PC Gaming

Nothing - PC won't ever have it's own next gen sports games.
I doubt there is much market for making a PC only sports game to apply to 10% of the PC market, with probably only about 10% of that who play sports games on a PC (without racing sims).
no i didnt meant pc exclusive sports games. I just meant sports games that are ps5 ports and not ps4 ports.

Yes, if I was building my PC right now, I would buy AMD.

I didn't manage to get a 5900X at launch, I was high up the pre-order list, but decided against it.
I was in the place, I want to upgrade my PC but my i9-9900K is still a top CPU.

I will most likely wait now another year / 18 months before upgrading.
DDR5 seems to pretty much round the corner, so I will probably wait now for that.

Hello everyone, today is the launch with the new RTX3060.

So my question is. Which one would be better for 1440p and 4k with 30 - 60 fps, the new RTX 3060 with 12 GB Vram or the RTX 3060 ti? (not for
cyberdump 2077)

But yea, all sold out I think... let me just dreaming...:ROLL:

...good old times... :LOVE:

I used to play Grand Prix 4 all the way up to about 2015, but not played it for a while.
The game is absolute light years ahead of the Simcade shite Codemasters put out year after year.

I admit, I do play the Codemasters games but the AI is so broken in them and even after about 10 releases it still has the same fundamental issues, which clearly means the engine is the thing that is broken.
The stupid thing as well, I was actually really glad when EA bought out Condemasters and now have the license, as I believe EA will actually make a better simulation than CodeMasters (Yes the same company who has slowly turned FIFA into a fully automatic street football game).

But back to GP4, I have all the mods on my PC dating from 1986 to 2013.
With the 1991 patch the one I played the most - being a Mansell fan it is similar to 1992, but McLaren were a challenge.
In the editor though, I remembered each driver had about 8/9 different stats based on aggression and other driver habits.
It had everything GP4, and a real shame that now it will never get another version - Although if you load Nvidia settings and force on AA and every other setting it still looks OK..

It really was a classic and easily my favourite driving game of all time.

hey guys,

maybe you could help me out here, as i was too long gone from the PC business! :D

plan: triple screen RacingSim setup
hardare in focus: https://preisvergleich.check24.de/g...-va-panel-144hz-1ms-400cd-m-gb3266qsu-b1.html
https://preisvergleich.check24.de/g...d-2560-x-1440-va-panel-165hz-4ms-400cd-m.html
goal: i am building a small gaming PC just for SimRacing. All i need is a decent gfx card that is not to expensive! and yes, i know about the current situation (but i have hope in good folk selling a used card for a fair price just for the sake of not beeing "greedy")...! ;)

A Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB RAM, Tomahawk Max II, Crucial P2, Cooler Master Fan, Cooler Master 700W PS and a BeQuiet Case are at home already, waiting to be installed! The goal is to snatch a GTX 1060 (around 6GB) somewhere and play in FHD for now.

When i do invest in a triple setup i want them to be future proof so i choose 2 QHD models. 32 inch seems to be the sweetspot for SimRacing.

Any probs when playing FHD games on those QHD screens!?

Any recommandations and tipps are much appreciated!
🙏

Last edited:
Snap decision to order as there was only 1 left in stock, https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B07FTJY8VT/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 can still cancel though if I find better...

Did a bit more shopping around, cancelled that one and went with this one for around the same price:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B08C7T1TGL/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Samsung Odyssey C32G53T 32 Inch 1000R Curved Gaming Monitor with 2560 x 1440p Resolution, 144Hz Refresh Rate, 1ms Response Time, HDR10

Did a bit more shopping around, cancelled that one and went with this one for around the same price:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B08C7T1TGL/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Samsung Odyssey C32G53T 32 Inch 1000R Curved Gaming Monitor with 2560 x 1440p Resolution, 144Hz Refresh Rate, 1ms Response Time, HDR10

How about a 21:9 at 2560X1080p monitor? It will show you more enemies in The Division 2 on which you have been hooked recently.(Whenever I log in the Uplay you always are playing it supposedly with your Mrs.😉)
I won't ever go back to 16:9 monitor, BTW.

TBH I don't think a widescreen monitor would really be right for me and I don't think it'd be around the 300EUR pricepoint either, watched a few reviews of the Samsung after I ordered it (yeah I know better to watch before ordering!) and seems like a good option for what I need. Yep lots of Division2, lol not played it with my wife for a long time, do I have some old status set or something? ;)

TBH I don't think a widescreen monitor would really be right for me and I don't think it'd be around the 300EUR pricepoint either, watched a few reviews of the Samsung after I ordered it (yeah I know better to watch before ordering!) and seems like a good option for what I need. Yep lots of Division2, lol not played it with my wife for a long time, do I have some old status set or something? ;)

I tested the Samsung monitor last year, but think it was the G7 model of that one with 240Hz.
The curve took a little bit to get used to out the box, but was actually very nice and I really liked the curve.

I can't remember if it was this monitor though, but out the box the settings are pretty rubbish, however once you use calibrated settings from websites the monitor was incredibly good.

I only changed it as the monitor I really wanted the LG 4K 144Hz 950 came into stock and managed to get one - However £750 for a monitor is very overkill.

I thought as if you have played it up to now. Honestly I haven't entered the Uplay for around a month. But one or two month ago when I used to be into the Ghost Recon Breakpoint, there used to pop up a message said you were in Division2, right?
Anyway I'm glad you chose the Samsung for which I work.(Don't cancel this time😉)

Last edited:
I tested the Samsung monitor last year, but think it was the G7 model of that one with 240Hz.
The curve took a little bit to get used to out the box, but was actually very nice and I really liked the curve.

I can't remember if it was this monitor though, but out the box the settings are pretty rubbish, however once you use calibrated settings from websites the monitor was incredibly good.

I only changed it as the monitor I really wanted the LG 4K 144Hz 950 came into stock and managed to get one - However £750 for a monitor is very overkill.

Yeah the G7 is a much higher spec, 4k I think, 2k seems a good balance for me I don't have the hardware for 4k in most games so I think the lower resolution but higher refresh rate is a good balance, replaces my 1080p 60fps Hannspree Hanns.G HL 326 HPB 32" monitor which is more of a tv/monitor hybrid and I've been having some eye issues lately so figure a better/proper monitor would help there too :)

I thought as if you have played it up to now. Honestly I haven't entered the Uplay for around a month. But one or two month ago when I used to be into the Ghost Recon Breakpoint, there used to pop up a message said you were in Division2, right?
Anyway I'm glad you chose the Samsung for which I work.(Don't cancel this time😉)

Yeah when I'm playing these days it's always Division 2!

Yeah the G7 is a much higher spec, 4k I think, 2k seems a good balance for me I don't have the hardware for 4k in most games so I think the lower resolution but higher refresh rate is a good balance, replaces my 1080p 60fps Hannspree Hanns.G HL 326 HPB 32" monitor which is more of a tv/monitor hybrid and I've been having some eye issues lately so figure a better/proper monitor would help there too :)

The G7 is still 1440, but 240Hz which is overkill really for a monitor.
Picture though was very good on it and TBH I loved the 1000R curve.

Yeah the G5 also has the 1000R curve, I don't think I've ever looked at a curved monitor/tv even in a shop so I really don't know what I'll think of it, right now I can't look at any monitor past about 10 minutes until my eyes refuse to focus anymore so guess it can't make things worse at least!

Quick question:
@bsmaff and others…

1TB for 102 Euro is a good offer right?!

https://www.crucial.de/products/ssd/crucial-p5-ssd

wanted to get the P2 but noticed an offer for the P5 wich has faster speeds. its no evo 890 or SN850 but it’s decent, right?!

It doesn't review well, and Toms Hardware actually said the cheaper WD drive performs better.

The Crucial P5’s underwhelming application performance doesn’t help its value proposition. However, pricing, warranty, and endurance ratings are all reasonable. At 1TB and warrantied for up to 600TB of writes within five years, the P5 is well within the mainstream territory, but the company could have done more to compete with Phison based SSDS that are boasting incredible endurance ratings that are triple that of the P5.

While the P5 boasts quad-plane NAND and six Arm cores, the higher 512Gb NAND flash die density resulted in less die interleaving, and thus less performance than the competition at 1TB. The Samsung 970 EVO Plus blows the P5 out of the water with its thirty-two 256Gb NAND dies and penta-core Phoenix controller at 1TB, but the P5 is quite a bit cheaper based on capacity. At $150, Crucial’s 1TB P5 is reasonably priced for the performance it provides and is $40 cheaper than the 970 EVO Plus with similar encryption support, too. However, competition from other manufacturers is still very tough. At roughly $135-$140, we would rather recommend the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro or Gammix S11 Pro for those looking for a responsive gaming experience, although their SLC cache doesn’t recover nearly as fast as the P5’s after heavy write workloads and they lack encryption support.

If you need high-speed sustained write performance for media work, the WD Black SN750 is a very good alternative that can sustain quite a bit of write abuse and is similarly priced, although like the P5, read performance lags a bit at low QDs and during small block requests.

For those looking to pinch pennies, WD’s Blue SN550 may be a rather reasonable alternative that costs $45 less than the P5 and comes without the extremely slow write performance that most entry-level SSDs suffer from once its SLC cache exhausts. Even without the use of DRAM, WD’s Blue SN550 proved itself to be more responsive to application requests than Crucial’s P5. It even delivers faster game load performance and puts the P5 to shame when handling SPECworkstation’s prosumer workloads. While the P5’s design may be more robust than most, the performance results from today’s review speak for themselves.

It doesn't review well, and Toms Hardware actually said the cheaper WD drive performs better.

The Crucial P5’s underwhelming application performance doesn’t help its value proposition. However, pricing, warranty, and endurance ratings are all reasonable. At 1TB and warrantied for up to 600TB of writes within five years, the P5 is well within the mainstream territory, but the company could have done more to compete with Phison based SSDS that are boasting incredible endurance ratings that are triple that of the P5.

While the P5 boasts quad-plane NAND and six Arm cores, the higher 512Gb NAND flash die density resulted in less die interleaving, and thus less performance than the competition at 1TB. The Samsung 970 EVO Plus blows the P5 out of the water with its thirty-two 256Gb NAND dies and penta-core Phoenix controller at 1TB, but the P5 is quite a bit cheaper based on capacity. At $150, Crucial’s 1TB P5 is reasonably priced for the performance it provides and is $40 cheaper than the 970 EVO Plus with similar encryption support, too. However, competition from other manufacturers is still very tough. At roughly $135-$140, we would rather recommend the Adata XPG SX8200 Pro or Gammix S11 Pro for those looking for a responsive gaming experience, although their SLC cache doesn’t recover nearly as fast as the P5’s after heavy write workloads and they lack encryption support.

If you need high-speed sustained write performance for media work, the WD Black SN750 is a very good alternative that can sustain quite a bit of write abuse and is similarly priced, although like the P5, read performance lags a bit at low QDs and during small block requests.

For those looking to pinch pennies, WD’s Blue SN550 may be a rather reasonable alternative that costs $45 less than the P5 and comes without the extremely slow write performance that most entry-level SSDs suffer from once its SLC cache exhausts. Even without the use of DRAM, WD’s Blue SN550 proved itself to be more responsive to application requests than Crucial’s P5. It even delivers faster game load performance and puts the P5 to shame when handling SPECworkstation’s prosumer workloads. While the P5’s design may be more robust than most, the performance results from today’s review speak for themselves.
thansk for the detailed insights of yours!
i had a read on other NVME's reviews and found the models you mentioned... but at a higher price point as the P5. i was first considering getting the P2 for even less money, few weeks ago.
the NVME i want to get is for a gaming PC! not the monster machine you probably own but a decent one. when i think about regular hdd's followed by ssd's and now NVME's... its all numbers and stuff. an ssd is the bare minumum these days, i get it, and 1500-2000mb r/w speeds are decent... i dont need PCI4.0 nvme with up to what not read speeds... :D i will play 2-3 games on this future computer.

so im really not into getting the best of the best... its not needed!!! flight sim 2020 for example should be as playable with a P2 as it is with a WD SN850 or EVO980! same with FH5 and FM7 or FH4. thats all the games i'd need! :D

thansk for the detailed insights of yours!
i had a read on other NVME's reviews and found the models you mentioned... but at a higher price point as the P5. i was first considering getting the P2 for even less money, few weeks ago.
the NVME i want to get is for a gaming PC! not the monster machine you probably own but a decent one. when i think about regular hdd's followed by ssd's and now NVME's... its all numbers and stuff. an ssd is the bare minumum these days, i get it, and 1500-2000mb r/w speeds are decent... i dont need PCI4.0 nvme with up to what not read speeds... :D i will play 2-3 games on this future computer.

so im really not into getting the best of the best... its not needed!!! flight sim 2020 for example should be as playable with a P2 as it is with a WD SN850 or EVO980! same with FH5 and FM7 or FH4. thats all the games i'd need! :D

Yeah TBH, in benchmarks obviously there is a difference in SSD performance.
But if you look at YouTube videos where people run side by side comparisons on game load times, there is normally only a few seconds difference between different types of SSD's.

I really don't think any normal person would ever notice the difference between a cheap one and an expensive one.

Yeah TBH, in benchmarks obviously there is a difference in SSD performance.
But if you look at YouTube videos where people run side by side comparisons on game load times, there is normally only a few seconds difference between different types of SSD's.

I really don't think any normal person would ever notice the difference between a cheap one and an expensive one.
yes, thats what i wanted to hear! :D
not that i coulndt go with any other explanation... but it fits what i've noticed. when watching games reviewed with different ssd's, the fps werent that different. i guess in the near future, when more boards with PCIe 4.0 are at users homes and games catch up (using that new tech), we will see more benefit from those super fast nvme's!

all i would install this year (on a new PC, when its build) is FS2020, ACC, RaceRoom, FH5 (by the end of the year) and maybe AC...
a P2 500Gb (40 euro) should work for a start! 150GB+50+50+80 + 50GB for windows (rough estimate).

yes, thats what i wanted to hear! :D
not that i coulndt go with any other explanation... but it fits what i've noticed. when watching games reviewed with different ssd's, the fps werent that different. i guess in the near future, when more boards with PCIe 4.0 are at users homes and games catch up (using that new tech), we will see more benefit from those super fast nvme's!

all i would install this year (on a new PC, when its build) is FS2020, ACC, RaceRoom, FH5 (by the end of the year) and maybe AC...
a P2 500Gb (40 euro) should work for a start! 150GB+50+50+80 + 50GB for windows (rough estimate).

The first post was just snippets from a review, but I do remember a while ago posting something with SSD load times in another forum (I will try and dig it out), where the results for loading a game was like 35 secs instead of 31.

SSD wouldn't have much to do with frame rate if any, this mainly down to GPU with CPU paying some % too.

I am not sure how long PCIE-4 is going to last in PC's, there is rumours Intel aren't even going to touch it and go straight to PCI 5.0 and AMD are talking similar with their next gen CPU's and motherboard support PCI 5.0 - Obviously they would be backwards compatible.

I am just waiting for Sony to release a patch for the PS5 to actually use the NVMe slot, and hopefully we can put any SSD in there, as I don't even use it as my primary system and it is always out of space.

@bsmaff
Worth it to upgrade PC from a Ryzen 1400 to a intel 11400?
i currently have a prebuilt from around 5 years ago. The only things i could salvage would be gpu Rx570 and storage.
GPu to hold me until a 3060 is available who knows when.
granted I want to build a capable entry desktop as my monitor is 1080p but maybe future proof for 2k gaming.
Right now im looking at parts and it would be around 570U$ for components minus gpu. Not the best time to build a pc but don't know if my components really make a difference
Plus, finally experimenting with building one. My plan was to upgrade mine but didn't know my prebuilt had proprietary everything

@bsmaff
Worth it to upgrade PC from a Ryzen 1400 to a intel 11400?
i currently have a prebuilt from around 5 years ago. The only things i could salvage would be gpu Rx570 and storage.
GPu to hold me until a 3060 is available who knows when.
granted I want to build a capable entry desktop as my monitor is 1080p but maybe future proof for 2k gaming.
Right now im looking at parts and it would be around 570U$ for components minus gpu. Not the best time to build a pc but don't know if my components really make a difference
Plus, finally experimenting with building one. My plan was to upgrade mine but didn't know my prebuilt had proprietary everything

Personally if you can, hold out.

The new AMD chips and new Intel chips are both moving to new sockets.
Just incase in the future, you do want to upgrade your CPU, you will be able to jump a few generations at once without changing your board.

It is the only reason, I decided not to buy the 5900X last year, it would be a pointless upgrade as the socket would be end of life and no upgrade potential.
Also GFX cards are still not freely in stock yet, and scalper prices are still a massive issue.

So I would save what you have now and wait a few months and get a new Ryzen chip and motherboard on release day.

Personally if you can, hold out.

The new AMD chips and new Intel chips are both moving to new sockets.
Just incase in the future, you do want to upgrade your CPU, you will be able to jump a few generations at once without changing your board.

It is the only reason, I decided not to buy the 5900X last year, it would be a pointless upgrade as the socket would be end of life and no upgrade potential.
Also GFX cards are still not freely in stock yet, and scalper prices are still a massive issue.

So I would save what you have now and wait a few months and get a new Ryzen chip and motherboard on release day.
You are set on Ryzen? I was set om AMD but now I see they don't really have a budget line and the difference with intel is not the best bang for buck. Hope it continues if intel shrinks to 10nm
Do they have a '21 release date and will they be in short supply? Fricking scalpers...
Maybe later I might request your assistance with components (PSU, cooler,etc) . Im afraid of touching something and burning the entire build down.
Like you said ill wait and maybe see what black Friday brings

You are set on Ryzen? I was set om AMD but now I see they don't really have a budget line and the difference with intel is not the best bang for buck. Hope it continues if intel shrinks to 10nm
Do they have a '21 release date and will they be in short supply? Fricking scalpers...
Maybe later I might request your assistance with components (PSU, cooler,etc) . Im afraid of touching something and burning the entire build down.
Like you said ill wait and maybe see what black Friday brings

I always read reviews when it comes to CPU and purchase whichever is best at the time.
Which for the past 10+ years has been Intel, but now for the past 2 years AMD has overtaken Intel in the CPU stakes, so there is absolutely no reason now to go with Intel CPU's.

However when it comes to motherboards and GFX cards, I only ever buy ASUS boards and Nvdia cards.
The AMD drivers are just horrible and the software IMO is well behind what Nvidia offer, so I always buy Nvidia.
Motherboards is down to bad experiences with other manufacturers - Owned 3 Gigabyte boards in the past and they have all died.
My last 5/6 boards have all been ASUS, so will never buy anything else.

====

In regards to a new build, no problem.
Just let me know nearer the time when you are looking to purchase and I will help.
You should be able to possibly save some equipment:-
RAM/PSU any storage devices you currently have.
The main expense will be a GFX card, but hopefully in a few months these won't be the gold dust they are now - I think they are currently only being purchased by scalpers and not people who actually genuinely want the cards.
I count myself so lucky that although I waited 2 months for my card to arrive, it is incredible I managed to get a 3080. (I preordered @2.09PM on launch day and got the MSI card I wanted)

Back
Top Bottom