Next -gen is NOT what is was cracked up to be so far.

BumperMan

Champions League
20 June 2005
North America
Legia Warsaw
No system have shown me full potential or absolutely wowed me. I have been impressed but nothing has stuck out at as me as "Ohhh that's it,what can they think up next?!"

I have a 360 and it's much better than the dreamcast.

I have the Wii and so far it's just been out for about 3 months over here in the US but I'm about as impressed with it as much as the first year of the Nintendo DS to be frank.

I do not have a PS3. i should,but why? i waited almost 6 months before I got the 360 to make sure there was some sort of catelog to chose from.

Discuss

Re: OK. I'm gonna put it out there. next -gen is NOT what is was cracked up to be so

I have a 360. And a Wii.

I spend most of my time playing PES6 on the PC with my mates.

Re: OK. I'm gonna put it out there. next -gen is NOT what is was cracked up to be so

Ive just got rainbow 6 vegas and am back in love with the 360.

The Xbox 360 had only been out for a year and as we know that is never enough time for a console to produce its best.
Wii, PS3 are obviosly way behind, Wii will never produce the next gen graphics its all about games.
Wait for games like Mass effect, Bioshock etc etc and even those games will be easily over taken by sequels or whatever in 2 years time.
Thats why its funny when ppl who should know better are expecting an amazing WE/PES first edition on the PS3 look at the PS2 the game took 3 editions before it got to its peak.

I really want to agree, because yeah, nothing that's totally different from previous games has been released yet (and yesterday I played ISS Pro Evo 2 on the PSone for a laugh - I couldn't get over how much better it is than the current PES)...

But I'm spending more and more time on the 360, playing Table Tennis, World Championship Snooker, Tiger Woods, FIFA 07, and especially Gears Of War (plus the Rainbow Six games and even Oblivion, which I still have a stab at now and then - I will remind you that one of the PS3's launch titles is Oblivion, which makes me laugh :)). As far as the average amount of time spent on a console per day goes, I am on the 360 way, WAY more often than I was ever on the PS2, the PSone or any other console (apart from maybe when I was 8 with a NES and I did little else all day).

So as much as I want to complain, I can't really - original games or not, I'm playing them more than any other.

You're right I too am playing the 360 a lot more now.

I bought just about EVERY EA sport game and every2k game and just love going back in forth with them for each of their strengths.

THEN it's Lost Planet which is real good

i 100% agree, and infact i think if you dont like first person shooters then its pretty crap. and i dont think its better than the dreamcast! i was thinking of my old dc a few days ago....felt like playing toy commander! lol. dunno what it is about my 360 i just dont enjoy it atall. its back in its box, i very occassionally play my ps2, maybe im just going off games!

I think alot of people have gone too far in thinking on what Next Gen can offer you...... ATM I aint playing very much, the last thing I played alot was WE DS, I have a variety of XB360 games sitting doing feck all, I havent even completed a chapter in Gears.....

Like Paddy, I aint gaming as much as I used too, and do feel I have lost the bug abit, hell after PES2, I dont think I have completed a single ML season........... Mostly I look for multiplayer games for Live, so if I do get a chance I can play with people.

I loved PGR3 and maybe it will be PGR4 that will interest me again, or some super WE/PES with the same new approach that the ISS PE gave us all them years ago.

We all got stunned years ago with Mortal Kombat on a home console with digitised people, or Street Fighter 2 being almost arcade perfect........ If a game has playability, and is FUN to play, thats entertainment folks, I think alot of people are just expecting too much just yet, no doubt the PS3, when in the hands of people like Kojima will bring a new level to it all, but till then, I really think we have some of the best looking games. I will need to save for an HDTV tho to get the best out of them!!!!!

For me, Next Gen is great, we all have wireless controllers now, and some have wireless t'internet connections. Graphics on two of the machines are still being pushed, and the control system on one is pretty unique for now. I love it, even tho I aint playing as much as I have done in the past........

I felt the same way six months ago - I feel the same way about Football Manager at the moment. I used to play it non-stop, almost literally - now I drag myself onto it once a week and I don't even watch the screen while a match is playing out. But games like World Championship Snooker and Gears Of War have dragged me back into gaming kicking and screaming (as well as being able to play Super Mario World [SNES] on the PSP - the one Mario game I've never played - and Crash Bandicoot on the PSP as well).

Hopefully something will come along and ignite your interest again - but I totally agree with you, Holio, everyone sees "next generation" and expects a virtual-reality headset and a ball on a string. FIFA 07's "pass wherever you want" system and Gears Of War's "duck, cover and if you die your team is dead" system are both next-gen to me.

