PES 2008 (PS3) - Official Topic

bah u got me all worried about recieving pro evo tomorrow morning now guys! :( it cant be rubbish :( if it is im gunna be so dissapointed with konami and sony. pro evo is my main enjoyment on the consoles :(

Got the new pes2008 on ps3 today. Very disappointing! Graphics are better but slower, and gameplay seems worse. Anyone else find that shooting doesn't 'feel' right any more???!

bah u got me all worried about recieving pro evo tomorrow morning now guys! :( it cant be rubbish :( if it is im gunna be so dissapointed with konami and sony. pro evo is my main enjoyment on the consoles :(

All the comments here let me down, but I've bought PES2008, and the slowdowns are only on the players entrance and the replays.
On the match itself I haven't seen the slowdown.
and the game is very good in my opinion.
I'm not disappointed.
So in my opinion you are going to enjoy tomorrow :)

The frame rate suffers on long/high balls when the camera pans up and shows the crowd... Also when in and around the penalty area. Replays are unwatchable.

The frame rate suffers on long/high balls when the camera pans up and shows the crowd... Also when in and around the penalty area. Replays are unwatchable.

doesnt slow for me at all in game. only replays. think its depends on several factors so you really wont know if you're gonna get slowdown unless you try it.

Got the new pes2008 on ps3 today. Very disappointing! Graphics are better but slower, and gameplay seems worse. Anyone else find that shooting doesn't 'feel' right any more???!

you should fill your power bar to at least 80%, now.

has anyone tried the penalty shootout?

they're flying on the moon! slowly....

Horrible... horrible.. Awful :(

Pes 2008 is a arcade game. The pace is just too fast. I played about 9-10 games with my friend, Inter vs Real..

And it feels like Nhl-hockey "coast to coast".. Your players move nicely when you start to attack, but i think that it's now too easy to attack. We did try to place the playercondition to "terrible", but still ex. Zlatan was keeping the ball too easily.

The game is easy for everyone, just direct passing if you want to score, it dosen't matter what tactics you play:(

The slowdown issues, there is some slowdown.. but so little that it dosen't affect the gameplay.

I just hope that Konami will do a massive patch for the game \\:o/

or else it's going to be another year with PES 6.

Last edited:
Lifelong PES fan - Have just played my first few games of this on PS3

This is the best I've felt about a new PES in a long time, love the weight of the ball, feels just spot on, pings around nicely and is gloriously smooth when played in far or wide camera. Seems quite easy (but satisfying) to score but only playing on regular.

Frame rate in replays is disappointing but I reckon they'll patch it - thats the good thing about being able to download direct.

Not been online yet though

One little thing that did annoy me in edit mode is you can't change hairstyle for pre-set faces

Does anyone know how to dive and pull shirts? I'd heard this was going to be included but it's not in the manual. I've got the ps2 version btw.

Ok, so I've given this badboy a few games in the PS3 and although some slowdown is sometimes noticeable during goalmouth scrambles, it is certainly nowhere near game breaking level and I don't feel subtracts from the experience. Its nowhere near as frequent or as bad as it was on a few of PS2 games in the series and I do feel is being blown out of all proportion.

The replays are pathetic though, which is disappointing, but this is apparently the case across both the PS3 and 360 versions, so we'll all be in the same boat on that one. We know why WENB kept skipping the replays in their video coverage of the game now.

Gameplay wise, there are so many little improvements I noticed from just a few quick games, I can't wait to get stuck into some multiplayer with my brother tonight. Its a pity the Spurs game is on really or I would literally be playing all night.

The biggest improvement for me is the implementation of weight and balance, more so than in previous entries. Every tackle, shot and pass has real weight behind it and makes it feel much more satisfying. It is also easier to catch a defender off balance by turning the opposite way to their run, allowing some space for a shot or a pass, whereas before defenders glued themselves to you.

