PES 2008 PS3 thread

where the hell are the cloth-physics? it just looks exactly the same as the current 360 version but with slightly better textures. slightly better textures are NOT next-gen konami!!!!
even tho i have to admit you wont be able to see the flowing shirts/shorts when in normal play... i'd like to see them in when up close during replays!

a second or two wait to load up the textures needed for the replays is worth it imo.

Hope that is a joke tbh.
Yeah lets have a nice black screen for a few seconds so we can see "cloth physics' in replays.
After all it's not NEXT GEN if we can't see moving hair, or sweat fly off peoples head. Who cares about gameplay when you can have "cloth physics".

Last edited by a moderator:
where the hell are the cloth-physics? it just looks exactly the same as the current 360 version but with slightly better textures. slightly better textures are NOT next-gen konami!!!!
even tho i have to admit you wont be able to see the flowing shirts/shorts when in normal play... i'd like to see them in when up close during replays!

a second or two wait to load up the textures needed for the replays is worth it imo.

Cloth Simulation is not via textures. They could animate wrinkles on the shirt via an animated texture or morph texture - by the look they are Normal mapped due to the lighting which are not yet animatable (at least not easily as they have more levels in their image than just black and white), however bump mapping can be animated easily via single black and white image sequence.

Cloth Sims are usually solved by vertex positioning and as such is solved directly to the model itself, vertex by vertex*, although a real-time engine would have to have an awesome physics component to make it work, or even better a physics processor. I'm a 3D Animator...

* So imagine the permutations - vertex 238 has to be checked firstly IF it is colliding with another vertex (say 678 in a group of 1000 vertexes in the area affected i.e. the lower part of the Shirt itself and maybe the hip region) 24 times a second and then a solution needs to be calculated on which direction vertex 238 is to "bounce" AWAY from that vertex (678).... 24 times a second.

Cloth Simulation is not via textures. They could animate wrinkles on the shirt via an animated texture or morph texture - by the look they are Normal mapped due to the lighting which are not yet animatable (at least not easily as they have more levels in their image than just black and white), however bump mapping can be animated easily via single black and white image sequence.

Cloth Sims are usually solved by vertex positioning and as such is solved directly to the model itself, vertex by vertex*, although a real-time engine would have to have an awesome physics component to make it work, or even better a physics processor. I'm a 3D Animator...

* So imagine the permutations - vertex 238 has to be checked firstly IF it is colliding with another vertex (say 678 in a group of 1000 vertexes in the area affected i.e. the lower part of the Shirt itself and maybe the hip region) 24 times a second and then a solution needs to be calculated on which direction vertex 238 is to "bounce" AWAY from that vertex (678).... 24 times a second.

Yep, thats exactly what I thought mate

Hope that is a joke tbh.
Yeah lets have a nice black screen for a few seconds so we can see "cloth physics' in replays.
After all it's not NEXT GEN if we can't see moving hair, or sweat fly off peoples head. Who cares about gameplay when you can have "cloth physics".

when did say anything about the load screens being black? not ALL load screen black or blank (PES5 on the PS2 did have a slight 1 second pause between being being faulted and showing the cut scene with the ref). and flowing hair is similar to flowing cloth, if not the same thing when coded in games? you can correct me on that if you wish... but this is just what i've noticed from over the years playing other games.

and where did i say i prefer to have better gfx to better gameplay?

gameplay has always been good... but the gfx has always seem to be been an after thought imo. konami CAN do better!

why is everyone getting so pissed off with the screens?
theyre early screens and we've head nothing about features and theres been hardly any news, wait until its officialy unveiled then u can start thinkin about puttin the game down before you've already played it!

Theres so much hate flying round at the minute, i can see people are passionate about pro-evo but we need to stay possitive maybe im an optimist but here are a few points.

-This shot is from an early build, thats clear to see, just look at the boots, textures and lighting.

-Konami have stated that the final build will contain flowing kits, sweat effects and improved atmosphere

-If you looked at the early 360 shots from last year they were greatly improved before release.

-The models and proportions are spot on, with the few tweaks metioned above we have a great looking game

-Major improvements in the key area, Gameplay

-Still no news on features... so lets just wait it out.

Check this out:

Greetings from Australia to everyone at evo-web.