Although saying that, Guitar Hero (when originally released on PS2) was next-gen to me as well...!

Mario World was the one Mario game you never played? That was THE best Mario game by a mile.

In relation to PES, I think the game looks better on PS2/PC than on the 360. Just my opinion...

Mario World was the one Mario game you never played? That was THE best Mario game by a mile.
Back in the days of Mario, I couldn't afford it. When I was less than 10, I was given a NES for Christmas, and while I finished Mario 1 and 2, we could never afford the 3rd one or a SNES console (how badly I wanted one)... I finished the 3rd Mario at a friend's house, and I only got to play on Super Mario World once, at the same friend's house (after hijacking his NES he wouldn't let me on the SNES for more than five minutes). After that, I had a Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS, and played all of the Marios released for them, but never Super Mario World. Until now, that is - and it is bloody brilliant. My favourite two are definitely SMW and New Super Mario Bros, which I thought was a blast.

As if you cared.

In relation to PES, I think the game looks better on PS2/PC than on the 360. Just my opinion...
Very much with you on that one. On PS2 I think PES is decent (personally don't see it as an improvement over previous versions but still decent). On 360, the forced "Merseyside Red" situation is bad enough, but the gameplay feels nothing like as refined as on other formats. I'm actually having a great laugh on FIFA 07 on the PS2 at the minute - playing a full lower-league season is what I've always wanted from a PES. Just a bit of a shame that you can get sacked. I seem to be getting worse at video games. :eh:

Oh no, its not the nextgen we wanted but, konami spend all their power for the PS3, they wanted to lauch the game as soon as possible, and they know their gameplay is god!PES was released to soon on the 360. only a few stadiums no editing mode.......!

The problem for me is that nextgen games are raly looking like PCgames, its strange to explain how i want an Console game, but i remember first time i saw resident evil o PS one it was grea´t!

I have now my 360 after 3 weeks the only thing i can say is, i love this console, some great games like PGR3 or dead or alive4!
But after one Year i am waiting for a new resident evil, i want a wining eleven/Pes that kicks Ass!

And overall i dont want PCport Games!

Back in the days of Mario, I couldn't afford it. When I was less than 10, I was given a NES for Christmas, and while I finished Mario 1 and 2, we could never afford the 3rd one or a SNES console (how badly I wanted one)... I finished the 3rd Mario at a friend's house, and I only got to play on Super Mario World once, at the same friend's house (after hijacking his NES he wouldn't let me on the SNES for more than five minutes). After that, I had a Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS, and played all of the Marios released for them, but never Super Mario World. Until now, that is - and it is bloody brilliant. My favourite two are definitely SMW and New Super Mario Bros, which I thought was a blast.

As if you cared.
Its ok, Jack. Let it all out.
53033155.gallery.jpg

TBH, I went through the exact same thing when I was that age. Its just that (luckily) Mario World was one of the few games that I had.

I'm going to use FIFA as an example here.

I think most people forget what games like FIFA 2001 or 2002 really looked like back early on in the PS2's life. It looked like a freaking PS1 game with slightly higher texture resolution and poly counts...........so why do people all of a sudden get upset with first year 360 games seeming like nothing but Xbox games with more shaders and higher poly counts?

cos now we are at an age where the consoles are bought with our own money!.........and a bloody lot of money it is too!

I'm going to use FIFA as an example here.

I think most people forget what games like FIFA 2001 or 2002 really looked like back early on in the PS2's life. It looked like a freaking PS1 game with slightly higher texture resolution and poly counts...........so why do people all of a sudden get upset with first year 360 games seeming like nothing but Xbox games with more shaders and higher poly counts?

I was saying this 3 years ago but for some reason i dont know why ppl on these forums just forget the past and get completely stupid.

I do remember very much so. It takes time to get the most out of any machine and patience is the key here. In a few years time the games will reach their peak.

Dj

Bendy boots and sweat rolling down players' faces in FIFA 07 not good enough for you then?! Bloody hell, I think you're being a bit harsh there!!

certain games look amazing on the 360, strangely, IMO I think PGR3 is the best looking game for the system, and that was a launch title, then you get certain games which should look great, and don't (thinking PES6, Lost Planet)

I dunno about the PS3, but I reckon it's gonna be a long, hard struggle to get the full potential out of it

and as for the Wii, I don't class it as a next-gen console.

"Next Gen" is never what it's cracked up to be until you get a few years in. You'd be a fool to judge any system on it's first few months. No ps2 launch title ever looked as good as God of War...

Back
Top Bottom