NickSCFC

Banned
18 July 2003
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Stoke City/Liverpool
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008

pes2008wiijq6.jpg
pes2008dsai1.jpg

http://uk.gs.konami-europe.com/news.do;jsessionid=A36DDA3CA720F834B96E935D77C205EE.srv01?idNews=266

GC 2007: PES 2008 on Wii

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH to bring best-selling Pro Evolution Soccer series to Wii™

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has announced it will be bringing its multi-million-selling Pro Evolution Soccer (PES) series to Nintendo Wii™, with a bespoke version of the game being developed for the system for release in 2008.

Scheduled for a Q1 launch, the Wii version of PES will offer the same level of realism that has established the series as the definitive football title, but has been undergone a radical rethink to make the most of the Wii’s motion-sensitive control system. The game will make full use of the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers, offering total control over every aspect of the players and their movements both on and off the ball. The clever use of the Wii controllers will allow users to send players running into space, and to distribute the ball with ease.

“We are extremely keen to introduce PES to as wide a selection of football fans as possible, and the Wii and its unique abilities are a perfect fit,” commented Jon Murphy, Pro Evolution Soccer Team Leader for Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH. “The potential for PES on the format is enormous, and we look forward to a very exciting start to 2008.”

Last edited:
Re: PES 2008 (DS) - Official Topic

PES8 360's graphics look like they're from a DS game anyway so why the need for separate threads? ;)

I'd like to see N64's ISS 98

Seeing as DS doesn't even have an analogue stick it'd be a bit pointless.

I think Konami have got it right by using the PS ISS Pro engine.

I'd like to see PES 2008 on DS use the same menu style as the other versions in terms of looks, PES6 on DS' menus looked like Worl Cup Italia 90 or something!

I don't have a problem with what's on the top half of the screens, it's the manky menus at the bottoms halves. It needs to be more consistant with the other versions.

Konami seem to be being pretty lazy with the DS version. looks no different from last year's game. The DS is better than this.

The animation seems a bit smoother, the d-pad's fine but the DS buttons are too small.

Graphics are only a tiny improvement over PES6.

The Wii version will look the same as the PS2 version.

The animation seems a bit smoother, the d-pad's fine but the DS buttons are too small.

yeah the Wii version will use the PS2 engine no doubt. wonder if the wiimote will just feel tacked on.

I saw someone doing a penalty shootout on Fifa08 Wii and to make the goalkeeper dive he was throwing the controller in the direction he wanted to dive, he actually saved the penalty in the bit I saw :)

Hmm

Some say the Wii is 2.5x/3x times more powerful then the Gamecube.

Some say its as powerful as the Original XBox.

But its about the gameplay and games and the value factor is much more then the XBox 360 and PS3.

Wii has sold 10.2+ Million
XBox 360 Sold 11.6 Million
PS3 Sold 4.28 Million

This proves that people are not into just fancy graphics and gimmicky Media Center controls.

Alot of developers are just lazy when it comes to the Wii and it's graphics. Just look at Metroid Prime 3, Smash Brothers Brawl and Mario Galaxy. Everything should be looking as good as those as long as they spend the time on it.
It's not Hi Def but it's still a big improvement.

That DS version looks horrible too. Like it's the GBA version.
The wii version isn't out until Q1 2007 they have a bit of time to tweak the engine.

Last edited:
You might think it looks horrible, but its a shit load better looking than last years version!!!!!

I just seen this video of Real Football 2008 on the DS recently don't know much about it nor whether it's hyped up but it looks more impressive visually at least:
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevanc...08/video/x2yzpq_real-football-2008_videogames
Kind of reminds me of the old ISS on the N64 visually. This is what Konami should be trying to do.

good find man! I never knew anything about this.

just shows how lazy konami really are with the DS version.

the first facts on Ubisoft's Nintendo DS soccer game, Real Football 2008, have arrived.

With its amazing accessibility, Real Football 2008 lets anyone who loves football, regardless of their level, to set the field on fire by performing dribbles, step-overs, centres, and spectacular goals. You're also sure to be totally immersed. You'll play in larger-than-life stadiums, take on players with realistic behaviours, and feel just like you're a real player as you use the microphone and touch screen during the match.

Features:
# Fun and incredible football right from the first minutes of play: Extremely intuitive controls that make it easy for you to put together awesome football feats, regardless of your level, and perform spectacular technical moves (bicycle kicks, step-overs, back-heel, flip flap, lobs, etc.).
# Innovations that truly take advantage of DS functionalities: Yell into the microphone to influence the referee's decisions. Shoot penalty kicks with the stylus on the touch screen.
# Graphics and animation that push the limits of immersion and establish a new standard of quality on the DS: Discover the atmosphere of the biggest football fields with nine stadiums that have been modelled down to the smallest details (bleachers, fans, field textures, etc.). Plus, the 3D graphics and animation of the players are copied from the top football players, making you feel like you're attending a real match.
# Advanced, dynamic artificial intelligence: Your team-mates and opponents adapt your playing style, offering never-before-seen strategy depth. You'll see them run the ball, use defence pressing, or even be replaced based on the decisions that you make.
# A multi-player mode for an infinite lifespan: Play up to 4 players with several cartridges and start playing in never-ending, unforgettable football tournaments with friends.

rf200802vj6.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
TBH I really liked the DS PES6. I was close to taking it back after the first couple of days but I got into on a few long haul flights and played it right to the end of the World Tour mode. Its no master league, but I genuinely think it's a mode they should consider for the next gen versions.

For those who missed it (and I reckon there's a few) you start with the default ML players and have to play against each of the national sides, which are divided into groups according to quality. Each time you beat a side you get three coins, which you then spend on the 'Gatcha-Get' (one of those dispensers that gives you a toy in a plastic ball, a bit like a kinder egg toy, popular in Japan). Each coin gives you a new player at random from the squads you have beaten.

The reason I liked it even compared to the ML is that you are forced to play with somewhat more budget players. You can't go and buy Ronaldo straight away, you have to make the best with what you're given. Obviously as you beat better sides and work your way through the groups your team becomes a bit stronger, but Brazil, Argentina, England, France etc aren't available until right at the end, so chances are you'll never play with any of their players.

I thought this was refreshing after years of snapping up quality players from the off with older Pro Evos. My all conquering team in the end had a strike partnership of Mark Viduka and Latvia's Maris Verpakovskis (who was quality!)

I very much doubt it will ever make it beyond the DS but it's a good spin on a career mode, which IMO was a better design decision than some inevitably hamstrung master league, bearing in mind the DS's limited architecture.

I hope it's in the new version. Some basic edit options like boot colours would be good too.

Last edited:
http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/826/826603p1.html

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 First Look

Konami takes the highly-acclaimed series in a radical - and altogether fantastic - direction.

UK, October 11, 2007 - Although the existence of Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 on Wii has been widely known for some time, hard facts about the game have been few and far between until now. At a press event in Seville in Spain, Konami lifted the lid on its next-gen Nintendo title, revealing a game that appears to take the series in a dramatic new direction. Indeed, while the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 offer up much the same experience as the PlayStation 2 games of yore, albeit with sharper graphics, the Wii incarnation looks set to push the boundaries of the series.

That's not to say Konami has opted to dumb down Pro Evo by making it more accessible to the Wiimote-waving masses. On the contrary, PES2008 on Wii looks every bit as realistic as its hi-def cousins and, if initial thoughts prove right, it could well offer a greater level of control and freedom in terms of gameplay.

The reason for this is that Konami has cleverly used the Nunchuk and Wiimote to enhanced the gameplay experience rather than bolt on some motion-sensing gimmick. Here, the Nunchuk stick is used to move the player around screen and the B button is used to pass. No big deal you may think, but what's interesting is that the Wiimote appears as a point on the screen, affecting the gameplay in a couple of ways. Firstly, it's an alternative way of moving your player around the screen - drag the cursor around while holding A and your player will follow the on-screen target. Secondly, the cursor is used to accurately pass the ball, so if you want to thread a looping through ball to a winger (rather than the obvious guy standing nearby) simply move the target over the runner's head and press pass.

That's not all. Using the same method, you're free to pass into space and, from the video we've seen), the AI is smart enough to know what you're doing and latch onto the pass, within reason of course.

The Wiimote comes in really useful during setpieces too because you can 'order' off-the-ball players to make runs. Again, simply click the cursor over their heads and then drag in the direction you want them to run. They'll then scuttle off, leaving you to knock in a well-weighted ball they can latch on to. There's no limit to the number of players you can move around either, so there's no reason why a skilled player couldn't send one player off on a dummy run while crossing the ball into the path of a player they've sent in another direction.

Admittedly we've yet to go hands-on with the Wii version of PES 2008 but in theory - and judging by the video - it's looks very promising indeed. We'll have to wait and see just how complicated the controls are, especially in the middle of a frantic midfield tussle, but Konami has at least distilled the authentic essence of PES in its Wii game rather than opting for the obvious - and already tiresome - gimmicks we've seen of late.

This seems like it could go either way. I'm worried about the shooting, that swing the nunchuck to shoot gimmick seems really bad. But the off the ball player control could be great...

Back
Top Bottom