PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Well, it's challenging, but many games end 0-0. The AI creates only a few chances, but also allows me very little.

Top Player was more fun, but was far too easy. A somewhat frustrating situation, because how nice are 3-2 wins, but that hardly ever happens.

Playing as West Ham.
I’m playing as Middlesbrough and have had a few 0-0s too. I think it’s always like that in the first half of the season in ML. Or are you deep into your save?

Also, I find on manual controls, the CPU is more tame and doesn’t play as direct - which isn’t a bad thing, but it results in lots of bore draws.

I’m playing as Middlesbrough and have had a few 0-0s too. I think it’s always like that in the first half of the season in ML. Or are you deep into your save?

Also, I find on manual controls, the CPU is more tame and doesn’t play as direct - which isn’t a bad thing, but it results in lots of bore draws.
Yes, only 12 games played, so far I have only conceded 6 goals.
My team spirit is 81.

When I use PA1, it's easy to play Tiki-Taka.

nearly none of my 2017 matches end 0:0! mostly its 2:1, 2:2, 1:0... somtimes a bit higher score of 4:2, 3:1 or 4:1.
enough fouls, enough goals... i'm good.
first time the arc comes up at set pieces i turn it off. then it feels kinda like the old system (wich i believe is still behind it). overall so much better set pieces than in 2020, imo!
i use not only left/right for curving, i use up/down for more low curled or high balooned set pieces. so much variety in this itself. like it!

example: from 25 meter... bring a free kick in with fully left or right curl but aim the stick a bit down... just a tad... and try to curve it around the wall and mid high to your striker/recipient! R2 close control to collect... do whatever you like! love it!

what i'm currently working on: letting a high pass drop down from my chest or upper leg, then pressing R3 and looping it over my opponent (kinda bergkamp style) and then rip one hell of a shot towards target! LOOOOVE IT! :D

full manual on superstart 20 minutes is what i'm playing!

edit: save some money you guys and let us have a meeting for real! been saying that for years! lets meet and play! :) at least the european guys...!

Last edited:
I get quite a few 0-0s but did get a bizarre 9-0 win a couple of days ago. This was using fixed-cursor and was against the worst team in the league but it was on superstar. My player scored the first and then the rest of the team just turned it on and helped themselves to some really nicely worked goals.

One thing I did like was that the other team did create a few chances but missed them all because their stats dictated they weren't very good at finishing. I think this is the last PES game that does that for the cpu team. The other team also started fouling my guys quite a lot towards the end.

nearly none of my 2017 matches end 0:0!
That's probably my biggest issue with 2017 (which I love, by the way - but can't play in 2020, I just can't "accept" the gameplay given where we should be).

Every game feels action-packed - and tactics aren't as important (especially defensively) as they should be, IMO. There are so many fast-paced-passing moves and amazing goals that it reminds me of the days when FIFA got roundly criticised for being all-action and too "Hollywood" (and that was fair criticism by the way - and still is, because of how superpowered dribbling is in that game).

I do agree that Top Player feels a little too easy and Superstar feels a little too brutal, When i say too easy, I mean like you never really feel any danger and that it's really easy to control the game. Superstar, The AI is great but also busts out the blitzball tiki taka too which is immersion breaking.

I also recall one of the few faults this game has and was prominent throughout the Fox era is that PA1 still feels super assisted. To the point where you have great passing accuracy without much effort or concentration, Yet manual is way to consequential to fall back on instead.

So i guess the theme i'm going for here is, Some things wasn't very well balanced - Way too much of an extreme difference between Top Player and Superstar... Between Manual and PA1.

It's weird cause in my old ML days on 2017 I remember having a lot of 0-0s as well, in a way which almost felt Pes5esque. I remember in particular that I had this incredible streak with my Tottenham try which was a plethora of 0-0 with some 1-1 mixed in.

We finally nailed the Pc-Console difference :D?

5 more games, only one goal conceded. The AI can take the ball far too easily in the attack, they always dribble into my defenders who press. I am so jealous of that 4:2 and 3:1 results :BORED:

Why should it get better as the ML progresses? The AI just doesn't come into the box (I can easily defend by pressing X on the PS4)

BTW: I only play 10 minutes, but I don't see that as a big problem.

i tried this again and it seems so odd the AI shooting from 35 yards, just doesnt happen in any of the recent games - the whole AI shot variety is considerably more

I tried to get into this again because of the rekindled love shown for it but i find the shooting so overpowered. I am not saying that every shot is on target but every shot is well hit regardless of stats. It kills it for me i’m afraid. :((

That's probably my biggest issue with 2017 (which I love, by the way - but can't play in 2020, I just can't "accept" the gameplay given where we should be).

Every game feels action-packed - and tactics aren't as important (especially defensively) as they should be, IMO. There are so many fast-paced-passing moves and amazing goals that it reminds me of the days when FIFA got roundly criticised for being all-action and too "Hollywood" (and that was fair criticism by the way - and still is, because of how superpowered dribbling is in that game).
my ML matches in 2017 are closer. 0:1's... but i play a lot of SA cups and exhibition in between.
overall my ML matches have a variety of results. so its not becoming boring for me.

I tried to get into this again because of the rekindled love shown for it but i find the shooting so overpowered. I am not saying that every shot is on target but every shot is well hit regardless of stats. It kills it for me i’m afraid. :((
hm.. this game has some nice scrub shots and deflections when trying to volley... i have some "accidents" on video.
the randomness and variety is unmatched on ps4 PES, imo!

but i'm playing fuma! that might be the thing.

nearly none of my 2017 matches end 0:0! mostly its 2:1, 2:2, 1:0... somtimes a bit higher score of 4:2, 3:1 or 4:1.
enough fouls, enough goals... i'm good.
first time the arc comes up at set pieces i turn it off. then it feels kinda like the old system (wich i believe is still behind it). overall so much better set pieces than in 2020, imo!
i use not only left/right for curving, i use up/down for more low curled or high balooned set pieces. so much variety in this itself. like it!

example: from 25 meter... bring a free kick in with fully left or right curl but aim the stick a bit down... just a tad... and try to curve it around the wall and mid high to your striker/recipient! R2 close control to collect... do whatever you like! love it!

what i'm currently working on: letting a high pass drop down from my chest or upper leg, then pressing R3 and looping it over my opponent (kinda bergkamp style) and then rip one hell of a shot towards target! LOOOOVE IT! :D

full manual on superstart 20 minutes is what i'm playing!

edit: save some money you guys and let us have a meeting for real! been saying that for years! lets meet and play! :) at least the european guys...!
How do you turn off arc? And does it stay turned off for every match?

yes, it stays off for the rest of that particular match. just press R1 (i think) when it first pops up! i guess its R1... i have some good muscle memory regarding PES! :D
So for me R2? I swap the shoulder buttons around!

So for me R2? I swap the shoulder buttons around!
i guess so! not sure if the control guide displayed top right corner changes as well if you swapped buttons.
should be easy to find out, pal. give it a try and when you see no arc... you could think of the old days of set pieces. not sure if stats are taken into account to the fullest... but again, this is much much better than in 2020!

It's weird cause in my old ML days on 2017 I remember having a lot of 0-0s as well, in a way which almost felt Pes5esque.
I think that's a fair comparison. This game felt like the first time they really nailed that classic PES feeling on the new engine. Up until this game everything felt like an unfinished prototype with playable mannequins to me. This was the first game where everything felt alive, Controls were the most responsive and the AI made you forget you was playing against the CPU.

i tried this again and it seems so odd the AI shooting from 35 yards, just doesn't happen in any of the recent games - the whole AI shot variety is considerably more
Yeah this and the fact the AI would try things it's generally "not supposed to" on later games. On PES 2020 the opposition plays exactly the same way and tries the exact same stop and cross on the wing or the driven pass from the back 180 turn from striker. It's pretty mundane.

Here the AI actually tries through-balls and dribbling, Knocks the ball into touch to take a shot from range and even performs lots of feints and tricks with the appropriate players. It's a real joy!

