PC Gaming

@bsmaff I need your help mate. My mate is looking to buy a rig that can do 4k gaming. He gave me these specs, but looks a bit pricey. Not sure if it's overkill. I know enough but not as good as you. Specs:

Processors
Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0GHz up to 4.2Ghz LGA 1151 95W BX80662I76700K Desktop Processor Intel® HD Graphics 530

CPU Coolers
Lepa AquaChanger 240 LPWAC240-HF 120mm CPU Liquid Cooling System

Thermal Compound
None

Mainboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII RANGER LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory
Kingston 16GB DDR4 ValueRAM KVR21N15D8/8 DDR4-2133 8GB/1Gx64 CL15 Memory

Video Cards
Asus NVIDIA ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming 8GB GDDR5X DVI/2HDMI/2DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card.

Hard Drives
Samsung SSD MZ-750250BW 750 EVO 250G 2.5 SATA3 AES 256bit FDE Bare Read 540MB/s Write: 520MB/s RR: MAX 97000 IOPS
Seagate 2TB SATA3/SATA 6.0 GB/s 64MB Hard Drive (3.5 inch)

Optical Drives
None

Sound Card
SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC

Tower Case
Corsair 400C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX (not included) Power Supply
Front Fan : Preinstalled 1 x 140mm LED fan.
Rear Fan : Preinstalled 1 x 120mm LED fan

Case Accessories
None

Power Supplies
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 B2 110-B2-0850-V1 850W 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply

Are these good as they are or overkill? Anything needs replaced?

EDIT: It costs around 1700 pounds. (He lives in Jordan)

Last edited:
If he wants to game in 4K then the machine isn't really overkill, but there is ways to save money if needed.

Performance wise there isn't that much difference between the top i5 and the i7, so this could save some money.
Motherboard is def overkill.. Does he really need all the extra features which comes from a top of the range motherboard - I use to buy the ROG motherboards then realised most of the time the ASUS Pro motherboards normally come with the same features just not painted RED/BLACK.
He could also save money on GPU as well by just changing the brand as ASUS are normally expensive but you can get the same Clock Speeds and FANS on a cheaper less known brand..

Does he require water cooling? I know it is really cool to have (no pun intended) but unless he is going to do some serious overclocking there is absolutely no need for it.

I will look into the components more when I get more time later and give you some benchmark ideas and what to change some of the components too to save money - But normally if someone wants an i7 it is too just say I have an i7.

@bsmaff thanks I'll relay this to him. Will look forward to your next post :)

Edit: oh the cooling bit is because he was told it is needed for 4k gaming. I can only think proper 4k will stress out the system and cause too much heat? I honestly don't know but if that's just bs and not really needed then he'll be very happy about it. He was also told he'll have to replace the tube(?) that comes with the water cooling every year.

Edit: OK he's just reminded me the water cooling is needed to unlock the 6700 and not be throttled for 4k gaming 40-60fps.
That's all he cares about. If that can be achieved without it then great.

Last edited:
Watercooling is not needed for 4K gaming the CPU won't even run at 100% or anywhere close, once the game is loaded the GPU does all the work.

What increases CPU temp is changing the Voltage going to the CPU, which you have to do for overclocking if he is not going to overclock then he does not need liquid cooling - a decent air cooler will be enough.

I will look into the motherboards in a min and give you an update when I have one - but the ROG boards are normally designed at given loads of features and advantages in overclocking but if he isn't going to overclock then there is probably no need.

After looking into the build and looking at the details of the components.

I can see no evidence online at all in regards to having to have a water cooled PC, but if this is an avenue he wants to go down the Corsair H110 GT is the best.

The motherboard isn't actually an expensive motherboard howerver it does not have as many features as the Z170-Pro, which is around the same price.

I would also get low latency gaming round than generic stuff the price difference is minimal.

Another thing is to try and possible get 2 SSD's an .M2 for a boot and Windows system drive and another 250 or 500GB for gaming - games take quite alot longer to load of an HD than SSD.

But he has built a very solid system and considering 4K gaming is his aim you just can't use cheap components for it.

Thanks for that @bsmaff.

RE water cooling, he doesn't really want it but was told in order to game in proper 4k he will need to overclock, and therefore needs water cooling. If he can game 4k with high settings and good fps without water cooling he'll be cheering. Is that possible?

Guys if you see any good deals on the net, any thats even worthy as an x-mas present let me know.

Im mostly interested in online multiplayer games or old school games

These are all free on Uplay right now:

captureiljeb.jpg

Anyone using the new V2 Dualshock4? Having an annoying problem that it won't show DS4 icons in games like The Division that support it, instead it's showing Xbox icons even when I'm not using any 3rd party app which emulate a 360 controller...

