[PC/Consoles] Dragon Age: Inquisition

I tried reading the eurogamer review but they just made it sound shite so I gave up. The actual review was just so dull to read though so it no doubt magnified how bad the game sounds.

I saw a video angry joe put up and it didn't blow me away. The original teaser made this game look (graphically) amazing and pretty open world. But the video joe has up looks rough with poor textures and the environments looking like nothing that couldn't be done on last gen.
Unless he was playing on last gen?

Joe just showed the prologue, which, to be expected really, is very directed/linear. DAI is more open world than the previous 2 games. You even have horses etc. ride.

I was a big fan of Dragon Age Origins. I stopped playing Dragon Age 2 after Act 1 but recently forced myself through it for the sake of Inquisition, which llooks more in line with Origins. Hopefully it's a return to form, I don#t put much stock in reviews

Argh, been waiting forever for DA3 but now I have to go out of town for a couple weeks! When I get back though, I expect to lose a couple weeks of my life to this.

Got this downloaded but I'll need to read the Kotaku guide as I've not played the previous games so I'll miss references otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daenerys Targaryen

Daenerys-Targaryen-Dragon-Age-Inqusition-01.jpg

This game seems great, but the damn thing keeps crashing for me. I'm in good company - hundreds of people are having the same and posting at both EA and Nvidia - really frustrating.

As bad as Konami have handled PES2015, at least it works. I can play for minutes or maybe an hour before DA:I crashes. No clear fix yet either. :(

I don't! Only play DA once or twice a week but the game is great. Probably won't finish it until next xmas :P

Is this as good as Skyrim?

I downloaded it using EA Early Access so played the opening segment but in the 6 hours I had to play it, I only spent around an hour on it. I found the combat awful compared to Skyrim. I should really have played it longer, as most of my mates have said how good it is. I absolutely loved Skyrim, too.

I love RPG's of this ilk, used ot love Baldurs Gate etc, I liked Skyrim, Fallout (my favourite) etc.

We all are waiting for the Witcher 3, but given the almost 3 month window we have now of nothing good newly released to play, I am enjoying it immensely.

You can spend hours on it, or dip in to complete a quest or two, and it is all very pleasing. Wouldn't say its a masterpiece but a really good game well worth playing if you like the genre.

Is this as good as Skyrim?

I downloaded it using EA Early Access so played the opening segment but in the 6 hours I had to play it, I only spent around an hour on it. I found the combat awful compared to Skyrim. I should really have played it longer, as most of my mates have said how good it is. I absolutely loved Skyrim, too.

I actually stopped playing Skyrim because I found its combat so poor. There's a reason why devs stopped making first person melee games years ago... except for Bethesda. What on earth did you enjoy about Skyrim's combat?

Anyways, just finished my first playthrough of Inquisition. It's a massive, massive, massive game, with some wonderful things about it but it certainly has its flaws too.

And it's a very different sort of RPG from Skyrim, so comparing the two is difficult. Personally I'd say it's better, not just because of the combat (which is much better once you play a bit and begin gaining more skills) but because Skyrim's story was rather poor and the consequences of so much of its open-world gameplay were largely irrelevant. In a purely sandbox style of game though, Skyrim is probably better, and I personally enjoy the Elder Scrolls universe more than DA.

Depending upon where you lie in terms of certain preferences, and depending upon how critical you are, I'd say Inquisition is somewhere between very good to great (some key flaws keep it from being great for me), and a definite must play for RPG fans. The worst thing about it: just be prepared for it to take over your life.

This has great visuals IMO but the combat is terrible, using the guy with bow and arrow and you just hold down a fire button, no aim, no skill, garbage, will stick with Skyrim/Witcher.

This has great visuals IMO but the combat is terrible, using the guy with bow and arrow and you just hold down a fire button, no aim, no skill, garbage, will stick with Skyrim/Witcher.

The combat is flawed, for sure, but you're not going to get very far in the game just holding down one button. Mixing up the different archer skills so that you're decimating foes with massive DPS can be a lot of fun, however, especially when mixed with either the Tempest or Assassin specialization.

I have no idea how you can consider Skyrim to have better combat - its combat systems are at least a decade outdated - but I'll agree, can't wait for Witcher.

Last edited:
I want to feel that I'm in charge of what my character is doing, swing with varied attacks when I choose them, block/evade when I choose, aim ranged weapons and kill foes from distance due to skill I've learned myself etc. etc.

I want to feel that I'm in charge of what my character is doing, swing with varied attacks when I choose them, block/evade when I choose, aim ranged weapons and kill foes from distance due to skill I've learned myself etc. etc.

I feel you. I enjoy, even prefer, those types of games too (and it's why I'm enjoying Far Cry on Hard difficulty with the aim assists off playing with a bow).

But of those things you mention, it's only the aiming you can't do in Inquisition, and that only comes into play as an archer, which is only 1 of 5 classes.

Trust me, I get that combat in Inquisition is flawed - it's a neither nor mix of turn based tactical combat and actiony adventure button mashing, and the companion AI can be horrible; meanwhile, after you reach level 10 or so, you gotta up the difficulty to nightmare for any type of challenge.

But it sounds like you're being critical of it just because it doesn't fit your specific archery preferences, rather than judging it for what it's trying to be.

The combat is a bit rubbish, especially as a mage. But that's more than balanced out by the rest of the game which is pretty amazing.

But it sounds like you're being critical of it just because it doesn't fit your specific archery preferences, rather than judging it for what it's trying to be.

Oh absolutely, I'm being critical because I don't like the combat and archery, if the combat was like Skyrim/Witcher 2 I'd love the game.

Fair enough, though if you're after a more Witcher style play, just play as dagger rogue, which has plenty of evading and parrying if you want.

But yeah, I won't defend the game on the grounds of its combat.

Right. Started this last night. I'm enjoying it, just been wandering through Haven so not that far in at all. However, I'm a bit f*cking baffled. I've never played a Dragon Age game before, so spent a good 30 minutes or so creating my character. I chose to be a human and took a while deciding which class to be. I usually go for Warrior (like me), but decided I'd be a Mage in this one, as part way through I believe you get the chance to be a Knight-Enchanter which is a bit of both I think. Anyway, created a white haired, white beared, white eyed God-like guy and started off. All good. Then I have a team of 4 people and I'm finding items and unlocking points and crafting sh*t and I'm getting confused. I can control ANY of the folk in my party when I'm in battle, so I can't just upgrade my stuff, I have to consider them too. So if I can do that, why have I just spent so f*cking long creating my character when I can sack him off (that was sack) and control one of the other guys instead?

Like I say, I've only played for an hour and a half, and it seems very good, but I think I need to read up on this and watch a few videos to get me more up to speed with how everything works - especially upgrading and crafting stuff as I don't really understand how the crafting items are allocated. Plus the whole "attribute points" trees, of which I have four as the Mage. So I unlocked two from the Fire tree so I now have 2 magic spells assigned to the X and B buttons. But like I say I can also upgrade my 3 party members. How f*cking long is this going to take to do all that?! Add to that the fact I can mix and match team members further on in the game, will I get enough ability points to actually do what I want to do? Should I focus on my own character first or upgrade others? That guy with the Crossbow seems ok, but he's called it Bianca. I was told to upgrade that first off because it's the only long ranged weapon he'll use in the game. Why's that my problem? I'm a mage.

etc.

Yeah, Inquisition can feel very overwhelming. I actually spent way too much time online reading/researching stuff in my first playthrough, and if I could do it all over again, the one piece of advice I'd give myself is to just play the game, stay away from online sources, and just figure it out as you go.

It's overwhelming, there's quite a lot to figure out, many choices to make, but ultimately, it's a very easy game, especially once you get to level 10+, that it's really not worth the effort trying to always figure out whether you're doing things "right" or "best." Just play it and it'll all come together, I promise.

In regards to your main character and your companions, yes, you can control anyone you want during combat without consequences. Your main character is only important for the story elements, cutscenes, romances, role playing, and decision making elements. I, for example, rolled a mage, went with knight-enchanter, but by the end of the game I was almost always switching to play as Iron Bull because he tears shit up (literally). Some people play only as their main, others switch it around. Just do what you feel like, and experiment.

Don't worry about ability points - everyone will have plenty. If you can't feel bothered to stay on top of upgrading your party, just play on Hard or Normal difficulty - it's only on Nightmare that you need to maximize your gear. But yeah, if you want to use Varric in your party, you need to be on the look out for upgrading Bianca whenever you can.

Seriously though, just play the game and you'll figure it all out. You can't really go wrong. If I had one major complaint, it's that Inquisition is way too easy, and it's near impossible to not become over-levelled. It is a massive, massive time-sink though.

Back
Top Bottom