NHL 10 (360 / PS3)

Honome

The Hated Chatbox Murder
16 April 2003
Brasil
Fluminense
First NHL 10 Details
What's next for EA Sports' hockey franchise?
by John Gaudiosi

May 14, 2009 - David Littman, producer of EA Sports' NHL videogame franchise, was on hand for the NHL All-Star festivities in Montreal earlier this season. EA Sports used the event to debut its 3 on 3 NHL Arcade game, which has done extremely well as a downloadable title on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network since then. Littman, who previously played in the NHL for the Buffalo Sabres and Tampa Bay Lightning, talked about the future of the hockey franchise in this exclusive interview.

IGN: Last year's fighting mechanic was pretty weak. Can you talk about what you've done to fix that?

David Littman: For the first time ever we have a new first-person fighting engine that enables you to trade punches with an NHL tough guy. You are not watching the fight you are actually fighting. You feel the punches connecting as you try to land your own. The first-person fighting engine enables you to throw and dodge punches or tug on the sweater of your opponent to land punches. First person fighting is a key part of a new physical style of play we have developed for NHL 10. Fighting for the sake of fighting is not what this feature is all about. Just like the real-world game, there is a strategy to fighting. It is important to pick the right time to change the momentum of the game, to protect one of your teammates, to inspire your teammates or to send a message to the other team.

IGN: How does this work in terms of gameplay?

David Littman: We have a new first-person camera view where the Left Stick is used to dodge and avoid punches and the Right Stick is used to aim and throw punches. Pushing straight up on the Right Stick will throw a punch at the center of the screen. If the player you're fighting against dodges left or right, it's up to you to then punch in that direction with the Right Stick. Aside from the quick, straight punches, there are also power punches that are done by pulling back on the Right Stick then pushing forward towards the other players head. These punches do the most damage but also leave you open for a counter if you miss. Users can also tug their opponent by pulling down on the Left Stick. When the player is off balance because of the tug, you can then throw an upper cut by pushing up on the Right Stick.

IGN: How are fights decided?

David Littman: The CPU will also have different fight styles so if you're fighting a Tough Guy, they're more likely to stand in and try to go toe to toe but if you're fighting a player that is less likely to fight, you can expect them to dodge and avoid punches then try and pick their spots with quick counter punches. And….If you end up in a fight with player that you don't want to risk injury to (yes, you can get injured from fighting this year), press the LT + RT to turtle.

IGN: Speaking of fighting, what other ways can gamers intimidate the opposition in the new game?

David Littman: Intimidation is a huge part of hockey and will definitely be part of NHL10. There's a real reason to use your third and fourth lines in NHL 10. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about gimmicky meters or unauthentic HUD elements, I'm talking about authentic gameplay effects and behavior changes. Using your tough guys and grinders to finish your checks will start to wear down and intimidate the other team. The first, second or third big hit might not cause a turnover but eventually you will notice intimidated players rushing passes and D-men slapping the puck around the boards after dump ins instead of trying to pick up the puck and make a tape to tape pass. You'll also see intimidated players bobble pass receptions if they're about to be hit. When you notice that your players are being intimidated, that's your cue to get a tough guy out on the ice and try to start a fight to stand up for your team and mitigate your team's intimidation level.

IGN: There's a lot of hockey that happens after the whistle blows, how have you addressed that this year?

David Littman: Tied into intimidation is post whistle play, which is also a major focus for us this year. Users will be able to facewash players for the first time as well as start fights and get penalties after the whistle. If you shoot the puck at the goalie after the whistle, you can expect a scrum to ensue and maybe even a fight.

IGN: With the playoffs in full swing, how will you simulate that in NHL 10?

David Littman: The 2009 playoffs have been amazing to watch because of all the raw emotion both on the ice and in the crowd. The first thing you'll notice in our game this year during the intro to each game are the brand new crowds that are all standing on their feet and waving towels. You'll also notice other props such as foam fingers and puck heads. Once you get into gameplay, we have features all authentic to what you're seeing right now in the NHL playoffs, such as team's starting their 4th line to set the tone, post whistle scrums, fights after the whistle, coincidental penalties, penalties after the whistle, grinders and tough guys finishing their checks to wear down opponents, and glass bangers reacting to the action right in front of them. If you stop behind the net with the puck, you'll even see the one guy all by himself that every arena has who will stand up and bang the glass by himself.

959973_20090415_790screen001.jpg

959973_20090415_790screen002.jpg

959973_20090415_790screen004.jpg

959973_20090415_790screen005.jpg

nhl-10-20090514112736732-000.jpg

nhl-10-20090514112739747-000.jpg

Hockey is one of the toughest sports in the world to play, which is why they say the Stanley Cup is the hardest championship to win in pro sports. You have to be conditioned to take on anything that comes your way at any time. You must keep your head up when you’re going down the ice because if you aren’t careful you are going to get drilled by one big dude with a mean streak. And it’s not like you have much places to hide either. The playing surface is surrounded by boards unlike other sports. So once you’re on that ice, you got nowhere to run for the next 40 seconds of your shift. If that was bad enough, if you become the target of a player that has been itching to punch someone out, you now got to protect your face from getting dinged up by a fury a fists.

Yes, hockey isn’t all about finesse and highlight reel plays, although you wouldn’t be able to know otherwise judging by the previous versions of NHL. In the past you were able to speed past defenders down low because you wouldn’t get trapped into the boards. It was a game where every player had legend like pass accuracy and you play ring around the rosy with the puck. You didn’t have to worry about your little guy getting pegged by Andre the Giant because he didn’t know the meaning of being frighten. And be honest, who actually thought the fighting system was well done for NHL 09? While NHL is a franchise that is extremely fun to play, it is far too pretty of a hockey game. Plus what was the point in using your 3rd and 4th liners but just to give your scoring lines a rest? NHL in the past was all about the skills with the puck.

NHL10_OvechkinLeglift02.jpg

Well that’s about to change.

NHL 10 gameplay is about those players that can handle the toll to win the cup. It’s about the players who stand up for their teammates and don’t allow their key players to get gooned up. It’s about those players that can get their team going when the flow of play may not be working in they’re favour. NHL 10 is giving some love to the tough guys and the grinders. It is them that while aren’t relied on to score the big goals (although they can at odd times); they are the utility part of any successful team. This year’s main gameplay features are aimed towards the players that may not get all of the attention from the media.

First Person Fighting

First person fighting is the biggest feature for NHL 10. It is completely different from years past alone in the aspect that when you enter a fight, you’re put directly in the view of your fighter. In a two player game, the screens would be split horizontally. Before a fight actually starts, you have to skate towards your opponent to draw a fight. If you tick someone off enough, he will accept your challenge to get into a fight.

NHL10_PittFight04.jpg

Once you’re in fighters view, you have to duck and dodge your opponent’s punches, and then throw some of your own. You can wrestle the player to gain leverage on them. If you get punched in the face, the screen would darker to indicate your health status. Once your screen begins getting darker you’re near knock out stage. If you’re in a fight that’s a terrible mismatch though, it may be better to turtle out of the fight so you don’t get hurt unnecessarily.

But this doesn’t mean that the game is going to become a fight fest. Fights are meant to be done at times of the game when your team needs the energy. When a teammate sees their player going out there to battle toe-to-toe with another, it gives the whole bench energy to push harder. Fighting at the appropriate times will reward your team by letting off some fatigue and refresh your player’s energy.

You defiantly have to keep aware and stay on your toes when fighting this year because you will feel what it’s like to be in a hockey fight. You’ll feel the punches thrown; you’ll feel the grappling and pulling going on. You’ll feel that ball of fist hit you square in the face. Fighting is intense and the developers at EA Canada are looking to replicate that for the user.

Intimidation Tactics

Tough guys aren’t just about fighting other players; they can keep other players on their toes because they’re big enough to give damage to smaller guys physically and psychologically. If your players are getting bruised up too often, it’s going to affect their play because they are intimidated. They will begin to bobble received passes, fatigue quicker, and their play will look off. You can even try to fight with a star player to rough them up. But if he has a player that will drop the gloves around to defend him, he will intervene to come fight you. It’s now part of the game to protect your superstars and make sure that they are protected out there otherwise they may skate around a bit shaken.

Board Play

Board play is getting a complete do over this year which was sorely needed. Board play is a key part of success for a team game by game, because if they can win the board battles, they stand a great chance in retaining puck possession, which more times than not leads to wins.

NHL10_Intimidation_pressure.jpg

Pinning is now a dynamic field of play rather then played out animation by the game. You can pin a player up the boards during which you can fight to gain better position to poke the puck away, or keep the player in check and let your teammate come by to pick up the puck. On the offensive side, your player will keep the puck between his skates where will move the puck along with him to try to escape the pin. If you see your buddy nearby though, you can kick the puck out towards them as a pass to retain possession. Also, you have the option to brace up against the boards to prepare for a pin before it happens. Now that we have control in how a board battle can play out, this part of the hockey game will truly be present in NHL 10. Be ready to be squeezed up against the boards more frequently this year.

Precision Passing

Tape-to-tape-to-tape passing was the main ingredient in the NHL series. It set up and arcade flavour though because it allowed the game to be too much run n’ gunning. You can always move that puck around and then fire it off to the slot for the easy one timer because of how easily you can pass. Not to worry no more though, that is being addressed this year. The accuracy is being lowered so you’ll see less than perfect passes more frequently. Pass aim has also been touched up on so you will be able to aim to the intended target better instead of passing to a player you didn’t mean too.

But that alone hasn’t been done to the pass system. NHL 10 will feature Precision Passing which gives the user total control in where pass goes. You can send the pass off directly to the intended target, or be a bit more creative and bank it off the boards or send it to an intended spot for your player to pick it up. Users can also amount the strength of the pass as well. You can set up a soft pass for short distance range, or you can hold the pass button to fire off a fast, hard pass for a longer range pass. This will allow the user to fire those passes to spring a player on an offensive rush or get it by those nearby defenders. Total control is in your hands when passing.

