PES 2018 BETA Discussion Thread

Had no internet over the weekend so didn't get any more time on the beta :(

really started to enjoy playing very compact and defensively, just being patient and waiting for the error, pouncing on the loose ball. Ended up in quite a few nil nils so will be a useful tactic if you're by far the worse team, maybe not so much for 2 top sides unless you plan on boring the opponent into quitting. anyway it's nice to see that pay off.

I just think it's ridiculous to have a big circle appear on the goal showing where you are aiming, don't know how people can play like that. Even if they added more error it will always be baby mode to me with that circle. There needs to be a setting in between manual and basic

I just turn off all that stuff.

Close it up let's head back to the PES thread? Don't understand why we have a new thread anyway. Are we going to start a new one for the demo then another for the full game?

Silly admins
There were a few members who requested that we started a thread for the beta, to separate discussion about PES news and beta opinions. Despite us then having to cut-and-paste posts from one to the other when people just ignored the signposts (we knew we'd be giving ourselves more work, but it made sense as a way of trying to keep the news thread from filling up with non-news).

Seeing as most people are going to be discussing what they loved and hated about the beta for weeks to come, we may as well keep both threads running - though as soon as the "PES World Tour" resumes next month, I imagine this thread will sink like a stone.

I just think it's ridiculous to have a big circle appear on the goal showing where you are aiming, don't know how people can play like that. Even if they added more error it will always be baby mode to me with that circle. There needs to be a setting in between manual and basic

There is, it's called Advanced.

Turn the circle off.

Guh.

Lol. Utter bullshit.

absolutely loved the BETA. prob the best introduction to a new PES game for a decade, and im playing it online!
imagine what the offline demo is going to be like. finally being able to plot and plan a game against an online opponent has been a joy.
In the past if your opponent just wanted to run and dribble all day with Neymar the games where an unenjoyable nightmare but now its great fun because the defending is so good. you can actually mark space, force them into areas you want them and force the error.
one-twos can be stopped by following your man! just like real life.
and alternately you can do some lovely little give and go moves in and around the box if the opposition just holds the pressure button and lets the runner go, great stuff.
dribbling is great I think especially with players with quick feet. I had difficulty at first when in control of Pogba with his languid style, but now using subtle movements of the left stick he looks like Zidane playing in the park with kids! quick feet creating space, drawing in defenders, slide rule pass, goal scoring opportunity.
I also really like the shooting I use basic mostly which I still find a challenge and rewarding never felt like I have scored/conceded a 'cheat' goal yet. and the goalkeepers are fantastic, some of the saves have been out of this world.

I think think they have got the balance between attack and defend spot on this year which will make for some great games, its a battle of the minds - for the first time ever I am changing the way I play as a result of the formation the opp has picked.
I am being so positive because I cannot believe how good this BETA is compered to the mostly rubbish we have been fed for a decade.

oh and Kante is so Kante he's more Kante than the real life Kante!

Glad the beta is now over tbh I could see the issues with the game and playing only those 2 teams was starting to nauseate.

I also cant deal with constantly being told its not for gameplay and only connection that is being tested. When there are so many little issues that need to be addressed you hope that they actually are fixed but just know it won't.

I am going to love when people say the beta was perfect but the demo is now a step back and the full game is going to be another step back.... It's bound that happen.

I also cant deal with constantly being told its not for gameplay and only connection that is being tested.

But it was true though. And it was warned and advertised beforehand.
I get what you're saying though, but the amount of people who chose not to read or care about that statement and go ahead complaining about gameplay and/or graphics is huge. Everyday you could read on Twitter how Adam had to repeat many many times "Beta is for online testing online. Don't judge Gameplay/Graphics. There will be a Demo for that". And I can't even imagine how many other people tweeted him about the same and did't get an answer. Sometimes I wonder if people are dumb or what is going on in the world.

Sometimes I wonder if people are dumb or what is going on in the world.
It's that we're too hyped probably, and can't wait to play the proper demo (so somehow we "cast" our expectations on this beta, if this makes sense). At least this is the reason we're discussing gameplay and such here at least.

I'm pretty grateful for Konami to allow us to sample PES 18 this early in some capacity, even though it's under the less preferble environment of the online mode.

Having said that it says a largely enjoyable experience, for the most part most of my games were smooth & playable with occasional latency in others. The best online gaming had been in this series. Time will tell what its like come full release & fast more active players.

There were however some of the frustrations you'd expect when playing online, Sprint & pressure abusers, Dick heads shooting from all kinds of ridiculous areas & often scoring that way too..

But when you played someone who shared the same vision & respect for the game, it was a freaking joy. And you'd get that kind of competitiveness, intensity & atmosphere in a match that you wouldn't get offline against the AI.

Im looking forward to the demo & experimenting with Manual & the tactics with less pressure & stress but I can see myself sampling the online component alot more in 18.

It's that we're too hyped probably, and can't wait to play the proper demo (so somehow we "cast" our expectations on this beta, if this makes sense). At least this is the reason we're discussing gameplay and such here at least.

Sure, of course it makes sense. We're humans and we get carried away by emotions. However, what doesn't make any sense is to take those emotions and frustrations with the beta and complain about it to the very same person who asked us NOT TO DO THAT way before we tried the beta. It is one thing to do it to yourself or here (in a Forum where we are supposed to share opinions and debate) but it's a totally different one to take it to the man in charge of the game.

If I was him, I would straight up dismiss any questions/requests/complaints about the Beta if they weren't related to ONLINE specifically.

Dickheads shooting from all kinds of ridiculous areas and often scoring that way too???

I play PES since PES1.
All that time i played exactly one online game (i lost it with 7 or 8 nil and i say to myself that i lost because of the lag, which is probably not true).

But if you score a goal in football (and also in virtual football), there is no ridiculous area...not at all.

When Maradonna started that dribble inside his own half in june 1986, that was crazy...it turned out to be one of the iconic goals in football.

Van Basten was a dickhead in 1988 when he tried that shot from that angle.

Crazy what Beckham attempted against Wimbledon, he sould never play onlin, sorry football...

I really don't see your point, but it sums up why i never will play online (that and because i want to preserve my 100% record of course).

When Maradonna started that dribble inside his own half in june 1986, that was crazy...it turned out to be one of the iconic goals in football.

Crazy what Beckham attempted against Wimbledon, he sould never play onlin, sorry football...
You know what, trying one shot from an absurd position once in a lifetime (e.g. van Basten) or once every 3 or 4 matches (when playing PES online, but it also applies to FIFA) is a thing, trying to exploit the game by trying the same exact weird shot (or pass, like the LB+Y passes that used to be unstoppable in FIFA until a couple of years ago) just 'cause you know it's overly effective (I dare say OP) is a different thing.
People like those abusers are the reason I decided to call it quits and almost only play offline now (very rarely I go online and it's only against selected friends).

Dickheads shooting from all kinds of ridiculous areas and often scoring that way too???

I play PES since PES1.
All that time i played exactly one online game (i lost it with 7 or 8 nil and i say to myself that i lost because of the lag, which is probably not true).

But if you score a goal in football (and also in virtual football), there is no ridiculous area...not at all.

I really don't see your point, but it sums up why i never will play online (that and because i want to preserve my 100% record of course).
:LOL::LOL::APPLAUD::APPLAUD:

agreed

I'm hyped!
Played 5 days with PA1 and Basic Shooting.
havn't lost one single game, I got bored.
PES 13 was the last time i realy enjoyed the full manuel expirence.
So i gave PES18 a try.
ITS ABSOLUTLY FCKNG FANTASTIC!!!!!
and the best thing about it, i found opponents under 1 min and a lot! Not like in the old days, u face the same Opponent over 3 hours.
If this will carrie on like this.....this would be my best PES Experince ever..... FCK PES 5-6

Having said that it says a largely enjoyable experience, for the most part most of my games were smooth & playable with occasional latency in others. The best online gaming had been in this series. Time will tell what its like come full release & fast more active players.

There were however some of the frustrations you'd expect when playing online, Sprint & pressure abusers, Dick heads shooting from all kinds of ridiculous areas & often scoring that way too..

But when you played someone who shared the same vision & respect for the game, it was a freaking joy. And you'd get that kind of competitiveness, intensity & atmosphere in a match that you wouldn't get offline against the AI.

Im looking forward to the demo & experimenting with Manual & the tactics with less pressure & stress but I can see myself sampling the online component alot more in 18.

Very true.
But it's not necessarily a thing of PES 2018.
Those ugly opponents come with every single release and in different games too.
Best thing is looking for opponents saving them in your friends list.
Let's have a full manual thread here.
Would love to play some games with y'all.

Saying that advanced shooting is baby mode is plain stupid. In real life when you take a shot you pick a target and try to hit it. Sure there isn't a target but your pick your spot out, the success of which depends on the time on the ball and your ability. The advanced shooting trues to replicate that and I am pretty sure you can turn off that target as well.

Saying that advanced shooting is baby mode is plain stupid. In real life when you take a shot you pick a target and try to hit it. Sure there isn't a target but your pick your spot out, the success of which depends on the time on the ball and your ability. The advanced shooting trues to replicate that and I am pretty sure you can turn off that target as well.

It's still too assisted, in real life you can "pick" the top corner but hit the corner flag, you hardly ever see really bad shots in PES except with manual. Basic and advanced are both lacking variation. Advanced shooting is almost like playing manual shooting using an aimbot with toned down settings to make it less obvious (because you can still miss, but its much harder). And this big circle makes it even more ridiculous, you can't force people to turn off the circle online, why include this in a competitive football game? We didn't like it on free kicks etc. I don't know how people can get satisfaction from this, when I see it on videos my reaction is :THINK:

I suggest to remove advanced shooting, make basic more free and varied, and then add something like FIFA's semi shooting which is half way between manual and basic.

Last edited:

i don't think could be totally different from pes2017 about assistance ,
In 2017 from here you can remove anything about match screen, guides , power gauge ,aiming target and so on
(i never see any guides and i use advanced shooting)
i didn't played the beta so i don't know is something is changed or if these options in the beta are disabled.

system setting ---> match screen setting

select side --- edit personal data (X on my button config)

i don't think could be totally different from pes2017 about assistance ,
IN 2017 from here you can remove anything about match screen, guides , power gauge ,aiming target and so on
(i never see any guides and i use advanced shooting)

But still people can use it online against you. We shouldn't have circles, free kick lines etc. in an online setting

Nobody's scoring more goals because of the bloody circle. Look at the size of it!! It's practically telling you that you're aiming within the same post code as the goal. All it really does is help the sort of person who switches on advanced shooting and doesn't have a clue how it works. You get no edge by having it switched on, other than it reminds you that pressing towards goal shoots higher. Big whoop. If you shoot when you shouldn't then you're still gonna miss.

Again, people knocking something they haven't tried.

Last edited:
Ok, i played about 15 games of this.

Only 2 where lag free, i enjoyed them both, one was 0-0, the other i lost in the last second due to a bug ( my player froze and never cleared the ball.

Apart from that every other game was a lag fest because i have crappy internet in my flat for now.

Despite the insane amount of lag an the fact i really cant give a proper assessment of the game, i do think the game is substantially better than last year. yeah its true its a substantial evolution of everything from lat year and its not as good as it can be, but! Its better! which is reassuring that konami are still making strides in gameplay. PES 2017 was great for gameplay but truly shocking off the pitch.

Will wait for he demo to give the game some proper assessment. Also hopefully we can get better internet in my house to give online a proper go!

It's still too assisted, in real life you can "pick" the top corner but hit the corner flag, you hardly ever see really bad shots in PES except with manual. Basic and advanced are both lacking variation. Advanced shooting is almost like playing manual shooting using an aimbot with toned down settings to make it less obvious (because you can still miss, but its much harder). And this big circle makes it even more ridiculous, you can't force people to turn off the circle online, why include this in a competitive football game? We didn't like it on free kicks etc. I don't know how people can get satisfaction from this, when I see it on videos my reaction is :THINK:

I suggest to remove advanced shooting, make basic more free and varied, and then add something like FIFA's semi shooting which is half way between manual and basic.
Whenever someone says make it like fifa I vomit a bit in my mouth. I wish people would stop saying this and stick to fifa.

Whenever someone says make it like fifa I vomit a bit in my mouth. I wish people would stop saying this and stick to fifa.
well he s right with what he s saying, basic needs to have much much more variation, fifa s implementation is that u never feel that the shot is floaty and like slow motion, example if ur close inside the 6yard box, pes will give u a floaty shot and keeper reactions feel slow.motion aswell, in fifa its never like that there is nt slow motion movement when ur shooting i can t explain it, it feels more varied less automatically scripted

You know what, trying one shot from an absurd position once in a lifetime (e.g. van Basten) or once every 3 or 4 matches (when playing PES online, but it also applies to FIFA) is a thing, trying to exploit the game by trying the same exact weird shot (or pass, like the LB+Y passes that used to be unstoppable in FIFA until a couple of years ago) just 'cause you know it's overly effective (I dare say OP) is a different thing.
People like those abusers are the reason I decided to call it quits and almost only play offline now (very rarely I go online and it's only against selected friends).

That is the reason why i never play online, it brings out the worst in human beings. But being like that is doing a freakish thing, i'm well aware of that.
Is it exploiting the game? No. It is in the game, the possibility is there, so why not using it.

Another analogy.
Tour de France 2017. Mont du Chat. Froome is in the yellow jersey and he has a mechanic problem with his bike. Aru attacks right at that moment. Other favourites want Aru to stop his attack (notably Porte). The favourites wait until Froome's problem is solved. Froome comes back i nthe group of favourites.
Less than 10 km's further up the road (or better further down the road), Porte makes a mistake in the descend and falls heavily, he takes with him another favourite down (Daniël Martin). Froome decides not to wait. Froome wins the Tour de France, Porte ends in hospital and Martin is 6th overall, Aru 5th.
Should Aru have waited? Everybody within cycling agrees: no.

You can't say people are dickheads because they exploit a possibility in the game.

well he s right with what he s saying, basic needs to have much much more variation, fifa s implementation is that u never feel that the shot is floaty and like slow motion, example if ur close inside the 6yard box, pes will give u a floaty shot and keeper reactions feel slow.motion aswell, in fifa its never like that there is nt slow motion movement when ur shooting i can t explain it, it feels more varied less automatically scripted
Stop trying to turn this into a PES vs fifa discussion

I personally do not like fifas unrealistic shooting speed and trajectories.

Nobody's scoring more goals because of the bloody circle. Look at the size of it!! It's practically telling you that you're aiming within the same post code as the goal. All it really does is help the sort of person who switches on advanced shooting and doesn't have a clue how it works. You get no edge by having it switched on, other than it reminds you that pressing towards goal shoots higher. Big whoop. If you shoot when you shouldn't then you're still gonna miss.

Again, people knocking something they haven't tried.

The guy is only saying that we all moaned about the guides in free kicks and yet the circle for advanced is fine , so the circle guide for advanced passing is ok and L1 guide for manual is fine? He's not against advanced just the guidelines which are pointing you in the right direction and I did try advanced and don't like it. . .it can throw up some unrealistic looking shots. . .I know I'm going to get flak for saying all this but having guidelines for some parts of the game but not wanting them for other parts is hypocritical. Calling manual players snobs is laughable, they're not looking down on anyone who doesn't play manual. . play the game whatever way you feel like playing it . .if you want to use 4 bars passing and every guideline possible in the game . .go for it . ..it's not some competition to see who's the most skilful . ..it's all about enjoying the game and if you do want to compete online against people who are using assisted and you are using manual you WILL be at a disadvantage but that's your own decision and don't use it as an excuse if you get beaten.

As per, the biggest load of shite I have read regards Advanced Shooting, but that in bold:

You are utterly, utterly terrible a football in real life.

The free kick guide was a line that went from the ball to the goal, near as damnit. It was properly easy to get free kicks on target as a result, to charge free kicks up to pretty near full power and watch the ball follow the line. It was much more of an assist than any other guide in the game, and it took a large element of skill out of that aspect of the game.

Making the same argument of assisted shooting is nonsense. Pure and simple. You don't score more goals by having the circle display. All it does is explain how the mechanic works in the broadest terms. It's such a small part of the act of shooting, it's not a line leading from the player into the goal and there are so many other variables at play compared to, say, the same reticule when taking penalties.

Making sweeping statements about guides in the first place is dumbing down the discussion. I've never done it - I think guides like the small L2 manual line are a great idea for encouraging the switch to manual. I've said before that I actually found advanced through ball easier without the reticule as it makes you focus on the pass more than a floating circle. I don't think I complained in here about the free kick lines, partly cos I haven't been about much for the past few years. But if I did it would be because it was much, much more than just a guide. There's no other guide in PES's of recent history that improves your productivity nearly as much as the free kick lines.

And yes of COURSE some manual players are utter snobs. Some people get into it because they want more variety and freedom, something which more closely resembles the real sport, something which encourages you to put information on the pass you play to instruct the recipient. Some people play it because it's harder, more 'hardcore', because they feel like there's more kudos attached to doing everything yourself.

Some people don't care how you play as long as they are able to compete, they don't care whether you're using guides as long as those guides aren't giving you any real advantage (e.g. the line from L2 isn't a replacement for instinctive feel when playing a manual pass). Some people are fundamentally against any guides or deviation from the most manual setup out of principle, regardless of the actual difference it makes from a gameplay perspective or in player effectiveness.

Oh, and that line from nigguhpleaz about advanced being like manual shooting with an aimbot - if anything I should have just quoted that and said

'Oh right, so you have no idea how advanced shooting works. Well I won't bother debating the subject with you then'.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom