PES 2009 News/Pics/Previews/Reviews/Videos Thread (20/09/08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
All PES 2009 news will go in here, and will be locked to prevent the actual news being lost in a sea of "FIFA iz for gays, nah m8 PES iz for gays".

------------

Articles:
01 JULY 2008

COMPUTERANDVIDEOGAMES: First PES 2009 info

Quotes/Rumours:
23 JULY 2008

From pesgaming.com:

PES 2009 Champions League Mode
Posted by Peter Willis in PES 2009 News on Wed 09 Jul 2008
I was informed last week that Konami had indeed acquired the Champions League licence, but told it may not be in PES 2009. I was then told 2 days ago that it is in fact going to feature in Pro Evo 2009… but opted not to post it as there is a NDA in place. But, you know what, I didn’t sign any NDA - Konami never tell us a thing, they apparently don’t care about 10,000 PES fans coming through our door every single day. Not one single acknowledgement came from Konami following Dan Bolas' massive effort at putting together a letter containing the thoughts of the fans.

So screw 'em, this post is a little bit of a two fingers up to Konami for ignoring us for the past 6 years. You may already know this if you hunt through the forums of a certain website for long enough, but...

The Champions League mode WILL be in Pro Evolution Soccer 2009. Not a seperate game.

That is all.

Just been reading through an old PES forum I used to visit which was a PES League site (www.pelluk.co.uk), and it seems some information has been leaked. There is several pages in the thread so I've gone through it and picked out the information from the source. Note: I'm simply copy and pasting what the source has stated, but putting it in number order to make it easier to read:

1) Man Utd & Liverpool are the licensed teams.
2) Spanish League has not been axed. Same leagues as PES2008.
3) You can use Master League teams online.
4) New game mode entitled "Become a Legend", more on this later.
5) There is NO official licensed Champions League mode. Despite the rumours. More to follow.
6) 19 Stadiums including Wembley. PS3 version though so could be different.
7) No Bayern Munich.
8) The team replacing Bayern is Zenit St Petersburg, with an improved Arshavin.

Here is an interview the member of the PES League site has done with his source, this shows some extra details:

With regards to the gameplay, would you say it resembled PES6 or PES2008, and what aspects differ?

The gameplay is PES2008, the way it should have been. You can no longer run straight through everyone with Eto'o or Ronaldinho without any effort but you can beat players by running if you time your moves correctly. It is very realistic and the AI in defence and attack is massively improved.

The refereeing in PES2008 was abysmal, has it got any better? (please elaborate)

The refereeing is probably the same although the collisions are much better so the decisions are often correct. The diving works better too. Managed to win a pen with an expertly timed dive over a defenders outstretched leg - looked class.

PES2008 definitely favoured the attacking side with scoring being particularly easy. Is this the case in 2009?

Shots don't seem to be as easy as 2008 and the keepers cover their area much better. Obviously if you get up to them and pass across them its easy but that's the same in real life. The defence also like to play cat and mouse with the offside trap so it’s harder to get in to create the easier chances.

Have we finally moved into "next gen" or are we still polishing a turd? (graphics wise)

The graphics are similar but the lighting effects (floodlights/sun etc) are spectacular. It really adds to the feel of the game, definitely the best I have seen in a sports game but I haven't seen FIFA 09 yet.

PES2008's goalkeepers were total garbage. Please tell me they've improved.

They seemed to have improved but after only a day, I can't be 100% sure. I haven't seen one soft shot being fumbled and tapped in though so that's a good thing.

Who are the officially licensed English teams?

Liverpool & Man Utd although most sides have nearly every player's real face.

Please list the leagues included.

The same as last time, England, France, Spain, Holland & Italy.

Any major non-leagued teams removed or added?

Off the top of my head I think the only change is Zenit St Petersburg replacing Bayern Munich.

Off the top of your head, how many stadiums are there, and which famous ones are new?

There are 19 stadiums, the only new one I remember is Wembley, although I suspect Anfield and Old Trafford will be there as part of the licensing agreement with the two clubs [Liverpool and Man Utd].

You mentioned "Become a Legend" mode. Can you explain this in more detail, and how it relates to the "new exciting online mode"?