Post Whistle Action

Look at the playoffs this year and one thing that stands out big time, and that’s the scrums after the whistle. Players getting in other players grill. Not allowing their goalie to get rattled up from a player stepping into their territory. Players are sticking up for each other, or trying to create havoc. All of that will be present in NHL 10.
Shooting the puck at the goalie will get you mugged. Hitting a player on the opposing team will get you mugged. Basically doing anything to irritate the other team will get you some sort of attention. You can even provoke fights after the whistle by giving a nice facewash which hockey players love. You got to be careful to not be overzealous however; otherwise you will be heading to the box since penalties are called after the play.

NHL10_Post_Whistle_GirouxFaceWash01.jpg

Interactive Crowds

Easily the most exciting thing about playoffs hockey aside from the play on the ice is the energy the crowd brings. The crowd noise level defiantly could get a boost during this time of the year, and you won’t need the remote to replicate that because the crowd will get loud during the most exciting time of the season. The crowd will dress up in team colours during the playoff time. The ‘C’ of Red will be dominated by red jerseys; and the Mellon Arena will be filled with white for the Penguins. Fans will also carry playoff props such as towels to twirl around when the good times roll.

If crowd noise and colours wasn’t enough, EA has gone to improve the graphics resolution of the crowd. The females now come to the hockey game as well. Fans in the front row seats will bang on the board when the action of play is near them. In a playoff series that features a villain, if he’s on the road he will get booed by the home crowd each time he carries the puck. The crowd is alive, and smart, for NHL 10.

Emotion, grittiness, toughness, fighting (of course) and the crowd are the big thing this year, but there’s still more to come. Stay tuned for more impression in the future as new news comes out gameplay, Dynasty Mode, Be A Pro and Online Mode.

sorry but i read that article and the guy who is interviewd is an idiot.

A)there is out of bounds in hockey, its called the puck going out of play
B)oveckin cant have a tinted visor, they outlawed it

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry but i read that article and the guy who is interviewd is an idiot.

A)there is out of bounds in hockey, its called the puck going out of play
B)oveckin cant have a tinted visor, they outlawed it

ove, always the 2k defender! :LOL:

From a netminder's perspective, i'm hoping they fix the goalie AI.
Probably because i've been a goalie for the last 24years and i'm a goalie coach that i'm too picky though :(

No news on any proposed PC version ? Or will they still use the same tired old engine from 2006 ?

Or even bother ?

No news on any proposed PC version ? Or will they still use the same tired old engine from 2006 ?

Or even bother ?

sorry man, the news are bad for PC users, there will be no NHL 10 for the PC, they just prefer to cancell it in sted of making a 360/ps3 version for computers. :(

Looking good, but the first person fighting seems shit. Just looks stiff and boring.

sorry bro but two things

1)the checking looks terrible
2)those devs are idiots, "the only way you win in hockey is to dump and chase" please

sorry bro but two things

1)the checking looks terrible
2)those devs are idiots, "the only way you win in hockey is to dump and chase" please

1) the checking is ok for me, but it´s one of the few things that i prefered in 2k9 in stead of 09

2) they don´t say that dump and chase is the only way to win but that´s very used and possibly to be made now since in previous versions that was not a very efective tactic to use. now seems that sometimes you will be forced to use it because of the dificulty entreing the offensive zone.

I would honestly get the game just for that manager mode, if it's as good as it looks. Even though I have no idea about hockey.

I would honestly get the game just for that manager mode, if it's as good as it looks. Even though I have no idea about hockey.
:LOL:

Well mate you can take me as an exemple, my interesse in hockey(the sport) begins after playing NHL92 and NHL93 back in mega drive years a long time ago. After that i begin enjoying the sport, understand the rules, knowing the players and the history of the sport. So i dom´t see why you can´t use videogames to know more about a different sport.

Nice one. I hope there will be hardcore mode in the demo too. That's the way I'll play it, fully manual fifa and fully manual nhl!

Nice one. I hope there will be hardcore mode in the demo too. That's the way I'll play it, fully manual fifa and fully manual nhl!

yes, the hardcore mode is avaiable on demo and it´s separated from skill levels, you can play hardcore mode on any skill level, what is great because the hardcore mode is more something to add realism and not to make the CPU harder, is to make the GAME harder.

yes, the hardcore mode is avaiable on demo and it´s separated from skill levels, you can play hardcore mode on any skill level, what is great because the hardcore mode is more something to add realism and not to make the CPU harder, is to make the GAME harder.

Yeah I really liked that too. First I thought it would just be about making the CPU better, but it's about making it realistic as you say which is just awesome.

Really looking forward to nhl this year, will be perfect to have this and not having to wait for fifa 10, makes the wait feel much shorter. Haven't looked if they have improved their offline BAP mode, but it was already pretty good so it will be a blast for a BAP geek like myself.

Back
Top Bottom