PES 2017 - PC Version Discussion Thread

Probably no one gonna notice this post with all the hype about 2019 demo, but I want to give some credit to this game. I felt really frustrated with pes 2018 after a while, gameplay was repetetive and soulless, all my attacks seemed very very linear and repetetive. So I've installed PES 2017 with kilay tactics and modified att\def levels (this is reallly important, makes it feel like a whole new game). And I'm enjoying it immensely despite some obvious flaws, mainly thanks to the fact it has midfield battles, it's hard to advance to the opponent's goal, CPU closes down space really well and attacks in a much smarter maner than that robotic ping pong crap in 2018. Shooting could really be better but unlike 2018 I feel good when I score because of the build-up that comes before, you really have to put some effort and thought to score a goal. At the moment I'm in my first master league season with 90 team spirit, maybe it would become much easier once I reach 100, but anyway I'm having a great time for now. Most of my goals are unique , every match feels somehow fresh, player individuality is also good. Despite the catch-up, superhuman CPU slide tackles and rather vapid shooting this is the best game on the FOX engine to me, it's a shame how much of a gameplay downgrade 2018 turned out to be. If anyone wants to try it too I urge you to use kilay tactics with tweaked att\def levels, it makes a massive difference.

Probably no one gonna notice this post with all the hype about 2019 demo, but I want to give some credit to this game. I felt really frustrated with pes 2018 after a while, gameplay was repetetive and soulless, all my attacks seemed very very linear and repetetive. So I've installed PES 2017 with kilay tactics and modified att\def levels (this is reallly important, makes it feel like a whole new game). And I'm enjoying it immensely despite some obvious flaws, mainly thanks to the fact it has midfield battles, it's hard to advance to the opponent's goal, CPU closes down space really well and attacks in a much smarter maner than that robotic ping pong crap in 2018. Shooting could really be better but unlike 2018 I feel good when I score because of the build-up that comes before, you really have to put some effort and thought to score a goal. At the moment I'm in my first master league season with 90 team spirit, maybe it would become much easier once I reach 100, but anyway I'm having a great time for now. Most of my goals are unique , every match feels somehow fresh, player individuality is also good. Despite the catch-up, superhuman CPU slide tackles and rather vapid shooting this is the best game on the FOX engine to me, it's a shame how much of a gameplay downgrade 2018 turned out to be. If anyone wants to try it too I urge you to use kilay tactics with tweaked att\def levels, it makes a massive difference.

And if you even go back to PES 2016: animations, physical collisions, team ID and difficulty levels are much better than 2017. It's a much deeper game in that respect. Play it with a gameplay mod and kilay tactics and I guarantee you won't go back to 2017.

And if you even go back to PES 2016: animations, physical collisions, team ID and difficulty levels are much better than 2017. It's a much deeper game in that respect. Play it with a gameplay mod and kilay tactics and I guarantee you won't go back to 2017.
Installed it today, played a few games with no patches installed yet (and one with the latest yair gameplay patch), I couldn't find kilay tactics for that version, do you have a link?
It's a but funny for me because I absolutely hated it in 2015 when it came out for how easy it was to score, the last time I've played the game was in december 2015 and the rest of the season I've spent playing FIFA 16. However when I played it today it seemed actually harder to pass the midfield to get to the CPU penalty box than 2017, but once you pass it and get closer I thought it's easier to score, mostly because shooting is soo bad (too easy and robotic) it's almost gamebreaking.But I've enjoyed it a lot anyway, now I need to find a good current patch for it and somehow import my player edits from 2017-2018 so I can start a ML and get the real taste of it.
So my brief impressions compared to 2017 are:
+ You can actually burst thourgh player and gain advantage with speed and acceleration, it's a non-existant feature in 2017 and adds a lot of variation for 2016.
+ Some animations, especially running ones, are definitely smoother and more realistic than 2017, however like in 2014 and 2015 they're a bit unresponsive beacuse of their transition. I guess they've changed core animations in 2017-2018 to make them more consonant with the user input.
+ Ball physics is nicer, at least for passing.
+ Physical collisions are much less robotic
+ CPU a little more varied
- Shooting is dull and easy. I guess I'll have to learn manual to enjoy it
- Felt it's a bit easier to find a gap for through-ball in the final third
- Headers are overpowered
And I've tried yair gameplay patch 3.1:
+ CPU is a little better at scoring and bypassing my pressure
- Somehow it's easier to bypass their midfield
- Dribbling became abusable (if there's a word like that), too easy to keep the ball under the pressure and take on defenders 1 on 1. Maybe you know the version of the patch with more balanced dribbling?

