PES 2014 Appreciation Thread

Still having a great time with this. The dribbling response time is the biggest frustration, rather than any other input response time - but.

This game has truly reminded me (beyond reading the words in old reviews and not really registering them), why I used to play PES - you really do see something different every game (except for the hard-fought midfield battles that end 0-0 maybe, where nothing happens at all).

This morning before work, I put the game on while I was having breakfast, leaving the controller to one side. After a minute or so, the game goes into demo mode (AI vs AI).

Now I don't think I have EVER uploaded a clip of AI vs AI before - some people insist on playing full careers with the AI playing the game for them, and that boggles my mind (why wouldn't you play Football Manager instead, it's 100x deeper).

But I found myself glued to it - and again, it's something else that makes you realise just how well-developed the older games are. Another line from every classic PES review was "if you watch the AI, you'll learn something about how to play"...

(The blimp replay angle is the best one!)

Glad to see you are enjoying some PES again. :okay:

Maybe you can do me a huge favor and do a little comparison between 2014 and (my beloved) 2017?!
I could think of other users here being interested in that as well.

Only thing keeping me from playing it more is that it's on my PS3,I absolutely hate that console.
Might get a better pc for gaming.

On a different note,I played my 15 today,and same thing as 14,feels very fresh,both games hands down better than 19/20.

After reading a few "PES 2020 is alright" and "you only like 2014 because you've not played it for so long and you've got your retro-rose-tinted-glasses on" type comments (not in a trolling way, just conversationally) - I went back to the modern games to give them a second chance.

PES 2020 gives you the illusion of being more fluid because the dribbling is more responsive, but really it's a lie - because when you're next to an opposition player, you still get the same response time issues, whether you're trying to dribble or (especially) pass. Suddenly, even with the power bar on the screen, it takes the player an extra second to take the action, by which point you've ran into the defender, or the goalkeeper, etc...

As for the actual gameplay of 2020 - I just don't have to think about what I'm doing, seriously. The same through-balls to wingers etc. without ever having to adapt my play - and the AI does the same damned thing every single match (and this is my biggest problem with 2020)... Pass to a defender, smashes it 80 yards straight forward, and no matter what, it's always the PERFECT hit, and is PERFECTLY brought down by the striker. Every time I see it, I get violently angry. The AI is horrendous, because the more they open up gameplay and introduce more freedom, the less the AI can handle it and just resorts to the cheapest tricks it can. It's had no work to bulk up its brain-power.

So I'm absolutely convinced 2014's gameplay is better. It is twice as good. I have to think about each pass (I can't emphasise how important that is for me to enjoy the game) or you give possession away super easily, my tactics are pivotal to success (I don't have to bother changing anything about my team's setup in 2020), there's very little scripting I can see (or feel), I'm beating poor teams and being beaten by better teams, on SUPERSTAR... Yes, dribbling response could be better, but I never was a big dribbler...

I even went back to FIFA 20. Wow, has PES 2014 opened my eyes. From kick-off you can run through a team and get a shot off. No resistance whatsoever, even with mods and sliders. There is, again, no thought involved. Just, point the stick towards the goal and wiggle it to get around each player.

I'm so sick of being intelectually passive in modern football games, of being able to turn my brain off and just wiggle a player around to earn a shot without pre-match preparation or tactics coming into it. It's not remotely satisfying.

struggling to get one of those patches, all the links seem to be dodgy sites that i cant get what i need from. any help appreciated!
Likewise. On the plus side, I'm now much better informed of TV trends in Indonesia.
I'd upload them to the Google Drive but I've not got much space left - I'll see what I can do!

I've downloaded the PES Galaxy Patch but like with the original install, I'm unable to open without the DVD. Any suggestions?

So I'm absolutely convinced 2014's gameplay is better. It is twice as good. I have to think about each pass (I can't emphasise how important that is for me to enjoy the game) or you give possession away super easily, my tactics are pivotal to success (I don't have to bother changing anything about my team's setup in 2020), there's very little scripting I can see (or feel), I'm beating poor teams and being beaten by better teams, on SUPERSTAR... Yes, dribbling response could be better, but I never was a big dribbler...

So true,exactly how I feel,can't really say I have to be that tactic going fw on Pes 17+18 (which I hold very high)
Pace is spot on,you need to plan your attacks,your tactics really count for something,and you need to adjust as you go along.

Though I've moved over to 15 again,it really applies there too.
Gem of a game this!
Ps I have to thank FIFA for it's dribbling,something I've mov dbover to my Pes playing a lot.
Really feels authentic to slow the game down and do a defender with a move

struggling to get one of those patches, all the links seem to be dodgy sites that i cant get what i need from. any help appreciated!
Likewise. On the plus side, I'm now much better informed of TV trends in Indonesia.

I've updated my post with all the download links you should need, hopefully. See below:

> Download all the DPs and patches in one from here (but don't apply them yet)

> Take your pick of the patches...

(The easiest to install is Fire Patch, which has loads of faces, stadiums and is updated to the 14/15 season. It is also compatible with the final update, 1.16, and DP7 which contains the World Challenge / Road to World Cup mode.)

USE THE FOLLOWING LINKS FOR INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS ONLY (NOT FOR DOWNLOADING)

>> Fire Patch 2014 AIO 6.0
>> PES Galaxy 2014 3.0 (with this bonus stadium pack)
>> PESEdit 4.4

For PESEdit 4.4, you need to extract each DP in order and then stop at 6.0 - because it doesn't support 7.0 (and doesn't come with an EXE that can even access the content in there, i.e. the Road to World Cup style mode).

The others support 7.0. (Also, you shouldn't need to bother with the updated EXEs as each patch should come with its own. But, always read the instructions!)

USE THE FOLLOWING LINKS TO DOWNLOAD YOUR CHOSEN PATCH

Fire Patch 2014 Datapack Installer
(Only download one of these links)

Fire Patch 2014 6.0 AIO + 6.1 Update Installer

PESGalaxy 2014 3.0 Installer
(Download one set, then the fix at the end)

UPTOBOX

SHAREMODS

MIRRORED.TO

PESGalaxy 2014 3.0 Fix Installer

PESEdit 4.4 Installer

Away you go.

Good luck!

Regarding this:

I've downloaded the PES Galaxy Patch but like with the original install, I'm unable to open without the DVD. Any suggestions?

The patch should contain an EXE which you overwrite the original one with, in order to play.

If it doesn't - the pack that contains all data packs and updates (this link here) should have a "No-DVD" version of each EXE & DLL in there. It has one for 1.16 at least. If I remember correctly...!

Last edited:
Y'all made me want to play PES 2014 again.
Before I go scavenging in the cellar to see if I can get some of the PC backups I did in 2013/14 (to see if I can find a good patch for it), is there anyone who has a good 2013/14 patch and is willing to share it?
Not really keen on the "next season" kind of patches, unfortunately...

Thanks! :)

Y'all made me want to play PES 2014 again.
Before I go scavenging in the cellar to see if I can get some of the PC backups I did in 2013/14 (to see if I can find a good patch for it), is there anyone who has a good 2013/14 patch and is willing to share it?
Not really keen on the "next season" kind of patches, unfortunately...

Thanks! :)
The PESEdit patch is a 13/14 patch. It's a shame it's not compatible with 1.16 / DP7 but you're only missing out on the Road to World Cup mode by sticking to 1.13 / DP6.

So I'm absolutely convinced 2014's gameplay is better. It is twice as good. I have to think about each pass (I can't emphasise how important that is for me to enjoy the game) or you give possession away super easily,
So true,exactly how I feel,can't really say I have to be that tactic going fw on Pes 17+18 (which I hold very high)
Pace is spot on,you need to plan your attacks,your tactics really count for something,and you need to adjust as you go along.

I'm really looking forward to trying this because this is exactly what I've been finding with 2013. I genuinely spent an entire game (20 mins) the other night trying to break down the opposition without ever really creating a clear cut chance. I had 58% possession about 9 shots, almost all of which were outside the box because I couldn't work a chance in the box. They had 6 shots and scored with the first of them early on. So enjoyable and challenging. Admittedly my team weren't the best but the opposition team were really no more than a shade better than me. They just defended well, shut down any gaps before I could exploit them and dealt with any crosses I did manage to get in. As for a chance of a through ball, forget it.

If 2014 builds on this then I can't wait to try it.

I'm really looking forward to trying this because this is exactly what I've been finding with 2013. I genuinely spent an entire game (20 mins) the other night trying to break down the opposition without ever really creating a clear cut chance. I had 58% possession about 9 shots, almost all of which were outside the box because I couldn't work a chance in the box. They had 6 shots and scored with the first of them early on. So enjoyable and challenging. Admittedly my team weren't the best but the opposition team were really no more than a shade better than me. They just defended well, shut down any gaps before I could exploit them and dealt with any crosses I did manage to get in. As for a chance of a through ball, forget it.

If 2014 builds on this then I can't wait to try it.
That sounds great,yeah 13 is a brilliant game as well.
Think 11-12-13-14-15 all have sim great ai.
If you're (I know you're not though) used to playing 18-20 all you have to do is play a ball down the wing or central,and there's no midfield stopping you, different story with these games.
Hope you like it buddy

As for the actual gameplay of 2020 - I just don't have to think about what I'm doing, seriously.

So I'm absolutely convinced 2014's gameplay is better. It is twice as good. I have to think about each pass (I can't emphasise how important that is for me to enjoy the game)

I'm so sick of being intelectually passive in modern football games, of being able to turn my brain off and just wiggle a player around to earn a shot without pre-match preparation or tactics coming into it. It's not remotely satisfying.

1000% this. It's so clear to see the flaws of PES 2020 by going from PES 2014 straight to a game PES 2020. Just look at the space between the lines to start with. There's no resistance in midfield. The point about how important having to THINK about how you play is key.

Do we know if there was a key change in the development team from then until now? The fact this is on FOX engine also proves it's not exclusively an engine problem which I thought was interesting.

I've updated my post with all the download links you should need, hopefully. See below:

Good luck!

Regarding this:

The patch should contain an EXE which you overwrite the original one with, in order to play.

If it doesn't - the pack that contains all data packs and updates (this link here) should have a "No-DVD" version of each EXE & DLL in there. It has one for 1.16 at least. If I remember correctly...!
Thanks. I have managed to download the latest Data Pack from your link of Fire Patch. I hope this is same as the official one (i.e. not modded).
I am willing to try to make PESEdit 4.4 work on the World Challenge DLC and then porting the patch to PS3.

Some notes:
Fire Patch - Data Pack
No matter which installation path have be chosen in "Fire Patch - Data Pack", it will install all data pack files into
Code:
C:\ProgramData\KONAMI\Pro Evolution Soccer 2014\download\
and no any other things will be installed in the chosen installation path. (i.e. No patch files inside)

It does not include the latest data pack.

Fire Patch 6.0 + 6.1
It will install the latest data pack to the installation path.

Last edited:
I had a couple of games of 2014 last night. I played on full manual which is something i stopped doing on 2020 because it was too frustrating, Not because the manual passing is "too difficult" but because of the problems @Chris Davies outlines above. It's literally not fair - The moment you lose possession on manual in 2020, The AI just does the low effort driven pass from where ever they are on the pitch to their forward, 180 and a low and hard goal with your defenders resisting to close him down. It's just rotten ass bullshit.

In 2014, The experience is a tighter game thanks to far superior team positioning. I think the slower pace of the game as well as the slower passing speed/power bar, Controlling your manual passes in those more congested areas is less frantic and stressful.

So i do suggest giving it a try at least for another fresh footballing experience, Put the match length up a bit higher than what your usually on to compliment the lesser productivity while you adjust.

And of course scoring a goal or heck even creating a decent attack on goal or shot off is an incredibly rewarding feeling because you literally concentrated and pulled that off yourself.

The PESEdit patch is a 13/14 patch. It's a shame it's not compatible with 1.16 / DP7 but you're only missing out on the Road to World Cup mode by sticking to 1.13 / DP6.
Thanks man, didn't know that.
I don't know why I assumed it was.

Downloaded from the ShaerMods link you provided, thank you very much! :)

I still don't understand why they didn't use PES 2014 as a base for the Fox Engine and just improve the responsiveness and the modes. It's the best prototype and if it had some further polish, we would have had a decent PES 2020 game now. Instead they took out the havok physics engine, they took out the combination play(which made every match unique and gives CPU AI team identity) and they replaced a dynamic flexible tactic system(with sliders) to rigid tactical styles(player forgetting football fundamental to get stuck on their position ignoring the ball in play). Also I enjoy the strength and physiciality of the game too. Stronger player actually are stronger and doesn't get shrugged off. Thanks to a much better collision system. Also I love the cloth physics, it's beautiful. Love the weight of the pass and the general ball physics(the way it wobbles too). The movement has inertia which makes some interesting play and I just can't hold sprint button and hope for the best. They could have build up with this inertia system so that players like Hazard can control inertia better and beat unagile defenders. Also love the emotion system they used since it's more of an individual effect than a whole team like the stupid team spirit where it makes all player either dumb or smart. AI are pretty smart and feels like a human player. They don't do the robotic tiki taka pass. They play slow and understand the game getting into good position and putting a lot of surprising passes especially players like Fabregas, Pirlo, Modric and Ozil. The barycentric movement is so advanced at times and allows good smart left stick dribbling when the input wasn't so unresponsive. The crossing also feels solid with weighted crosses instead of a slow floppy cross. However the unresponsive input kills the game for me. For me it's literally the only thing wrong in this game but the most major thing. Such a simple problem yet they devolved their entire series due to it. What a shame...

I still don't understand why they didn't use PES 2014 as a base for the Fox Engine and just improve the responsiveness and the modes. It's the best prototype and if it had some further polish, we would have had a decent PES 2020 game now. Instead they took out the havok physics engine, they took out the combination play(which made every match unique and gives CPU AI team identity) and they replaced a dynamic flexible tactic system(with sliders) to rigid tactical styles(player forgetting football fundamental to get stuck on their position ignoring the ball in play). Also I enjoy the strength and physiciality of the game too. Stronger player actually are stronger and doesn't get shrugged off. Thanks to a much better collision system. Also I love the cloth physics, it's beautiful. Love the weight of the pass and the general ball physics(the way it wobbles too). The movement has inertia which makes some interesting play and I just can't hold sprint button and hope for the best. They could have build up with this inertia system so that players like Hazard can control inertia better and beat unagile defenders. Also love the emotion system they used since it's more of an individual effect than a whole team like the stupid team spirit where it makes all player either dumb or smart. AI are pretty smart and feels like a human player. They don't do the robotic tiki taka pass. They play slow and understand the game getting into good position and putting a lot of surprising passes especially players like Fabregas, Pirlo, Modric and Ozil. The barycentric movement is so advanced at times and allows good smart left stick dribbling when the input wasn't so unresponsive. The crossing also feels solid with weighted crosses instead of a slow floppy cross. However the unresponsive input kills the game for me. For me it's literally the only thing wrong in this game but the most major thing. Such a simple problem yet they devolved their entire series due to it. What a shame...
According to Wikipedia pes 2014 uses fox engine for??? and Havok for physics. Also pes 2015 and 2016 occupy also both Fox and Havok.
Basically second picture is more clear, about physics.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200623_134928_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200623_134928_com.android.chrome.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20200623_135100_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200623_135100_com.android.chrome.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 24
Havok was only used for cloth physics in these PES games. It wasn't used for player physics.

Not sure about 2016 as I didn't play much of it, but I'm quite sure I saw a Havok logo in the loading screens of PES 2015 if this matters.
(well, apparently it's also featured on the cover).
It is also on PES 2016 cover.
EDIT: @*aLe photo

Attachments

• 15929129508607439141422792024631.jpg
    15929129508607439141422792024631.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
According to Wikipedia pes 2014 uses fox engine for??? and Havok for physics. Also pes 2015 and 2016 occupy also both Fox and Havok.
Basically second picture is more clear, about physics.

I think they started stripping some havok physics stuff and started implementing their own physics engine until PES 2017 where they completely stripped it off. I guess their devs are not experience enough to work with havok.

man i am pretty dumb i guess. i just installed everything with the fire patch but when i start up the game it tells me this

unable to load.jpg

what am i doing wrong? i did everything in the order as per the page that @Chris Davies linked

ignore me, i fixed it. folder structure went a bit funny when i installed one of the data packs, i had \downloads\downloads\downloads etc :D

finally up and running!

I'm downloading the patches now but I thought I'd just try a quick game from the vanilla install but I'm getting a wrong disc inserted message. I thought perhaps it was linking to the wrong drive but it even happens after autorunning from the virtual cd. I get up the small menu screen, settings/read me etc all work fine, but clicking play gets the wrong disc inserted message. All I've done is install the game from the mounted iso, nothing else added or taken away yet.

I'm downloading the patches now but I thought I'd just try a quick game from the vanilla install but I'm getting a wrong disc inserted message. I thought perhaps it was linking to the wrong drive but it even happens after autorunning from the virtual cd. I get up the small menu screen, settings/read me etc all work fine, but clicking play gets the wrong disc inserted message. All I've done is install the game from the mounted iso, nothing else added or taken away yet.
You need to install a no-DVD EXE, which you either get manually out of the "all data packs and EXEs" zip file, or the patch you install (usually) comes with an EXE that overwrites the original one (and fixes your issue)!

Back
Top Bottom