First off, I have been playing and following PES/WE since the early days since my first trip to Europe where i played it in a cafe, and like most of you I have become familiar with the whole look and feel of the game. Last years effort however was a huge shock to me as it was far worst than any other new version released. Not only was it 1/4 finished, but it was a huge let down visually and in gameplay. Yeah I know it was quarter finished, but why release something thats not fully cooked. it just doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. I know microsoft paid them to do it quickly, but still...konami have lost so much creditability because of it.

Anyway, the point i wanted to highlight in this post is konami's other sports game that has just recently been released on the PS3, which many people have not heard about or played. Its a baseball game with a simialr look and feel of pes but obviously with bats and crazy little baseball buggys. Ive just bought this game and it seriously blew me away. Its so much fun, even tho its entirely in Japanese. Not only is the gameplay perfect but visually it makes the 360 pes6 version look laughable. The makers of this game obviously must have some contact and work in conjunction with the WE team cause its one organisation of konami. This is why iam a little confused about everyone doubting the new pes2008 coming out. It will be something special this time, and not be a half assed, unfinished, unfamilar looking pes to the one that was relased last year.

Here are some pictures of the baseball game released on the PS3 by konami. Straight away you can see the difference in facial detail.Which makes you think, why would konami release that image of the random bloke with the microphones in his face when his face looks so lifeless and so 360ish. Surely konami's final release will have players looking more like this?

pro-yakyuu-spirits-4-20070508043252066.jpg

pro-yakyuu-spirits-4-20070508043240019.jpg

pro-yakyuu-spirits-4-20070508043241519.jpg

pro-yakyuu-spirits-4-20070508043255066.jpg
:shock:

really couldn't care less about the graphics. Features, Features, Features, all the way.

Lets hope that they have upgraded the sound effects to complement the action as well so that we can actually feel as if we are in a real stadium. Currently the sound of the ball hitting the goalpost is almost like the real sound. But the sound of the keeper parrying a shot which sounded like a ball being kick is not very realistic. With team vision and everything if the sound is not rectified it can be counter productive.

People need to chill these is an early screenshots and does not represent the finished artical. I sometimes think we have become spoiltin terms of what we expect because for me this looks awesome and if you compare this to the likes of the first FIFA or Sensi Soccer you' drealise how lucky we are to be in this age of excellant graphics. If it looks anyhting like Baseball Spirits 4 I'd have no complaints. Lets wait till we see it in motion before we start panicing.:D

Last edited:
I really hope the ps3 version is much more better because otherwise i doubt of sony sucess with ps3
really i mean GTA 4 now Pes WILL definitely be the same on 360
damn im pissed off about them a 600€ a system for nothing !!!!!
Im praying for a better VERSION even if their not a big chance that will happen because the two systems are almost even in every way and ps3 is a massive flop ( in US and JAP thats true !!! )

Can you explain to me why it should look so poor next to every other next-gen game? Seriously, they have different departments who are all paid to do their job, it's not like they say "don't do a good job this year" to the art department and say "do a great job again because we know that's what really matters" to the gameplay department. They just have a shit art department.

Why is it so bad to expect next-gen graphics on a next-gen machine?

If you guys like the look of a Cartoon football game then why not play Disney Football on the GameCube :)

If the gameplay is good then i will yes.
A perfect world would be good graphics and good gameplay.
But if i can only have one, then gameplay it is.
I don't care if it looks next gen, as long as the gameplay is next gen(god i hate the term "next gen").

Gameplay wont be next gen, it will be last years engine slightly tweaked here and there. Expect more CPU assisted Bullshit like deflections and such like.

Gameplay wont be next gen, it will be last years engine slightly tweaked here and there. Expect more CPU assisted Bullshit like deflections and such like.

FIFA 08...

expect shots to be like sticking the ball on your toe, then flicking it off like a sticky bogie ;)

why is everyone getting so pissed off with the screens?
theyre early screens and we've head nothing about features and theres been hardly any news, wait until its officialy unveiled then u can start thinkin about puttin the game down before you've already played it!

Early screens huh? The damn game is going to be released this year, as in not many months. They've been working on the PS3 version for years now and this is what it looks like at this stage?

It looks like a minor upgrade from PS2, and they can promise all the features, animations and new gameplay elements they want - we've heard it all before prior to each new game in the series...

Apologies if I'm out of touch but what event is being held tomorrow? More PES7/2008 game details being released?

Back
Top Bottom