Installed it today, played a few games with no patches installed yet (and one with the latest yair gameplay patch), I couldn't find kilay tactics for that version, do you have a link?
It's a but funny for me because I absolutely hated it in 2015 when it came out for how easy it was to score, the last time I've played the game was in december 2015 and the rest of the season I've spent playing FIFA 16. However when I played it today it seemed actually harder to pass the midfield to get to the CPU penalty box than 2017, but once you pass it and get closer I thought it's easier to score, mostly because shooting is soo bad (too easy and robotic) it's almost gamebreaking.But I've enjoyed it a lot anyway, now I need to find a good current patch for it and somehow import my player edits from 2017-2018 so I can start a ML and get the real taste of it.
So my brief impressions compared to 2017 are:
+ You can actually burst thourgh player and gain advantage with speed and acceleration, it's a non-existant feature in 2017 and adds a lot of variation for 2016.
+ Some animations, especially running ones, are definitely smoother and more realistic than 2017, however like in 2014 and 2015 they're a bit unresponsive beacuse of their transition. I guess they've changed core animations in 2017-2018 to make them more consonant with the user input.
+ Ball physics is nicer, at least for passing.
+ Physical collisions are much less robotic
+ CPU a little more varied
- Shooting is dull and easy. I guess I'll have to learn manual to enjoy it
- Felt it's a bit easier to find a gap for through-ball in the final third
- Headers are overpowered
And I've tried yair gameplay patch 3.1:
+ CPU is a little better at scoring and bypassing my pressure
- Somehow it's easier to bypass their midfield
- Dribbling became abusable (if there's a word like that), too easy to keep the ball under the pressure and take on defenders 1 on 1. Maybe you know the version of the patch with more balanced dribbling?

There's no Kilay patch for 2016, not that I know of at least.

What I did was:

1. Downloaded the latest version of PTE 2016
2. Applied Mackubex option file (https://mackubex.weebly.com/pes-2016-option-file.html)
3. Modified Mackubex's team tactics (uses fluid formations) manually to incorporate Kilay's (for the teams I use the most)
4. Modified some of my favorite player's attributes to work together with the tactics

As for the gameplay, I haven't tried yair's because all his links/websites have been erased. I have tried a couple of dt18 gameplay patches, some made the game worse (like the one with PES 2017 gameplay) other made the game more challenging but somehow made the CPU one dimensional and with no creativity. With that said, the dt18 I am using right now is the original one from the demo.

P.S. Besides Team ID, this is the last PES game with Player ID (play with Real and dribble+pass with Bale or Marcelo to see what I mean)

There's no Kilay patch for 2016, not that I know of at least.

What I did was:

1. Downloaded the latest version of PTE 2016
2. Applied Mackubex option file (https://mackubex.weebly.com/pes-2016-option-file.html)
3. Modified Mackubex's team tactics (uses fluid formations) manually to incorporate Kilay's (for the teams I use the most)
4. Modified some of my favorite player's attributes to work together with the tactics

As for the gameplay, I haven't tried yair's because all his links/websites have been erased. I have tried a couple of dt18 gameplay patches, some made the game worse (like the one with PES 2017 gameplay) other made the game more challenging but somehow made the CPU one dimensional and with no creativity. With that said, the dt18 I am using right now is the original one from the demo.

P.S. Besides Team ID, this is the last PES game with Player ID (play with Real and dribble+pass with Bale or Marcelo to see what I mean)
I'll try it, thanks. By the way, did you score any long range (25+m) goals in 2016? I couldn't score any in the training mode, that's disappointing, always loved scoring screamers in pes

I'll try it, thanks. By the way, did you score any long range (25+m) goals in 2016? I couldn't score any in the training mode, that's disappointing, always loved scoring screamers in pes

Only a couple of times, but I normally don't look for long range shots.

@loco I tried again Pes 16 "vanilla" and effectively there is truth in what you're saying regarding animations and player ID. It seems more players are moving as they should and teams are playing good football offensively.. generally the game feels way less on "rails" than 15 and 17.

However, keepers are terrible as I remember, and cpu lacks aggression and marking ability, making the game not so challenging.. and that's the stuff that made me give up the game rather quickly in the past. How do you feel about the above? Do the things you modified provide a significant change in regard?

