PES 2017 Playtest impressions

Lami

Niche Football
28 May 2007
Sydney
Man Utd, Juve
Original google-translated impression removed and replaced with a ton of proper PES 2017 impressions. Enjoy all the reading!

Redbull
Eurogamer (Thanks Chris)
Gamespot
Gamesradar
God is a geek
Digital Spy
WENB
Trusted reviews (Thanks Robbieryan)
The Sixth Axis (Thanks Ameppe)
Videogamer (Thanks maze32)
IGN
True-gaming (Arabic) (Thanks ballboy12)
Esport kicker (German)
Playstation Access (Video) (Thanks maze32)
PSU
International Business Times
IGN (Italian), IGN Adam interview (Italian), IGN tactical indepth (Italian) (Thanks Ameppe)
Gamereactor (Italian) (Thanks Ameppe)
Multiplayer (Italian) (Thanks maze32)
PESFan (Thanks ThomasGOAL)
Video Gamer (Video) (Thanks gabe.paul.logan)

PES Day impressions (Click on spoilers to reveal impressions from tweets posted by many playtesters):

robbieryan's post:
i'm following the #PESday hashtag and seeing a couple of tweets coming through, albeit non english. If i get time i'll post up anything i see that's relevant here:

so far:

If you want to exchange a player in the Formationsscreen, you can see immediately what value had other players at his position. #PESDay - @PESianity
New information screen with player faces (finally!). Looks very good - @PESianity
We confirm the tempo of slow match - @WENB_ES
highlights: many new animations - @WENB_ES
Player reviews can be viewed already at the half-time break, new stats ball winning, events, etc - @PESianity
Replays flow normal speed So refreshing to see.. faces look like they are on another level.. more lifelike - @DJDaymos
Camera angles look like a hand held TV cam when the players came off at half time.. quality - @DJDaymos
Arguments still look a bit stiff #PES2017 - @AshElNegro
Transitions between camera angles are not like before #PES2017 No black screen pause ie gap... Replys are relevant clips only - @DJDaymos
New player attributes - Body Control & Physical Contact - @AshElNegro
keepers seem to be a massive improvement just smashed a shot toward the bottom corner v @bad_boy_g & Lloris tipped it round the post - @PESFanPirate
Through balls over the top don't seem to be so OP with defenders reading it most of the time and managing to intercept - @PESFanPirate
deep defensive line is fantasticPart of advanced instructions' stops any long balls! Amazing how the defenders stop all L1 triangle - @bad_boy_g
The way the ball moves is so accurate! They've toned down the sped of the game! So many advanced instructions! Trying them all -@bad_boy_g
Passing is smooth with long balls less affective! Positive so far played @PESFan_Pirate two games won one and lost one! The battles r good - @bad_boy_g
The realism on pes17 is amazing + keepers are doing some fantastic saves! - @bad_boy_g
When a player gets booked now, the card appears next to their name at the bottom of the screen - @GariClark
One word GOALKEEPERS - ‏@danielrhenry
everything feels so free on the pitch #PESDay - ‏@danielrhenry
seen 1 one on one so far R2 worked but will try it a few more times to see how it works out #PESDay #PES2017 - @PESFanPirate
Also, the shooting is so much more organic now compared to how it was last year. It now feels rewarding - @GariClark
At free-kicks, there are the obligatory spray by the referee, however without annoying sequences like a different game... - @PESianity
Nets are more realistic and react how they should. - @GariClark
Referees make mistakes, but they're realistic mistakes based on referees position and speed of play - @AshElNegro
Both Attacking and Defending are more difficult but rewarding. Skills make more sense but not overpowered - @AshElNegro
R2 shots are hit and miss as not all are going in keepers are making saves on shots that go in on PES2016 - @PESFanPirate
It feels that way (Is the game harder?), yeah. You have to work harder now to get results - @GariClark
Shooting is more natural and dynamic (Is there shot variation?) and the refs are a lot better at blowing for fouls and playing advantage etc - @GariClark
Body Control attribute greatly affects dribbling and allows players like Sanchez and Cazorla to do bits - @AshElNegro
just a quick one - if you want to shut up shop you can defending is so solid - @Danielrhenry
'Ultra responsive' 'natural' 'immersive' three words I'd use to describe #PES2017 so far - @Glen_pesworld
So far, wow. Actually so impressed. Can also confirm through ball spamming is gone, thoroughly tested by Few people - @damidnitekid
honestly through ball spammers will be destroyed - defending is so awesome this year - @danielrhenry
I was very dirty! Refs don't let you get away with fouling and Doing super cancel - @bad_boy_g
I am now afraid of the ref - they will punish you - @danielrhenry
Al players aren't making rash decisions! (do the refs show AI the red card?) Refs are actually realistic strict but won't just give reds - @bad_boy_g
you can do he Gegenpress is part of the advanced instructions! And teams press real hard so for people who time waste you can use this new feature to win the ball back! It's awesome!! - @bad_boy_g
Passes are good there is a leap in quality for this in automatic to be aware of the power, Position to give the pass will be very important for their effectiveness - @WENB_ES
Gone are the days of usin super cancel 2 get out of free kicks, keep getting pulled up straight away unless clear advantage is there - @PESFanPirate
Goalkeepers now have many more animations. Are much more secure, stop much more - @WENB_ES
(‏@Bluetony88 do the cpu actually make fouls this year?) YEP - @Glen_pesworld
(‏@iam_emmo when you play against AI do all their shots go low in the bottom corner as per PES16?) nope it's more varied, they'll try many different ways to score including more crossing of the ball - @Glen_pesworld
One AI game down. Shooting is great, passing is amazing, keepers are beautiful, referees are improved but have a few flaws. Overall, v happy - @nicodimaria
It's similar to PES 2016, but instead of a dotted line, it's now just a line (for free kicks/corners) - @GariClark
Yeah, more variation and no, it's harder to do that (running with ball from one end to the other) with a CB now as the players close down space better - @GariClark
kits are flowing it looks amazing. When a player jumps his shirt sometimes lifts and you see a bit of belly - @Glen_pesworld
I've played on game against cpu they were very unpredictable (in terms of scripting) - @glen_pesworld
With R2 shots are now less effective both outside and inside the area. - @WENB_ES
(‏@robbieshq Is that bug still in where you can keep possession in your own half and the AI don't attempt to win it back?) nope the opposition are very intuitive in this game - @glen_pesworld
(‏@jiinala also one area which annoyed me a lot, do all players have quick acceleration or has that been individualised) Its a lot better now - @GariClark
So far all day only one own goal has gone in - better team AI - @danielrhenry
the AI adapts to what you are doing you find yourself attacking one way then trying something else - @danielrhenry
one thing they've really wanted to focus on is goalkeepers! And they've really made keepers stronger!, we can expect keepers saving the shots that you expect them to save and some you'll be surprised that they save, keepers are so strong this year possibly the best Pes keepers in the decade, you have to earn every single goal! You will feel rewarded after scoring! - @bad_boy_g
it's still in the game (rainbow flick) but it's very stoppable! Early days so hopefully it will be even less affective - @bad_boy_g
no you don't see that (shirt pulling) but you do see players challenging each other to win the ball - @bad_boy_g
I'm just hoping they tweak little bits like ref blowing 4 full time whilst someone is attacking! They are working on it (any negatives?) - @bad_boy_g
you will see players attempting to win the ball back! - @bad_boy_g
The Grass looks 3d in the replays - @WENB_ES
Collisions now are much more credible, there are still some "stunning" ��, but very improved - @WENB_ES
Manual mode feels like #PES2016 - @WENB_ES

gabe.paul.logan's post:
UK COMMUNITY IMPRESSIONS from PESDAY

Pirate ‏@PESFan_Pirate 9m9 minutes ago Windsor, South East
Through balls over the top don't seem to be so OP with defenders reading it most of the time and managing to intercept #PESday

dunno what the personal preference of this guy tho

YouTube : Shogun FC ‏@AshElNegro 16m16 minutes ago
New player attributes - Body Control & Physical Contact #PES2017

thats quiet less than i expected

Damian® Daymos™ ‏@DJDaymos 20m20 minutes ago
Transitions between camera angles are not like before #PES2017

No black screen pause ie gap...

Replys are relevant clips only

Damian® Daymos™ ‏@DJDaymos 36m36 minutes ago
Replays flow normal speed #PESDAY
#PES2017
So refreshing to see.. faces look like they are on another level.. more lifelike

Pirate ‏@PESFan_Pirate 17m17 minutes ago
#PESday keepers seem to be a massive improvement just smashed a shot toward the bottom corner v @bad_boy_g & Lloris tipped it round the post

Gari Clark ‏@GariClark 1m1 minute ago Windsor, South East
Also, the shooting is so much more organic now compared to how it was last year. It now feels rewarding

Ali ‏@bad_boy_g 16m16 minutes ago
deep defensive line is fantasticPart of advanced instructions' stops any long balls! Amazing how the defenders stop all L1 triangle #PESday

Ali ‏@bad_boy_g 11m11 minutes ago
So far keepers look 100
Times better plus defenders are so much more clever! We haven't had any huge goal games #PESday #PES2017

Gari Clark ‏@GariClark 3m3 minutes ago Windsor, South East
@mr_mj82 @Kamron09 Nets are more realistic and react how they should.

Gari Clark ‏@GariClark 6m6 minutes ago Windsor, South East
@Alex_Malcolm79 Shooting is more natural and dynamic and the refs are a lot better at blowing for fouls and playing advantage etc

Pirate ‏@PESFan_Pirate now3 seconds ago
@bad_boy_g @Marhoomy @Adam_Bhatti R2 shots are hit and miss as not all are going in keepers are making saves on shots that go in on PES2016

Ali ‏@bad_boy_g 37s38 seconds ago
Advanced instructions 'swam the box' utilise this when I was winning at 85th minute! Allow to defend in numbers to hold your lead #PESDay

Gábor Szkokán ‏@szkoki 5m5 minutes ago
@bad_boy_g Is there any pass error or passes are just as accurate as they were in 2016? Also how are the passing assistance lvls?Same again?
Ali ‏@bad_boy_g 3m3 minutes ago
@szkoki not every pass is completely accurate! And the different levels give you more freedom but the more you master the more you can do

Gábor Szkokán ‏@szkoki 24m24 minutes ago
@NicoDiMaria_ please tell me if AI shots are varied, no bottom corner spamfest again :D :) have fun!

Nico ⚜ ‏@NicoDiMaria_ 6m6 minutes ago Windsor, South East
@szkoki huge variation. Lot's crosses into box, shots from distance etc

Pirate Retweeted
PESFan ‏@PESFannews 30m30 minutes ago
"Lower passing levels give more freedom. If you master it you'll be rewarded" - @PESFan_Pirate testing #PES2017 support settings. #PESDay

Ali ‏@bad_boy_g 2h2 hours ago
The way the ball moves is so accurate! They've toned down the sped of the game! So many advanced instructions! Trying them all #PESDay

Kamron Singh ‏@Kamron09 7m7 minutes ago
@GariClark Is there still dotted lines for free-kicks/corners/goal kicks?

Gari Clark
‏@GariClark
@Kamron09 It's similar to PES 2016, but instead of a dotted line, it's now just a line

jimmy tzinalas ‏@jiinala 54m54 minutes ago
@GariClark @8bitJose is there variation between players to passing shooting, can CB run from one end to another doing diagonal runs

Gari Clark
‏@GariClark
@jiinala @8bitJose Yeah, more variation and no, it's harder to do that with a CB now as the players close down space better

Betting Man ‏@FTWBettingTips 17m17 minutes ago
@GariClark @Kamron09 Are the refs better for yellows? Could get away with assault on pes2016 most of the time!

Gari Clark
‏@GariClark
@FTWBettingTips @Kamron09 Yeah, they are more realistic now. They blow up or play the advantage

Damian® Daymos™ ‏@DJDaymos 2h2 hours ago
@pdn_sujin @AshElNegro ref has been good.. not card happy.. and not soft.. seems just right for now..

TheMidniteKid PESUNI ‏@DaMidniteKid 51m51 minutes ago
So far, wow. Actually so impressed. Can also confirm through ball spamming is gone, thoroughly tested by Few people like @lelly2sxc #PESday

Daniel Henry ‏@danielrhenry 1h1 hour ago
@DaMidniteKid @lelly2sxc honestly through ball spammers will be destroyed - defending is so awesome this year #PES2017

Glen PESW ‏@glen_pesworld 2m2 minutes ago
Visually #PES2017 is amazing even the fans have been given a makeover. You should see the players breathing out the cold air #chilly

jimmy tzinalas ‏@jiinala 24m24 minutes ago
@GariClark @8bitJose also one area which annoyed me a lot, do all players have quick acceleration or has that been individualised

Gari Clark
‏@GariClark
@jiinala @8bitJose Its a lot better now

Thanks to @PESFan_Pirate @AshElNegro @DJDaymos @GariClark @bad_boy_g @NicoDiMaria_ @PESFannews @DaMidniteKid @glen_pesworld

Lelly (PES youtuber) (Thanks ballboy12)

Last edited:
More impressions will be added here when embargo is lifted, to keep them all in one place.

Dude, at least acknowledge my contribution. I spent some time translating that summary and chosen your forum to post it on. Anyway, I don't know how to reply to messages. Is it tied to a certain post counts?

Dude, at least acknowledge my contribution. I spent some time translating that summary and chosen your forum to post it on. Anyway, I don't know how to reply to messages. Is it tied to a certain post counts?

Well I did leave your post in the other thread. I'll add your post to the first post then. Apologies :)

No worries. The English is a bit funny though from google translate.

"The issue of the ease of shooting and scoring from last year has been addressed. Now you have to position yourself and aim properly to get an excellent shot."

Am I getting it wrong, or there it says that body balance now is take into account when shooting ?

"The issue of the ease of shooting and scoring from last year has been addressed. Now you have to position yourself and aim properly to get an excellent shot."

Am I getting it wrong, or there it says that body balance now is take into account when shooting ?
Yes, how you worded it is exactly what it meant in the Arabic article. Whether it's an accurate description of what's in the game remains a question.

Last edited:
The translation turned out like it was written by the Tamarians in the Star Trek episode 'Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra' .. . .'walls come tumbling down 'Darmok and Jalad on the ocean'etc. Pity he didn't give feedback on refs and whether there was high shots.

That's what I understood too.

Lets hope so. That was one of the strongest aspects of shooting on the golden ps2 era, it was essential to create that variety thats been lacking :PRAY:

Last edited:
The translation turned out like it was written by the Tamarians in the Star Trek episode 'Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra' .. . .'walls come tumbling down 'Darmok and Jalad on the ocean'etc. Pity he didn't give feedback on refs and whether there was high shots.

:LOL:

Man, now I'm pretty hyped. Graphics improving comes as no surprise but still had me excited to see it in motion.

Pleased to hear about goal Keepers and the ease of goal scoring being addressed, goal currently feels anti climatic at times when you feel Keepers didn't put up much of a challenge.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

As long as it does not mention body balance, i would not count that in :D

OMG, just read this

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2016/06/01/hands-on-with-pro-evolution-soccer-17/

On several occasions during the 10 or so matches that I played, they pulled out spectacular double saves that bordered on the impossible, let alone the plausible. Of course, all of this is subject to change, but I hope some of the excesses are toned down. 0-0 games are not particularly fun and even 1-0 is rarely going to be that high on drama.

0-0 or 1-0 games are not fun. :FAIL:

Let's go, goalkeepers being for once good are called superhuman, let's prepare ourself for nerfed goalkeepers at release date, just wait, i tell you.

And this is why he says this:

I do find these things quite difficult to pick up on, personally, as someone who only occasionally plays football games and very rarely watches.

Why making a preview if you occasionally play football games? Casual press.

Just read eurogamer preview and he is too not so keen on the much slower pace. Once again, let me tell you, casual press.

Last edited:
Just read eurogamer preview and he is too not so keen on the much slower pace. Once again, let me tell you, casual press.
Yeah, as I said in the discussion thread, the fact that he says this stuff makes me think it's much more to my taste than the last PES (and this was the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear, to be honest):

The surprise is how slow this new Pro Evolution Soccer feels.
After just over an hour's play I'm still not entirely sure it's to my taste.
Adam Bhatti says there'll be no more 6-6 draws like we saw in last year's game - I'm too embarrassed to admit I've gone whole afternoons with the game happy with the brace of goals I'd bundled in off wayward shins.
If you're literate in football - I'm a Chelsea fan, for heaven's sake, so I'll happily admit I'm not[...]

Slower pace is great, as long as it doesn't affect responsiveness.

id rather have 1-0 games than 3-2 or 6-6

Pes was never about a goal frenzy. Some of my best ever games were 1-0 or 0-0

Back
Top Bottom