Newcastle - do you class these as a big team?

JustinAccurate

Conference
4 August 2003
Heading Shooto!
I got to thinking - I normally sit in a room called "DONT pick the best teams" and quite often people will pick Newcastle to play against my Bolton/Wigan

All of newcastles best players are on the bench to start. Michael Owen is one of the best strikers in the game and martins is one of the fastest.

I played as Newcastle once when I was trying to pick an underdog team against someone who came in my room then picked Man U and I hammered him. Out paced and out passed.

Just wanted to see what others thought on this matter :)

newcastle are classed as a "lesser-big" team, you have your teams like portsmouth, aston villa who are big but not as big as the 4 english giants such as arsenal, chelsea, manu and liverpool.

if you can beat manu with newcastle then your alright, i reckon newcastle have good players but are just in poor form, they seem to do really well in my ML though.

alright, I have pes 6 for the PC, have you any idea how I can play it online, the only sites i can find are in french i think and I have only one language

I class Newcastle as a fair team to play as, I use them quite a lot and I beat people who use Barca/Inter/Chelsea, the pace of the strikers and passing and pace of midfield are as good as any.
They are not a "big" team because the defence is quite weak and slow.
I prefer to use Newcastle even over Man Utd now :)

newcastle are the 5th biggest club in england .just beacuse portsmouth bolton etc are ahead of us now does not mean they are bigger than us. and we are on amazing form not poor form . the best suported team in england hands down.

Last edited:
newcastle are the 5th biggest club in england .just beacuse portsmouth bolton etc are ahead of us now does not mean they are bigger than us. and we are on amazing form not poor form . the best suported team in england hands down.

That's debatable. I'm sure United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelski all have more fans than Newcastle

On what basis? Thats clearly not true though is it, Newcastle have won nothing in comparison to the likes of Arsenal, United, Pool, Villa, Everton and Spurs

I think Everton,Villa and Spurs are bigger than Newcastle (titles,European success,history), as for best supported, on what basis,attendance?Don't think so.
I'd like to know how they are the best supported,thats pretty much a matter of opinion and i would'nt say you're biased or anything.
:eh:

That's debatable. I'm sure United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelski all have more fans than Newcastle

:lol: :lol: :lol: yer glory suporters u idiot u honestly think manchester united wud have 70 000 fans at old trafford if they never won anything for years , defiantly not chelsea were pulling in 20 000 fans a few year ago before they got money and there still worst fans ever to come to st james park

If in your league you can't play only with likes of man u, chelsea, arsenal... Then i think you can choose newcastle. But if there's kinds of Roma, Benfica, Villareal, Valencia, Tottneham, then i think you can't choose Newcastle.

yes but wasnt it like 15 years ago that you could barely scrape 15,000.

Newcastle are a one club city, so you should be getting a crowd of over 50,000.

If Liverpool or manchester was a one club city there crowds would be upwards of 100,000.

Newcastle are not a big club, dont delude yourself, you had one patch in the 90's where you could have won something, other than that you have been nothing more than a middle of the road club.

:lol: :lol: :lol: yer glory suporters u idiot u honestly think manchester united wud have 70 000 fans at old trafford if they never won anything for years , defiantly not chelsea were pulling in 20 000 fans a few year ago before they got money and there still worst fans ever to come to st james park

Ah,the old 'glory supporters' chestnut.
Used by big team wannabes to justify why they are only the 4th or 5th best supported team in the league.
I remember when Newcastle were in the first(old second)division,before Keegan took over.
I seem to remember them struggling to fill the ground back then.
Then,for some reason,they all came flooding back.
Not glory supporters though,maybe they just 'lost' their tickets down the backs of their sofa's or something and found them when they got promoted.
For the record -
Newcastle have finished as the Football League's best supported club on no fewer than 10 occasions.

Man Utd 34;
Everton 13;
Arsenal 12;
Newcastle/Chelsea 10

BTW Man utd did go years without winning anything, they were called the 70's and 80's (barring the odd FA Cup).I still seem to remember them filling O.T. even when they went down.
You probably don't remember or count anything before 1992 though.
Conveniently.

Last edited:
There's no doubt that Newcastle fans are some of the most ardent fans in the Premiership, but to say that they're the best supported club in England is a bit much. Glory-hunters or not, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and probably Chelski have more fans than the Toon

Back on topic.
Newcastle have some damn fine players.
Owen,Martins,Luque,Dyer,Given etc.
Thats more than enough to give a top team the fright of their lives.
Definiteley dark horses in game,capable of beating any team.
My best mates a Newcastle fan and gives me the odd battering with them.

Last edited:

We'll manchester united (there the team i support) have not won the league in a few years and they were still getting full attendances, were as newcastle have not had a great season so far, and st james has not been full every week, i did not support man utd because of the trophies that they had won, i supported them because my granda did and he followed them since before the busby babes

Back
Top Bottom