@loco I tried again Pes 16 "vanilla" and effectively there is truth in what you're saying regarding animations and player ID. It seems more players are moving as they should and teams are playing good football offensively.. generally the game feels way less on "rails" than 15 and 17.

However, keepers are terrible as I remember, and cpu lacks aggression and marking ability, making the game not so challenging.. and that's the stuff that made me give up the game rather quickly in the past. How do you feel about the above? Do the things you modified provide a significant change in regard?

Fluid formations ala Kilay definitively helps and editing the dt18 to improve them and cpu aggressiveness should work. I am alternating dt18 files between alex's and the demo's.

You could first try alex's dt18 and if you like it, keep playing the vanilla game with only that file. He also includes and exe in his game-play patch, but it somewhat diminishes CPU individuality, variety, so I kept the original one (1.05.00 with data pack 4).

Link to alex's game-play: http://www68.zippyshare.com/v/QcpkSFcy/file.html

I must say I'm actually really impressed after re-taking Pes 2016. It does some things so good it's unbelievable, and others so equally bad I want to smash my head to the wall.. the build up and the midfield play/battles (whenever you get to make the latter happen) are excellent. Animations are surely the most beautiful and well tied of those years, togheter maybe with 14.. and individuality is actually good. Cpu teams play a varied football. It's the game of that gen that actually looks, and surprisingly feel more (when you play it's strong points), like a real life game.

However, there is a number of game breaking issues. Goalkeepers are plain bad most of the times. Shooting is too op, long passes/through balls are broken and defences are weak. I hope to fix at least partially defences with tactics and maybe try advanced shooting to make it more competitive but the rest, unless there is some other Dt18 that fix that, unfortunately is what it is.

It is exactly what @Madmac79 said. This game does some details pretty good. I have posted back then and i recall it now, that in my opinion the game was too rashed cause of the "stupid" 20 years anniversary faffy celebrations. If they gave the polish and importance to the game development, instead of the silly "anniversary" PR focus it could be a very decent PES. For me it was and it still is an other lost chance, despite the pros, the flaws are much present!

Just rewatched accidentally a video of mine from a PES 2016 goal i had uploaded in youtube. What impressed me more is the part after the goal, specifically the back steps the player does to regain his balance.Ok in the end it is choppy, cause after the last step he makes a robotic pivot, but the general balance sequence looked so fluid and smooth, shoot->getting out of balance cause of shot power->back steping to regain balance. Check it after 00:24

Also ,while i do not want to "advertise" my videos, check in this video the incredibly genius off-the ball movement the AI does with my CF (G. Pazzini) i don't remember to have seen this again since then or before. Check from 05:30 or fro 05:45 with camera focused on him. Just how many times the AI changed his direction movement just to get free from defender marking. I was really amazed
And compare it with a similar goal i achieved in the first day of PES 2018. In 2018 the player scored with the bad foot, without any sense of inertia, he made an explosive run, he shot the ball still standing and after that again no inertia at all, he did not even lose his balance from such an action! It is the first goal here.

Last edited:
@slamsoze well, if they truly rushed it out for the anniversary it's criminal. I played this game really little at the time, because the fact it was so easy to beat made me drop it rather quickly. But after a full immersion in this two days I'm really having a blast by looking at what this game nailed. I think if they put in at least proper GK IA and some balance in the final third of the field, this game would have been a game changer for the saga.

By the way it's strange that modders aren't working more on this game. It seems like Dt18 modifies actually do meaningful stuff here, at the opposite of 2018. Maybe there still would be a lot possible to achieve.

I forgot to mention and to touch the topics name “2017” :P that I mainly played pes 2017 in ps4 and the last year I got it in pc.In pc it is a lil bit different as it is last gen version.It looks like a hybrid of next gen pes 17 with last gen pes2016 ps3,Xbox 360,pc.Specifically as a polished 2016 with the only different the body physics is more solid,an improved and refreshed pes16 i would say where the only scoring way is 7/10 times headers. Although here I find it slightly better then next gen pes17 where 8/10 goals are headers. The only part I am missing to make the comparison is the pes2016 ps4 next gen version which I have never played to spot the difference with pc.
Finally it is sad that this year we don’t have ps3 old gen pes.Despite the flaws this next gen old gen duality produces some interesting results per year.Like we have two different footies from the same company

@slamsoze well, if they truly rushed it out for the anniversary it's criminal. I played this game really little at the time, because the fact it was so easy to beat made me drop it rather quickly. But after a full immersion in this two days I'm really having a blast by looking at what this game nailed. I think if they put in at least proper GK IA and some balance in the final third of the field, this game would have been a game changer for the saga.