Any recommendations on PC games guys?

I'm moving from the Xbox to gaming on the PC now so any Playstation games that i missed out would be great as well.

If your just switching to PC the best games are probably the huge amount of decent unique Indie games available or if you like them PC is the king of strategy games.

You can't get Civilization, Total War on consoles, but these games arent for everyone.

But everyone is different - I spend most of my time playing Fifa and Arma 3: Exile - which I run my own server.

Arma is basically a realistic Battlefield but on a map probably about 50-100x the size of the largest Battlefield maps.

If your just switching to PC the best games are probably the huge amount of decent unique Indie games available or if you like them PC is the king of strategy games.

You can't get Civilization, Total War on consoles, but these games arent for everyone.

But everyone is different - I spend most of my time playing Fifa and Arma 3: Exile - which I run my own server.

Arma is basically a realistic Battlefield but on a map probably about 50-100x the size of the largest Battlefield maps.

Placebo told me about Arma years ago but my pc was never good enough to handle it lol

I'll have to give it a go again as battlefield is the only fps I play so it will be right up my street.

What's FIFA like on the PC?

If if looks a lot better I'm gonna pick it up, can the scoreboard mods like Sky and BT Sports ect be added yet?

Oh yeah I have Mafia 3 on the Xbox but have yet to play it so I'm not sure wheather to sell it and get it on the PC.

If you have played games on Xbox already I wouldn't worry too much about getting them on PC, it is just the same game with better graphics.

However if you haven't played Mafia 3 yet then you could sell the Xbox version and buy the PC version for less.
PC version is currently £15 on cdkeys but has been under £10 before.

All I'm after is better graphics haha

I think I'll do what you said with Mafia. If FIFA is a lot better graphically and can be modded I'll switch to PC

All I'm after is better graphics haha

I think I'll do what you said with Mafia. If FIFA is a lot better graphically and can be modded I'll switch to PC

Graphically FIFA is much better on PC..

I have the PS4 Pro and it uses low player textures and the player models just don't look anywhere near as good + If you get an Nvidia card you can downscale games so playing FIFA in 4K DSR looks so much better even on a 1080p monitor as it loads the 4K textures.

I have the PS4 Pro and it uses low player textures and the player models just don't look anywhere near as good + If you get an Nvidia card you can downscale games so playing FIFA in 4K DSR looks so much better even on a 1080p monitor as it loads the 4K textures.

And how do you do that?
I mean... Step by Step, for dummies like me.

Fifa 17 still can't unfortunately, Fifa 16 can and has loads of mods so if you don't mind playing the older version that could be the way to go for now.

That's a shame.

You can still use mods to change the colour though can't you to make it more realistic looking?

I'll always be playing on a 60" 1080p TV. Will it still work as well on that as well?

I'd like a little guide like chuny as well if you don't mind :)

You'll both be on Nvidia? It's different for AMD/Nvidia

I'm not on NVIDIA right now. But I will be in a few months. Planning to get that GTX 1080 (MSI or ASUS).
So if you can explain how to do it on Nvidia cards, that'll be enough I guess.

I'm not on NVIDIA right now. But I will be in a few months. Planning to get that GTX 1080 (MSI or ASUS).
So if you can explain how to do it on Nvidia cards, that'll be enough I guess.

It is best to explain when you have an Nvidia card, as it is incredibly easy to do.
You just open the Geforce Experience and change the setting in there to do the resolution at 4K.

It works well for some games like FIFA and F1 which both run very easily at 4K resolutions at over 60FPS.
But obviously some games look better with maxed out setting at 1440 than they do on medium settings in 4K.

You'll both be on Nvidia? It's different for AMD/Nvidia

I will be, I've got a GTX 970 coming on Tuesday.

Btw is FIFA 17's demo's graphics representative of the full game?

It is best to explain when you have an Nvidia card, as it is incredibly easy to do.
You just open the Geforce Experience and change the setting in there to do the resolution at 4K.

It works well for some games like FIFA and F1 which both run very easily at 4K resolutions at over 60FPS.
But obviously some games look better with maxed out setting at 1440 than they do on medium settings in 4K.

Thanks, I'll grab GeForce experience later.

I heard Ps4 Pro FiFA 17 had increased Depth of Field buffer for 4k.

I think, PC version is inferior in that case. Did you see how low res the DOF looks? Play the game at 4k and take a 4k screenshot. Now see the screenshot at full size and notice how the players that were blurred by DOF looks pixelated.

Dont know of PS4 has that issue. One can conform only if he takes a screenshot or plays on an 40 inch 4k monitor.

Back
Top Bottom