I know what you're saying, It feels like almost any player is capable of powerful, cracking strike. '15 & '19 was guilty of this aswell where it felt like there wasn't much diversity in shooting power. Everything was a wicked fast paced shot.

i guess so! not sure if the control guide displayed top right corner changes as well if you swapped buttons.
should be easy to find out, pal. give it a try and when you see no arc... you could think of the old days of set pieces. not sure if stats are taken into account to the fullest... but again, this is much much better than in 2020!
Yep this game isn't perfect and it looks rough around the edges. Some of the pitch textures are pathetic for a game released in 2016.

But it's fun. I don't need a super realistic, sim heavy football video game. I'd play Football Manager if I wanted 100% realism.

I always say this but that's what is missing from PES 2018, 2019 and 2020. The fun factor. PES 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 (and 6 to an extent) were fun, addictive games at the time. PES has always been accessible but there's a database of stats and different ways of playing if you want to dig deeper and find it.

The issue for the series now is that Konami/Bhatti assume (assumed) that making a game super slow, heavy and boring is what makes them stand apart from FIFA. But personally I don't want that. I want games with lots going on. I want to see midfield battles, sure. But I don't need 30 minute matches where nothing happens either.

When on My 7th season with Milan having won it all the past 5 years,and probably losing 4-5 league games per season (comparing with Liverpool//City/Juventus/BM) I'm pretty good having those numbers,that's were it should be being a powerhouse.
Though when you're on a winning streak of 8-10 games,you really feel the CPU throwing it all at you,I usually score from the 75th and fw,guess 2-0/3-1 is my average scoreline

I'm on PA0 on this game,probably the only modern Pes games where your players aren't zombies when it comes to reacting on PAO.
Also the easiest/most assisted PA0 in any Pes game,I usually have around 75% passing (18-19 around 60-65)

But playing this s on PA1 + is way to easy on TP,pretty good balance on PA0 though

Well after being frustrated and annoyed with 2020 I stuck this in my ps4 and started a master league I drew 1 lost 2 in my first 3 games but can honestly say I had a blast and laughed a few times especially playing verona and chopping down pazzini in the rain and watching him swan dive into the corner flag lol

It may feel a little basic compared to the more recent ones but it's a lot of fun
and a bit dramatic but if this was a arcade machine game I'd definitely feel the urge put in more money after each game

Well after being frustrated and annoyed with 2020 I stuck this in my ps4 and started a master league I drew 1 lost 2 in my first 3 games but can honestly say I had a blast and laughed a few times especially playing verona and chopping down pazzini in the rain and watching him swan dive into the corner flag lol

It may feel a little basic compared to the more recent ones but it's a lot of fun
and a bit dramatic but if this was a arcade machine game I'd definitely feel the urge put in more money after each game
Yeah this game definitely has that "one more game" feeling that has been missing in PES since. I'm still enjoying this and I've got a save going on FIFA 15.

Yeah it's very rigid! Good game though! Hope you're well mate.
Im fine mate,a bit of vacation (or staycation) with some swimming/stand up surf/skateboarding etc.
I played 15 a lot,probably my most played game (FIFA).
Had like 7-8 seasons with Sunderland on it.
Good times!
Hope you're doing fine,and enjoy the weather mate

It's March 16th 2026. And Barcelona are currently 19th.

oc44jztkosh51.jpg

I played for them last season (BAL) and helped then win a title. So what was my reward? They stripped me off captaincy. So I took my talents back to Atletico. We're in 1st and almost guaranteed the title. Barcelona are close to relegation. Poetic justice.

hi i got pes 17 the other day off a friend for the ps4 and would like to make the teams official. was just after a download link if theres one still kicking abouts and maybe some advice on how to get it on the ps4.. thanks

when someone gets his hands to a PS5 please can you check if it plays pes 2017 + option files :).

Last edited:
I do get a lot out the career features as I haven’t played them as much as ML.

I wouldn’t say I have settled. I play both games atm. Part of it surely is the graphics update FIFA received and the hope some gameplay elements had changed for the better.

When you have played some hours, you will notice that all the control possibilities offered can be brought down to a few moves that are working the best. I do not play to win, I do play to represent football. Even on fuma you will get assisted and that I can’t stand. Annoys me all the time and still I keep on playing a couple of matches a week. I’m an addict. :)
Works fine , another game that looks way better than on my pro

Back
Top Bottom