By the way it's strange that modders aren't working more on this game. It seems like Dt18 modifies actually do meaningful stuff here, at the opposite of 2018. Maybe there still would be a lot possible to achieve.

I forgot to mention and to touch the topics name “2017” :P that I mainly played pes 2017 in ps4 and the last year I got it in pc.In pc it is a lil bit different as it is last gen version.It looks like a hybrid of next gen pes 17 with last gen pes2016 ps3,Xbox 360,pc.Specifically as a polished 2016 with the only different the body physics is more solid,an improved and refreshed pes16 i would say where the only scoring way is 7/10 times headers. Although here I find it slightly better then next gen pes17 where 8/10 goals are headers. The only part I am missing to make the comparison is the pes2016 ps4 next gen version which I have never played to spot the difference with pc.
Finally it is sad that this year we don’t have ps3 old gen pes.Despite the flaws this next gen old gen duality produces some interesting results per year.Like we have two different footies from the same company

Hate to say I told you so :) This game is sweet.
I am testing a gameplay patch that is proving to be a real fix for the gk and defense AI. I will post it later today for you guys to try it and post your impressions.

Hate to say I told you so :) This game is sweet.
I am testing a gameplay patch that is proving to be a real fix for the gk and defense AI. I will post it later today for you guys to try it and post your impressions.

Looking really forward to it. If somehow a patch fixed the messy keeper and the truly weak/not aware/not aggressive defence, this would probably turn to be the absolute ace of this gen.

And especially with patches or tools if compared to 2017. Speaking of, I would really love to see Every 4 years Patch by @klashman69 in 2016.

On another note, what I also love about this game is that player styles and the effect of abilities and skills is super noticeable (again comparing mostly to the shallow 2017, since 2018 ammended many of these). Target Man really works and behaves like a Centre-Forward, Fox in the box behaves like a Striker, Creative playmaker always drop downs to the midfield when building up play and drops deeper than the CF on defense, Creative playmaker style works for SS's, WG's, AMF's, Classic Number 10 also works for SS's.

@loco I tried the patch. Honestly I still find defenders not reactive enough, especially in their own box. Keepers more or less the same, especially on low shots. Aggressivity is improved all around the field tho, but I think for it to be really challenging there is need for way more tweakings.

@loco I tried the patch. Honestly I still find defenders not reactive enough, especially in their own box. Keepers more or less the same, especially on low shots. Aggressivity is improved all around the field tho, but I think for it to be really challenging there is need for way more tweakings.

I thought the same about the defense, but their positioning has definitively improved. About GK's I definitively felt a difference, they felt a little more intelligent and faster reaction wise. Overall I think the gameplay mod is a significant improvement over the original game-play far better than 2017 or 2018 in my opinion. Still need more testing to do though.

I've been playing PES 2016 this past week and I really love animations, ball and net physics, player ID, movement fluidity, they're one of the best in the series. However I score around 5 goals each game (so far I've only played exhibition mode), though often I would concede a lot too, and that kind of kills the game for me, now I remember why I've abandoned the game in 2015. But even despite that I enjoy goals I score more than in recent PES games. If only there was a way to make this game harder... I don't know if editing dt18 would achieve that, I've been tinkering with that a lot in PES 2017-2018 and concluded that you really can't change much with those. And for 2016 there was a guy MVP77 who spent probably hundreds of hours editing dt18 and even tweaking some exe code and in the end he decided it's wasn't worth his time and his vision of the game cannot be achieved, as far as I know he was never around PES community after that. I've tried the version of his patch he claims is the hardest to score with but I still scored a lot.
I also think that difficulty in a football sim game is a tricky subject, since you're basically in god mode and see the whole pitch, and having some experience with the game and watching a lot of football in general, especially when most of us here been playing PES for at the very least a decade, you intuitively know what's the best action to take in a given moment, what's the mos productive decision, you're basically putting your brain into a player you control and make him a world class decision maker - the trait only a very few of real life footballers posses, so I really doubt if the game can ever be as realstic as we want it to be. Anf in defence you can quickly see and close all the gaps, choose the best moment to double press and get the ball etc, so the talk about "CPU cheating" is again not really relevant as long as it doesn't play that constant ping-pong crap like in 2018. But what makes PES beautiful for me is the freedom it gives to your football imagination unlike FIFA, you can be really inventive with your playing style and re-create some of the great stuff you enjoy watching in real football.

