2020 and that there are plans to modernize Poljud stadium for that occasion. Here is a picture that shows what was planned for EURO2012 (when Croatia and Hungary bid together for hosting of competition) as that same project is planned to be materialized for 2020
poljud_270258S1.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't notice that too...

Slow day today, lol. Seriously though the inside of the stadium looks very nice. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom