Pele's Son Edinho Trafficking drugs?

Milanista

Mangiamoli!
19 December 2002
London & Milan
AC Milan
Not sure if this is offtopic or football, anyway i found this quite interesting and amusing.

Pele's son arrested in drugs raid
_41225483_peleson_203.jpg

Edinho used to be a reserve goalkeeper for Santos

The son of Brazilian football legend Pele has been arrested in an anti-drugs operation in the port city of Santos.
Edson Cholbi Nascimento, known as Edinho, 35, was one of at least 17 people held during an operation to smash a cocaine trafficking gang.

He has not been charged, but police said he was being questioned on suspicion of trafficking.

In 1999 he was jailed for six years for his part in street car race in which a motorcyclist was killed.

Edinho never enjoyed his father's success on the field, playing as a reserve goalkeeper for Santos.

Kidnap link?

Police seized weapons and vehicles during a series of raids in Santos, about 210 miles (340km) from Rio de Janeiro.

Edinho was expected to be questioned by anti-drugs police involved in the operation, believed to have been planned for eight months, reports said.

Authorities are also investigating reports that the gang was connected to the kidnap last year of the mother of current Brazilian star Robinho, the AFP news agency said.

Marina Souza was freed in late December after a $200,000 (£110,000) dollar ransom was paid.

Edinho retired from football in 1999, the same year as his murder conviction.

He was sentenced to six years in prison on a work release scheme.

His father, Pele, widely regarded as the greatest footballer of all time, won the World Cup three times with Brazil and later became a government minister.

I cant belive Pele let his son go down this road , I mean the guy can control his erection but not his kid ;)

Its quite shocking that the sone of such a great player went down this road.
I dont think he ever wanted to be like his dad if he decided to be a goalkeeper.

With all his dad's connections and goodwill, couldn't he have entered a more respectable line of crime -- U.N. for example?

If true, what a way to honor one's pop.

Back
Top Bottom