PES 2014 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lami

Niche Football
28 May 2007
Sydney
Man Utd, Juve
Starting off with this bit of info by videogamer.

Both current and next-gen versions of PES will use Fox Engine

News Publish Date 11/03/2013 - 3:00pm GMT

Current-gen Fox Engine visuals look "near indistinguishable" from the real thing, mag reckons.

A modified version of Kojima Productions' Fox Engine will be used to power both the current and next-generation versions of future PES titles, it's been revealed.

The new engine's scalability, which is expected to be introduced with this year's PES 2014, will mean that both the current and next-gen versions of Konami's football game will benefit from enhanced visuals and "barycentre physics", which offers players "more realistic centres of balance" and a greater sense of physicality.

According to the latest issue of EDGE, the new engine "looks incredible" on PS3, with in-engine visuals that look "near indistinguishable" from the real world. "Only some intricate background detail betrays the CG version," EDGE states. "In terms of quality, think of the Fox Engine 'boardroom' test image... It looks incredible, but we're assured it's all running on PS3."

Though the new engine may debut on current-gen consoles, Konami plans to use Fox Engine to power next-gen versions of PES, too.

"Our new engine isn't limited to the next few years, but [is ready] for next-gen platforms," senior producer Naoya Hatsumi says, as creative producer Kei Masuda hints towards cross-device functionality.

"It is not just about making games for the TV; the engine can adapt to any platform, like tablet or mobile," says Masuda.

"The concern is fewer people will have time to pick up their controllers and play games on the TV. The market has shrunk, so we want to make it possible to, say, edit players on your phone or alter formations, so when you turn on your game, you can instantly start playing with your favoured pre-sets. We want PES to fit around users' lifestyles."

PES 2014 has yet to be officially announced by Konami. Nevertheless, expect it to launch on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC - and potentially PlayStation 4, Microsoft's next-gen Xbox and Wii U - later this year.

Source: EDGE | #252 April 2013

i don't care how it looks, the most important thing is how it moves

Last edited:
"Photorealistic graphics that look nearly indistinguishable from the real thing" on this gen? I'm curious how much of that we will get in the retail-version of PES 2014.

As to the cross-platform-aspects: It would be great if there would be a smartphone-PES 2014-app so that you can easily transfer data from the PES 2014-consoles seasmlessly and wirelessly and hasslefree to the smartphone, where you can edit stuff and bring it back to your console and have it seamlessly synchronise it or even to a foreign console and have it play like you are at home. Transforming the smartphone into a memory-profile-storage that is editable and on which you can watch your recorded gaming-sessions...

I wonder if we will still see more infos (and maybe pics) about PES engine on thursday. Too many infos have already been "leaked".

i don't care how it looks, the most important thig is how it moves

That's what she said:COAT:

After 5 years of mediocrity from Konami I'm a bit jaded when it comes to PES. However, I must admit I'm looking forward to seeing PES 2014 in motion.

It is indeed intriguing to see this new engine powering current gen and being visually astonishing at the same time. The hype level for Thursday is building up! :SHOCK:

According to EDGE, that "photorealism" they saw on a demo was achieved on PS3, and it seems that they (edge) gave us as an example to have a clue about how photorealistic the visuals of PES are on this new engine that old Fox Engine pic you can see below:

Fox-engine1.jpg

If that is REALLY the case, then at least graphically the game looks truly awesome.

Last edited:
Looking forward to any upcoming info, especially with "next gen" just being around the corner there should be much more substantial developments ("should" being the key word).

:BY: happy new topic, new engine, new dreams, new hopes, and perhaps another disappointment :D....;) just kidding ... maybe!:THINK:

Working on the AI there I see?

There's the PS4 controller on the left.

in 6 years time the only footie game i play for more than 2 months is pes 2011. no need to tell you how much i miss footie game, but i feel konami has lost the plot. they really made terrible decisions, like focusing on super complicated and useless things like triggering off the ball manual movements (impossible to perform), a zillion useless tricks, an incredibily tedious and boring ml with cutscenes and boots and 5 screens before u go into match day, an incredibly dumb cheating Ai etc etc.

if they go back to "easy to play difficult to master" and forget about all the useless shit than they have a good chance to come back. Animations and good audio should come before shiny visuals though.

One more thing: nba2k control scheme is the way to go.

right stick for body movements and dribbling (not tricks) and l2+right stick for manual shooting meaning different types of shots (at least main 4-5 used in fooball, depending on the player and the position of course, ala nba2k). arrows for on the fly subs, call plays on free kicks, decide how many people are gonna go for corner kicks, tactical setting are already mapped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw it. Such a massive tease. Anyway, are the details regarding "Barycentre Physics" and blah..blah real?

Saw it. Such a massive tease. Anyway, are the details regarding "Barycentre Physics" and blah..blah real?

That image is about Baricentre Physics,it seems they really worked on it, not just words. I still prefer to wait for ingame demos before judging anything.
This concept is excellent, its application is really difficult, though.

All reads great to be honest. I'm trying not to pay much attention to anything until we see footage (waaaay off from now) but the fact that it's Edge raving about the engine, and on PS3, is very interesting.

Also, the fact that a major technical focus, graphics apart, is on physics and body weight etc then it seems like Konami are trying to keep the same philosophy at least.

Now, if they can pull this off and add to that make it so that the ball doesn't pass through my keeper's body then I'll be happy! :P

Without good online modes, all this new features are useless . If the PES 2014 has not mode like pro clubs, i will buy FIFA for first time in my live.

Last edited:
Couldn't care less about online modes personally. All I wan't is that old-school PES feeling wrapped in a new engine with realistic offline modes.

PES5 was the last football game that truly had me addicted and now I'm forgetting what that feels like.

Couldn't care less about online modes personally. All I wan't is that old-school PES feeling wrapped in a new engine with realistic offline modes.

PES5 was the last football game that truly had me addicted and now I'm forgetting what that feels like.

For me, the best PES moments are was always with co-op multiplayer and online playing with my friends . Building clubs with real players is one of my biggest dreams for PES.

Whether you like online play or don't, it shouldn't be too much to ask from Konami to have BOTH in modern day PES and to a damn good standard. The fact that they haven't managed this to date is shameful on their part.

Having been let down too many times by Konami over the last few years I find it impossible to become excited about these snippets of news about PES 2014. Most of which probably wont even make it into the finished product or will be rendered irrelevant by the usual scripting, clipping issues, poor AI and whatever nuttier-than-squirrel-shit decisions that Konami makes between now and October such as the addition of magical boots or leaving out a league mode.

Just for once, I wish Konami would forget about gimmicks such as "Baricentre Physics" and just concentrate on getting the basics right. The basics that they have manage to fuck up royally over the last few years.

The new engine everyone is creaming themselves over is more likely to produce another PES 2008 than another PES 2006 in my opinion. That's how much faith I have in Konami right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom