PES 2013 BAL: the fawlty towers - spinal tap thread

gerd

Retired Footballer
8 January 2002
Over the moon
KRC Genk, Spurs
Maybe this thread will only have one post, but currently my 12 year old daughter is passionately playing a totally absurd BAL carreer. What happens to her is so absurd that it reminds me of Fawlty Towers or Spinal Tap: a grotesque parody of what a decent mode should be. If you have similar experiences, please post them here and maybe somebody can help my daughter.

This is also some sort of tribute to her perserverance/stubborness for not giving up on her game (i've adviced her to start a carreer in FIFA 13, but she will not give up).

She created a player: a Belgian AMF. She knew she would start the game with one of the fake teams in the PES League, but she didn't mind. Her aim was to be recruted by one of her two favourite teams Anderlecht or Chelsea.

Tghe beginning of her carreer is pretty realistic. She was on the bench and came in as a sub. But after a while it became clear that her player was becomming something of a super sub: he often scored decisive goals and became time after time man of the match.
After a while one would think that this managerof her would start thinking to let her start a game or two. He never did. At the mid-season break she was top scorer and she started to look out for another team. After a search she found out that Cagliari and Fiorentina were both clubs that would have suited her, but both clubs snubbed her. On came the second part of the season. Her team ended second in the PES League and won the PES Cup. As an eternal substitue she scored 35 goals in the league, was named man of the match 13 times, and in the Cup she was top scorer, top assister and player of the tournament. She was also in the team of the season (having only one other team mate who made it in the team of the season).
Now there is a feature in BAL where you can see where you are on the choice ranking of the manager for a particular place in the team. For AMF, she neve rwas mentioned among the top 3 or top 5 (don't remember if it's a top 3 or top 5). She gets mentioned as the number one GK however...

She hoped that things would get better in her second season. Once again she couldn't find a transfer to another team so she decided to stick it out. Surely her manager would pick her after her first good season (and isn't good an understatement?). Yesterday she finished her second season and here this becomes a complete joke. She played all the friendlies throughout the season and was each and every time she played man of the match. Yet she didn't play a second in a single competitive match. The most absurd thing is that despite that, she has become a regular of the national team in her second season. She played in every single match the national team played in her second season. She played instead of ordinary players like Hazard, Fellaini and Dembélé...

At the beginning of her second season, she (or her player) got two offers from other fake teams. When she went looking at the clubs offer, this stated that she had 53% chance to start games, but that she was "ineligible"...she asked what that means and i told her that i think it means that she can't play for some mysterious reason... She said that she would take the gamble and move clubs...

We'll see what happens.
Is she doing something wrong, or is this mode totally broken? Knowing Konami, i think i know what it is...

What is the point of having a carreer mode when you never can play a second for an entire season?

I have been playing BAL for a while now, and all i can say is that such things happens at random. You can get a perfectly working file in which your BAL mode works without problems or strange things, and then you can get a file in which no matter what you do, it seems your coach avoids you like plague. I think its again a problem of lazy betatesting, and its not only with pes 2013, already with 2012 version i had this problem. My advise is to just start a new BAL file hoping this time it will work smoothly. One more advise is to play as a more difficult level, cause i noticed that the higher the level, the less are the chances to get such strange things to happen

Quick question. On anyone else's BAL file, do all teammate and opposition players wear plain PES boots? Or is my file just faulty? I hope to Christ it's the latter...

Quick question. On anyone else's BAL file, do all teammate and opposition players wear plain PES boots? Or is my file just faulty? I hope to Christ it's the latter...

I didnt notice cause honestly i cant care less about boots. But considering i win a new pair everytime i get a Man of the Match reward, i suppose the same apply for other players too.
My real question is: nowdays is it really so important that every single player wears correct boots? Do pes players really look at such things when they play football? Or they try to focus on winning the match instead? Even the excuse of the stats boosting do not work for me, cause stat boosting was already there on pes 2012, with the difference that boots were already assigned. Sometimes i feel that people really cares too much about graphic and do not really play the game.
No offence to anyone of course, just my own modest opinion

By the way gerd, to confirm you that not every BAL carreer is messed up, i can tell you i finished my first season in the J-League on a patch i made myself, and it was a pretty nice first year. I got contracted by Kawasaki Frontale and since the J-League substitute the default We League, we have chance to qualify for the Copa Libertadores. The beginning of the season was very good, we some pretty good performances against european teams in friendly pre-season matches, but then the first official match in the Emperor Cup was a fisco as we lost on penalties on the first round against Kashiwa Reysol (the only one that didnt score the penalty was exactly me :COAT:).
But then in the J-League i got used much more to how to play in my position (Striker) and we actually won the J-League. It was very good cause i could see that despite the fact i was the best player of the team in terms of goal scored, all the team played good quality football. The only thing that really got me mad is that the coach didnt let me play on the second last match of the season, in which we won the league, so it was quite strange for me to not be able to see the celebrations for the League Champions (since i wasnt even benched). Anyway, winning the League secure us a spot into the Copa Libertadores Group Stage, so i decided to renew the contract with them, hoping that South American teams wont be too good for my team.
So as you can see, the only strange thing that really happened to my BAL file is the fact i wasnt picked up for that important match, for the rest, it was a very normal fun season to play. On what level your daughter plays? Just curious

I didnt notice cause honestly i cant care less about boots. But considering i win a new pair everytime i get a Man of the Match reward, i suppose the same apply for other players too.
My real question is: nowdays is it really so important that every single player wears correct boots? Do pes players really look at such things when they play football? Or they try to focus on winning the match instead? Even the excuse of the stats boosting do not work for me, cause stat boosting was already there on pes 2012, with the difference that boots were already assigned. Sometimes i feel that people really cares too much about graphic and do not really play the game.
No offence to anyone of course, just my own modest opinion

I do. From a distance I can pick out Ronaldinho by his ponytail, his stature, his dress style (shirt, sleeves, gloves, etc), and his blue Tiempos. Ditto with Iniesta and his bright yellow Nikes, Messi's F50s, etc. All I can say is that aesthetics are another aspect of realism. Just as you'd want the gameplay to be the best it can be, player likeness is also vitally important for an immersive experience.

Just to clarify; if for one reason or another Konami didn't have these licenses then I could deal with that. I'd be disappointed but that's the sports gaming industry and I've been playing these gamers for 15 years now. What irritates me is that they now have more licenses than ever but, thanks to some carelessness, they're now completely useless in the major game modes. They've unnecessarilly sacrificed a huge aesthetic aspect of the game for a feature that only marginally affects the gameplay, one that can logically only effect a small number of stats and only slightly at that. This is just typical of Konami imo.

What irritates me the most is that, as trivial as this feature is, I thinks it's been implemented quite well (for BAL at least).

Konami smh. So frustrating.

I'm gonna cool off this game for a couple of weeks then stick it out. I just hope they can patch it.

BTW do you have a PS3 link to your J-League patch or do you play on PC?

Last edited:
BTW do you have a PS3 link to your J-League patch or do you play on PC?

I play it on PC, i prefer to play pes on PC exactly cause its easier to create full leagues just by copying them from other patches all over the world. In fact in my personal patch i have the J-League and to Polish Ekstraklasa, one copied from the DUAL PATCH made by kyra and the other copied from a polish website.

@gerd Then the fact she plays on normal explains a lot of things. As i told you on my first post, crazy things happens more often on lower levels, like if the CPU wants to balance the fact that you can score more easly. When she gets used to play on normal, let her play on Professional. And advise her to start in south america, so that she will play in teams of the We League (since from what i guessed, she plays with a clean pes, no patches and default leagues). Teams in that league are crappy so she can get used to play on professional quite quickly and then after a couple of seasons she can try to play in a better league in europe

Back
Top Bottom