Patch and Of suggestion

kdjac

League 2
3 May 2004
Ireland
Would it possible for the admins to create some sort of rating system or php page with only the downloads and the Readmes on the page with a link to the forum and file.

The forums with patches are very hard to see whats good and bad as you sually have to read 300 posts or so whereas a simple page displaying only the downloads and its rating would be handier.

kdjac

Yeah, as Zyg said, we rely on the topic creators (edit producers usually) to update the first post in their own thread. It usually works quite well but if it aint being done by some then we might have to make it a bit clearer that thats what's expected.

If no one else does it before me, then I'll check it out properly when I have the time.

So is there gonna be a kind of like a rating system to see if the OF or Patch is good for people who is deciding which one to download? Just wondering.

Doubt it to be honest, but it may be looked into if its feasibility could be agreed.

As funny as it sounds, the patching/OF business can cause a shit load of agro, it would be lovely if everyone could just get along but as is the nature of people it aint gonna happen.

Basically any rating system could be abused so easily for jealous/maliscous reasoning isn't worth having in the first place. I've always found that experimentation is the best way of figuring out which persons work you like best anyway, then stick to them for updates etc...

Hahah yeah in theory I like your idea kdjac and Stringer but to be honest I was thinking of same thing as Dar when I heard about it also.

Fact is these days I've seen too much childish shit for my own liking in past little while here to have any hope of such thing actually NOT being misused and having a lot of proper functionality.

What you'll probably get is people beefing again but this time using the rating stuff to either show their jealousy that way or get their friends to keep giving them good ratings and the guy they have beef with 0/10 or whatever hahah either way I'm afraid it just won't work and will probably misused! :roll:

But sure it'd be nice if we didn't have any of that stuff and this in theory was great and would've worked in THAT scenario/situation

I understand the childishness with ratings but with some simple PHP code you can count the amount of clicks to a direct download or whatever link the creator provides so even if it has 746278426948 negatives you can at least see that 3 people downloaded and 2 thought it was average and the other "hated it cos the dood wu madez it scuked at fifa".

Then by counting the clicks it instantly gives you an idea of how many people have tried it. Most of the threads are updated but to get the goods on the updated part its usually 15 pages onwards after 14 pages of people complaing about a certain jersey being off colour.

Just an idea :)

kdjac

Stringer Bell said:
Or you can allow the rating system to be clicked once per user...or something like that.

Well thats the way any decent rating systems work, it would be a given.

It still doesn't stop tampering with the ratings.

Who's starting these beef's?

People are making patch/option file's for free so i don't get the idea of people wanting their stuff to be more popular than other peoples since nobody's getting any $$$$$ for it!

Stringer Bell said:

People are making patch/option file's for free so i don't get the idea of people wanting their stuff to be more popular than other peoples since nobody's getting any $$$$$ for it!
If only it was that simple. I agree completely.

We can look at making downloads more accessible but it's going to require a bit of time to do so.

http://www.fpsadmin.com/download/index.php?dlid=254

Here is something similiar to what i suggested, as you can see this is a fugly page. But it has an Admin Rating, user rating, and file rating. Descritpion and comments easily laid out another field for screenshots can be added (on the users webspace)
Comments dont need to be there but could be linked to the forum. The file can be linked to wherever the maker has it uploaded too.

The Maker logins into the file menu creates a post fills in all req fields and it appears in a Q for the admins to ok. Then it appears in the download section. If an Admin has tried thne he rates it if not it stays N/a.

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell

The fugly page above is from a game i used to play with tonnes of mods available, people make them simply because they can. If they place them into the public domain then they are looking for comments be it helpful or not about their work. They are doing it for free but they are doing it because they can and are interested so if something is rated badly they either redo or fix it.

For instance the 1st Desert Combat was roasted for being buggy and shit and look what happened there same for Counter Strike. Superpatch 1 didnt work so they did 1.1 and probably 2.0 had they not being giving feedback they wouldnt have fixed the problems.

Still just an idea but i can get the php for that page above if needed, then its just a matter of tweaking it suit evo web. :)

kdjac

Back
Top Bottom