PC Gaming

Just upgraded my GFX card at the weekend to a 1080ti, I am massively surprised by how much more powerful the card is compared to the 1070.

I know in benchmarks it is stated they are 80% more powerful but actually being able to game in 4K is incredible.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider looks stunning in 4K with everything maxed out.

How much did that set you back?

Did you game in 4K on your 1070 at all? I'm still gaming on my 1070 at the minute at 4K and i agree games look stunning.

Obviously some demanding settings like shadows have to be turned down to medium and i'm getting 40-50 FPS with everything at Ultra but i'm not really fussed too much about the FPS as im used to 30 FPS on consoles lol

Did you game in 4K on your 1070 at all? I'm still gaming on my 1070 at the minute at 4K and i agree games look stunning.

Never really gamed at 4K on the 1070, it couldn't really handle it (mostly played at 1440, with the settings on HIGH/ULTRA)- FIFA and F1 were pretty much the only games that worked well on 4K @60FPS.
Running games in 4K looked very nice, but it was like playing on a PS4 (Could notice the frame drops quite obviously)

I have played a few more titles in 4K on the 1080ti, Tomb Raider looks stunning and so does PUBG.
The frame rate isn't completely amazing, but the 1080ti can do 45-50FPS in PUBG (4K Ultra) and Tomb Raider is around 55-60FPS (4K ULTRA).

Overall I am very impressed with the 1080ti, however unless you own a 4K monitor there is very little point in owning one.
If you had a 1440 monitor then you would struggle to tell any difference between a 1070 and 1080Ti, as the 1070 will run pretty much every game in 1440 ULTRA settings @60FPS+

Never really gamed at 4K on the 1070, it couldn't really handle it (mostly played at 1440, with the settings on HIGH/ULTRA)- FIFA and F1 were pretty much the only games that worked well on 4K @60FPS.
Running games in 4K looked very nice, but it was like playing on a PS4 (Could notice the frame drops quite obviously)

I have played a few more titles in 4K on the 1080ti, Tomb Raider looks stunning and so does PUBG.
The frame rate isn't completely amazing, but the 1080ti can do 45-50FPS in PUBG (4K Ultra) and Tomb Raider is around 55-60FPS (4K ULTRA).

Overall I am very impressed with the 1080ti, however unless you own a 4K monitor there is very little point in owning one.
If you had a 1440 monitor then you would struggle to tell any difference between a 1070 and 1080Ti, as the 1070 will run pretty much every game in 1440 ULTRA settings @60FPS+

I’m playing on a 4K HDR OLED and 4K makes a hell of a difference on my 55” screen.

80% better performance is what I like to hear but getting a TI would cost a pretty penny so as much as I’d like that increase I think I’ll have to stick with the 1070 for a bit.

Oh yeah try out Forza 7 and Assassins Creed in 4K if you have them they look stunning as well.

I’m playing on a 4K HDR OLED and 4K makes a hell of a difference on my 55” screen.

80% better performance is what I like to hear but getting a TI would cost a pretty penny so as much as I’d like that increase I think I’ll have to stick with the 1070 for a bit.

The 1080ti produces double the frames in 4K compared to the 1070 in the games I have played and tested.

But yeah the price difference is incredibly hard to justify, I got mine pretty cheap as it was £580 on Amazon and when it arrived it was clearly a customer return as had the other guys address on it when it arrived, so I contacted them and said I don't want a customer return whether it has been opened or not, so they offered to knock off an additional 20% off the price of the card making it £465 or return it for another one. But since the seals were still intact I took the 20% off.

But the issue is the 1070 has dropped considerably in price in the last 10 days making them worth only £200-£230 instead of the £280-£300 they were worth when I decided to upgrade.
I am really struggling to get rid of my 1070 at the moment, it has failed to sell on eBay the last 2 weeks. (But I was starting the auction at £250).
I have now lowered it to £220, so hopefully will sell this time.

On the games, Forza should comfortably run 4K @60FPS+ on a 1070, but very surprised Assassins Creed is playable 4K on a 1070, without it being played on LOW/MEDIUM settings.
I know on ULTRA settings in Tomb Raider the 1070 only managed 28-32FPS.

Last edited:
The 1080ti produces double the frames in 4K compared to the 1070 in the games I have played and tested.

But yeah the price difference is incredibly hard to justify, I got mine pretty cheap as it was £580 on Amazon and when it arrived it was clearly a customer return as had the other guys address on it when it arrived, so I contacted them and said I don't want a customer return whether it has been opened or not, so they offered to knock off an additional 20% off the price of the card making it £465 or return it for another one. But since the seals were still intact I took the 20% off.

But the issue is the 1070 has dropped considerably in price in the last 10 days making them worth only £200-£230 instead of the £280-£300 they were worth when I decided to upgrade.
I am really struggling to get rid of my 1070 at the moment, it has failed to sell on eBay the last 2 weeks. (But I was starting the auction at £250).
I have now lowered it to £220, so hopefully will sell this time.

On the games, Forza should comfortably run 4K @60FPS+ on a 1070, but very surprised Assassins Creed is playable 4K on a 1070, without it being played on LOW/MEDIUM settings.
I know on ULTRA settings in Tomb Raider the 1070 only managed 28-32FPS.

You got yourself a very good deal then with the extra 20% off. I didn't realise the price had dropped on the 1070 but mine only cost me £115 cash on top of the £150 I got for my 970 so it's not too bad really.

Depends what you define as playable, I'm happy with 40 FPS but I expect the majority arent lol. On Assasins Creed apart from AA being on medium (I'm not even sure I need that on at 4k), shadows on high and fog on medium everything else is on the max and I get 40 FPS.

Hopefully, I'll get another year out of this PC then I'll have to have a complete revamp as everything else is ageing haha.

Planning to upgrade my old but well loved AMD FX 8350 PC to become a shiny new beast of a AMD Ryzen 2700x build but would like some advice primarily on which motherboard to go for, this is what's set so far:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X (decided to spend some more over the normal 2700 as been advised OC'ing the 2700 can be a bit tricky?)
RAM: 16gb or 32gb? Presumably fastest clock speeds I can afford is the only clincher?
GPU: AMD RX580 8gb (this one I already have from my current build)
Motherboard: This one I'm most lost on?

In terms of RAM it seems like games are slowly starting to use a lot more available RAM so thinking if I can find a good price then it could be worth going for 32gb instead of the usual 16gb to future proof? Or would that be a waste of money at this point and I should just go for the fastest 16gb the chosen Motherboard supports?

Motherboard: obviously here I can spend anything from $100 to $500 (well I'm buying in Euros but anyways!), but which do I go for? I'll want stability, I'll want to optimise the parts I have as best as possible but I have no real brand loyalty, are there any features I should be looking for in choosing my motherboard? Pre-Black Friday I'm probably looking at maximum $300-$350 price range. The only thing that would help me make a final choice is warranty length, ideally something along the lines of 3 years if possible.

All feedback gratefully appreciated!

I always buy Asus boards, they really do last and rarely fail.

I have had issues in the past with MSI and massively with Gigabyte.

For Intel I always buy the ASUS higher end boards without going ROG, but not aimed at gaming - PRIME boards on Intel.
As they normally have the same features as the ROG boards, just don't have the gaming colours, but actual components and power phasing and everything is identical, which makes them great overclockers.

If I was buying AMD right now I would be buying this:-
https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/PRIME-X470-PRO/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-X470-...UTF8&qid=1540316776&sr=8-2&keywords=asus+x470

Also note I try never to buy cheap on motherboards, as the motherboard is the heart of the PC and need to be reliable and well made with decent resisters and components.

Yes Asus is one I had that failed but had a 3 year warranty so I got 70% value back from the retailer. MSI also failed but was 12 month warranty so I was shit out of luck there! Definitely happy to get an Asus again, I'll check those thanks.

Finally got accepted to the Nvidia Geforce NOW BETA..

This is absolutely the future of gaming.
Really smooth gameplay and graphically fine.

To run Geforce Now all you need is the game purchased on Steam/Uplay or Epic and then thats it.

Will be interesting to know how much they will charge for it when it comes out of BETA.
As long as they charge £10 a month will be worth it, although more expensive than Xbox Live you will save the money on buying PC digital codes.. Which are about £10-£20 a game less than consoles anyway.

The main plus is you will never need to buy a console again, and the hardware will constantly be upgraded.
They state it is equivalent of owning a 1080Ti in your home, and the software can be downloaded on any PC, MAC or Nvidia Shield.

I just found out that Quantic Dream released HEAVY RAIN (Demo) on PC and will be releasing all their games on PC this summer, meaning not only Heavy Rain but also Beyond Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human will be arriving to this platform. So just lemme say. YAY! I'm very happy for this! Specially about Detroit: Become Human.

You can download the Heavy Rain Demo right here: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/heavy-rain/home

I just found out that Quantic Dream released HEAVY RAIN (Demo) on PC and will be releasing all their games on PC this summer, meaning not only Heavy Rain but also Beyond Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human will be arriving to this platform. So just lemme say. YAY! I'm very happy for this! Specially about Detroit: Become Human.

You can download the Heavy Rain Demo right here: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/heavy-rain/home

If you pre-order them now you can get them for £5.99 each with the EPIC sale going on.

My Mac Pro 5,1 is getting long in the tooth. I'm getting by with my 1070 and 32GB ram but my Xeon processor is holding it back. This is a workhorse though as it's a 2010 version and still going strong. I've been using Macs all my life (macbook white, mbp 13, 15, air, imac, mac pro) but truth be told, Apple's been pretty shite these last few years in terms of quality hardware and neglecting OSX so I'm not holding my breath for the new modular Mac Pro. Today I pulled the trigger on a new SFF pc. I still work in OSX with my Macbook Air and use the Mac Pro for some heavier processing but Windows 10 Pro has been pretty great thus far so I figured it's time to put my MP to pasture and get a real gaming PC. I'm not a hardcore gamer though as I mostly play FIFA, Pro Evo and the occasional motocross and racing games like Forza Horizon.

AFTERSHOCK-PC-IMPULSE-V2-1.jpg

1. CASE OPTIONS : IMPULSE : Impulse V2 Aluminium Casing
  2. CPU OPTIONS (ZEAL, IMPULSE, HYPERGATE, AIOS) : Intel® Core™ i7-8700 | 4.6 GHZ | 6 Cores 12 Threads
  3. MOTHERBOARD (ITX) : For Intel - ASROCK H310M ITX/AC (MINI ITX Motherboard)
  4. GPU (SFF and AIO) : ZOTAC NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6
  5. THERMAL COMPOUND : IC Diamond Thermal Compound CPU
  6. RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) (DESKTOP) : 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz Klevv Perf ( 2X16GB | Dual Channel )
  7. SOLID STATE DRIVE PRIMARY BAY (DESKTOP) : 1TB (1000GB) M.2 NVME ULTRA FAST SSD (Read Speed: 3400mb/s | Write speed : 3000mb/s)
  8. HARD DRIVE (2.5") : 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD
  9. WIFI - IMPULSE, AEON AND NEXT : 802.11ac WiFi (2.4G / 5G WiFi) With Bluetooth 4.0

Last edited:
If you pre-order them now you can get them for £5.99 each with the EPIC sale going on.

Done!
Bought HR and DBH :D
I just lost my job, but I got these because I thought they were so cheap I couldn't let it pass... I feel so much guilt right now.

Thanks for the heads up though man!

Last edited:
So it seems MS have finally added geolocking to the MS Store and of course being them they've done it completely half assed and over the top, my store region via PC was UK, apparently my MS account region was Sweden, so I bought State of Decay 2: Heartland code via the store and when I tried to activate it it says wrong region, I change the region to Sweden on PC, nope still wrong region, try changing it to Spain as that's what my IP has and nope still wrong region, then I try Turkey as that's the original MS store that State of Decay 2 was bought from, nope wrong region, WTF.

So it seems MS have finally added geolocking to the MS Store and of course being them they've done it completely half assed and over the top, my store region via PC was UK, apparently my MS account region was Sweden, so I bought State of Decay 2: Heartland code via the store and when I tried to activate it it says wrong region, I change the region to Sweden on PC, nope still wrong region, try changing it to Spain as that's what my IP has and nope still wrong region, then I try Turkey as that's the original MS store that State of Decay 2 was bought from, nope wrong region, WTF.

I will try mine when I get home.
As I only ever bought Tomb Raider from Argentina when it was cheap on release, so lets see what happens.

It looks like older games that were bought on various regions still work, but the geolocking applies now, Heartland is working in SOD2 for us (wife and I) but not according to the Store library:

upload_2019-6-10_17-43-40.png

upload_2019-6-11_16-51-20.png

So then I bought it directly from the MS store, and it works ingame but in the library it shows:

upload_2019-6-11_16-51-31.jpeg

Currently trying to get the first two gift code purchases refunded...

I start saving for next gen gaming.. it seems my gtx 1070 + i5 3550 + 8 gb ddr3 can not catch what ps5 xbox scarlett offer ?

Investing for mid-end pc gaming next year seems not an option anymore looking at what current price/performance pc hardware cost now. :CONF:

I start saving for next gen gaming.. it seems my gtx 1070 + i5 3550 + 8 gb ddr3 can not catch what ps5 xbox scarlett offer ?

Investing for mid-end pc gaming next year seems not an option anymore looking at what current price/performance pc hardware cost now. :CONF:

At present no-one knows what is going to be in the PS5 or Xbox One X.
I can make assumptions on information released and would probably be a little off.

The processor given the specs could be this:-
  • Ryzen 5 3600—6C/12T, 3.6GHz to 4.2GHz, 35MB cache, 65W TDP, $199
However I do expect the clock speeds to be lower than above to keep the CPU cooler, as the amount of heat generated would be too great otherwise.

The GPU is the biggest kept secret, as the specs have not been released yet, although I expect it could be a custom variant of the 5700, which again will most likely have a slower core clock to help with cooling.
Which will probably be very similar in power to your 1070, or it could be equivalent to a 2070, which is about 20% faster than a 1070.
It will however not be as powerful as a 1080Ti or higher.

The SSD will be using the PCiE 4.0 bus, which although statistics wise is a step up.
Intel claim the real world benefit of the new bus is absolute minimal and just marketing bulls**t by AMD, hence why they never implemented the technology on their latest boards.
There is currently no technology available at this time that needs this new technology, or will need it in the next few years as there is currently no bottleneck caused by PCiE 3. Unlike the PCiE 3 which was required as GFX cards were using all the bandwidth of PCiE 2.

PC gaming is pretty expensive, when it feels like you are constantly updating.
But I find consoles a false economy, yes they are cheaper but over a 5 year period PC gaming actually works out cheaper.
No £50 a year subscription plan to play games you purchased online.
Games are half the price on launch and even cheaper when on sale.
As written in many articles before if you purchase on average 6 games a year or more then PC gaming works out cheaper.

Last edited:
EA Premier expires end of the month.

Just had a quick shop around and the price is £80-£90 in most countries.

However it is still by far the cheapest if you buy in Russia @ £50

I'll probably go that way as well then if Fifa20 is any good, must admit I didn't really play any of the other EA games but it's good to have the option. Let me know how you fund it, sometimes they can be tricky, think mine doesn't run out until after the early access for Fifa20 should be out, not completely sure.

Back
Top Bottom