No Becks in the England Squad

CW

C Dub
Founding Member
6 October 2001
Liverpool
Well it looks like Mclaren will be taking the England team in a totally different direction from safe Sven.

The most high profile of the changes is the dropping of Beckham, what do you lads think of this?

I for one think its a good move by the new manager, for me Becks has only survived so long in the team as he was Captain and coz he knew how to put in a good ball. Good Work Mr Mclaren

You lot can say what you want but Beckham was a great player and is STILL useful (not needed, but useful) for England. He just needs a different role and he could still make the team.

I agree with RuneEdge he can still play some decent part in the Squad if you ask me.

DJ

djdoc360 said:
I agree with RuneEdge he can still play some decent part in the Squad if you ask me.

DJ

Yeah, I wonder if he has a driving licence for the team bus :D

I don't think Becks is a bad player, I do think he could play a part providing he gets back to his best. This is a message from Mclaren, this says to all the player that they need to work and perform at the highest standard to get in the team. Far far too many of Svens choices were based on player status rather than performance. Fingers crossed we don't head down that path again.

LemonJelly said:
I don't think Becks is a bad player, I do think he could play a part providing he gets back to his best. This is a message from Mclaren, this says to all the player that they need to work and perform at the highest standard to get in the team. Far far too many of Svens choices were based on player status rather than performance. Fingers crossed we don't head down that path again.

obviously we aren't because he has dropped beckham and picked ashton.

Last edited by a moderator:
im very sad...
he played very well in WC 2006, and i believe he'll play well in Euro08 if he had a chance...
his accurate long passes , and his famous free-kicks contributed to england greatly in 06 WC

I think its a good move.

1. It gives others chance to impress, because lets be honest Beckham is going to be 33 at Euro 2008, so its about time we find someone else to play in his position.

2. It gives Beckham a wake up call thay basically says you may have been Eriksson's bum chum, but your gonna have to earn your place from now on.

Im not saying Beckhams shit, hes still good, but will have to work harder for his place, and I'm sure he'll want to play for England for as long as he can.

Phil Neville made the squad! now thats a joke!!

Ashton not great but he is better than crouch.

lol if u say so man... ^

i think beckham being dropped is a good thing.

makes becks know he aint got that certainty of making the squad like he had with sven in charge. he now knows he'll have to work hard and fight for his place.

proves mclaren has balls also! sven never had what it took to drop becks even when he didnt play well! england might miss becks' sweet long balls but we can try something new now!

im glad to see the likes of wright-phillips & defoe back in the team. how them two didnt go germany baffled me!

ashton deserves his chance too...

i think england with terry captain, venables as assistant and mclaren as manager, england will be a much better team!

Last edited:
I really disagree with the fact that Beckham was only there because he was Sven's favourite. Come on, he deserved his post. What he can achieve is just amazing. When you compare positive and negative aspect, Beckham brings too much to be axed like shit.

And remember that Zidane (before headbutt) & Makelele were great during the WC because it was their last competition. I'm sure he'll be back.

I know that England want to try a new system and it's great but be careful of mysteries. France tried during 1 full year and it was a disaster.

"And remember that Zidane (before headbutt) & Makelele were great during the WC because it was their last competition. I'm sure he'll be back."

good point man...maybe becks could put in a good perfomance, get into the euro 2008 team and put in a "last tourney" performance for us and win it for england. :)

p.s - being a united/real madrid fan i have special praise for becks and i always remember how he single handedly got us into the 2002 world cup with that last min free kick. but theres been times where i thought 'id drop him if i were sven'

Last edited:
Finally they get to their senses............Beckham is nothing man. Worse football player. All he has is a great long pass and a great free kick...........and not to forget great looks wich helps selling lots and lots of t-shirts. Really overrated player pfff.....

Amsterdammer said:
Finally they get to their senses............Beckham is nothing man. Worse football player. All he has is a great long pass and a great free kick...........and not to forget great looks wich helps selling lots and lots of t-shirts. Really overrated player pfff.....

My sentiments exactly!

The guy plays for 'Brand Beckham'. He's a total narcissist. There were a ton of players who offer more than him on the pitch. Just look at the world cup - Figueiredo, Cambiasso, Cahill, Borowski, Appiah, Pirlo, Pardo... but do any of them get special blue boots to kick a ball in? NO! Whenever a goal is scored, who is first to jump on the players back? Just so his face is in the papers - yup, it's the one trick pony himself.

David Beckham has managed to draw some of the sting from the media's recriminations by announcing that he was stepping down as captain. At least he owed Eriksson that, given the coach's strange insistence on selecting him come what may. Eriksson declared that he was not married to his captain but Beckham still became his ball and chain. Having hitched his wagon to a star Eriksson ended up tied to a paper moon.

People were even conceiving that if the position arose, Ericsson would have picked Beckham in goal if that was the only position available - however, by changing the formation to fit him - 'quarterback position' for fucks sake! - We adopted to fit into the team a man so in love with his own image; he played for himself, and not his team.

In a way Beckham's announcement, absurdly treated by Sky Sports as if it was another Abdication, may have stolen some of McClaren's thunder since the new coach's first decision would have been whether or not to allow a fading captain to keep the armband. That would have been McClaren's chance to declare himself his own man, much as Bobby Robson did when, on succeeding Ron Greenwood, he not only stripped Kevin Keegan of his captain's pips but dropped the nation's idol altogether.

Not that it really matters. The England captaincy has become a public relations exercise and, while Beckham applied himself assiduously to the PR bit, about the only time he showed genuine leadership on the field was when he almost single-handedly dragged England to automatic qualification for the last World Cup in the 2-2 draw with Greece at Old Trafford. England's best World Cup captain since Bobby Moore remains Mick Mills, who took over from the injured Keegan in Spain in 1982 although John Terry, say, might reverse the trend sufficiently to challenge this claim.

So, bye bye Mr Merchandise! :applause: When it comes to the right-hand side of midfield, it's time for Lennon to play. He reminds me of the late Celtic winger Jimmy Johnstone because he's so small and changes direction really quickly. He has a low centre of gravity; he's there one minute and gone the next.

The World Cup didn't faze him when he was used as a substitute and there's no bigger competition than that, so why hold him back? It's also important to remember that when Lennon came on, England weren't playing very well, yet he still managed to make an impact. Think back to the Trinidad & Tobago match: Wayne Rooney might have lifted the players when he made his return but it was Lennon who made the real difference.

It was the same in the quarter-final against Portugal when Lennon came on for Beckham. The big thing that he gives you is that defenders immediately back off when he gets the ball. No one really backs off when Becks gets the ball. That's no disrespect to David and his ability, he's been a good player for England, but he's a different type of player to someone like Lennon, who can beat a man and cross from the byline.

I think the problem Beckham has always had is that he's never really been sure whether he wanted to play on the right-hand side of midfield or in the middle. I remember reading a post some years ago, when he said "great players have played through the middle - I am one of those players".

His greatest asset is/was supplying fantastic crosses but he also has the ability to cross balls without beating people. At times when he was on the right it looked like he wanted to be in the middle, and when he did come inside, everyone was on a postage stamp, fighting for space.

Everything Ice-man Bergkamp says I agree with. A compelling argument. Beckham to me, is one of those nearly, but not quite great players, spoilt by the riches of the game, being feted off the field as well as on, and not a great role model for youngsters. We wanted a captain to "lead", a roll-your-sleeves-up fight till I die, hard working, lead by example organiser. What did we get? Admittedly a dead ball merchant, but also slow (might as well have made his crosses from the halfway line), namby-pamby, motivated only for himself (to sell more DB gear) and to get in every goalscoring picture, girly-voiced, ultimately ineffective captain.

It might be every boy's dream to be England captain (if you're English)but it can also be a bit of a poisoned chalice. "I have lived the dream" is what DB said - sorry, no you haven't David, what did you win as captain, David? - Nothing. I think John Terry is a much better appointment.

Besides, DB is 31 and his legs "went" at 27. Steve McClaren - I salute you for breaking housewives hearts the world over. Well done!

Finally an england team based on quality not on past reputations. I am actaully looking forward to seeing England play for once with a new strike force. Its a breath of fresh air to see the likes of Owen and beckham out of the team for once. These two players aswell as gerrard and lampard were untouchable. Couldnt be dropped no matter what they done. To be fair to lamps and gerrard, they were actually performing at club level. But ffs owen and beckham automatic selection whatever, even if they were not playing well or 100% fit. If SWP and defoe who were competing for their places, were on top form the most they would get is to start on the bench and get maybe 20min run out. I hope beckham and owen never set foot in the england sqaud again. A bunch of overrated golden boys who could do no wrong in certain people's eyes.

Mcclaren has put out a strong message and some new hope of putting england forward instead of relying on old players reputation to pull through some day. He just has to prove he can avoid the negative tactics and put some passion back in englands football.

Beckham is a luxury player that England can't afford to have in the squad as we're not good enough, I wouldn't get too carried away with McClaren yet, and I would be much happier with a man like Martin O'Neil. England went the cheap, easy route and the man they got is going to run England off the back of a fag packet,grunt n shunt style...... But he will have to get someone else to do his shopping list while the games going on...:roll:

Hmm... i'm not happy he's not in the squad and i'm not disapointed either. But i am happy that finally someone's using friendlies in the manner they're meant to be used for, testing out new players/formations. Sven would often pick his best line up for friendlies and bring on substitute after substitute in the second half, so the players never really got into a rythem and you couldn't tell how well they'd fit into the team under normal circumstances. I'm glad Mclarens willing to drop big names, so we can see what smaller names have to offer.

Last edited:
McClaren's a prick. Whether or not Beckham deserves to be in the team is another debate but its pretty clear HE only axed Beckham to make an example out of him.

Alucard says it all for me. Was fed up with slow right wingers who wanted to play centre-midfield (bit like "it's MY ball, and I'll play wherever I want to!" in the school playground) when it was obvious that even though he was slow right-midfield was his best position as he could deliver a hell of a ball. Playing just returned from injury strikers is never a good idea, Michael Owen or not.

So am I glad? Hell yes!

Back
Top Bottom