PES 2011 Konami community day - 22nd July - Q&A

Mart

Executive Janitor
Staff
28 February 2002
NYC
Darlington FC
If there's no answer or nothing noted then I don't have the info this time, sorry! There's a lot to take in when you have a few hours with a game.

Ball physics
1- Spin on shots - variety of ball flight etc.
I didn't see a big variety on shots in terms of top spin etc. There were some low hard shots, though.

2- General
Improved in terms of feeling more like a ball on grass instead of glass.

3- Cross field balls - raking
Nothing really pinged when I tried it, still a little floaty - this could be design to a certain extent to prevent the passes being too powerful in terms of game balance.

Controls
1- Player responsiveness.
No problems for the most part and an improvement on 2010.

2- Analogue stick and 360° control
Felt very good and there were no obvious stages of turning. Ball and players reacted to the controls as you'd expect.

3- Headers, whether they're power bar based, so we can choose to over or under hit.
Power bar based but still timing as well, something to practice.

4- New tricks system - ease of execution/combos
Very easy to execute but executing them doesn't necessarily mean beating a man - still requires timing and a surprise element to beat a defender.

5- Defensive controls and balance with new tricks
The new defensive "hold up play" move hadn't been fully implemented so unable to comment on that but defending in general against dribbling/tricks seemed fine in terms of jockeying etc.

6- Controlling throw-ins
Easy enough to control the throw direction and strength.

7- One touch passing with new passing system
Requires more precision with the aiming so there didn't seem to be an easy :x:, :x:, :x: route to sharp passing.

8- R2 use and its effect
Feels as you'd expect, slows the dribble etc. and benefits from the improved 360° control and animations.

9- Double square button lob
Not on by default and didn't have access to the button settings to check if it was available.

10- Gentle jog option?
Nothing special noted.

11- Controller vibration
None in this version.

Mechanics
1- Free kicks - natural feel/execution success
Felt pretty good and an improvement on 2010 - a couple were scored against me one due to the keeper and one nice one.

2- Penalty system - variety of techniques/shooting styles - same as 2010?
Currently the same as PES2010 though likely to change in some way - the camera angle is likely to stay as 2010.

3- Player switching
Same as 2010.

4- Physicality
Nothing noted.

5- Momentum
Nothing looked out of place.

6- Crossing options/control
Nowhere to check the options available but 1, 2, 3 :circle: button presses worked and the direction seemed to allow you to choose the area to cross to.

7- Volleying - positioning player
Seemed to be better in terms of volley or header selection but nothing more noted.

8- GK's rushing out for 1-1s, whether they rush out covering the goal or at a wrong angle stupidly leaving the goal wide open.
Keepers still WIP, sometimes they rushed as you'd expect others very much not.

9- Shot/cross fake - like PES2010 or old PES
Like 2010.

10- Quick free-kicks
None were taken. I only saw the players take up positions for a quick free kick a couple of times and either I was too slow or they just didn't work.

11- Kick feint - e.g fake a powerful cross but tap it a different direction
Nothing noted.

Tactics
1- Set piece options
Same as 2010.

2- Use of attackers to defend set pieces
No option to set this and seemed to be the same as always.

3- Nominate players to guard goalposts
No.

4- Number of players that can be sent up for a set play e.g. limit of 3?
Limit of 3.

5- Number of players in defensive wall (no default limits)
Still limited but didn't get chance to check the extremes.

Player attributes
1- Accuracy and power of passing and how stat-based they are.
Good passers are better at reacting quickly to your button pushes in terms of first time passes and getting the combination of power and direction you requested.

2- Shooting with the wrong foot, how accurate it is for players with low wrong foot accuracy.
Didn't get chance to test directly but I did notice Van Persie taking a couple of shots with his right foot - they were on target but easily saved.

3- New tricks system - differences in line with players' technical attributes
All players could perform the tricks albeit good dribblers would do it more quickly. Defenders unlikely to during a game if there's an attacker nearby.

4- Stamina - speed/accuracy/dribbling affected by overuse of sprinting
Didn't directly test but didn't notice a drop in terms of ball attributes. Each player does have what I think is a sprint bar above them.

Animations
1- Contextual with ball e.g. matches ball movement/power
Only a few rough edges - for the most part the animations matched the player's momentum and the ball's trajectory.

2- Contextual without ball e.g. reacts correctly to challenges/momentum
Nothing in particular noted so was OK.

3- Fluidity e.g. linked correctly/whether there are frame skips to kick a ball a certain way
Again, seemed good.

4- Goalkeepers e.g. floating and animations in general
The animations seemed OK although they didn't always try the right kind of save for the situation and no floating noticed but I expect it to improve as the keepers' ability is tweaked.

5- Volleying - player positioning
Nothing noted.

6- Shift the ball out of player's feet animation
Nothing noted.

7- Slipping for bad timing
A few players did fall over as a result of attempting some dribbling they weren't capable of (not the new tricks system). Not sure if any did as a result of missing a kick.

AI
1- Defending new trick system
Jockeying was OK but I'm hoping the "hold up play" defensive move will help. The tricks didn't seem overpowered but some times it did seem too easy for a pacy attacker to skip by the challenges.

2- Goalkeepers in general
50% of the time they were very poor - confirmed as WIP.

3- Defenders come up for corners
Nothing special noted - as 2010 as far as I could tell.

4- Defensive pressing/variety of defensive styles between teams
Only played a few games against the AI and the pressing seemed to consistently come from midfield and defence only. The difficulty level was set somewhere in the middle though so this felt about right with that in mind.

5- AI controlled defenders on human team - defend properly or cover empty space
Still seemed to cover empty space. To cover a run properly I still had to try and take control of that defender and press with someone else.

6- Reading a human player's controller instead of the player on the pitch's movements
Didn't notice anything at this difficulty level.

7- Awareness of loose balls especially after being tackled etc.
In general seemed OK but I still think this is an area that should be improved.

8- Doing things for the player e.g. auto defence, auto header
Only noticed this when for whatever reason I didn't have control of the player with the ball.

9- Goalkeepers save selection e.g. parrying instead of catching
I did see a few parries back out straight ahead of them instead of a better choice. Keepers still being worked on though.

10- Noticeable difference in attacking styles between teams e.g. use of possession
Not particularly though I expect default playing styles to improve as team etc. are finalised.

11- Players receiving through balls e.g. Do they slow down?
Yes.

12- Competing off the ball for corners etc.
Only seemed to happen between the two players competing directly for the ball.

13- AI cheats
Nothing noted.

14- Throw-ins e.g. bias for CPU teams?
Pretty poor in general. Frequently the team defending the throw-in ended up with possession due to how easy it is to mark closely. I wouldn't put this down to CPU bias at present though as it seemed pretty even.

Other match factors
1- Referees decisions/advantage rule
Offside decisions were sometimes held back if the defending team had decent possession. I did see free-kicks given a few times instead of playing on - not due to a card either. The referees are WIP.

2- Penalties given against AI vs human
Nothing noted - none given in the few games played to either side.

3- Camera angle for normal penalties
As 2010.

4- Player switching options
Unassisted, Semi-Assisted, Assisted. No gradual scale.

5- Dynamic crowds in relation to match e.g. home/away fans
Beyond the sounds of the crowd - favouring the home team and relative silence if the away team scored nothing noticed. Only exhibition modes in this demo.

6- Graphics - players using base layers?
None noticed.

7- Match stats - still in metres?
The stats screen wasn't available after the match.

Nets
1- Nets
Look fake and react OK. Possibly slightly better than 2010.

Questions
1- How has momentum been implemented?
2- How has physicality been implemented?

Questions - outside match engine or mechanics
1- Real league structures for ML?
Offline ML is likely to be the same as last year due to the development of online.

2- How will the stadium editor work? - number of stadiums, net shapes/patterns
Nets aren't editable. Quite a few combinations of stands, pitch textures etc. which can be defined separately. Picture import for stadium graphics.

3- Penalty system e.g. additional animations/variety of run-ups
Unlikely to be different except for fitting in with the newer animations. There is likely to be a tweak to the mechanics of the current system but largely the same.

4- Dynamic wear and tear on the pitches?
No dynamic weather due to the focus on getting the gameplay right this time around. I didn't see any wear and tear during the games but the weather was fixed as fine.

5- How many unlicenced teams will there be available for us to edit?
Not confirmed.

6- Will the kit mapping stay the same?
Not confirmed - edit mode was locked out and Jon couldn't confirm the extent of the options available.

7- Any plans for a new J-League version or prospect of incorporating it into PES?
Sorry - forgot to ask this one.

8- Number of slots for editing kits, emblems, logos, chants, music library etc?
See answer to 6.

9- Will updates mess up the option file in terms of edited items?
Not confirmed either way.

10- Poland - National team licensed and number of club teams?
Not confirmed and licenses in general still being added.

11- Online - Improvements to network code?
Meant to be improved but can't say more than that at present.

12- What are the planned online modes?
Online ML I think is the only new one.

Theft
1- Steal the game disc
I didn't do this in the hope we'd still be invited to things in the future.

So, again, sorry if your question wasn't directly addressed but as I'm sure you can imagine time was limited and playing the game was the focus in the limited demo we had.

Just as a final note these are nothing more than my own honest opinions and may differ to other people's. Such is life. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Theft
1- Steal the game disc
I didn't do this in the hope we'd still be invited to things in the future.

Ahah.

Nice write up. Just a question Mart, do you know those edit mode/stadium editor infos for sure, did Jon told you that, did you see any proof of it?

• Staff
Ahah.

Nice write up. Just a question Mart, do you know those edit mode/stadium editor infos for sure, did Jon told you that, did you see any proof of it?

I've removed that bit actually, should wait for confirmation on edit mode, sorry!

It's a bit of both actually, I'm not 100% on the facts as it was just something spoken about and proper confirmation will follow later.

EDIT: Don't get me into trouble! :)

NOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Thanks for this and the write up.

Annoyed that most of the main gripes I have with 2010 are still not addressed but the rest of the game sounds like an improvement.

One random other question...
How was the atmosphere of the games with the crowd noise and did they react the the on pitch action more?

9- Shot/cross fake - like PES2010 or old PES
Like 2010.

:SHOCK: This is ridiculous ! What are they thinking...
avgn2.gif

2- How will the stadium editor work? - number of stadiums, net shapes/patterns

...so you're saying we can change net shapes & patterns???

...thought it might have been, but as he didn't answer it, I just wanted to check.

Back
Top Bottom