No Man's Sky

Re: No Man's Sky (PS4)

I have preordered it, it looks amazing.

I think it might get a bit boring after a while, but what they have done is great the fact that 99% of all planets will never be visited in the game is crazy.

I'm pretty sure I'll buy this, probably wait a few days after release to be sure it's not complete garbage fire.

Re: No Man's Sky (PS4)

XBOne too, I believe.

There may be a release for Xbox One, but there is a 1 year console exclusivity for PS4.

Reading online there is apparently only a very slim chance this will be released on Xbox One.

At present the game is due to be release on the 9th August in America and 10th August in Europe.

Last edited:
PC Version has been delayed by a couple of days to August 12th.

"The game’s website has confirmed that the PC version of the space adventure will arrive on August 12th. That’s a couple of days after the European release on August 10th and three days after the August 9th US date.

August 12th was the original UK release date, remember, before it was shifted forward a little to bring it in line with the rest of Europe.

This in itself was a delay, of course. The game had at one point been due out in July prior to confirmation of a slip back in May, which led to death threats for developer Hello Games.

There was at one stage speculation about whether the game would come out on PC at all, following on from Hello’s union with Sony to secure not only its console exclusivity but also to vastly broaden the title’s scope. A virtually simultaneous release on both platforms was confirmed a little over a year ago."

Can't think of any reason apart from PC players would use VPN's to get the game early and play the game in the region they are not from.

Makes sense really so the game on PC has a Worldwide release.

Out tomorrow and no reviews yet? Odd.

Review copies were delivered late. Was meant to be friday but ended up being today. Also there was a patch released today which significantly changed the game / unlocked lots of endings.

Intrigued to see how fun it actually is, for all the amazing ingenuity behind the game.

The reviews I've seen so far (from people, not review sites) are split down the middle - if you head to places like Eurogamer and look at the comments sections, you'll find a few. I've seen two glowing reviews and two stinkers.

It seems like, if you're happy chilling out in a game without actually doing much towards the overall objective - Minecraft style - you'll be happy, but if you want a real structure and variety in what you do, you won't be.

It sounds almost like an anti-game in some respects - but I'm looking forward to it a lot (despite not seeing the point of Minecraft, so, probably a mistake). Roll on midnight tonight...

It's undoubtedly a great achievement, just hope it's fun to play! If I had more time and no munchkin I think I'd fall deep into it.

Spent midnight til 3am on it last night - I was about 85% wowed and intrigued, 15% really fucking aggravated:

I needed zinc but the game wouldn't tell me where it was (even when using the scanner), leading to 30 minutes of entirely non-magical wandering. I get the feeling that, once resources start running low, it'll be less "fun" and more "ballache".

The first hour or so was genuinely really disconcerting in parts:

It's difficult to put it into words, but when you're trying to mine something to fix your ship, and the soundtrack (which is excellent) is making you feel a bit uneasy, and suddenly there's a floating robot, and you don't know if it's friendly or not - and suddenly it starts scanning you, and you're standing perfectly still wondering if this is going to turn into a laser fight - and it does, and you start running, because your weapon absolutely can't compete with it, and as you run over a hill you come across these rabbit-like creatures that are running away too... You genuinely panic, and I felt a long way from the ship (I was, and I died).

Something about it being procedurally-generated really adds to that level of "oh God help", I think. That element of surprise throws you for the first few hours.

When I went exploring and found my first alien life form, that was truly a "wow" moment. Discovering a base, seeing the words "advanced life form detected" on the screen, and walking inside... Loved that. It'll become second-nature now I'm sure, but it was a great moment. As are all of the "journey milestones" as they call them.

Really looking forward to getting back on it tonight but I couldn't guess how long I'll be playing it for - it's definitely not an action game, it's exploration mixed with mining things, with a dash of survival horror, on a lot of acid. After a while of having to find resources, I don't know if it'll get boring, but for now, I'm itching to get home and explore.

Oh, I've not even left my first planet yet - I was so determined to find every secret on it, that I just kept flying around looking for them all from above. In those three hours, I think I've covered about 20% of it, at the very most.

That's one planet. Out of quintillions.

Definitely not a game for a completionist (I will never finish it).

Pretty boring. It's more geared towards survival than towards exploration. Sometimes I just want to be able to explore rather than putting in more resources to survive.

Still on the bench with this one. Tempted to get it because I love sci-fi and scavenging, but I'm a bit concerned about the lack of storyline and the repetition on every planet.

Are there alien cities to explore the closer you get to the center of the universe?

I really like the game, the scale of it is just ridiculous.

Flying off from your first planet into space and then to the next is extremely satisfying.

But I am worried after a couple of weeks the novelty will wear off and it will get tedious doing the same things on each planet.

I hope I am pleasantly suprised and as I build up my ship and start trading etc it will pull me in even more.

I only played 4hours, I think the game can only be properly judged after 30hrs or so of gameplay imo to give it a chance.

I played for another three hours last night... STILL haven't left the first planet. So that's 6-7 hours just buzzing around the planet that the tutorial is begging me to take off from and explore the universe, because I keep finding hidden gems (not literally) and wanting to find more.

Considering that it's procedurally generated, I'm shocked that it's more exciting / has more content than some man-made levels I've played.

I can see the constant resource management getting annoying, and I've had to spend every credit I've got on upgrading slots so I can actually carry a decent amount of stuff, but man, I love it at the minute.

Plus, I've only just discovered that if you use the binoculars, you can put all of the different animals and fauna into an encyclopaedia of sorts. The game tells you nothing!

Oh, speaking of which...

If anyone pre-ordered, DO NOT REDEEM AND USE THE BONUS SHIP YET (I nearly did last night because the constant prompt is annoying me).

It causes a bug where you miss receiving the blueprints for a hyperdrive or something similar that you need to get some ships to fly, and some players are finding that it's impossible to buy one from anywhere else in the universe (though not all).

The game sounds interesting but there is no way i have the time to invest hours on end with work and a one year old :) . However sound like this is crying out for a VR mode

I knew everyone started on a different planet, but I didn't realise how different your experiences can be at the start. I've just found out that other people haven't had the luxury of being able to explore their home planet like I have - the temperature has been too cold or the atmosphere too toxic, and they've had to blast off as soon as they could.

Amazing.

Soooo tempted by this, but just wonder if the 'what's the actual point' will kick in after only a few sessions.

Going to give it another week I think to see if people are still into it.

If the designers were smart, they'd be working hard on actual story/lore for the inner planets folks tend to gravitate towards as the game continues.

I knew everyone started on a different planet, but I didn't realise how different your experiences can be at the start. I've just found out that other people haven't had the luxury of being able to explore their home planet like I have - the temperature has been too cold or the atmosphere too toxic, and they've had to blast off as soon as they could.

Amazing.

My planet isn't too toxic, in that my health and suit only degrade quite slowly. Slowly enough for me to wander a few miles without using the ship each time. I've learnt 7 words so far but I, like you, only realised a few hours into the game that using L2 to view an animal or plant would allow you to discover/name it. I wasted plenty of minerals feeding the fucking animals prior to that! :D

If the designers were smart, they'd be working hard on actual story/lore for the inner planets folks tend to gravitate towards as the game continues.
I'm still on my first planet, but:

I've already seen quite a few stories - I'm talking about old alien wives' tales written on rocks, and religious-style riddles that you have to answer in order for the planet and its inhabitants to judge how you fit in with their culture (with your answer affecting the end of the game, according to the devs).

Far from a "proper" game story, but, I was surprised. I was expecting nothing of the sort - just exploration and racing to the finish line.

My planet isn't too toxic, in that my health and suit only degrade quite slowly. Slowly enough for me to wander a few miles without using the ship each time. I've learnt 7 words so far but I, like you, only realised a few hours into the game that using L2 to view an animal or plant would allow you to discover/name it. I wasted plenty of minerals feeding the fucking animals prior to that! :D
You can feed the animals?!

I wonder if there's a reason behind that...

Your situation sounds very similar to mine. My only wish is that I could reach the waypoints in the ship without wasting so much resources getting in and out of it...

Definitely agree with that - 25% reduction each time you take off!
Are there any alternatives? I'm assuming better ships / systems will reduce the amount (but I bet it's not by much)?

Let me find everything on the planet without making me have to constantly stop and refuel Goddamnit!

Really enjoying this so far, played nearly 20 hours since launch too, great game to chill out with.

Back
Top Bottom