Played on the hardest difficulty and the A.I is much improved, they actually attack intelligently and don't just run out of ideas and lump the ball into the box like in previous years. They also anticipate your moves better, which means more though needs to go into your attacking patterns.

Finally, the volleying feels so much better this year and is a lot easier to do well, which should add an extra dynamic to the game.

Just need to find a skills list now so I can check some of those out. Did the Ronaldo heelflick by mistake and it looked very well animated.

alright, posted last night. i was seriously worried after all the comments of slow down etc. so i started it up this morning with feelings very muched mixed about what i was about to experience. first off, the main screen is rubbish and the music as always is woeful. i went straight into a game. man utd vs arsenal 20min regular difficulty level and i can see why people are moaning, there is slowdown. BUT noway near enough to stop me enjoying my favourite game on the consoles. it happens mostly around the penalty area when theres alot of people on screen but it didnt stop me putting 9 past newcastle playing as arsenal in my last game. if all you want is pro evo doing what pro evo does best, then you will love it. in time a patch will come and it will be sorted but id play it as it is anyway. at least if you lose you have the excuse "god damn slowdown £$^^!!!" by the way, why is john terry on the bench for chelsea??? watch out for a few selection issues. love the diving too! lol tried it twice...got yellow carded twice :( i guess i need to work on my diving skills.

All the comments here let me down, but I've bought PES2008, and the slowdowns are only on the players entrance and the replays.
On the match itself I haven't seen the slowdown.
and the game is very good in my opinion.
I'm not disappointed.
So in my opinion you are going to enjoy tomorrow :)

yep my thoughts exactly

I have given up on konami for another year! This game is pure rubbish! Once again defending is rubbish as is the A.I of your teammates! PES 2009 will truely be Konami's last chance for me or else I will forget about it and stop buying the games till they make something good again! PES6 & now this rubbish is just crap with games with ridiculously high scorelines! I am very angry but I will curb my temper and recommend people not to buy this! I may, however check out the PS2 version but I would imagine it is the same crap goalfest game!

I think the game is good, but not overwhelming. There are some points where I have said wow but not many. My biggest gripe is the art direction and animation, which seems to have gone backwards since the PS2 version. I don't like the grunting sounds either.

Overall I think it feels like a stop gap. Perhaps next year will be better, but I just get the sense that this version is nothing more than an option to bide the time until a true next gen version comes out. To be honest I had a better time biding my time with PES 6 PS2

I read Sao Paolo, Boca Juniors Wisla Krakow and Dinamo Zagreb (<--I think) were in the game, anyone know what happened to these teams?

I really can't believe how poor this game is. I want to love it like i have every other PES - i even love PES6 despite its shortcomings due to the online side of things (360 version)

I played PES6 pretty much every day for the last year. Yes i was disappointed a little last year that there was no major improvement in master league and online was limited to single matches at a time (ie no leagues, cups etc) but i simply couldn't put it down and racked up over 1500 matches online.

This year i thought at the very least they would improve the offline side of things - add new features to master league, maybe include a challenge/scenario mode etc and improve the online mode with the introduction of leagues and cups.

How wrong could i be. Not only is the offline mode pretty much as it has been for years (in terms of features) the online is completely screwed.

What are Konami thinking - it is entirely unacceptable that the online side of things is so bad that they put a notice up saying "we know this doesn't work and are trying to fix it"

Surely if the game is not finished it should not have been released - and lets not kid ourselves it is clearly not finished (given the problems with online and the slowdown/framerate issues). That they decided to just release it anyway shows nothing but contempt for the loyal fans who keep them in a job.

Since PS1 days ISS/PES has been by far my most played game each year. I look forward to the release of a new PES each year and it has never truly disappointed until now.

I have played it for a few days now and tried to like it but given that my main staple is online it is frankly uplayable at the moment. For the 1st time ever less than 1 week after getting it i am not really inclined to play it.

This sucks big time - sort it Konami.

Rant over!

Back
Top Bottom