PC Gaming

Lami

Niche Football
28 May 2007
Sydney
Man Utd, Juve
Not sure why we didn't have one before, but better late than never.

Thank you bsmaff for pointing this out.

A dedicated gaming thread to all our PC gaming bros.

Enjoy! :)

That is not how you start a post in a PC thread ;)

I know you should start it by saying something like.

"The only true way to experience next gen"

Play 'ALL GAMES' at minimum 60FPS at 1080.

OR

EXPERIENCE NEXT NEXT GEN BY PLAYING GAMES AT 2560X1440 @ 60FPS.

:LOL:

Does the steam box/console fall under PC gaming? Not sure where to post this tbh since it still is steam.

Steam Machine prototype from iBuyPower revealed, runs at 1080p and 60fps

2389936-screen+shot+2013-11-25+at+7.03.32+pm+%282%29.png

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/st...evealed-runs-at-1080p-and-60fps/1100-6416393/

Last edited:
Can't believe how long I've owned Witcher 2 without playing it, bought the boxed version and converted it for free to the Steam Enhanced Edition version. Finally started playing it last week after completing Arkham Origins and most of Arkham City, beautiful looking game, easily the best looking RPG of its kind, running at 1080p with everything maxed out, couple of basic mods but out of the box the gameplay is great so not really needed any :)

Considering you can install Windows on it if you wanted to, it's basically a PC, isn't it?

Will be interesting to see how it handles heat problems.

Considering you can install Windows on it if you wanted to, it's basically a PC, isn't it?

Will be interesting to see how it handles heat problems.

Pretty sure valve won't be as stupid as console makers and allow their systems to be sent out with poorly designed cooling.
As you only got to laugh at the inside of a PS4 and think how the hell does that even stay remotely cool.

:LOL:

Does the steam box/console fall under PC gaming? Not sure where to post this tbh since it still is steam.

It's a PC in console's clothing so as not to scare off people who think all PC gamers are 25 stone bedroom-dwellers who live at home with their mothers. Plus it runs Steam which is a PC content delivery system.

The Steam box is an interesting project but I have concerns over how Valve can keep costs down and heat under control while delivering performance comparable to a mid/high-end rig. Also question marks exist over the upgrade-ability.

Still, anything that can bring more gamers to the PC scene should be welcomed.

Not sure what to make of that pad. It has the potential to be revolutionary but could turn out to be a gimmick that nobody takes to.

Don't think I could say goodbye to thumbsticks.

Just seems very stupid price, if people are that desperate for a PC steam machine you can build an ITX PC, with a decent size ITX case like the Fractal Design Node which is pretty small but is 37cm long so it fits in all modern day GFX cards.

You could easily build one for £500 with enough power to easily surpass the so called next gen consoles.

What would that translate to in GBP? A direct exchange is around £900, but we all know it doesn't work that way and we normally get stung here in the UK.

£900 for a high spec ITX build isn't that bad really. If it costs £1469 then not so much. In that case it could be built a lot cheaper. But it is three times the cost of a next-gen console in the United States so perhaps it isn't great value after all.

Definitely one for the 'more money than sense' crowd.

What would that translate to in GBP? A direct exchange is around £900, but we all know it doesn't work that way and we normally get stung here in the UK.

£900 for a high spec ITX build isn't that bad really. If it costs £1469 then not so much. In that case it could be built a lot cheaper. But it is three times the cost of a next-gen console in the United States so perhaps it isn't great value after all.

Definitely one for the 'more money than sense' crowd.

I think £900 is abit steep but then I am not sure if people would build an ITX machine.

I am currently building an ITX machine to go next to the TV as my HP ProLiant MicroServer isn't powerful enough to do what I want it to do in the future, and is currently starting to struggle running two DayZ servers.

But anyway the build I am doing is a Fractal Design Node 304 case, 2500k i5, 8GB Ram, 320GB HD with motherboard came in at £280. Also the case I choose can slot in any GPU and the ITX build will run Server 2012 R2(but I get this as member of TechNet) otherwise would just run Windows 7.
But lets say you just run a normal GPU, say a 7850 you can pick one up for around £80-£100 on eBay, so all in all that is a pretty decent system for £400 and can easily set it up to boot direct to The Big Picture + the case looks much better than the PS4 and Xbox One.

You can of course get cheaper cases saving you more money, but you can't deny that IPX cases look pretty sweet.

c3a34d40-2c32-4583-9d28-2d72c98999d4

Last edited:
I have a couple of older HD's lying around so will install it as soon as it is available on one of them, also want to test what all this Game Streaming is all about.

It wont take over Windows but if it allows you to perfectly stream games from a lower spec PC from my main desktop and plays pretty well, the OS could be an absolute winner, but will have to wait and see how it all runs.

Not sure about those. While the US price isn't too bad, I wouldn't fancy an i3 processor in a gaming rig, nor the AMD A6.

Also the GPUs aren't all that great. The R9 270 is pretty much a re-badge of the 7870, which is a near two year old card. It's more powerful than what's in the PS4, but not all that far ahead. The 760 is a decent card but I'd want to pair it with an i5 CPU.

What's clear to me is most of these Steamboxes are aimed at people who aren't bothered about playing on the highest graphical settings. To get the best out of PC games you really need to invest in a more expensive setup. At the $500 price point I think I'd rather stick with the consoles.

Back
Top Bottom