online is not football

One of the best threads here lately. Due to distance we'll always have lag in online games, even if the bandwith is very high, so we'll have to live with that to a certain degree.

About people just pushing for goals and playing only top teams only online, I really recommend joining a ladder, such as my own (http://www.evo-league.com) or the PESLadder (http://www.pesladder.com - mainly UK players).

Playing there you'll get games against people who will usually chose a team of similar strength to yours, you see what country they are from, and you don't have to fear they'll lag you out or use the pause bug to go up in the Konami rankings. Check it out, maybe it's your cup of tea.

both pc need 2 be faster plug ur broadband up 2 ethernet usb is slower turn off all msn and all other guff also play in 640 window on low detail all this stuff helps u lag less

i found all def 2nd half is best way 2 go :P

yes also play uk to uk only french r cheater and they lag bocs ther far way this is why wen keep cing them on our server it makes me mad cos it does lag wen i play others in euproe soz lads but u need 2 get in ur own server

You say playing vs CPU is boring. Fine. How about this: how boring is it to play against the same 3-4 teams again and again and again, when the opponent always does this: play "Pressure" tactic - so you have to get rid of the ball as soon as you get it, because there's a sliding tackle coming in a blink of an eye. When he gets the ball, goes wide, then cuts back into the penalty area, goes to byline, squares the ball into the middle for simple tap-in. 99.9% of the goals i conceed are these types of goals. Yes, i can defend against this, when the lag permits me, but more often than not, it's impossible, because there's just that bit of delay. So, the opponent takes full advantage of that and keeps doing what he's doing. Again, as i said earlier, it's not necessarily a question of winning or losing, but having an enjoyable game. I enjoyed maybe 4-5 games out of 70+ that i played. I say CPU plays with MUCH MORE variety than what i've seen from the human players.

Boy am I so glad I don´t play against these random superteampicker-players anymore... I play in a big tourney where you see so many different styles of play (which makes the CPU AI 10 times more boring in comparison), and we have excluded the superteams. It´s such a big joy playing online against the REAL opponents. Its very very rare I´m experiencing lag online, again - play against the right players (from your own country, and with good connections). I really suggest that all serious onlineplayers arrange some onlinetourney´s and from now on drop those randommatches against superteams. Not surprising at all that you find ´em so boring!

Last edited:
i think we have the same ideas about defending Toa, more about cutting down the options to a player as opposed to winning the ball outright, thats knowing when to press and when to cut off the passing lines.

Thing is i've been playing offline lately and definately see an improvement in my players reactions over the online matches.

One thing that was glaringly obvious was the interception of passes, now online, even when i've anticipated the pass, i'm stood in the passing line while another player is pressing, still many times the ball is trickling through to the intended player. Offline this wasn't happening, instead my defenders were latching onto wayward passes or reading the pass brilliantly ready to burst out and counter.

Tackling, from the old days of PS1 Iss Pro Evolution games were friends of mine were making super dribblers that skipped through players at will, well i had to take a step back and see how tackling really works in PES, sometimes you press with X, sometimes without, you get to judge it by the animation, and i can only describe it as getting the 'feel' for tackling, online this 'feel' isn't quite the same...
Offline, if the ball was there to be won by the defender, it was...Online, even half a second of poor reaction had my player missing the opportunity and having an attacker gain the advantage, they weren't in the wrong place to win the ball in a tackle, it's more they just animated late or wrong, perhaps going for where the ball was that split second before as opposed to where it actually was in play.

Lag, even if its not visible is still there and it does alter the game a touch, it can mean that tackle is animated late, that defender steps in the wrong direction for a second after a player change, as the last command before pressing L1 is registered, and other things.

ToaTheBoa, Hectic Glenn, Bailzebub, and everybody else who responded with constructive feedback - thanks, guys. Much appreciated. Perhaps i'll give it another go next week or so...

I'm in US, and i don't know if there are any groups formed by players from that side of the world. Would've joined a group of UK players, but i'd imagine that wouldn't be very enjoyable for anybody because of lag...

Juce, I got eaten up with that same goal online over and over for the first week. Then I figured out how to stop it, and I've hardly conceded one like it since. The great thing is that many of those players don't seem to know any other way of scoring, so if you can stop them, they quickly get frustrated :).

If it's worth anything, I totally agree with you. The Lag part is annoying, but I think more often than not it's not that severe.

The big problem is situated approximately 40 centimeters from your opponents screen. Will people never learn that R1-running is a trick you pull in certain situations similar to the roulette or a stepover? And that it is only really effective if you slow down first? KONAMI tries to teach us by making almost every move impossible to do while running and by implementing a steadily rising number of moves to do "from a stationary position" as well as making R2-running now = slowing down, several options to stop the ball, shield it, tap it away to improve accuracy a.s.o.

Those people, holding R1 for 90 minutes when in possession, and holding R1 + X + circle + the occasional flying tekken-style sliding tackle when not in possession are not playing football simulation. They play an arcade game and ruin the fun for the rest of us. The worst thing is that it still works. And as for their attack on the side to the X-pass to a free attacker = goal they don't trick you - they have learned to trick the AI-guys in your central defence that you are not controlling. Annoying. Press the circle and make a flying header, damnit. Score a good goal. It's loads of fun.

You can see the enormous gap in their defence that thye left while pressing your winger with 3 defenders, but he managed to slaughter you before you had a chance to pass it there. It's just so much more fun to shield the passing options, stay put in defence, wait, tackle at the right time. And to accept that the other guy is allowed to have the ball once in a while. try it, people!

My point is: don't hate the game, Juce. It's the best sim out there to produce a fantastic footballing simulation experience. But as long as people use it the wrong way, you will meet that kind of opposition. The only thing to do is to avoid those players. Add the good ones to your friend list and keep playing them. You only need one good guy with a decent upload to have fun with the game again. Good luck!

They play an arcade game and ruin the fun for the rest of us.

They might ruin it for you, but not for me. There are just different styles of play. Personally I find it annoying when people play a ridiculously slow game, passing from defender to defender at the back for 15 game minutes before moving forward. It's boring and frustrating, but, you know, each to his own.

Those people, holding R1 for 90 minutes when in possession, and holding R1 + X + circle + the occasional flying tekken-style sliding tackle when not in possession are not playing football simulation. They play an arcade game and ruin the fun for the rest of us. The worst thing is that it still works.
That pretty much sums up the main problem with this year's version. It's just sad to see all the possibilities and improvements (eg. proper long balls) that have made it into PES6 detroyed by an overall flawed game balance.

However, as already was the case in previous years, the game is just miles better when playing mediocre teams and against players who don't just use the game's flaws over and over just for the sake of winning. I'm still disappointed that you're not forced to play smart to win in PES6, but when you have an opponent with a similar creed you can have great battles nonetheless.

iv played footballgames since i could hold a joy pad and loved it last game was pro 5 on the p/s but then bought it on pc and pro 6 . 4 the online WELL i havent missed fuckall pro online is shit sad really

iv played footballgames since i could hold a joy pad and loved it last game was pro 5 on the p/s but then bought it on pc and pro 6 . 4 the online WELL i havent missed fuckall pro online is shit sad really bring back atari 2600 BLUEBIRDS

Its as easy as this: you're just frustrated because you can't play good football, and then blame the game instead of yourself. Its just bad excuses.

If you can't play well against players who are better than you, do NOT blame the game. I have had lots of matches where I've had to defend for 90 minutes, and never had time to build up a good attack. It's my own fault. Sometimes I just need to calm down. It's not the games fault that the opponent is very good at putting pressure to the ball. This happens when it's easy to read your game. Thats why, in real football and in PES6, good players seems to have much better time than less good players. Play better, and your players will have better time. Then you will have more time to get a good pass, and then you start to play nice football.

Stop crying. I have had LOTS of excellent matches online, with lovely play from both teams, stunning goals, and so on.
Agree with this bloke, sure u gotta watch the guys that get into the box and to the touchline and cut the ball back but u just gotta learn to stop 'em doing it.....
I have an avergae of nearly 2 goals a game and most of mine are not from that way......
Online is quite good IMO and I have close to 400 games under my belt.

Back
Top Bottom