Pes 2010 - Least enjoyable pes ever?

RonElldo

New Facemaker
22 August 2006
Does anyone else think that PES 2010 is the least enjoyable pes ever made?

Ive played well over a 100 games on top player and constantly feel annoyed/angry/frustrated at the gameplay. Everything your own player does is laboured and slow and your own team has virtually no AI. This is opposed to the computer AI when its defending which seems to know exactly what your player is going to do before the slow animations of your own player have had to time to do what you want to do.

For examply if your running down the wing with a defender on the inside of you its almost impossible to do anything but lose the ball. A pass is blocked out because the computer knows youve pressed pass and if you try to turn in any direction the computer knows your going to do this and stops instantly and tackles you. Its so unrealistic.

The slide tackling is terrible as for some reason konami have ignored the number one referee rule of getting the ball before the player. Your own player starts to fall to the floor before the defender has touched the ball and in some cases your player can be fully on the floor before the defender touches it and its not a foul. Its pathetically bad.

Tackling their player however is a lot more difficult. It often feels like there is an invisible wall between your player and the opposition. Pressing the tackle button furociously often does nothing but cause a foul. If they put you under pressure it usually causes a stumble animation and they get the ball easily.

If you do get a pass away in acres of space to allow for the animation its often slow and intercepted as your own player stands routed to the spot. When you do lose posession it takes ages to get the ball back as the opposition plays pinball football and its impossible to get the ball back until they get into the last third where thankfully the computer is crap.

The technique and responses have been lowered to school boy level as a fast ball just hits the players anywhere and bounces off until it slows down and someone can control it. When there is a loose ball for some reason your player cant sprint to it for a couple of seconds. Youll be holding the sprint button as hard as you can (sometimes drawing blood) and the player will just jog towards it. So annoying.

This also happens with a chipped through ball as it seems like the computer holds your player back till the ball is in a controllable position. By the time this happens youve been cought by the opposing defender and tackled. Ive scored ONE goal from a player running onto a chipped through ball. Ive also had TWO penalties in over a 100 games with at least 10 sliding fouls on my players where the ball was not touched AT ALL not being given.

Im not even going to speak about the terrible keepers and rubbish referee card decisions as they have been in every pes. Im not sour because i cant play the game, in fact ive lost 1 game and only play on top player but it doesnt stop the game from being consistantly the most annoying pes ive played.

Rant over. I dont know if anyone will read this but to me its the most annoying pes ever and as a lifelong PES fan i may finally go to fifa. They at least understand the main referee rules of the game.

Here we go again...

Ive played well over a 100 games on top player and constantly feel annoyed/angry/frustrated at the gameplay. Everything your own player does is laboured and slow and your own team has virtually no AI. This is opposed to the computer AI when its defending which seems to know exactly what your player is going to do before the slow animations of your own player have had to time to do what you want to do.

For examply if your running down the wing with a defender on the inside of you its almost impossible to do anything but lose the ball. A pass is blocked out because the computer knows youve pressed pass and if you try to turn in any direction the computer knows your going to do this and stops instantly and tackles you. Its so unrealistic.

Sounds like good defending to me. You know you can fake a pass or cross to gain some space, right? An early cross is almost always possible if you have enough space b/t you and the opposing defender. Charge halfway, press R2 when the foot hits the ball. Done.

The slide tackling is terrible as for some reason konami have ignored the number one referee rule of getting the ball before the player. Your own player starts to fall to the floor before the defender has touched the ball and in some cases your player can be fully on the floor before the defender touches it and its not a foul. Its pathetically bad.

Tackling their player however is a lot more difficult. It often feels like there is an invisible wall between your player and the opposition. Pressing the tackle button furociously often does nothing but cause a foul. If they put you under pressure it usually causes a stumble animation and they get the ball easily.

It has been discussed numerous times that PES 2010 has shameful refereeing. Pass on this one because I agree with only this one point.

If you do get a pass away in acres of space to allow for the animation its often slow and intercepted as your own player stands routed to the spot. When you do lose posession it takes ages to get the ball back as the opposition plays pinball football and its impossible to get the ball back until they get into the last third where thankfully the computer is crap.

I'm pretty sure this has been changed since 2008 and on, but passing without R2 held down is defaulted to one touch passing. Every time I pass using R2, the ball is played to your teammate's foot instead of beyond him.

The technique and responses have been lowered to school boy level as a fast ball just hits the players anywhere and bounces off until it slows down and someone can control it. When there is a loose ball for some reason your player cant sprint to it for a couple of seconds. Youll be holding the sprint button as hard as you can (sometimes drawing blood) and the player will just jog towards it. So annoying.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. 2010 has a huge emphasis on timing and the first touch, so players without high technique will obviously have a harder time controlling a high speed ball. Doesn't that make sense to you? Also when players are "locked" in a run, it takes 2-3 quick presses of R1 to break the player out of the "rails", so to speak.

This also happens with a chipped through ball as it seems like the computer holds your player back till the ball is in a controllable position. By the time this happens youve been cought by the opposing defender and tackled. Ive scored ONE goal from a player running onto a chipped through ball. Ive also had TWO penalties in over a 100 games with at least 10 sliding fouls on my players where the ball was not touched AT ALL not being given.

Chipped thru balls with pace have been changed so that you have to press R2 as the foot contacts the ball along with the initial L1 + Triangle combination. Wow, referees must really bite your bird.

Im not even going to speak about the terrible keepers and rubbish referee card decisions as they have been in every pes. Im not sour because i cant play the game, in fact ive lost 1 game and only play on top player but it doesnt stop the game from being consistantly the most annoying pes ive played.

Maybe the next PES should just implement Pierluigi Collina as your only referee so you can have the fairest game possible. I really didn't know it bothered people this much.

Rant over. I dont know if anyone will read this but to me its the most annoying pes ever and as a lifelong PES fan i may finally go to fifa. They at least understand the main referee rules of the game. :CONFUSE: ... but you can get barged off the ball from behind at full speed without any whistles whatsoever...

Last edited:

I actually think it really is, never have I stopped playing the game after ~ 2months and what you mentioned in your post is a multitude of game breaking symptoms the game suffers.

I've often debated with my brother whether PES'10 is in fact THE worst of the series and i think it really is a toss up between PES'08 & this one. I think PES 08 was shocking but for it's time it was playable, barely ... but at least I got abt 5-6 months before I completely retired it. PES 2010 has extraordinary issues and for it's time it is a real gaming throwback and the improvements needed to get it out of the proverbial are so drastic I doubt it'll ever be return to form. However, it being termed "back on track/back on form" worries me greatly as it seems like this football gaming misery's end is far far off, if ever.

Read your whole post & all the points you mentioned I concur with probably 100%

stopped reading after this :

"For examply if your running down the wing with a defender on the inside of you its almost impossible to do anything but lose the ball. A pass is blocked out because the computer knows youve pressed pass and if you try to turn in any direction the computer knows your going to do this and stops instantly and tackles you. Its so unrealistic."

yeah , completly unrealistic.

we all know that on real matchs , if the defender running with the ball asks to his opponnent " can i run the ball all the way and cross ? please " , the other team will not try to take the ball from him.

its way completly unrealistic that the cpu tries to avoid you from running and crossing the ball... it should be like previous PES where you could score 10 goals in 10 minutes with just one player, well , like in real life ! ( sarcasm obviously )

this is not a great PES release , 2010. sure , but its not by being of track , its because of the unfinished state / absurd bugs , like referees and etc.

to play vs cpu is to get cheated, since pes 6.

so whats the point of this posting ?
nothin new...

pes08 was crap, gameplay was so bad
pes09 compared to pes2010 feels like actua soccer or cheap arcade football titles, cmon ...

they finally need to stop this cpu interventions n cheating and let the good ball physique play for the game, never had anything like u said before pes 6, cant remember 5 but 4 n 3 were absolutely ping pong free n good refs no cpu cheating..

i concentrate on gameplay and what players do on one one situations, for this if you have played pes 2009 for a little while there are times when you need to use your technique not just go pass the player like a bulldozer

in pes09 u pass by 1v1s like a frikin maniac with high speed cutbacks and super fast movements, completely not real...

now u need timing, good technique players and skill by urself to know the effective dribblings/tricks and do em
if u just run by like a bulldozer thats ur problem :TTTH:

tbh players like messi etc are still to fast with the ball lol
but they were that in 09 also, so there wasnt a need to dribble with such players too

edit:
but hey..what can i expect from an aussie
:p

Last edited:
hehe thanks for that proud to be an aussie :)

well, i think its the closest thing to reality i mean when i finish my game and look at the stats it reflects my effort in the game, close dribbling, long passes, shots are very neat i can never do these things in pes 2010, pes 6 was faster if i can remember with gameplay, konami did try to slow the game with motion capture but it is now a very robotic game example, when you run with messi you can clearly see this its obvious that the runs are vertical or horizontal, pes 2009 is the finished game in my opinion, you can also slow the game down with patchers

well iv been playing pes for the last ten years or so i have investigated every pes series in depth all i can say is if you wanna have fun with besiktas and keep the gameplay you should play pes 2009

i dont agree mate,i cant believe u think the game play of pes 09 is better than pes 6,for me pes 10 is better than 9 but pes6 is the best,very realistic,Pes 8/9 and the 10 are too fast, the players are running like they are on the ice,keepers sucks,when u play vs friends,most games are like 4-4,5-5,6-6,its very easy to score and if u tell me about the graphics are much better because some people play new games just because of their graphics then i would say that Pes6 still have good graphics with latest patches,here some screenshots taken by me...

dopb48.jpg

2wdvn5y.jpg

2rd8zuv.jpg

2zox1dz.jpg

Download Pes7 patch and try it then i will talk to u again...:):BYE:

Last edited:
fully agreed with the thread starter.. I dont need to lay a paragraph to tell my feelings, I simply dont like the game.. and since 2003; it was the first time I've bought a fifa game, fifa2010 on ps3 and I'm currently trying to learn playing it.. PES2010 is actually THAT boring..

hehe thanks for that proud to be an aussie :)

well, i think its the closest thing to reality i mean when i finish my game and look at the stats it reflects my effort in the game, close dribbling, long passes, shots are very neat i can never do these things in pes 2010, pes 6 was faster if i can remember with gameplay, konami did try to slow the game with motion capture but it is now a very robotic game example, when you run with messi you can clearly see this its obvious that the runs are vertical or horizontal, pes 2009 is the finished game in my opinion, you can also slow the game down with patchers

compare messi etc. 09 n 010..same annoyong super fast with the ball
thats why i said its too fast
but most of the players in 010 u cant do that,in 09 u can do this unreal fast turnings etc. with almost anyone on the pitch..it just doesnt feel right..
like all previous titles i playd on the pc, game is goin in the right direction, just with the wrong engine lol, or wrong approach(too much is done by the cpu)

010 maybe seem more robotic in the way that noone cant dribble so they just pick messi and run, but pes 09 is more robotic in the dribblings wich are bad, too fast and too effective

imagine online if i do a superb long through pass, its amazin this year, it can win the whole match
edit: more annoying is the shit community online, little ugly bastard kids abusing language and destroying anything lol, 2008 destroyed so much community wise..

Last edited:
I get frustrated too, but hey - it's a game. I just enjoy the game.

Some of the points I agree with the thread starter. But one thing that hasn't been mentioned, is that you can manually solve most of the problems in the first post using Super Cancel (R1 + R2).

I run towards the ball with R1 + R2; I defend with R1 + R2; etc.

Through pass (the Y button) is a pain, but the normal pass button (A) sometimes work like a through pass button. It's also a matter of setting up the right team strategies and team styles. That's why certain teams have certain strategies, that only work for them. I play with Arsenal and using the A button, I can play pinball against the computer.

As for the dribbling on the wing - that's why players like C. Ronaldo are famous (though I don't like him that much). In my opinion, a good winger requires a lot of skill and speed. When playing PES, a good PES player also requires a lot of skill and good reactions. Try this - if you don't think you can't outrun the defender, stop and pass the ball to someone else. I dunno much, but at least I can keep possession by doing that.

As for sliding tackles - in PES 6 and PES 2009, I slide a lot and successfully too. But in PES 2010, 7 out of 10 times I got the ball back without a sliding tackle. Try anticipating where the CPU player is going or passing just like the way the computer "knows" where your player is going or passing. And if you watch a game in real life - most possession changes are due to a misplaced pass or a nice, non-sliding tackle.

Penalties suck. That's all I can say.

But hey, overall, it's not bad. Just hope that PES 2011 is better.

this game requires a football mind, a gift to read the game and the players, the movements...
most just cant dig in....
a lot of "good" players from 09 are bad now online and cry and delete their profiles every 2 weeks but nothin is changin..coz they just dont have it..

this game requires a football mind, a gift to read the game and the players, the movements...
most just cant dig in....
a lot of "good" players from 09 are bad now online and cry and delete their profiles every 2 weeks but nothin is changin..coz they just dont have it..

I totally agree, the game engine thinks and works in a football way, while most of people think and work in a "i want to run and dribble all the time and score, why pc do not let me do it like in pes 09 (which i still enjoyed, but not when it was about the too easy dribbling system)" way.
I think that this is what makes goals in pes2010 a big satisfication, because you have to think what to do, and at same time it still can happen that just a good run or dribble in direction of the goalkeeper can work. Exactly like in a normal match.

sorry; but playing VS CPU, my strikers are being murdered inside the box and the referee waves play on.. it's clearly a bug and it has nothing to do with a football mind.. many patches and DLC's were released and not a single one corrected that..

after having an unsatisfactory experience with fifa2001 and fifa2002, I've left fifa series with fifa2003 thanks to the "heading bug" on pc.. now I've enjoyed pes2008 and pes2009 but that latest 2010 was more than enough for me..

I totally agree, the game engine thinks and works in a football way, while most of people think and work in a "i want to run and dribble all the time and score, why pc do not let me do it like in pes 09 (which i still enjoyed, but not when it was about the too easy dribbling system)" way.
I think that this is what makes goals in pes2010 a big satisfication, because you have to think what to do, and at same time it still can happen that just a good run or dribble in direction of the goalkeeper can work. Exactly like in a normal match.

exactly.

this is a game for football fans, not "computer games fans" that just want hack and slash ( this case , running and shooting )

the direction the game is taking is very very good. that said, it really suffers from bugs ( biggest one being the referees )

in terms of pure gameplay , i would just add an option for close control. much like what R2 does , but slower and complete 360 degrees control ( notice while in R2 , if you change direction , the player starts running again )

currently there is no diference from R2 and just running withough pressing the direction key ( when you are running and lift your finger from the running direction , it does the R2 motion and then stops )

i would make the R2 button do a very close control, almost like walking but with very good first touch and reaction. ( of course , most first touch control would only be available to some players ... heh like maicon's great goal this week )

exactly.

in terms of pure gameplay , i would just add an option for close control. much like what R2 does , but slower and complete 360 degrees control ( notice while in R2 , if you change direction , the player starts running again )

currently there is no diference from R2 and just running withough pressing the direction key ( when you are running and lift your finger from the running direction , it does the R2 motion and then stops )

i would make the R2 button do a very close control, almost like walking but with very good first touch and reaction. ( of course , most first touch control would only be available to some players ... heh like maicon's great goal this week )

You might want to try tapping R2 as foot of the player you're controlling contacts the ball. It allows an even greater turning radius than using the analog stick without R2 to turn the ball.

ai wise, I wish they just took the defensive engine from PES5 and rest of the gameplay from PES6. Then improve the graphics, animations and penalty shootout = pretty much "perfect" football game.

That will never happen though. PES2010 isn't great (at least when compared to PES5 and 6) but still much better than laughable 2008.

I don't know why people are obsessed with the eyecandy... and why does that game have to be "new"? Why not simply play the best one? If you want to play the best football game, simply play PES5 or 6. It's that simple. Yes, you have to tolerate a bit old fashioned graphics but who really cares... at the end of the day it's gameplay that matters in the long run. At least for me.

exactly.

this is a game for football fans, not "computer games fans" that just want hack and slash ( this case , running and shooting )

the direction the game is taking is very very good. that said, it really suffers from bugs ( biggest one being the referees )

Sprinting is all wrong on this game as players can sprint from one end of the pitch to the other with out ever getting tired or taking a break to catch thier breath.

and i agree the dribbling could be more tighter, it seems like they still dribble in 8 stiff directions and is especially tedious in the box or by the touchline.

Defending at times feels slippery slidy when holding down the R2 button (or in my case, R1 as i use the Trigger to sprint) not to mention it doesn't help when the computer drags your defender away from the attacker or the ball

sorry; but playing VS CPU, my strikers are being murdered inside the box and the referee waves play on.. it's clearly a bug and it has nothing to do with a football mind.. many patches and DLC's were released and not a single one corrected that..

well yes, bugs are bugs...
dont put it all in one pool..

Back
Top Bottom