Last edited:
I also think that difficulty in a football sim game is a tricky subject, since you're basically in god mode and see the whole pitch, and having some experience with the game and watching a lot of football in general, especially when most of us here been playing PES for at the very least a decade, you intuitively know what's the best action to take in a given moment, what's the mos productive decision, you're basically putting your brain into a player you control and make him a world class decision maker - the trait only a very few of real life footballers posses, so I really doubt if the game can ever be as realstic as we want it to be. Anf in defence you can quickly see and close all the gaps, choose the best moment to double press and get the ball etc, so the talk about "CPU cheating" is again not really relevant as long as it doesn't play that constant ping-pong crap like in 2018. But what makes PES beautiful for me is the freedom it gives to your football imagination unlike FIFA, you can be really inventive with your playing style and re-create some of the great stuff you enjoy watching in real football.

Amen.

I am having a blast with 2016. Would love to get my hands on Winning Eleven 2016 just to see if the gameplay is more polished, but playing with a modified exe and dt18 has improved the experience for me. Too bad patchers never really gave this game an opportunity (compared to the breadth of patches and tools available for 2017 and 2018). I am still dreaming about a back to the finals/every 4 years type of patch for 2016.

@loco thanks for sharing!

Probably it's because I tried other mods, but when I try boris exe + your new OF it says to me the data is not compatible.

I tried the OF with another exe and it seems like a great job.. it's a very good idea to dramatically lower offensive player stats and leaving defensive guys much better. It finally seems more challenging to attack.
However unfortunately this other exe I used makes the cpu teams too much monotonous in terms of build up. I think maybe I should fresh install the game and play with Boris GP and this OF as you meant before giving other feedback.

Probably it's because I tried other mods, but when I try boris exe + your new OF it says to me the data is not compatible.

I tried the OF with another exe and it seems like a great job.. it's a very good idea to dramatically lower offensive player stats and leaving defensive guys much better. It finally seems more challenging to attack.
However unfortunately this other exe I used makes the cpu teams too much monotonous in terms of build up. I think maybe I should fresh install the game and play with Boris GP and this OF as you meant before giving other feedback.

Superb! Let me know your thoughts.

I'm willing to give PES 2016 a chance on Xbox One but there are two or three things that hold me back at the moment:
  • Keepers: they're almost acceptable most of the time (with some peaks of "how on Earth did he really save this?" goodness), then out of the blue they start looking like they've never been in goal in their life.
    I can't tell what it is that triggers this behaviour, but I've conceded a couple of goals that gave me shivers (and not in a good way, mind you). I mean, Karius would be a concrete wall in comparison.
  • Attacking AI: pretty much one-dimensional: lofted ball to the centre forward who finesses it past the keeper or lofted ball to the winger who then crosses it in low for an easy tap-in (finessed, of course).
    This, unless you enter the "EURO 2016" mode (a thing which I find very strange). In that mode, I find the CPU more varied. I still cannot explain it for the life of mine.
  • Referees: they really let you get away with murder, probably the most lenient referees I've ever seen in a videogame. In comparison, referees in PES 2018 are an army of Kazuki Ito's.
Too bad because it had some little touches that I haven't seen in any PES game since, like a very good first touch variety (on the first touch the ball feels like it's not attached to the player controlling it but like it's indeed free, and this results in players often controlling the ball a little too further than intended, in a good way) and some quality pitches (yeah, I feel they've been downgraded somehow in PES 2017).

I also have it for PC though, so maybe the patches you mentioned solve some of these issues (at the expense of slightly worse graphics, dull lighting and no goalpost shadows, that is).

By the way, we're blatantly off-topic here.
Can't we continue in the PES 2016 PC thread instead?

• This, unless you enter the "EURO 2016" mode (a thing which I find very strange). In that mode, I find the CPU more varied. I still cannot explain it for the life of mine.
As it as always been with WE/PES, you get to taste the real game-play in cup mode or master league mode (this is true to the series since the PlayStation 1 days).

Exhibition matches have always had shallower/dumber game-play and have never been a point of reference for me.

I am enjoying playing PES 2017 now for awhile.
Need a working editor tool for editing player abilities globally.
Playing with PA1 but passing still overpowered. I'd like to tone it down to -10 (short and long passing).

Back
Top Bottom