PES 2018 BETA Discussion Thread

As per, the biggest load of shite I have read regards Advanced Shooting, but that in bold:

You are utterly, utterly terrible a football in real life.
Can you please respond more respectfully on here? Your kind of post doesn't help. Imagine if he responds in the same manner and it becomes a never-ending vicious cycle.

This post goes to everyone here as well as a reminder.

In all fairness Deco, you say not all manual players are snobs and while I can safely I wouldn't consider you to act like one, I don't think you can honestly say that holds true for others. Not if this conversation (and others) is anything to go by.

Unless I am missing something and all these folk saying Advanced Shooting is "baby mode" (or at least inferring it) are using Basic. That would just be really, really, really weird.

What I am finding these days is that most of those who are the most critical, the most outraged, of anothers style or control set-up are the ones struggling the most with a specific aspect(s) of the game, so take to lashing out.

But they never, ever, ever, ever post evidence. None. Ever. They just say something and hope it sticks.

They'll just say stuff like "9/10 it is a rocket shot", "defenders score from distance ALL the time", "nobody knows how to defend", "passing is broken", "defending is broken", "the passing is ping-pong", "BABY MODE!" But never, NEVER, post any supporting evidence backing up a claim beyond perhaps one example.

I was a full manual player but then switched to advanced shooting ..manual in 17 just didn't have the shot variety for my and basic was unfullfilling..probably stick with it in 18 although might switch to pa1 depending on how chaotic it is...had some good games on 18 beta but manual passing was a lot more free than 17 but that can kill the individuality..hopefully pa 1 is not too assited it over rules a pass

In all fairness Deco, you say not all manual players are snobs and while I can safely I wouldn't consider you to act like one, I don't think you can honestly say that holds true for others. Not if this conversation (and others) is anything to go by.

Unless I am missing something and all these folk saying Advanced Shooting is "baby mode" (or at least inferring it) are using Basic. That would just be really, really, really weird.

What I am finding these days is that most of those who are the most critical, the most outraged, of anothers style or control set-up are the ones struggling the most with a specific aspect(s) of the game, so take to lashing out.

But they never, ever, ever, ever post evidence. None. Ever. They just say something and hope it sticks.

They'll just say stuff like "9/10 it is a rocket shot", "defenders score from distance ALL the time", "nobody knows how to defend", "passing is broken", "defending is broken", "the passing is ping-pong", "BABY MODE!" But never, NEVER, post any supporting evidence backing up a claim beyond perhaps one example.

Fair enough Curdstar, the only reason that I use manual is to break away from the restrictions of assisted shooting and passing I find manual a little bit more unpredictable. .it is probably harder but so what. . regarding video evidence for proving a point I did put up a vid from the beta about scripting where my defender clearly allows the ball to go through to the forward to score when he had it covered and it wasn't input from me that made him act the way he did.

Anyway.. looking forward to the demo and more vids from yourself and the rest of the lads.

I'll respond to this bit though, since I'm waiting for my train:
It's still too assisted, in real life you can "pick" the top corner but hit the corner flag, you hardly ever see really bad shots in PES except with manual.

In manual it's YOU that misses that badly. Not the player. When you shoot wildly off target with manual, the player is deliberately missing the goal, instead hitting a pretty accurate and powerful shot at the arbitrary target you've picked instead. It's a similar argument to how advanced shots have far, far greater trajectories and variation in speed than manual shots, because it looks at how much the user fills up the power bar.

Ideally we want all control schemes to have the same variety, executed in different ways, but we're not there yet. The question in the meantime is whether you want a game where there are more (flat and powerful) shots going well wide but it's because of your thumb, or better shot variety where the power and direction you select both interact with player stats much more closely.

Stop trying to turn this into a PES vs fifa discussion

I personally do not like fifas unrealistic shooting speed and trajectories.
im not, just saying the slow motion shots needs a bit of addressing, anw back on topin i sincerely hope we have a good game this year from all aspects

I'll respond to this bit though, since I'm waiting for my train:

In manual it's YOU that misses that badly. Not the player. When you shoot wildly off target with manual, the player is deliberately missing the goal, instead hitting a pretty accurate and powerful shot at the arbitrary target you've picked instead. It's a similar argument to how advanced shots have far, far greater trajectories and variation in speed than manual shots, because it looks at how much the user fills up the power bar.

Ideally we want all control schemes to have the same variety, executed in different ways, but we're not there yet. The question in the meantime is whether you want a game where there are more (flat and powerful) shots going well wide but it's because of your thumb, or better shot variety where the power and direction you select both interact with player stats much more closely.

I agree totally, but for me in the mean time manual is the only way to play that makes it feel rewarding to score because there is enough potential for error that "getting one right" actually means something, even if it is far from perfect realism wise.

I'd love to see it that if a ball is coming across your body from left to right for example and I aim top left sometimes it should slice horribly wide, whatever setting you are on. I feel like I am preaching to the choir on this one though so I will stop and look forward to trying the demo.

I just scored a humdinger on the PES mobile game and realised the shooting mechanics maybe better than the full game :D

You could hit a shot into row G and know exactly why it happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why have my words been edited?
An argument that was getting personal had just seemingly been resolved, when you made a thinly-veiled attack on the original poster. I edited your post - you should have received an automatically generated PM with the reasoning. If you didn't, the last forum software upgrade may have screwed it up, so apologies for that.

We've repeatedly tried to stop these threads turning into petty arguments and rid them of personal bullshit and thinly-veiled attacks, sarcastic or otherwise. To paraphrase @Lami from earlier in this thread, this is aimed at everybody - if it means editing posts to keep the salient points, that's the least that we can do.

People don't want to open this thread to read childish "lol this guy is an idiot" style crap - nor do they want to see mod posts like this. It's getting beyond a joke.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, long time lurker here. Just wanted to say how much i enjoyed the beta. Finally i feel that PES is getting back to the glory days with its gameplay. A few tweaks are needed between now & release for sure but so far so good.
Can't wait for the demo to see how it performs offline and look forward to getting involved in the discussion. Personally i think this game has the potential to surpass all before it!!, time will tell.

You know what, trying one shot from an absurd position once in a lifetime (e.g. van Basten) or once every 3 or 4 matches (when playing PES online, but it also applies to FIFA) is a thing, trying to exploit the game by trying the same exact weird shot (or pass, like the LB+Y passes that used to be unstoppable in FIFA until a couple of years ago) just 'cause you know it's overly effective (I dare say OP) is a different thing.
People like those abusers are the reason I decided to call it quits and almost only play offline now (very rarely I go online and it's only against selected friends).

Agreed!
What you typed in the bold part is the best solution to play online.
These players, modders, hackers, quitters, spammers etc...We saw them in so many other games.
Counter Strike, Battlefield etc...what did we do there? Searched for the best servers with the best anti cheat software or the most active admins to get rid of campers, sniper noobs etc.
And for PES, just play against selected players.
Had a friend from a german forum, played a couple of full manual games on PES 2017 and those were the best online matches I had.
But since he got quite busy I checked for full manual communities on PSN, but they been quite inactive.
Doesn´t necessarily have to be full manual, but for example people from here.
Get connected, play games and if there is proper football to be played stick to it.

I was totaly surprised how many diffrent opponents i had, playing fm.
I hope alot of People give FM a Chance, never been so nice to play it, as on PES 18 BETA.
also love to Play myClub, but in recent years it was not possible to fm on myClub.

The filters should recognise manuel shooting iswell and it shouldnt be changeable in middle of the game.

Saying that advanced shooting is baby mode is plain stupid. In real life when you take a shot you pick a target and try to hit it. Sure there isn't a target but your pick your spot out, the success of which depends on the time on the ball and your ability. The advanced shooting trues to replicate that and I am pretty sure you can turn off that target as well.
yup fully agree

It can only be judged for online stability not gameplay so not sure what to make of it tbh.

Connectivity was good for me 90% of the time quick match and 70% of the time CO OP

Game play is much much slower
Dribbling seems easier and defending somewhat harder but tbh if you keep defensive shape well it can be a powerful weapon against any attacker

Shooting is much the same as PES 2017 on basic

Passing is freer and looser on Pass assistance one and sublime on manual

Pitch is huge and the ball moves at a nice pace across the turf with better physics than 2017 imo.

Well, the beta ruined PES2017 myClub for me, which I am oddly happy about. Two totally different games, so far as online play goes.
Yeah, I tried going back to continue my ML - let alone the online play which is 1,000x better in the beta - and it all feels a bit fast-forward. Even the graphics in the beta have made 2017 look dated, which I didn't expect. Roll on release time.

Yeah, I tried going back to continue my ML - let alone the online play which is 1,000x better in the beta - and it all feels a bit fast-forward. Even the graphics in the beta have made 2017 look dated, which I didn't expect. Roll on release time.

I read Bhatti on Twitter asking several times to different people to go back and try PES 2017 then play the Beta again (in response to when some said it was just like PES 2017).

Well, the beta ruined PES2017 myClub for me, which I am oddly happy about. Two totally different games, so far as online play goes.

Absolutely same here.
I want that friggin triple agent and force myself to keep on playing the online challenge which isn't really satisfying against assisted users.

Loved the beta please have read of my impressions if you have a minute. First blog for my website. Appreciate it.
Thanks Chris

https://www.thecontextualworld.com/single-post/2017/07/26/PES-2018-BETA-IMPRESSIONS
i really like the second last episode. got your podcast subscribed. keep it coming.
that cake eating noises made me grin like forever...
I-Regret-Nothing-Nothing-Funny-Eating-Meme-Image.jpg

sometimes its not easy for me to listen to that bristish accent but its cool! sounds sophisticated! ;)

after moving to my new appartment last weekend i have a lot of stuff to manage. but ill lurk here and will be back with more comments by mid august. see you guys...!

Loved the beta please have read of my impressions if you have a minute. First blog for my website. Appreciate it.
Thanks Chris

https://www.thecontextualworld.com/single-post/2017/07/26/PES-2018-BETA-IMPRESSIONS

Hey Chris, I clicked on the link to have a look. Just some feedback, but I found the white text hard to read without getting eye strain. Not sure if it's the blue background or the black overall background. I'm on a 21 inch widescreen monitor and the text sits just in the middle. Maybe it would be easier on my phone. If I get a chance I'll have a look on there soon so I can read the content.

Back
Top Bottom