OT - No PS3 in Europe until March 2007 - Official

Status
Not open for further replies.

astirling

League 2
27 April 2002
Dunfermline
Dunfermline Athletic
"Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has announced that the release date for PlayStation 3 in PAL territories has been pushed back until March 2007.

In an official statement, Sony said the decision to revise the launch date was taken following "the delay in the mass production schedule of the blue laser diode within the Sony Group, thus affecting the timely procurement of key components to be utilised in PlayStation 3."

Gamers in Europe, Russia, the Middle East, Africa and Australasia will now have to wait until March to get their hands on a PS3. However, the console is still on track to launch in Japan on November 11 and in North America on November 17. Sony still plans to ship 6 million PS3 units globally before the end of the 2007 fiscal year.

Blue laser diodes are a key component of the PS3's Blu-Ray drive. Rumours of a shortage began to emerge just days ago, with reports suggesting that Sony had suspended shipment of the diodes to customers making standalone Blu-Ray players - but it would seem that wasn't enough to ensure there would be enough consoles to go round in November.

Sony's plans for a global launch in November were first announced by Ken Kutaragi back in March. The announcement came as a surprise to many industry observers who had predicted a staggered release schedule and a 2007 launch date for Europe - but at E3, SCEA president Kaz Hirai confirmed November release dates for all three territories.

News of the delay will no doubt please executives at Microsoft, which managed to pull off a global launch of the Xbox 360 last year. There were problems with hardware shortages but last month, Microsoft Europe boss Chris Lewis pledged that there will be no shortfall this Christmas - and with only the Nintendo Wii to compete against, MS could be set to clean up

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4268&NewsAreaID=2

Last edited:
Ha ha,I'm not surprised,assholes.

Sony have been fucking up for years now,thats why I jumped ship.

Feel sorry for the diehards though,another slap in the face for loyal customers.

Buy a 360 guys,imo,anyone who waits and waits,is just rolling over and being tickled by the sony corporations feather duster.

Sony 1 (ps2) Microsoft 0 (xbox)
Sony 0 (ps3) Microsoft 1 (xbox360)

That about equals things,this could get interesting...

jambotommy said:
Ha ha,I'm not surprised,assholes.

Sony have been fucking up for years now,thats why I jumped ship.

Feel sorry for the diehards though,another slap in the face for loyal customers.

Buy a 360 guys,imo,anyone who waits and waits,is just rolling over and being tickled by the sony corporations feather duster.

Sony 1 (ps2) Microsoft 0 (xbox)
Sony 0 (ps3) Microsoft 1 (xbox360)

That about equals things,this could get interesting...

Yep, I guess this will go to extra time.
By the time PS3 hardware starts making a difference, Micro$oft will score the golden goal with the release of Xbox 720 (or whatever that name would be).
Game over

I'm glad it's been delayed here in Europe as now i will be able to afford the best of the second generation of 360 games this fall such as Forza 2 without having to spash out on another console. Anyone that is a serious gamer probs already has the 360 so will be in the same boat, At least getting the PS3 in March will be a more viable option fo me as there won't be the same level of quality 360 games competing like that around crimbo time, so for me it's perfect obviously each to there own...

What has this got to do with PES on the Xbox 360? Please post info like this in the Sony PlayStation 3 thread...

DJ

Microsoft will certainly have a field day after hearing this...
But i doubt the next-gen console isdecided now...i think a war is decided by the games line-up and not by the hardware....but yes this is makes it a handicap race.
Personally i think i'm not biased. Currently i've only the PS2 and i'm waiting to decide which next-gen console i will buy...I'm the first to admit that i'm not a "real" or a "hard-core" gamer...i only play 3 or 4 games...i've never played online...but can somebody please explain me with rational arguments why "real" gamers should buy an XBOX 36O??? I'm open to all arguments.
I ask this for two reasons.

1 i'm searching "guidance" to know which console i will buy (i'm for 90% a PES Player).
2 it irritates me a litle bit that a people who say such thing (no matter about which console) always turn out to be people with signatures like XBox 360 rules or PS3 is the best...so i wanna know if they have real arguments or are merely victimes of PR and publicity...(or in other words headless chickens).

Thanks in advance...

Well that's a silly argument. Maybe it's just in retaliation to PS2 being such a brand name. The playstation consoles have always been backed by aggressive marketing which essentially made them 'cool' to own. Maybe people are saying that because they're encouraging you to look past all that. I dunno.

Anyway....I bought a 360 at Launch and don't regret it at all. The games argument is very valid but the PS3 exclusives are far fewer in number than they were before. Still...Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy are all very good reasons to own a PS3. For me though, Forza, Gears Of War, Oblivion and Halo are all compelling reasons to own a 360. And X-box Live is outstanding.
Machine capabilites are apparently very close. Cell is more powerful that the 360's processor but the graphics hardware inside the 360 is more powerful. Most developers reckon they're neck and neck and almost all cross platform games will look pretty much the same.

As for PES. It's coming to both consoles and Playstation is no longer the 'development console'. Seabass said in a recent interview that the PC was now the lead platform for 'next-gen' and the console versions would be treated equally and developed from that.

gerd said:
But i doubt the next-gen console isdecided now...i think a war is decided by the games line-up and not by the hardware....but yes this is makes it a handicap race.
Personally i think i'm not biased. Currently i've only the PS2 and i'm waiting to decide which next-gen console i will buy...I'm the first to admit that i'm not a "real" or a "hard-core" gamer...i only play 3 or 4 games...i've never played online...but can somebody please explain me with rational arguments why "real" gamers should buy an XBOX 36O??? I'm open to all arguments.

1 i'm searching "guidance" to know which console i will buy (i'm for 90% a PES Player).
2 it irritates me a litle bit that a people who say such thing (no matter about which console) always turn out to be people with signatures like XBox 360 rules or PS3 is the best...so i wanna know if they have real arguments or are merely victimes of PR and publicity...(or in other words headless chickens).

Thanks in advance...

I've been a Sony fan since 1995.
I bought my Xbox 360 two months ago, in my opinion not long enough to consider myself a Microsoft fan already. However, I definitely reckon they're on the right track.
My advise? Buy a 360.

Last edited:
gerd said:

Thanks in advance...

True, games is what makes a console succesfull or not. But dont forget pricepoint, Sony want u to pay about 200Euro more for their console, but they havent convinced me yet that the ps3 is significantly better than the the xbox360.

Im in the same boat as you, i still own a ps2 (and had ps1 before) And PES is by far the game i play the most, followed by GTA i think. At first i thought i would just get a ps3 when it would come out, but now that PES and GTA are on both consoles, and the 360 is much cheaper, im definately considering getting a 360 instead. Now i wont buy either untill the first real nextgen PES is out (so not pes6 on 360) So Sony still have to time to show their product warrants the higher price, and if PES is better on it, i might still get it, but at the moment the 360 would be my choice.

Hmmm...
I've got the feeling this thread will be close sooner rather than later.
We went from no European PS3 launch, through Forza 2, then PES and finally falling into the endless console war.

Another bad news: for the launch in both US and Japan, only 500.000 consoles will be available, 400.000 for the US and only 100.000 for Japan!

source:
HERALD TRIBUNE BUSINESS

So, this gives a clear advantage to the 360 AND the upcoming Nintendo Wii for at least four months.
Sony should stop writing checks they can't pay.

I laughed when I heard this news. Sony have done their best to make people buy a 360 already so far but this too much. They may as well not bother releasing it in Europe if they give Microsoft a 2 christmas head-start.

:applause: Not suprised in the slightest after hearing all about Sony's production numbers or lack of..!:applause:

This is gonna enrage a lot of Sony fanboys I think, who are still gonna jump on the defensive and spam up a load of threads.

It Just further justifies my purchase of a 360 last week, think I timed it pretty well. Still can't see it having a major effect on PS3 sales in Europe however, will give people more time to save up the €600 that is currently required. It could actually work to our advantage, as the price may drop slightly on its release over here, well thats what I'm hoping.;)

I think Microsoft will drop the price of the 360 either at Christmas, or around February, so they can maximise sales before the PS3 comes out, and probably divert a few prospective PS3 owners. Ah well, at least I might not have to pay for all of my PS3 now.

ripkord said:
I'm actually glad, cos I cant afford it that close to christmas anyway :)
So basically you werent gonna buy it anyway but you're now glad that others cant enjoy it either?

Kin'ell not again, I hope by march they sought out all the problems. at least I can use my PS3 money for something else now

im getting a 360 anyway and like someone else said microsoft will probably have another years advantage against sony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom