Pearce wants "managerial" transfer window

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
Sorry, usually I don't start two threads in one day, but this is ridiculous... He WOULD, wouldn't he?! I almost cried laughing when I read that!! :lmao:

Just out of interest, does anybody actually think this is a good idea?

As a matter of fact i do...
Here in Belgium there is a university which has done scientific research on the impact of a new coach or manager for teams in crisis...guess what???
They have no impact whatsoever...getting rid of the current manager and replacing him by a new one has no impact at all...
Most club boards are business people if they would run their business like their football teams Western Europe's economy would be disastrous. Transfer windows for managers would be a good thing because boards would be forced to think twice.
i would even go further: only one transfer window between two seasons and in addition to that clubs could not get rid of their managers in between two transfer windows. This would actually be good for football clubs . This way they would only have to pay one manager...A couple of years ago Anderlecht had to pay no less than four coaches (three dismiised ones and the one that was dismissed a couple of months later).

Conclusion: seems a very good idea to me...

• Staff
I've no doubt that sacking a decent manager during a patch of bad form is stupid. But I'd much rather see chairmen developing common sense and giving them a realistic amount of time than see a "managerial window", it seems ridiculous to me. It's the chairman's club, he should be intelligent, and he should be able to do what he wants. I'd rather see a compulsory chairman IQ test than a "managerial window".

Stuart Pearce seems an awful manager, and so does Gareth Southgate. There's no shame in that, they were great players, but if they got sacked (maybe give them an entire season) I'd be pleased for the teams that they're currently managing. But for KNOWN managers, managers who have been in the game for a longer period of time and who obviously know what they're doing, they shouldn't be sacked as soon as they sometimes are. But the chairmen shouldn't react so much to the crowd's expectancy to win every game - otherwise Alex Ferguson would have been sacked a few years ago, I'll never forget watching Match of the Day and seeing him get booed by the home crowd, after the trophies he's won there. The crowd don't deserve the guy as their manager.

Of course, I realise that when times change and there are no "known" managers left there would be a problem. Maybe managerial contracts should have regulations applied to each one so that managers are forced to stay on for at least a season. Maybe, I don't know... I just think this window idea is laughable.

If anyone else had suggested it I might have taken it more seriously...

Last edited:
Jack Bauer said:
But I'd much rather see chairmen developing common sense
But do you seriously see this happening? I think the transfer window is the only other choice.

RuneEdge said:
But do you seriously see this happening? I think the transfer window is the only other choice.

Historical moment, we actually agree on something...

• Staff
Now HERE is an idea I'd like to see implemented, as soon as possible. What a fantastic idea.

Any money says they don't do it, though.

Back
Top Bottom