You create a player and start off at a team - a fantasy side (I think it's a youth side). You control just yourself (with the Be a Pro camera from FIFA). As you play your player improves in stats, clubs become interested and make offers for your services; I had Everton and Hull after me.

When you save your player stats, you can then take him online to team up with other "legends". This adds a whole new side to the game as you can actually play in a side day in day out and have leagues set up etc. I haven't really got far into it but it is a great addition in my opinion.

Does this mean that you can play online with other people playing in the same team as you?

Yes. I'm not sure how many you can have but I have heard its 7v7, don't quote me on that though as this is second-hand info (though I'm quoting you anyway)!

Any word on online lag yet?

I don't work on the online section of the game but I am assured that the lag is 100% a thing of the past and that this year's will be the smoothest yet.

Of the big names, who has been greatly improved stat-wise, and have any of the silly super slags been downgraded?

Most of the stats are the same as last year (not completely finished yet) but Arshavin is better, just not amazing. The slags don't need to be downgraded as the collisions are calculated better so its just a matter of defending right. In my opinion your league wouldn't need to remove any players as Messi can be handled by a competent defender as long as you time your challenges.

If you had to be disappointed with one thing, what would it be?

There are a couple for me (but I could be over critical). Crossing seems to be a bit floaty (from corners) and the shooting has completely changed again so it needs a good practice again. Shooting like you would in PES2008 will result in you scoring zero. This isn't so much a bad thing but a nuisance.

Also on the Be a Legend mode you can't create a goalkeeper or defender to play with which is a shame.

I am disappointed that Bayern have gone and that the Master League hasn't changed - even the menus are the same.

Thanks Lami, taken from PESgaming from Hunter

Videos:

Screenshots:
01 JULY 2008

121246.jpg

121247.jpg

121248.jpg

121249.jpg

121250.jpg

121251.jpg

121252.jpg

121253.jpg

121254.jpg

121255.jpg

121256.jpg

121257.jpg

121258.jpg

pes2009hg2.jpg

01 AUGUST 08

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Box Art:
COMING SOON

Leipzig Details:
23 JULY 2008

000212403.jpg

Konami announce confirmed games for Leipzig
Posted by Talk Playstationon Jul.09, 2008 at 1:54 pmK onami have announced their games for Leipzig. Silent Hill Homecoming and PES 2009 are said to be attending the this year’s Games Convention in Leipzig.

"Konami goes into this year’s Games Convention with a very, very strong line-up that mixes familiar titles with exciting new concepts,"

Here’s the full press release Konami have issued.

Konami readies Leipzig line-up

Publisher to unveil key new releases at key Euro event

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH is promising a stunning line-up of new titles to be unveiled at this year’s Games Convention in Leipzig.

Held in Leipzig’s stunning Convention Centre from August 20.-24.08. Games Convention 2008 is set to be Europe’s largest showing of new product. Konami will use the five-day event to showcase a number of new titles for the first time, including PES 2009, Silent Hill Homecoming and a massive area dedicated to the ever-popular DancingStage franchise. Konami will also use the event to unveil a selection of new, unannounced titles for the first time, with regular showings, Q&A sessions, and product demonstrations within a dedicated stage area.

"Konami goes into this year’s Games Convention with a very, very strong line-up that mixes familiar titles with exciting new concepts,” commented Martin Schneider, Sales and Marketing Director Germany for Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH. “This year will see more of the fruits of our excellent European RnD push, in addition to stunning titles from Japan. As such, we feel Konami will deliver one of the most diverse and imaginative product lines-ups of the show, and look forward to unveiling our new titles in Leipzig."

Thanks Kaiwai, Junka and ThomasGOAL

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: PES 2009 News Thread (01/08/08)

16th August

Official Press Release (Thanks Lami)

PES Unites!
Konami unveils new modes and gamplay additions as PES 2009 strives to band together PES players in the quest for football perfection

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has revealed further details of the many gameplay additions in its forthcoming PES 2009 title, and has explained its unique ‘PES Unites’ slogan that has been designed to band together fans of the beautiful game via its new game modes.

Due for release on PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360, PlayStation®2, PC-DVD, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) and mobile phones in Autumn 2008 (followed by a Wii version in spring 2009), PES 2009 has been reworked from the ground up. New player models, AI elements and physics routines all combine to create the most advanced and realistic football game ever, but at the heart of PES 2009 are two new modes designed to make players rethink the way they approach the game.

‘PES Unites’ is the key phrase Konami is using to sum up the ethos of the new game. PES 2009 also improves on its many existing game modes and adds a number of new ways to play the game. Central to this is the new ‘Become a Legend’ solo mode, which casts the user as a midfielder or striker within a match. Using a default vertical camera view, the player starts as a rookie pro at the start of their career, and charts the many highs and lows of becoming a professional player. An extension of the popular ‘Fix’ mode, the ‘Become a Legend’ mode sees the player operate in their favoured attacking position, and work as part of the overall team as opposed to controlling every member as in a normal game.

If successful, the player must first cement their place in the starting line-up with strong performances, before catching the eye of bigger clubs and earning a move to top flight teams. Of course, results are everything in modern day football, and players must force their way into contention or face lengthy stints as a substitute or eventually be forced to take a step down to a smaller club if performances are not good enough. The ‘Become a Legend’ mode has already proved a massive hit in Japanese versions of PES since 2007, and is certain to enjoy similar status across Europe.

PES 2009 also boasts an online variant of the ‘Become a Legend’ mode, entitled simply ‘Legends.’ Players can use their saved player in online matches with like-minded friends, and can show their skills on the larger online stage.

The PES series has always been famed for its deep yet accessible control system, but the new game is aiming even higher. PES 2009 offers an unprecedented level of control, redefining the intricacies of first touch, close control and ball distribution, while also enhancing its shooting and AI mechanisms to create an all-round footballing experience. Konami’s Tokyo-based Pro Evolution Soccer Production Team has introduced new control systems wherein the player can now perform tricks and feints without the use of special moves, but within the context of the player’s run and via rapid turns and movements of the Dpad or analogue stick.

Likewise, the way the player guides the ball has been changed. The PES series has always treated the ball as a separate entity, but new calculations related to the air resistance and friction of the ground make passing and movement in PES 2009 a great deal more realistic. Different weather conditions will now have a more pronounced effect on the weight and movement of passes, with players having to compensate for more heavy conditions in poor weather.

Producer Shingo ‘Seabass’ Takatsuka and his team have also worked to extend the remit of their Teamvision AI routines, with on-screen team mates adapting their tactics according to current situations, and moving into space to assist the player in attacking and defensive situations. Teamvision also recognizes strategies that work for or against it, and will accumulate the data for use in Master League and League mode.

“It is an honour to know that our game is enjoyed by so many people from different backgrounds,” said Takatsuka of the new additions. “From top professional players, to football enthusiasts and kids who just want a kickabout in the streets, its appeal is widening all the time. The new Become a Legend and Legends Modes are designed to convey the pressure and pace a real pro experiences, with players working as part of a strong side and working to prove their merit as a player. I feel great and motivated when people enjoy our games, and feel the new modes will open up new ways to enjoy PES.”

The ever-present Master League has also been reworked, with negotiations now a lot simpler and conducted on a two-tier club and personal basis, while loyalty now plays a part with disaffected players’ moods having an adverse affect on their performances.

Adding an all-new layer of gloss to PES 2009’s much-enhanced realism, the game has also undergone a radical aesthetic upgrade. Stadiums now have more realistic environment and atmospheric elements, while the PLAYSTATION®3 and Xbox 360 versions will also showcase LED hoardings. Likewise, the way distance is shown has been changed, with the use of contrast adding a depth field to the action, while there is also a new vertical camera angle that automatically switches to a closer proximity during key one-on-one situations.

Every player in the game has also been totally redefined, with all new face and body detail, with further facial animations and kit detailing adding to the realism. The game’s Edit mode has also been boosted with the ability to create bespoke matches via the importing of faces, kits, and even sound files for specific music and crowd chants for any team. A new Pixel Paint system has also been integrated, allowing players to create their own club crests and badges to add to their home-grown kits.

“We have pulled out all the stops to make PES 2009 a landmark in footballing games,” commented Jon Murphy, PES Project Leader for Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH. “From the most basic controls, through to the wide-ranging additions to game modes such as ‘Become a Legend’, all-new visuals, sound, and the Edit mode, Seabass and his team have strived to cram as much as they can into the new game. And with more online announcements to follow, there is every reason to believe that PES 2009 is the football game everyone has been waiting for.”

Feature list from PESfan (thanks WENB)

Credit to the guys at PESfan.com who have listed all the key improvements to PES 2009 this year. Here they are:

Gameplay:
Close control more intuitive:
• Manual cursor control
• Adjusted trick control for easier control – more within natural control parameters than via special movements

Ball movement more realistic:
• Ball has always been treated as separate entity, but 2009 has new air resistance calculations for trajectory of ball
• Instant control. Buttons presses are no longer stored, making for a crisper playing style
• Heavier foot-in tackles, depending on the length X is depressed
• New friction routines to affect ball movement in terms of ground conditions
• Backspin routines calculated so ball slows accordingly
• The bounce of the ball can be used more effectively: players can flick the ball up to tee a shot, or to lift it over a defender’s trailing leg
• Skills are now integrated more into the game. If a player has the ability, they will be able to perform deft turns others cannot and will be able to feint and shimmy within the confines of the control system
• Player has to compensate for heaviness of ground when weighting passes in wet conditions or frozen ground

Teamvision enhanced:
• Tactics change according to situation
• Better off-the-ball movement – running to receive passes, etc
• AI recognizes strategies that work and accumulates data on an ongoing basis within Master League and League modes

Visuals:
Stadiums:
• Graphic depiction of weather conditions unique to each stadium
• Much more detailed lighting effects that mimic the time of day more closely
• Key new grounds like Wembley, in total about 20 stadiums
• LED Boardings (PS3 and 360 versions only)
Players:
• All new players models in game: everything reworked for additional detail
• Specific new animations to make the game flow more: players now stumble, place a hand down so as to keep running
• More individuality to movement of players: running and kicking styles, for instance: Ronaldo’s stance before a free kick

Camera:
• New vertical camera, allowing end-to-end view including ‘Player Focus’ zoom, panning in on key one-on-one situations
• New distance drawing techniques using adjusted chromatic fields

Front End - Menus:
• All new, clearer menu system
• Match stats now on sub-menus if required
• Much improved music choice

Edit:
Sound:
• In addition to the importation of graphic data, music and crowd chants can also be added
Graphics:
• Pixel Paint function allows users to create team badges from scratch

Game Modes:
Become a Legend:
• New long-term mode sees player guiding one player to glory
• Control the destiny of a midfield/striking star
• Player works within team structure, akin to popular ‘Fix’ mode – assisting play, scoring goals, etc
• Default vertical view
• Dedicated development data for player as game progresses
• Full range of transfer opportunities: but fail to play well and you will be demoted to bench or even transferred
• Based on popular Japanese mode, first time in Europe

Legends:
• Online version of ‘Become a Legend’
• Use player created in solo mode
• Play online with other ‘fixed’ position friends
• Intricate play and teamwork rewarded with PES points
• Upload finest moments for others to view and rate

Master League
• More intuitive menus
• Easier to understand two-tier negotiations: team level and individual terms
• Loyalty: players unhappy with terms, etc, will not play as well. A happy player will play better.

18th/20th August

Preview by Level 7 - Translated by Trance_Allstar
http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1415132&postcount=1105

Article translated by dejavu76
http://www.everyeye.it/xbox360/pro-e...firstlook_8109 - Original Source (In Italian)

http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1415180&postcount=1130

Preview by Gamespot
http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/pes2009/news.html?sid=6196276&mode=previews&tag=updates;title;1

WENB Leipzig Impressions
http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1416663&postcount=1741

IGN Impressions
http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1417141&postcount=1867

22nd August

PESFan Impressions
http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1418286&postcount=2119

23rd August

DaWolf Impressions
http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1419317&postcount=2282

Last edited:
Last edited:
Re: PES 2009 News/Pics/Previews/Reviews/Videos Thread (11/09/08)

September 20th

PSM3 UK - score from final version

Pro Evolution Soccer 2009: 88%
Sterling footy action but the lack of new ideas is starting to grate.

scans:

cynamite.de starplayer pictures (serie a + ligue 1 + primera division)

UPDATE 22/09/08

DELETED DUE TO NDA VIOLATION - WILL BE REUPLOADED FRIDAY !

http://www.cynamite.de/xbox360/news..._aus_neu_spanische_liga_primera_division.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom