PES 2014 Appreciation Thread

I think where Pes 2014 goes wrong is the lifeless keepers, the crazy amount of catch up and being able to out muscle literally anyone with any player using the right stick shoulder shield. It's still the best Pes until 2020. Especially with some of the mods in the day. 2020 with gameplay mods is better, but honestly not by much. Which is a shame.

And let's not forget 2014 released totally broken. I can't even remember the amount of stuff that was just horrible. It was a rushed release and after it Konami quickly went back to making arcade soccer games. And quite succesfully might I add. People really loved NHL Pes 2015 players on ice release. So, let's not fool ourselves. Most Pes players don't want any realism in their games.

Im just watching youtube videos and whoaaa this was the PES that had that weird opera music at the beginning....

Im almost sure this game had scripting... Im surprised the comments say its fair, maybe my memory is deceiving me or there were many more problems back then as I didnt play all patches. I know I havent been able to do a ML in PES since who knows when because of this.

It's been a long time since I appreciated a football game,but right now this one ticks my boxes for sure.

There's a real nice flow to this game,takes a bit of skill to get around defenders and plan your attacks

I'm on professional right now and PA1 which feels really good,reminds me off PA0 on Pes 17-18.

Stuff that happens here in games just haven't been seen in a long time in PES.
Just finished a Coppa Italia game Vs Avellino (Serie B) which i beat 3-0.
Game was surprisingly tight at times,tough to break down for the first 25-30 min.
Then i had a few dangerous free kicks outside their box,one led to a penalty after some scramble in their box.
When was the last time I had a pen?
Probably on Pes 17 (even there very rarely)

They actually came back pretty good when o backed down and had 3-4 good chances.
Put the game to bed late second half with two goals.

So free kicks+pen+sending off.
But what feels and looks the best?
It acctually looks like football.
Might do a restart with a carefully selected team.
This is really fun!

Im just watching youtube videos and whoaaa this was the PES that had that weird opera music at the beginning....

Im almost sure this game had scripting... Im surprised the comments say its fair, maybe my memory is deceiving me or there were many more problems back then as I didnt play all patches. I know I havent been able to do a ML in PES since who knows when because of this.
That weird opera music is also in Pes 20 somewhere.
It caught my ear playing it

I ended up downloading the demo. The game looks pretty good for being from '13. I had a couple of games. maybe its because I have been playing '18 lately, but man I can def feel the heaviness.... I tried to shoot and don't know if it was the animation or the lag but it was pretty much some slow motion 2 second thing....

The animations look great.I had trouble scoring goals, AI defense was putting up a fight in TP but then again I was playing like more recent games where the reaction times are faster. Seems there is much more midfield. Will give it a few more tries.... right now it seems it played better in youtube than in my controller.

sorry @Madmac79, i didn't mean weird, I meant weirdly beautiful and weirdly out of place in a soccer game.

I ended up downloading the demo. The game looks pretty good for being from '13.
The lagginess and heaviness you mention was worked on in the later patches - the demo and release versions aren't great in comparison.

Not that the fully patched version is the best game ever made - I'm aware I'm waxing lyrical. But as a Prem team, I beat a Championship team 5-0 in the FA Cup earlier, on Superstar, and that alone put a smile on my face. Try that on PES 2020. They'll practically eat you alive.

Can we buy this digital still (on PC)? I can't seem to find it..
I think, if you don't already own it, it may prove very difficult to get hold of through legal means. From what I remember, Konami stop selling last year's games pretty quickly on PC.

Input lag doesn't feel worse than 20 tbh.

I find that hard to believe, really.

I haven't played PES 2014 since, well, 2014, but I remember it being literally unplayable because of the input lag. Tried it on both PC and PS3, tried it on multiple displays, with all the possible V-sync/game mode/triple-buffering permutations I could possibly think of, and it was just broken. Couldn't even pull off first-time passes and shots half the time (edit: I just watched the TrueBrits video in the first post, and that goal at 5:52 is exactly what I remembered the game being like)

Last edited:
I haven't played PES 2014 since, well, 2014, but I remember it being literally unplayable because of the input lag. Tried it on both PC and PS3, tried it on multiple displays, with all the possible V-sync/game mode/triple-buffering permutations I could possibly think of, and it was just broken. Couldn't even pull off first-time passes and shots half the time (edit: I just watched the TrueBrits video in the first post, and that goal at 5:52 is exactly what I remembered the game being like)
It was almost unplayable at release. Got much better at the latest patches.

I find that hard to believe, really.

It's not the same game on release and patched.
And I'm comparing my ML gameplay Vs 20s ML,which is bad as hell.
My Milan on Pes 20 has a TS of 64,and are so hard to controll, nevermind a super fast CPU making your team feel even more hard to controll

Are there any patches for PC about. At this point I'm pretty much open to installing anything that will let me play a semi decent game of football.

Are there any patches for PC about. At this point I'm pretty much open to installing anything that will let me play a semi decent game of football.
Best thing you can do is:

> Download all the DPs and patches in one from here (but don't apply them yet)

> Take your pick of the patches...

(The easiest to install is Fire Patch, which has loads of faces, stadiums and is updated to the 14/15 season. It is also compatible with the final update, 1.16, and DP7 which contains the World Challenge / Road to World Cup mode.)

USE THE FOLLOWING LINKS FOR INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS ONLY (NOT FOR DOWNLOADING)

>> Fire Patch 2014 AIO 6.0
>> PES Galaxy 2014 3.0 (with this bonus stadium pack)
>> PESEdit 4.4

For PESEdit 4.4, you need to extract each DP in order and then stop at 6.0 - because it doesn't support 7.0 (and doesn't come with an EXE that can even access the content in there, i.e. the Road to World Cup style mode).

The others support 7.0. (Also, you shouldn't need to bother with the updated EXEs as each patch should come with its own. But, always read the instructions!)

USE THE FOLLOWING LINKS TO DOWNLOAD YOUR CHOSEN PATCH

Fire Patch 2014 Datapack Installer
(Only download one of these links)

Fire Patch 2014 6.0 AIO + 6.1 Update Installer

PESGalaxy 2014 3.0 Installer
(Download one set, then the fix at the end, and the optional stadium pack)

UPTOBOX

SHAREMODS

MIRRORED.TO

PESGalaxy 2014 3.0 Fix Installer

PESGalaxy 2014 Stadium Pack
(Download one set)

UPTOBOX

SHAREMODS

MIRRORED.TO

PESEdit 4.4 Installer

Away you go.

Last edited:
I ve installed the Fire Patch some time ago and and it works with the world challenge mode. It is a very good patch that also come with a stadium pack. The stadium pack needs a bit of tinkering to be added to the DPfilelist as there is no DF generator for this game I think.
I used this tutorial video to add the stadium pack:

The process is essentially the same for 14. Open the DPfilelist.bin file with a hex editor, copy the line with weird characters (they are different for 14) and paste bellow a line full of dots after the last file name. Bellow the pasted line type or copy paste the name of the ckp you want to add. Edit the hex number of the first line to match the number of ckp you have installed (those are hex numbers so 10 decimal=0A).

The game has a lot of good things indeed but I struggled to find a camera setting that suits me (I am 3rd person cam freak) and the catch up thing is a bit disappointing. I had way more fun playing this yesterday than the two most modern footy game though.
I didn't know about the combination thing, it is really a great added touch. This game really could have been a solid foundation for footy game if konami had stick to this philosophy. I also had a pen in my first game, which I scored. I think I had only a couple of pen with 20, all stopped by the keeper.
This game has a soul that's for sure.

Last edited:
The thing with this game is like all great PES games, You can't play this the same way you play other PES titles. Your habits and techniques won't work, You have to really readjust to this games mechanics and laws and adapt before you understand it's brilliance.

Also how about the classic :r1:+R3 knock on off the ball before a shot or cross, :circle:+:x: to feint a dropkick with your keeper or even the L3 + R3 trick stick that worked so simple and effectively here - All absent from PES 2020.

This game a soul that's for sure

Right there mate!
Sums up my feelings when playing this game,I'm so use to play newer games,and they haven't got a soul.
Also it feels like football,all the boxes for a game of football are ticked in.
Doesn't matter if it's a bit unresponsive at time, graphics (PS3) are a bit crap,feels and looks like football to me.

Still playing and still really enjoying it - considering switching to a DP7-compatible patch. I might even take a leaf out of @MafiaMurderBag's book and do some kind of "Road to World Cup" YouTube series, that's how much I'm enjoying it.

I feel like I have to stress that it's not perfect each time I post about it... Catch-up is a big issue, dribbling isn't fluid, and although it's far more responsive than it was at release it still has moments (especially when trying to defend). For example, when you try to press someone and the animations are such big, slow strides in the directions you're pushing, that the opponent just walks past you easily.

But you know what other game has that problem? PES 2020. (As I said in the first post, I'm honestly shocked at how little the game has moved on since then - you can "feel" when maneuvering players just how closely related 2014 and 2020 are in certain places.)

The thing I love most is knowing that it's going to be difficult playing tough teams, and easier playing relegation-fodder. That's SUPER basic, right? But neither PES 2020 or FIFA 20 manage this. How weird is that?

I played (as Fulham vs) Norwich, who were at the foot of the table, and before the game I had to rotate the squad (and it's nice to have to do that). I put on a few kids in key positions and I thought to myself, "well we're losing this match for sure".

I scored from a lovely passing move after 15 minutes, then got my LB sent off after 30 minutes, who just didn't quite reach the ball with a lunging tackle. In the modern games, how often do you mistime a tackle? How often do you get a red card yourself? Barely happens. I was really shocked!

I spent the rest of the game defending for my life but even then, they were toothless - until the 80th minute, when I conceded a really harsh penalty. Double-tapped X to tackle and just didn't have the right angle, and ended up tripping their striker.

Thankfully, he blasted it over the bar and we held on to win 1-0 - but all of this stuff feels fresh, and missing from the modern games.

Okay... Of course it will feel different, because it's a game I've not played in ages - like @el niche said on page one, the AI will do "new" things and after a while, those things become just as repetitive as the moves from the modern games.

But that doesn't change the fact that I've been awarded (and have conceded) penalties, I've genuinely not had the scripting kick in (yet), I've been surprised by the AI's movement (both positively in terms of the variety in their decisions, and negatively in terms of the occasional run-out-of-play)...

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it - it's somewhere between classic PES gameplay that's on rails, and modern PES gameplay that has more freedom. It's neither completely stiff nor completely free, with a clear focus on realism and grinding your way up the pitch. Phwoar.

Still playing and still really enjoying it - considering switching to a DP7-compatible patch. I might even take a leaf out of @MafiaMurderBag's book and do some kind of "Road to World Cup" YouTube series, that's how much I'm enjoying it.

I feel like I have to stress that it's not perfect each time I post about it... Catch-up is a big issue, dribbling isn't fluid, and although it's far more responsive than it was at release it still has moments (especially when trying to defend). For example, when you try to press someone and the animations are such big, slow strides in the directions you're pushing, that the opponent just walks past you easily.

But you know what other game has that problem? PES 2020. (As I said in the first post, I'm honestly shocked at how little the game has moved on since then - you can "feel" when maneuvering players just how closely related 2014 and 2020 are in certain places.)

The thing I love most is knowing that it's going to be difficult playing tough teams, and easier playing relegation-fodder. That's SUPER basic, right? But neither PES 2020 or FIFA 20 manage this. How weird is that?

I played (as Fulham vs) Norwich, who were at the foot of the table, and before the game I had to rotate the squad (and it's nice to have to do that). I put on a few kids in key positions and I thought to myself, "well we're losing this match for sure".

I scored from a lovely passing move after 15 minutes, then got my LB sent off after 30 minutes, who just didn't quite reach the ball with a lunging tackle. In the modern games, how often do you mistime a tackle? How often do you get a red card yourself? Barely happens. I was really shocked!

I spent the rest of the game defending for my life but even then, they were toothless - until the 80th minute, when I conceded a really harsh penalty. Double-tapped X to tackle and just didn't have the right angle, and ended up tripping their striker.

Thankfully, he blasted it over the bar and we held on to win 1-0 - but all of this stuff feels fresh, and missing from the modern games.

Okay... Of course it will feel different, because it's a game I've not played in ages - like @el niche said on page one, the AI will do "new" things and after a while, those things become just as repetitive as the moves from the modern games.

But that doesn't change the fact that I've been awarded (and have conceded) penalties, I've genuinely not had the scripting kick in (yet), I've been surprised by the AI's movement (both positively in terms of the variety in their decisions, and negatively in terms of the occasional run-out-of-play)...

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it - it's somewhere between classic PES gameplay that's on rails, and modern PES gameplay that has more freedom. It's neither completely stiff nor completely free, with a clear focus on realism and grinding your way up the pitch. Phwoar.

There is this old tool for the catch-up bug, I haven't tried or tested it. Maybe it's worth a shot?

https://www.pes-patch.com/2014/07/pes14-mini-fix-catchup-removal-tool-by-nesa24.html

It's not the same game on release and patched.
And I'm comparing my ML gameplay Vs 20s ML,which is bad as hell.
My Milan on Pes 20 has a TS of 64,and are so hard to controll, nevermind a super fast CPU making your team feel even more hard to controll

Fair enough, but that video from TrueBrits is recent, which means with all the patches. And it still has the same issues I remember, which he also talks about.

I can't really comment on ML gameplay since I don't play it, but low Team Spirit and CPU cheating isn't really the same thing as input lag. Those problems go away on the newer games if you play friendly games or offline multiplayer, whereas PES 2014 is unresponsive no matter what.

Fair enough, but that video from TrueBrits is recent, which means with all the patches. And it still has the same issues I remember, which he also talks about.

I can't really comment on ML gameplay since I don't play it, but low Team Spirit and CPU cheating isn't really the same thing as input lag. Those problems go away on the newer games if you play friendly games or offline multiplayer, whereas PES 2014 is unresponsive no matter what.
The PES 2014 TTB is playing is the Demo

Ah! I somehow missed that, apologies.

PES 2014 did a lot of things right coming off of 2013 (which is my favorite game in the series). The biggest one I remember was that matches were no longer as end-to-end as they were in 13 and you had to work harder to build passing moves. But it played and controlled like crap: you could see they had the building blocks for a pretty good football game, but it took another few years to smooth it out and get it to a properly good level. I think PES 2017 on PC is effectively an infinitely superior version of the same game.

PES 2014 did a lot of things right coming off of 2013 (which is my favorite game in the series). The biggest one I remember was that matches were no longer as end-to-end as they were in 13 and you had to work harder to build passing moves. But it played and controlled like crap: you could see they had the building blocks for a pretty good football game, but it took another few years to smooth it out and get it to a properly good level.
Yeah, unfortunately I wouldn't recommend Pes 2014 to anyone. It was a really good template, but not quite there. It was the first Pes in the Fox Engine, which shows. The menus are honestly embarrassing to look at, if I remember correctly it has like 10 stadiums cause they lost La Liga licence from Pes 13 and didn't port the other stadiums to Fox Engine. Purely gameplay I guess it's alright. Everything else is so bad though. Just play 2020, gameplay is about as good, and other things are less embarrassing. Not good, but less embarrassing.

Maybe that should be next year's slogan. Pes 2021 "Not good, but less embarrassing than last year" - IGN 10/10

Ah! I somehow missed that, apologies.

PES 2014 did a lot of things right coming off of 2013 (which is my favorite game in the series). The biggest one I remember was that matches were no longer as end-to-end as they were in 13 and you had to work harder to build passing moves. But it played and controlled like crap: you could see they had the building blocks for a pretty good football game, but it took another few years to smooth it out and get it to a properly good level. I think PES 2017 on PC is effectively an infinitely superior version of the same game.
Yeah I never bought Pes 14 on release,acctually bought it a year or so ago,and I remember when starting my retro gaming in the PS3 a year or so ago,I was disappointed with Pes 13,just like you said,end to end,for me Pes 12 was much better.

So I got surprised on how well this plays,modern games to me are just a modern take on how football should look and play according to Devs/people who can't be bothered to grind out a 0-0 game,this feels like a proper game.

Pes 17 is the Pes game I've played the most,still love it!
Brilliant game.

Everything else is so bad though. Just play 2020, gameplay is about as good, and other things are less embarrassing. Not good, but less embarrassing.
In 2020, there's no midfield, there's no need to build-up play, you beat the top teams easily and get hammered by the worst ones. The AI is horrible, with it's constant patterns (long ball from defender to striker, who chests it perfectly and hits the old 180-turn-shot). In all those areas, 2014 plays better, to me.

Of course, those are the best bits - the worst bits are all the stuff you mention (an empty Master League, very few stadiums, crap menus).

I can live with all those. I'd much rather have the more enjoyable gameplay. To me, 2020's gameplay just isn't enjoyable. Nor is FIFA's, and that's the prettiest, stadium-stuffed package there is.

Given I'm still playing PES for the gameplay in 2020, but not PES 2020... It's madness, isn't it. How are things so bad. Answer = FUT...

In 2020, there's no midfield, there's no need to build-up play, you beat the top teams easily and get hammered by the worst ones. The AI is horrible, with it's constant patterns (long ball from defender to striker, who chests it perfectly and hits the old 180-turn-shot). In all those areas, 2014 plays better, to me.
Perfect summary of the very worst offending elements of 2020.

But in regards to what you said about defenders taking big unresponsive strides in 2014, I agree - But it's 100% more manageable than 2020 because they're not frantically darting hyperactively and swivelling every time your about to select the defender you want leaving at the total positional disadvantage the way they do in 2020.

I think the midfield game in 2020 is pretty good when playing on unassisted passing. I find I have to think carefully when playing out from defence, switching the play becomes really important, and passing between the lines takes some precision unlike PA1 and above.

I was disappointed with Pes 13,just like you said,end to end,for me Pes 12 was much better.

I actually thought 2013 was an improvement on 12 in that sense! From what I remember, PES 2011 nailed the midfield play with its new passing system, then 2012 sped things up a little too much and made it easy to ping-pong from one end to the other. 13 was a bit of a middle ground between the two, and it fixed a few other problems with 12 (most notably the shooting physics, which were a bit too floaty in 11 and 12).

I'll still pick 2013, despite its faults, as my favorite because it's simply been the most fun game to play out of all of them. And I think the biggest reason is that it's perfectly balanced between attack and defence: it's probably the only football game I've played where defending is my favorite part. The player switching, which has been almost uniformly horrendous in the newer games, is completely on point, and your players respond instantly to loose balls (instead of doing ... whatever the hell it is they do in 2020).

One of the bigger complaints I remember from this game, especially in ML Online, was that it was a bit too easy to exploit pacy forwards with long through balls. But the beauty of the defensive controls was that you could anticipate this and manually control your deepest defender to position them to cut out the pass. Incredibly satisfying when you pulled it off!

I should also add that my experience with all the PES games is probably unique compared to most people on this site because I hardly ever touch the single-player or online modes. Local multiplayer only! So I've never really worried about how the AI cheats or what the cheap players online do, all that matters to me is how fun and realistic the gameplay is against human opponents.

Back
Top Bottom